Ayanna Patterson and Confessions from a Borderline Dunker.... | The Boneyard

Ayanna Patterson and Confessions from a Borderline Dunker....

Reaction Score
Been watching videos of Ayanna dunking and I'm absolutely blown away. I'm convinced she will be the first Uconn women's player to throw one down in a game, and yes, it will count for exactly two points, the same as a layup. But it will make a bunch of us jump out of our seats and let's face it, watching a Uconn basketball game is like watching/listening to a concert/opera and there is nothing wrong with a nice crescendo:)

I've chuckled more than a few times over the years reading BY posts regarding the subject of a Uconn player dunking in a game including comments about Geno 'allowing' it. The truth of the matter is we have never had a player with real throw down capabilities. It is one thing to flush a well placed alley-oop pass or throw one down on an open court during practice.

Yes, I was that 6'1" guy in high school who lived for warm-ups. The 5-10 minutes of layup drills pre-game was my whole game! I would start with finger rolls, air drops and on a night I had extra bounce could throw down an actual, but just borderline dunk. Then I would sit the pine hoping to get in garbage time minutes (because I was simply not a good bb player):) But let me tell you from experience, being able to throw one down occasionally in a lay up line and trying to throw down a dunk in a game, against defense, with tired legs is a whole different game!

Yes, we have had a couple players like Stewie, Liv, Aubrey, and Gabby that could flush a perfectly placed alley-oop, and occasionally throw down that legit dunk on a cleared out floor-but they were borderline dunkers. In Ayanna, we have our first player that has simply crashed thru the dunk ceiling-as clearly demonstrated by that video showing her two legged, two handed throw down. I doubt there have been 5 women bb players who have done that.

So be ready for yet another Uconn player who makes us think before every game, "What will Ayanna do today"? Throw one down, grab 15 boards? My goodness, just when you think it can't get any better for us Uconn fans, along comes yet another game-changer!! Enjoy!!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
One of the worst things that happened to the men’s game was the media‘s over the top obsessive adoration of the dunk. Watch what you wish for!!
Started with that season of shattered backboards, and just went on from there - entertainment became as important as actually winning a game.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I hope no one on Connecticut dunks. If they lowered the basket as Shaquille O'Neal suggested, I would actually stop watching.
I think it was Tracy McGrady. And Stewie took the starch out of him

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
One of the main reasons why I love to watch the women's game over the men's is because it is fundamental basketball. It is played the way I was taught in the 60's, teamwork and below the rim. The other reason I like it is that in the women's game you get to see the star players for a minimum of 3 years, while in the men's it's one and done.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
I hope no one on Connecticut dunks. If they lowered the basket as Shaquille O'Neal suggested, I would actually stop watching.
Soooo.....if AP happens to casually throw one down, on a legit rim height, it'll actually stop you from watching the Uconn women? How abt we all email Geno and tell him to have her tone it down a little, the girl's worked on her game almost all her basketball playing life, she's a Skywalker and deserves to give her best effort, be it a jumpsuit, rebounding, great defensive, great teamate, or a dunking phenom, from the videos I've seen she's a combination of all......as always jmo

Reaction Score
there's simply no way for WBB to become dunk crazy............you can probably only count on one/two hands the number of players that can consistently even dunk in practice never mind during a game..............I think an enthusiastic dunk on occasion would bring some added attention to the women's game especially if it was accomplished by a UConn player.........

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
there's simply no way for WBB to become dunk crazy............you can probably only count on one/two hands the number of players that can consistently even dunk in practice never mind during a game..............I think an enthusiastic dunk on occasion would bring some added attention to the women's game especially if it was accomplished by a UConn player.........
Yeah, I remember being surprised when a guard in the NBA actually dunked. Course, part of that was someone like Russell or Wilt would have snapped a little guy in two if he ever tried that kind of thing a second time.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Totally agree ?

Reaction Score
Well this was suggested by Geno three years ago as well.
If I remember Auriemma's rationale when he recommended this, he thought it would facilitate better offensive flow to the women's game and lead to more scoring as it would raise the percentage of made lay-ups. He also noted it would require a commitment for universal adjustable backboards at all high schools.

Reaction Score
I watch the women's game also for the fundamentals. I watched a half of the Celtics today and couldn't have been less enthused. Great athletes, but no post play. Most of the time, there isn't even a player in the paint. UCONN and other great women's teams remind me of the 80's Celtics, Lakers etc with the type of game. Never Change!

Reaction Score
One of the worst things that happened to the men’s game was the media‘s over the top obsessive adoration of the dunk. Watch what you wish for!!
Like the home run or the TD pass they make a perfect :10 highlight, brought to you by Budweiser. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Like the home run or the TD pass they make a perfect :10 highlight, brought to you by Budweiser. :rolleyes:
Everything in the eyes of the beholder, different strokes for different folks makes the world go round.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Not sure how you equate dunks to ratings but the 2020 NBA Finals ratings were down almost 50% from 2019 with millions house bound so I’m not sure I agree
The Association became popular when LA showtime and Michael Jordan ruled the league and it hasn't looked back. Do you think it was a coincidence that these teams showcased dunks and transition BB? Why do you think there is a dunk contest every year, because people hate it? And here you're talking about one blip of a year when there were no fans in the stands. The fans energy on big dunks is what people love as well.

Reaction Score
The Association became popular when LA showtime and Michael Jordan ruled the league and it hasn't looked back. Do you think it was a coincidence that these teams showcased dunks and transition BB? Why do you think there is a dunk contest every year, because people hate it? And here you're talking about one blip of a year when there were no fans in the stands. The fans energy on big dunks is what people love as well.
Yes, I certainly think it was a coincidence; I don’t remotely think the popularity of Jordan and Magic’s teams were predicated on dunks. Good team ball, great passing as far as LA was concerned, the greatness of Jordan as an all around, clutch player.

IMO, there is a dunk contest every year to try to attract non-basketball fans to a sideshow; same as the three point contest.

As for TV ratings, thay have been consistently dropping, the Finals were just an example. Further, one would think people not being able to go to games or even socialize would serve to increase TV watching, not decrease it.

We just disagree.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom