Awful. Just awful. | The Boneyard

Awful. Just awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No, I'm not talking about the refs. I expect them to be bad every women's game, and they certainly didn't disappoint.

The lack of ability to close games is becoming a constant theme with this group of players. It's what did them in in the Final Four a year ago, and ultimately what lost them the game against a mediocre Notre Dame team today. (I don't care about their record - they're not very good.)

UConn had multiple chances to go up by 3+, and they took one awful shot after another. More importantly, after KML, there isn't a single player on this team I want with the ball at the end of close games.

Worst of all, though, was the defensive breakdown that led to Diggins' game-winning free throws. First, Hartley lets Diggins breeze right by her late in a one-point game, and none of the held defenders even saw it happen. In a game of awful mistakes, that was the worst.

UConn will probably beat Notre Dame by 30 next game (seriously, they're not good), but it's hard to trust this team in close games right now.

Reaction Score
We sure didn't look good today. Offense was almost non-existent at times. Everyone seemed to be so up tight.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
No, I'm not talking about the refs. I expect them to be bad every women's game, and they certainly didn't disappoint.

The lack of ability to close games is becoming a constant theme with this group of players. It's what did them in in the Final Four a year ago, and ultimately what lost them the game against a mediocre Notre Dame team today. (I don't care about their record - they're not very good.)

UConn had multiple chances to go up by 3+, and they took one awful shot after another. More importantly, after KML, there isn't a single player on this team I want with the ball at the end of close games.

Worst of all, though, was the defensive breakdown that led to Diggins' game-winning free throws. First, Hartley lets Diggins breeze right by her late in a one-point game, and none of the held defenders even saw it happen. In a game of awful mistakes, that was the worst.

UConn will probably beat Notre Dame by 30 next game (seriously, they're not good), but it's hard to trust this team in close games right now.

Notre Dame is not mediocre, for starters. But having said that, UConn has better talent and should have won the game. But, as I said in another thread, this particularl UConn team does not play tough against ND down the stretch.

Much like Taurasi, Diggins gives this ND team a certain toughness. That's missing on UConn right now.

Reaction Score
Not just Diggins. Can someone on UConn, anyone, stop McBride. Based on today, the answer is "absolutely not."

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The thing, Cat, is this UCONN team on paper has more talent. ND lost so much last year, and yet they come to UCONN and win. I totally get that's why the games are played, but something isn't right with the game preparation and coaching when a UCONN team with superior talent can't win a game like this.

One can point to shooting ourselves in the foot, or whatever, but the coaches need to figure out why more talent can't win a game like this...

There was no scenario i foresaw where UCONN lost this game. None. Having said that, give ND credit. They made the shots and plays they had to and UCONN simply did not.

Reaction Score

Come on...give ND their due. They played great like they always do against UConn.
They lost 3 great players to graduation but they were still able to come into Gampel and beat the N01 team. Don't kid yourself, there is no gurantee UConn wins the next game, let alone by 30. Right now, ND owns UConn.

Reaction Score
Come on...give ND their due. They played great like they always do against UConn.
They lost 3 great players to graduation but they were still able to come into Gampel and beat the N01 team. Don't kid yourself, there is no gurantee UConn wins the next game, let alone by 30. Right now, ND owns UConn.
Too slow and not tough enough. Bad combination for chances to win an NC. We didn't play particularly well today, but maybe that's because of the opponent.

Reaction Score
Maybe. But you know what they say about payback...I have no doubt that "lady"will make her appearance later this season.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The thing, Cat, is this UCONN team on paper has more talent. ND lost so much last year, and yet they come to UCONN and win. I totally get that's why the games are played, but something isn't right with the game preparation and coaching when a UCONN team with superior talent can't win a game like this.

One can point to shooting ourselves in the foot, or whatever, but the coaches need to figure out why more talent can't win a game like this...

Well, I said what I thought was the difference: mental toughness.

Teams that win championships make big plays in big moments. It seems more often than not that when these teams play each other it's ND that makes the big plays/big shots.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Well, I said what I thought was the difference: mental toughness.

Teams that win championships make big plays in big moments. It seems more often than not that when these teams play each other it's ND that makes the big plays/big shots.
Yep mental toughness for sure. and it's not like ND is so much "older" (ie upperclassmen) than UCONN. Still, UGH!!

Reaction Score

I don't bet, but I'd take that UConn by 30 bet any day. This UConn team and This ND team? I think that at this point, the UConn kids are so frustrated and feeling jinxed that beating ND by 30 this year is not just improbable but impossible.

Reaction Score
Look, Dolson was great. KML was pretty good, until she was injured.Kelly, as always, was Kelly.

But when we look at our talent after that...our All American is not playing well, maybe she needed this to get her edge back. Maybe she's still injured but playing through it. Regardless, when you look at the talent, the fact that Bria hasn't been Bria makes a big difference.

And Stewart is a freshman. And she plays like a freshman in big games. It's all right, she'll need to adjust to the physicality. But that's the fact.

after that, our talent is also very young. Morgan and Moriah don't have much experience, and quite frankly, haven't been very good. Caroline Doty just can't contribute much statistically against the best teams.

And finally, the book on Uconn is out. Be physical with them. It bothers them. Muffet's a great coach, and she knows how to play against Geno's teams.

At the end of the day, this is a young team. They were going to lose some games that maybe they shouldn't.

Reaction Score
Yes, we had our chances, shots didn't drop that normally do. It was a tough game and we lost to a hated rival. All is not lost. The season did not just end. It is not normal to beat all teams, even the really good ones, all the time - let alone blow them out like we beat Stanford. We lost. But guess what? There is another game on Wednesday. Much will be learned from this game. And guess what? We may lose again this season. Yup, there. I said it. Maybe more than one more game.

UConn lost to a very good team. Maybe if we lose to Seton Hall, Providence or Villanova then it would be warranted to say we are/were awful.

Those who want to throw the team under the bus for perhaps not playing their typically efficient game, making bad decisions, playing like a (GASP!) freshman, are not being fair. Some of it had to do with ND - as much as it kills me to say it. You have to give credit where credit is due.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The ND frosh outscored our more heralded class by more than 2 to 1.

I thought this year would be different, but we just can't close these guys out. I look for us to struggle at ND on their Senior Night. Skylar will get all the calls.

We have a lot more work to do.

Reaction Score
Not just Diggins. Can someone on UConn, anyone, stop McBride. Based on today, the answer is "absolutely not."

I'm with you tomcat...........how many times did Uconn let McBride come down in transition, one on one, one on two, one on three (UConn advantage)
and McBride fakes left, goes right and lays the ball up for a score...............whatever happened to the old saying "STOP THE BALL" I couldn't believe my eyes. No one stopped the ball. McBride was fantastic today.

Reaction Score
Stef is too unselfish at 1:14 they had a 3-1 fastbreak bria passed to stef 5 feet from basket, one dribble layup would have been 74-71, instead she passes back to KML who misses from 3. Can't pass up that easy a shot for a longer one no matter how good a shooter KML is.

Reaction Score

imho, McBride was the difference maker and player of game. Plus, ND had more balanced scoring, like you did vs. us.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Look, Dolson was great. KML was pretty good, until she was injured.Kelly, as always, was Kelly.

But when we look at our talent after that...our All American is not playing well, maybe she needed this to get her edge back. Maybe she's still injured but playing through it. Regardless, when you look at the talent, the fact that Bria hasn't been Bria makes a big difference.

And Stewart is a freshman. And she plays like a freshman in big games. It's all right, she'll need to adjust to the physicality. But that's the fact.

after that, our talent is also very young. Morgan and Moriah don't have much experience, and quite frankly, haven't been very good. Caroline Doty just can't contribute much statistically against the best teams.

And finally, the book on Uconn is out. Be physical with them. It bothers them. Muffet's a great coach, and she knows how to play against Geno's teams.

At the end of the day, this is a young team. They were going to lose some games that maybe they shouldn't.

Geno said a lot of this in his post-game press conference. I didn't hear the entire pc, but here's some of what Geno said:

• Dolson, Kaleena and Kelly played well. Bria and Stewart struggled.
  • Stewart's line sounds pretty good, but so much more is expected of her; she needs to adjust to the physical nature of the college game.
  • Maybe they should have tried Dolson more in the lane but the team struggled to get the ball in to her and Stewart had the better match-up. (Agree completely; Stewart should have scored more on Braker)
  • The team needs more certainty in terms of who can play; need to get the full team healthy. He'd feel worse if he thought that was the best team UConn can put out there.

Reaction Score
Stef is too unselfish at 1:14 they had a 3-1 fastbreak bria passed to stef 5 feet from basket, one dribble layup would have been 74-71, instead she passes back to KML who misses from 3. Can't pass up that easy a shot for a longer one no matter how good a shooter KML is.

Spot on, baggerbob.............can't pass up a 3 on 1 fastbreak advantage for a sure two, or at the very least, two foul shots.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Geno said a lot of this in his post-game press conference. I didn't hear the entire pc, but here's some of what Geno said:

• Stewart's line sounds pretty good, but so much more is expected of her; she needs to adjust to the physical nature of the college game.
  • Maybe they should have tried Dolson more in the lane but the team struggled to get the ball in to her and Stewart had the better match-up. (Agree completely; Stewart should have scored more on Braker)
  • The team needs more certainty in terms of who can play; need to get the full team healthy. He'd feel worse if he thought that was the best team UConn can put out there.

Everything Geno said was right there on the floor in front of us and makes sense.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score

Have to disagree with Geno re. Kelly.. She did not contain McBride nearly as well as she needed to.

Reaction Score
imho, McBride was the difference maker and player of game. Plus, ND had more balanced scoring, like you did vs. us.

Definitely agree, cardfan. McBride was the main UConn slayer today.

Reaction Score

Sorry to disagree but Notre Dame is good and will only get better as their freshmen mature. Hope the same can be said for UConn, but the freshmen need to play more. I thought Morgan did well in her limited minutes. Why Banks is playing less I don't know. We need her aggressiveness.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Have to disagree with Geno re. Kelly.. She did not contain McBride nearly as well as she needed to.
Please tell me the number of points McBride scored when being directly guarded by Faris. I'd go add it up, but I already erased the game from my DVR on accident. McBride took 21 shots to get 21 points with 0 free throws attempted. Kelly took 11 to get 13 points. Kelly also had 11 rebounds, 7 assists, 5 steals with just 1 turnover. I'd say Kelly played well, but I would liked to have seen more shots drop. She only took one shot in the second half (a three she made) and two free throws (made 1 missed 1). I would like to see her get about 8-10 shots per game. She and Dolson both played the full 40 minutes.

Breanna played 12 minutes in the second half and took 12 shots. The team only took 32. Kelly, Caroline and Bria combined for 49 second half minutes and 6 FG attempts.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Please tell me the number of points McBride scored when being directly guarded by Faris. I'd go add it up, but I already erased the game from my DVR on accident. McBride took 21 shots to get 21 points with 0 free throws attempted. Kelly took 11 to get 13 points. Kelly also had 11 rebounds, 7 assists, 5 steals with just 1 turnover. I'd say Kelly played well, but I would liked to have seen more shots drop. She only took one shot in the second half (a three she made) and two free throws (made 1 missed 1). I would like to see her get about 8-10 shots per game. She and Dolson both played the full 40 minutes.

Breanna played 12 minutes in the second half and took 12 shots. The team only took 32. Kelly, Caroline and Bria combined for 49 second half minutes and 6 FG attempts.

You beat me to it, BB. Kelly's line was very good and what we'd hope Kelly would contribute. McBride took a lot of shots, but credit to her she made 10 of them, including some tough shots. Kelly did guard her during the game but not throughout the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom