Ayanna Patterson and Confessions from a Borderline Dunker.... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Ayanna Patterson and Confessions from a Borderline Dunker....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The dunks may make her rich but I liked that she stuffed either or both of Ducharme & Fudd in that all star game. Projected as a 1-4 shutdown defender.

I feel like I just won the big prize on ThePriceIsRight and the announcer keeps saying "Wait, there's more!"
I will go you one better. If Gabby could defend 1-5 at 5’11”, I would bet that Ayanna, at 6’2”, with her athleticism, can defend 1-5. Not that she will have to, but if you’re trying to play positionless basketball by switching on all screens, a player like Patterson who can defend anyone is a potential NDPOY.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Female dunks aren't going to happen often enough to change the game. Could be a fun play that draws certain fans and builds her reputation $$$.
And definitely puts you on Sportscenter, probably no. 1 in the top 10

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
She throws it down with more ease thn Grier, two handed dunks require serious hops, and I'm not talking abt the ones in beer.
Thank you doggie! Anyone that can’t see her potential needs to visit their optometrist. It’s not third year calculus. It’s simply believe what your eyes are telling you. She passes the eye test!! As a coach, when you get a player with extraordinary talent, you don’t try to suppress it. You cultivate and expand it. You don’t put a leash on that level of talent.

When you come to UConn, you learn how to play defense!!! Geno will take the defensive skills she’ll bring in and sharpen and hone them, just as he did with Jefferson, Gabby Williams and Kia Nurse. He knows how to teach players to play defense. It took 3 years, but Saniya Chong learned how to stay in front of her man. She couldn’t as a freshman. She was all offense in high school. She was never really asked to play defense.

Players that are “special”, don’t have to wear a sign around their neck saying so. You can see it. If you know special when you see it, and most of us do, just trust your eyes. Did you need your arm twisted to recognize/realize that Taurasi, Stewie, Sue Bird, Maya or Paige was special? Just believe what you see. She’s not an illusion, just special.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I’ll tell you one person that I’m absolutely certain wants to see Ayanna throw it down in a UConn uniform, and that would be Paige. I’m sure Paige can’t wait to lead a fast break with Ayanna busting it down the court on the wing. It will be Showtime, and let’s be honest, we’ll all be out of our seats when that happens.
What are the the odds that when Ayanna dunks the first time off an assist, it will be from Paige Buckets? :rolleyes:

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Thank you doggie! Anyone that can’t see her potential needs to visit their optometrist. It’s not third year calculus. It’s simply believe what your eyes are telling you. As a coach, when you get a player with extraordinary talent, you don’t try to suppress it. You cultivate and expand it. You don’t put a leash on that level of talent.

When you come to UConn, you learn how to play defense!!! Geno will take the defensive skills she’ll bring in and sharpen and hone them, just as he did with Jefferson, Gabby Williams and Kia Nurse. He knows how to teach players to play defense.

Players that are “special”, don’t have to wear a sign around their neck saying so. You can see it. If you know special when you see it, and most of us do, just trust your eyes. Did you need your arm twisted to recognize/realize that Taurasi, Stewie, Sue Bird, Maya or Paige was special? Just believe what you see. She’s not an illusion, just special.
Carnac, Just a few days ago we were writing about the potential and our future with the addition of Ayanna as a Husky. Now it's to dunk or not to dunk, will it or won't it ruin our game. As I remember it, First big fuss over dunking was over B. G. from Baylor, the end of fairness in WCBB as we knew it. Problem was Brittney was about 50% as advertised, her attempted dunks were abysmal and imo DOA. The only part of her game that really was above and beyond were the shots she blocked. Ayanna's game is already head and shoulders above anything Britney ever showed us.
Now, as we discussed before it has started 1 1\2 year before her arrival in Storrs, #22 's abilities are on a legendary trajectory. When she steps on the UCONN court I want her to dunk, I need her to dunk. Not a lot just when appropriate and in the flow of the game. It's time, let the ideas and opinions out, I want to hear and read them. My thoughts, If Ayanna wants it she can be one of the best power players in UCONN and WCBB history, one future players are compared to. I fully expect to see her banner flying high in the company of greatness.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Carnac, Just a few days ago we were writing about the potential and our future with the addition of Ayanna as a Husky. Now it's to dunk or not to dunk, will it or won't it ruin our game. As I remember it, First big fuss over dunking was over B. G. from Baylor, the end of fairness in WCBB as we knew it. Problem was Brittney was about 50% as advertised, her attempted dunks were abysmal and imo DOA. The only part of her game that really was above and beyond were the shots she blocked. Ayanna's game is already head and shoulders above anything Britney ever showed us.
Now, as we discussed before it has started 1 1\2 year before her arrival in Storrs, #22 's abilities are on a legendary trajectory. When she steps on the UCONN court I want her to dunk, I need her to dunk. Not a lot just when appropriate and in the flow of the game. It's time, let the ideas and opinions out, I want to hear and read them. My thoughts, If Ayanna wants it she can be one of the best power players in UCONN and WCBB history, one future players are compared to. I fully expect to see her banner flying high in the company of greatness.
Slide over, I’ll join you. She has the athleticism and will get the minutes. She could play with UConn this year, just as Azzi could have last year.

Speaking of banners, I expect to see her name and number displayed in the “Huskies of Honor“ section in Gampel Pavilion BEFORE her senior year. The same with Azzi.…. before her senior year. Paige has already done it.

Last edited:

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Thank you doggie! Anyone that can’t see her potential needs to visit their optometrist. It’s not third year calculus. It’s simply believe what your eyes are telling you. As a coach, when you get a player with extraordinary talent, you don’t try to suppress it. You cultivate and expand it. You don’t put a leash on that level of talent.

When you come to UConn, you learn how to play defense!!! Geno will take the defensive skills she’ll bring in and sharpen and hone them, just as he did with Jefferson, Gabby Williams and Kia Nurse. He knows how to teach players to play defense. It took 3 years, but Saniya Chong learned how to stay in front of her man. She couldn’t as a freshman.

THIS POST IS FIRE ..my vote for post of the day!!.....we need a Love icon!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Travelled though
Don’t think so. Basketball rules allow a player to take one full stride and then land on two feet. So long as you don’t pick up one of those two feet and put it down again, before passing or shooting, it’s not traveling. Watching Ayanna in the video, I don’t see traveling.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
When a dunk, is the better/easier shot. Sure.

In the the flow of the game, great.

The only player that caused me to be impressed by Dunking was an is Spud Webb.

Being tall/big has nothing to do with skill.

I personally would love to see a rule that if a players foot makes contact with the floor within 7 feet of the basket (including out of bounds) after scoring it's only worth 1 point. But, hey. That's just my opinion on dunking.

I can think of a lot of players who would have had a better game by practicing free throws instead of trying to dunk.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Dunking yes or dunking no.......Ayanna Patterson is the real deal.
And we can expect her to flush down a lot of dunks during her college career whether we want her to or not. :D

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
And we can expect her to flush down a lot of dunks during her college career whether we want her to or not. :D
As Geno has said in the past 'I don't care if you do it, but you better not miss.' For Patterson is a high percentage play.

Reaction Score
Yes, we have had a couple players like Stewie, Liv, Aubrey, and Gabby that could flush a perfectly placed alley-oop, and occasionally throw down that legit dunk on a cleared out floor-but they were borderline dunkers. In Ayanna, we have our first player that has simply crashed thru the dunk ceiling-as clearly demonstrated by that video showing her two legged, two handed throw down. I doubt there have been 5 women bb players who have done that.
“But success on the court was neither new nor surprising for Stewart. She gained the skills to make her successful through months of practice with local trainer Pete Moore. Stewart met Moore when she was in eighth grade, and he continued to train her all the way through her senior year at UConn.
“I always trained her to win,” Moore said.
Moore also taught her how to dunk. While the perfect dunks at the McDonald’s All-American Game shocked viewers, Moore had seen better when they were at the gym.
“People really didn’t see that what you saw on TV is what I had her doing at school. She was doing tomahawks, one-hands — I mean she was doing incredible stuff,” Moore said. “And that day I brought her father up and sat him in the gym … and he said, ‘All we need is one person to see her do that.’”

Sounds like Breanna has been able to do an array of dunks for a long time but chooses not to. No idea why Breanna doesn’t but it will be great to Patterson do it in a Husky uniform.

Last edited:

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
I played college ball during the no dunk era. You’re right about no dunking during warmups = automatic technical to begin the game, or the 2nd half. :mad: I did get away with several dunks though. I flushed it hard with two hands without touching the rim. The opposing coaches always cried foul, but the refs never called me on it. The NCAA instituted that rule (1967-1976) specifically for Alcindor, but it effected a lot of players that came behind him. That no dunk rule was also extended down the high school level as well. I hated it.:mad:
I also despised tht rule in high school, but in my school we were allowed to dunk in the layup line without a technical , as long as the refs weren't at the court.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
“But success on the court was neither new nor surprising for Stewart. She gained the skills to make her successful through months of practice with local trainer Pete Moore. Stewart met Moore when she was in eighth grade, and he continued to train her all the way through her senior year at UConn.
“I always trained her to win,” Moore said.
Moore also taught her how to dunk. While the perfect dunks at the McDonald’s All-American Game shocked viewers, Moore had seen better when they were at the gym.
“People really didn’t see that what you saw on TV is what I had her doing at school. She was doing tomahawks, one-hands — I mean she was doing incredible stuff,” Moore said. “And that day I brought her father up and sat him in the gym … and he said, ‘All we need is one person to see her do that.’”

Sounds like Breanna has been able to do an array of dunks for a long time but chooses not to. No idea why Breanna doesn’t but it will be great to Patterson do it in a Husky uniform.
I thk Stewie can definitely dunk.....but only off of a one foot jump, it's the two foot hop tht sets AP apart.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
As a former 6’2” “vertically challenged” PF, I just want to say to all you guys who could dunk a basketball in HS or college that I hate you guys……:(
This is mainly in response to you oldude and Carnac both of you have recently alluded to your BB days of past glory, this is where I insert myself. It seems we have a number of things in common while we have some stark differences. If we are to be believed we are all within a year or two of each other in age, we are within an inch or so in height, we all played a ton of BB, you guys in a more organized manner than I. While I played hours a day the furthest my game took me was pick ups and various rec leagues where my specialties were defense, passing, setting picks and screens and a couple times a game letting a 25 footer fly.
Carnac could kinda slam and oldude can't, as a result oldude hates Carnac {I feel a feud coming on,} I think I'm safe I can't jump so I don't have to worry about being hated for that. Both you guys had BB skills that I only dreamt about, I played like a football defensive end. Guys it all comes down to muscle fibers, There are fast twitch, speed and jumping. Slow twitch-endurance and strength. Our classifications as I see it. Carnac mostly fast twitch. Oldude you seem to have a combo of both leaning more towards slow twitch. I unfortunately seem to have no twitch muscles. I have almost no speed, I can't jump much higher than the second row of the net cords. I guess I could hate all of you, dunkers or not but I will continue to hate my muscles. I hope you guys get over your differences and hate.:cool:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I thk Stewie can definitely dunk.....but only off of a one foot jump, it's the two foot hop tht sets AP apart.
That and the fact that she does it so effortlessly!! :cool: There are hops, then there are HOPPS. Ayanna has HOPPS. It is my honest opinion (right now) that after her sophomore year, and 60+ games, NO ONE will question her leaping ability. Look at all of the time she'll spend in the weight room between now and then.

A few Former NBA "sky walkers" with major HOPPS.......David Thompson, Darrell Griffith (48" vertical), Julius (Dr. J) Erving, Wilt Chamberlin (48" vertical), Harold Minor, Michael Jordan (46" vertical), Zach Levine (46" vertical), Jason Richardson (46" vertical), Spud Webb (46" vertical), Muggsy Bogues (44.3 vertical) and Kobe. There are many others, these are just a few. [LINK]

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
One of the worst things that happened to the men’s game was the media‘s over the top obsessive adoration of the dunk. Watch what you wish for!!
I agree. It is all attention getting: LOOK AT ME!.......I have just about stopped watching the men's games: Dunking, multiple tattoos, odd hair styles, and color of hair, and some even wear different sneakers than the rest of the team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom