AZ Dunk? | The Boneyard

AZ Dunk?

Reaction Score
Over the years we've had several discussions on several players dunking. As far as I know no one has brought the topic up regarding AZ that I know of.
I'm not of fan of dunking; just curious.

Reaction Score
A dunk would make "hero ball" headlines for AZ, overshadowing the team play that Geno stresses.
That's one reason I don't like it.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
That's one reason I don't like it.
I think that a well orchestrated alley oop that results in a dunk would meet the team play criteria, if she can dunk. But again, I do think that it might be against Geno's coaching principles because it was often mentioned during Stewie's junior and senior years that she could dunk but I don't think that she ever did it during a game, even on a breakaway basket.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Only enjoyed one player dunking. . . Spud Web. No interest in watching players sucking air from the team trying to setup for the dunk.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
A dunk would make "hero ball" headlines for AZ, overshadowing the team play that Geno stresses.
That's why I was turned onto UConn WBB, they play the game below the rim and as a team. The way that John Wooden taught it when he was great.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
John Wooden had to teach that way at the end of his career due to the "Lew Alcindor" rule.
John Wooden always taught that way, he always thought that the game should be played as a team and below the rim.

Reaction Score
more fans will want to watch dunks. I don't mean "soft" dunks. Thought they'd want to see "slam" dunks. We're a minority that don't care if we see or not. You get player's able to throw it down-- the game will generate more fans.

Reaction Score
These replies are some of the most ridiculous opinions I’ve ever seen. In what way does dunking take away from team ball? If anything, it helps inspire team morale and teamwork through setting up a lob. Dunking should be part of the women’s game if a player can do it. Do y’all honestly think Geno would ever discourage a player from dunking?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno at one point guaranteed Maya would dunk before she graduated. She tried a couple times but didn't quite fulfill his prediction.

Geno is on the record as saying he's OK with a dunk as long as it's the best option available and the right person is doing it. It is a ver y high percentage shot.

Reaction Score
I recall that Moriah tried to set Stewie up for a dunk. It was an away game - I think at Houston. Stewie didnt make the dunk but she rattled the rim which lit up the crowd. Geno said something about Stewie looking at him and grinning on the way down the floor and he thought she was going to trip and she needed to "get over herself"! (He was chuckling as he said it)
ETA: Found it. It was at SMU and it was an attempt at following a Jefferson miss.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I recall that Moriah tried to set Stewie up for a dunk. It was an away game - I think at Houston. Stewie didnt make the dunk but she rattled the rim which lit up the crowd. Geno said something about Stewie looking at him and grinning on the way down the floor and he thought she was going to trip and she needed to "get over herself"! (He was chuckling as he said it)
ETA: Found it. It was at SMU and it was an attempt at following a Jefferson miss.
After one of her diving-on-to-the-media-table-to-steal-the-ball-and-make-a-behind-the-back-pass-for-a-fast-break plays, Moriah chided Stewie for not dunking the ball.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
John Wooden had to teach that way at the end of his career due to the "Lew Alcindor" rule.
Wooden did not like the dunk. He was all for the elimination of the dunk rule.

Reaction Score
Dunking was illegal in College Basketball from 1967 to 1976.

Reaction Score
That's why I was turned onto UConn WBB, they play the game below the rim and as a team. The way that John Wooden taught it when he was great.
Me, too. If I never saw a dunk in a WCBB game, it'd be fine with me.

Reaction Score
John Wooden retired in 1975. I'd like to think the game has evolved in 40 years.

Hopefully not toward dunking, which alters team strategy, can fire up an opponent, and can humiliate a player who misses (and in WCBB, that certainly has happened). An increasing number of dunks does nothing to advance the game except to make it more like a sport we already have - men's college basketball.

Reaction Score
I do not need to see it, but to act as if it is bad for the game does not make sense. The problem with the men's game at times (pros too) is about isolation and me ball, not the dunk. Like to see if the recruit from Canada comes here and throws some down how the reaction will be? Watching the highlights when it did happen the fans exploded, I am sure most fans instinctively both home and away here would too.

That said, I am old school and the player should not act like they hit the game winning shoot of the NC game at the buzzer.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
John Wooden retired in 1975. I'd like to think the game has evolved in 40 years.

I like the dunk also. I was responding to a post about dunking.

Reaction Score
These replies are some of the most ridiculous opinions I’ve ever seen. In what way does dunking take away from team ball? If anything, it helps inspire team morale and teamwork through setting up a lob. Dunking should be part of the women’s game if a player can do it. Do y’all honestly think Geno would ever discourage a player from dunking?
I absolutely think Geno would discourage an attempted dunk if a lay up was a higher percentage shot.

Reaction Score
I think that a well orchestrated alley oop that results in a dunk would meet the team play criteria, if she can dunk. But again, I do think that it might be against Geno's coaching principles because it was often mentioned during Stewie's junior and senior years that she could dunk but I don't think that she ever did it during a game, even on a breakaway basket.
I always thought Stewie was saving it for her last game as a swan song, but it never happened.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom