Ayanna Patterson and Confessions from a Borderline Dunker.... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Ayanna Patterson and Confessions from a Borderline Dunker....

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
That and the fact that she does it so effortlessly!! :cool: There are hops, then there are HOPPS. Ayanna has HOPPS. It is my honest opinion (right now) that after her sophomore year, and 60+ games, NO ONE will question her leaping ability. Look at all of the time she'll spend in the weight room between now and then.

A few Former NBA "sky walkers" with major HOPPS.......David Thompson, Darrell Griffith (48" vertical), Julius (Dr. J) Erving, Wilt Chamberlin (48" vertical), Harold Minor, Michael Jordan (46" vertical), Zach Levine (46" vertical), Jason Richardson (46" vertical), Spud Webb (46" vertical), Muggsy Bogues (44.3 vertical) and Kobe. There are many others, these are just a few. [LINK]
Thts an VERY impressive list, David Thompson wasn't seen much but tht man could SKY.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
This is mainly in response to you oldude and Carnac both of you have recently alluded to your BB days of past glory, this is where I insert myself. It seems we have a number of things in common while we have some stark differences. If we are to be believed we are all within a year or two of each other in age, we are within an inch or so in height, we all played a ton of BB, you guys in a more organized manner than I. While I played hours a day the furthest my game took me was pick ups and various rec leagues where my specialties were defense, passing, setting picks and screens and a couple times a game letting a 25 footer fly.
Carnac could kinda slam and oldude can't, as a result oldude hates Carnac {I feel a feud coming on,} I think I'm safe I can't jump so I don't have to worry about being hated for that. Both you guys had BB skills that I only dreamt about, I played like a football defensive end. Guys it all comes down to muscle fibers, There are fast twitch, speed and jumping. Slow twitch-endurance and strength. Our classifications as I see it. Carnac mostly fast twitch. Oldude you seem to have a combo of both leaning more towards slow twitch. I unfortunately seem to have no twitch muscles. I have almost no speed, I can't jump much higher than the second row of the net cords. I guess I could hate all of you, dunkers or not but I will continue to hate my muscles. I hope you guys get over your differences and hate.:cool:
Cheer up, there are dunkers so there's gotta be people to get dunked on

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
and some even wear different sneakers than the rest of the team.

Shocked Uh Oh GIF

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I guess my lot in life is as a poster child.:eek:
If you play basketball, at some point, you're going to get dunked on, either by your man, or someone else's. EVERYBODY that steps on to a court understands THAT. :confused: Remember that old Candid Camera introduction? "Sometime, some place when you least expect it"......... BANG!!! you get served and posterised. (sp) How many times have you seen a guard drive the lane and dunk on the 7 foot "rim protector" on duty? :eek:

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This is mainly in response to you oldude and Carnac both of you have recently alluded to your BB days of past glory, this is where I insert myself. It seems we have a number of things in common while we have some stark differences. If we are to be believed we are all within a year or two of each other in age, we are within an inch or so in height, we all played a ton of BB, you guys in a more organized manner than I. While I played hours a day the furthest my game took me was pick ups and various rec leagues where my specialties were defense, passing, setting picks and screens and a couple times a game letting a 25 footer fly.
Carnac could kinda slam and oldude can't, as a result oldude hates Carnac {I feel a feud coming on,} I think I'm safe I can't jump so I don't have to worry about being hated for that. Both you guys had BB skills that I only dreamt about, I played like a football defensive end. Guys it all comes down to muscle fibers, There are fast twitch, speed and jumping. Slow twitch-endurance and strength. Our classifications as I see it. Carnac mostly fast twitch. Oldude you seem to have a combo of both leaning more towards slow twitch. I unfortunately seem to have no twitch muscles. I have almost no speed, I can't jump much higher than the second row of the net cords. I guess I could hate all of you, dunkers or not but I will continue to hate my muscles. I hope you guys get over your differences and hate.:cool:
To be clear, I love Carnac. I just hate the fact that he could dunk…..

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Thank goodness we got this cleared up, I will sleep better tonight knowing Carnac has nothing to fear from an out of control PF. We can now return to the work of the BY.

Reaction Score
Gere's one more vote against the dunk. I'd be happy if they made it illegal in the women's game. It is one of 3 or 4 things that make WBB much more fun to watch than MBB. We are in the process of losing one of them -- the fact that women stay together for four years, allowing them more than enough time to become a cohesive team on the court. With what is, in essence, free agency, that is a thing of the past, and it will hurt the game badly.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Gere's one more vote against the dunk. I'd be happy if they made it illegal in the women's game. It is one of 3 or 4 things that make WBB much more fun to watch than MBB. We are in the process of losing one of them -- the fact that women stay together for four years, allowing them more than enough time to become a cohesive team on the court. With what is, in essence, free agency, that is a thing of the past, and it will hurt the game
You would really make it illegal for a young lady to dunk? Wow, and wht would be the penalty for the offense? Technical foul , ejection, or being stoned or flogged at half court. Whn it happens, and I do believe tht its gonna happen, there will be a little buzz for awhile and thn blend into the game as a whole. There will never be full scale dunk fest like the men's game. Look at it as...evolution

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I agree. It is all attention getting: LOOK AT ME!.......I have just about stopped watching the men's games: Dunking, multiple tattoos, odd hair styles, and color of hair, and some even wear different sneakers than the rest of the team.
Some wear different sneakers on each foot.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Thanks OD. To be clear, I was blessed with mega hops. Remember, I'm 6'9". I could stand under the basket flat-footed while palming a ball in each hand, jump up and dunk BOTH balls with ease. :eek: I couldn't shoot worth a da**, which is why I got all of my points in the paint. The 3 point line was 10 years away from coming into existence. My coach would have sat me if I even thought about shooting that far away from the basket. He told me "I got shooters. I just need you to block shots and get rebounds." So that's what I did. I had already learned how to block (or change) shots without fouling. Any points I got was gravy. :)

One thing I could never do, and Lord knowns I tried many times, was to dunk from a running start and take off from the free throw line (15' away). :( Julius "Dr. J" Irving did it during a recent (at that time) dunk contest. Jordan also did it. I never saw Dominique Wilkins do it, but I'm pretty sure he could have. Man, THAT was a bridge too far. :)

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Thanks OD. To be clear, I was blessed with mega hops. Remember, I'm 6'9". I could stand under the basket flat-footed while palming a ball in each hand, jump up and dunk BOTH balls with ease. :eek: I couldn't shoot worth a da**, which is why I got all of my points in the paint. The 3 point line was 10 years away from coming into existence. My coach would have sat me if I even thought about shooting that far away from the basket. He told me "I got shooters. I just need you to block shots and get rebounds." So that's what I did. I had already learned how to block (or change) shots without fouling. Any points I got was gravy. :)

One thing I could never do, and Lord knowns I tried many times, was to dunk from a running start and take off from the free throw line (15' away). :( Julius "Dr. J" Irving did it during a recent (at that time) dunk contest. Jordan also did it. I never saw Dominique Wilkins do it, but I'm pretty sure he could have. Man, THAT was a bridge too far. :)
Sorry Carnac I seem to have gotten your height wrong, even with elevator socks on I never made it to 6'2". Happy you an OD played along with the dunk controversy, things are slow in the BB world so I wanted to have a little fun and pulled you and OD in, maybe a few people had a laugh or two. OK I have a confession to make I did dunk, it was in my living room where I had a nerf BB set up. There it's out and I feel better. :cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom