Ayanna working on her shot | The Boneyard

Ayanna working on her shot

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Coaches, why practice shooting while sitting?

Just a guess. She’s focusing on grooving the mechanics of her release so they’re consistent every time. That’s what makes. Azzi, Azzi. Her upper body mechanics when shooting are astonishingly consistent.

Reaction Score
Just a guess. She’s focusing on grooving the mechanics of her release so they’re consistent every time. That’s what makes. Azzi, Azzi. Her upper body mechanics when shooting are astonishingly consistent.
Exactly. You want the mechanics of your release to be unaffected by your jump or whatever your legs have to do to get the shot off. I like that she’s also reinforcing a high release point. Many players aren’t strong enough in the arms (especially the forearms and wrists) to do this beyond the midrange. The great perimeter shooters, like Azzi, maintain the same mechanics wherever they are.

Reaction Score
The comparisons to Azzi's fundamental are interesting here, as are the mechanics of the shot release in combination with wehat your legs have to do with the shot. It seems to me that Ayanna and Azzi are at different extremes regarding the mechanics. Azzi moves quickly but also smoothly and when she rises up for a shot her body is almost always under control.

Ayanna's moves are generally very fast and strong but not under control. She has relied so much on her physical ability, but in terms of slowing things down a little, learning how to read the defensive player, shielding the ball from the defender, and using deception and fakes, she is pretty much at ground zero. In high school she could succeed just with her physical superiority, but not anymore.

Reaction Score
Fantastic, if she can become comfortable shooting a midrange jumper, which will then make her defender have to come guard her, it will open up the basket for her to drive or pass off to an open teammate. Both her scoring and rebounds will increase. Love the fact that she is working to become an impact player. Go girl!

Reaction Score
Like others have said, sitting helps with the overall shooting mechanics; correct hand placement, proper shooting pocket, good arm extension and follow through, allows you to rely on the strength of your back, shoulders, and shooting arm and wrist.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Coaches, why practice shooting while sitting?

It was evident when watching her shoot foul shots last season that she has a flat trajectory on them. One of the keys to shooting, along with hand placement on the ball and rotation, is learning to aim up and over the front rim. Not at it. This drill helps ingrain the proper arc, shoot it too flat and it hits the bottom of the rim. Then she can progress to standing shots and then jump shots. And finally on to catch and shoot on the move and dribbling into shots. It’s nice to see that she has the motivation to put in the work.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Sorry to disagree:

I always thought a one-handed shot should start through leg motion...the whole motion being a balletic dip and rise up gracefully ...with the upper body and arms playing a much lesser role...until the wrist

Back in the dark ages (50's)
That's the way Carl Braun of the Knicks and Bill Sharman of the Celtics described it...

I (not very athletic) followed their instruction assiduously...and learned to shoot it that way with a minimum of velocity and a gentle spin...
Still do...

Reaction Score
When you watch Paige and Azzi, you see them rise up, leave the floor, and at the top of their jump (after they've stopped rising) they hold the ball high and flip it to the hoop. There's tons of slo-mo videos of this online. Slight as Paige seems, she has strong hands and forearms and can flip the ball from the perimeter without needing an assist from her leg muscles. Azzi has quite strong hands -- watch the way she holds the ball on free throws and you'll notice just how large her hands are. Caitlin shoots in this same way, except when she's shooting way beyond the arc -- then she launches the ball with more leg effort and not from the top of a jump. Many players just aren't strong enough (in their hands and wrists) to do this from the perimeter and compensate by releasing the ball lower, or jumping through the release point. This allows them to use more arm, shoulder and leg muscles in the shot, though it is easier to block and tends not to be as reliable, requiring so many more muscle groups to move in sync.

For my friends and me, growing up in the NY area, our role models were Clyde, Dick Barnett, and later Earl the Pearl. They used this same motion, flicking the ball with wrists alone at the top of a jump. And if the spin on the ball was slowly backwards, you felt good about it.

I spent so many summers as a kid working on my jump shot, but was never strong enough to do what these girls can do. Beyond 15 feet, my hands just didn't have the strength, which is no doubt why I was never a varsity athlete. I'm ambidextrous, can drive with either hand, developed various flip and spin shots. But I'm only 5'8", and without a reliable perimeter shot, I was too easy to guard in anything beyond pick up games. Foot quickness can only get you so far. This is why I am endlessly impressed by these kids!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Sorry to disagree:

I always thought a one-handed shot should start through leg motion...the whole motion being a balletic dip and rise up gracefully ...with the upper body and arms playing a much lesser role...until the wrist

That's the way Carl Braun of the Knicks and Bill Sharman of the Celtics described it...

I (not very athletic) followed their instruction assiduously...and learned to shoot it that way with a minimum of velocity and a gentle spin...
Still do...
Well I think that explains it.

Reaction Score
Back in the 50s a very common shot was the two handed set shot. Maybe Yanna is just expressing her creativity developing the sit shot!
Similarly, there was the UNDERHANDED two-handed foul shot. It would've been difficult sitting on that box, n-'est ce pas? ;)

Reaction Score
Great to see her working on her midrange game but I hope she's also concentrating on her footwork and how to make the proper adjustments on contested shots under the basket where she struggled so mightily last season........there's no reason she shouldn't be a double-digit scorer on shots within seven feet from the basket next season given the playing time....

Reaction Score
I'm surprised no one has said shooting, especially in rhythm is a whole body exercise. When I learned to shoot, I was taught to be square to the hoop. That means feet, knees, hips and shoulders. Without proper alignment you have to make adjustments to your ball release to make it square.
Once square, focus on proper upper body action , elbow out front, ball lift, release at arm extension, wrist flick and follow through.
Too many kids today make two primary mistakes in my opinion. First they stick a foot out that automatically takes you out of square. Secondly they shoot from their shoulder resulting in them pushing the ball at an angle rather than on an arc.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I think Paterson's problem is that she brings the ball down to her waist, which allows smaller players to "harass" her. She should model her game after Maddy Siegrist, who usually holds the ball above her head, both on shots and rebounds, and passing.

I'm probably not explaining this well, but watch Patterson play, and how many times she brings the ball down to waist height. I'd like to see her practice rebounding and shooting keeping the ball above her head. Then again, it's just an observation.

Reaction Score
I always wondered if her shot was affected by the fact that she has one good eye which should impact depth perception. This repetition should help that.

Reaction Score
This drill would have to be to gain strength in the shooting range without adding extra power from the legs. The form is something they would be working on regardless of whether they were standing or sitting. Like a couple other people have mentioned the key to shooting is quick elevation with a quick release. This drill will help to develop the quick release and extend range.

The old 1 hand shooting drill is very good too for developing form. It is hard to shoot the ball incorrectly with only one hand on it. I would add that one hand drills in a lot of areas help to develop good hands.

Reaction Score
I do this with my kids.only different with my workouts youll shoot while getting up to help with legs strength. For her form also and It's so they can use to that squat position. When you shoot its just not arm's legs are key to shooting midrange and long distance shots.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Sorry to disagree:

I do this with my kids.only different with my workouts youll shoot while getting up to help with legs strength. For her form also and It's so they can use to that squat position. When you shoot its just not arm's legs are key to shooting midrange and long distance shots.
True, no matter how good ur muscle memory in ur arm and wrist (mechanics) are, nothing kills a jumpsuit like tired legs.

Reaction Score
The comparisons to Azzi's fundamental are interesting here, as are the mechanics of the shot release in combination with wehat your legs have to do with the shot. It seems to me that Ayanna and Azzi are at different extremes regarding the mechanics. Azzi moves quickly but also smoothly and when she rises up for a shot her body is almost always under control.

Ayanna's moves are generally very fast and strong but not under control. She has relied so much on her physical ability, but in terms of slowing things down a little, learning how to read the defensive player, shielding the ball from the defender, and using deception and fakes, she is pretty much at ground zero. In high school she could succeed just with her physical superiority, but not anymore.?l
for the same reasons one would have a quarterback get down on his kneet to practice throwing. strength, accuracy mechanics

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So here’s the payoff. Ayanna is a physical specimen who can rebound and defend. If she can become a consistent scorer from 15’ in, the Huskies have another player, like Aaliyah Edwards, who is a nightmare matchup for opponents.

Reaction Score
I always wondered if her shot was affected by the fact that she has one good eye which should impact depth perception. This repetition should help that.
As a young kid I had several eye muscle operations to correct a wondering eye. I recall finding myself surprised to be about three feet to one side as I saw it drop, when fielding a fly ball. Years later I was told by an ophthalmologist that I alternated eyes so as not to have double vision and despite 'failing the depth perception test' I seemed to have adapted to have 'my own sense of depth perception'. As an adult at an optometrist, during an eye test I was asked what I did for a living and I responded that I was a carpenter - she quipped that there was no way I could hit a nail with my lack of depth perception! I responded that I none the less seem to hit it every time. Perhaps, Ayanna has made similar adjustments to her assumed depth perception problem.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom