Average Conference KENPOM ratings since 2014 (current and future memberships) | The Boneyard

Average Conference KENPOM ratings since 2014 (current and future memberships)

Reaction Score
Quick points:

The Big 12 is #1 with their new teams.
The New Big East came in at #4.
The SEC improved its rankings as well with the expansion.
Now, we'll have to see how expansion further down impacts the field. Rumors abound that the Big 12 may pick up Memphis as well. Who does the American pick up. Etc. Etc. How will the field change with the new transfer rules funneling talent upward?
The Big 12 is pretty stacked and looks healthy for years to come.

1. Big 12
2. Big 10
3. ACC
4. NBE
5. SEC
6. Pac 12
7. American

[twitter]

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Quick points:

The Big 12 is #1 with their new teams.
The New Big East came in at #4.
The SEC improved its rankings as well with the expansion.
Now, we'll have to see how expansion further down impacts the field. Rumors abound that the Big 12 may pick up Memphis as well. Who does the American pick up. Etc. Etc. How will the field change with the new transfer rules funneling talent upward?
The Big 12 is pretty stacked and looks healthy for years to come.

1. Big 12
2. Big 10
3. ACC
4. NBE
5. SEC
6. Pac 12
7. American

[twitter]

This is why I like college basketball more than college football. There are more major conferences (6>4.5). There are more mid-major conferences, and there are far more national title contenders in a given year.

Reaction Score
I look at Football and Basketball as 2 complimentary dishes at dinner.
In the Fall, there is nothing better than having an outdoor sport like football to live and die with on Saturdays. When it gets colder, you have basketball to warm you up.

By the way, Kenpom does such a good job at measuring conference strength.
The SEC should move up some now that Chris Beard replaced mediocre Shaka. The Big 12 also has room to extend its ranking with the plethora of brand names filling those arenas.

Reaction Score
This is why I like college basketball more than college football. There are more major conferences (6>4.5). There are more mid-major conferences, and there are far more national title contenders in a given year.
I agree with this and not only that but the parity makes things so much more interesting. Especially before the new alignment, even after you get out of the top 6 conferences you still have strong competition from various points in the mid major pool. Any mid major school that works the long game and builds experience and chemistry on the team has a shot at being very good every couple years. Unfortunately, the more realignment happens the further we'll get away from this.

Reaction Score
Big East is in a good place. The history, the charm of a basketball-centric school, track record of sending players to the NBA, and the reasonable geographic coverage.

I suppose my only concern is the long run financial effects of being excluded from money making machine conferences. Eventually, one would expect these P5 conferences to offer higher salaries, better facilities etc. Basically an arms race. Will such concerns manifest themselves, who knows?

Thus far, however, this concern has not been an issue. I recall seeing a college basketball expenditure database that reveals high financial commitments to basketball among most BE schools. I recall Marquette being in the top 10 nationally.

Reaction Score
We really need Georgetown to get back to being a top 25 program. The Big East with a 3 headed monster of UConn, Nova, and Georgetown is as good as any conference.
Creighton , Marquette, and Xavier are the teams with the most potential outside of UConn and Nova right now imo. Mcdermott is a proven coach with a great offensive mind who recruits guys who thrive in his system. Xavier has been recruiting at a high level and has a big fan base, but Steele has been a bit underwhelming as a coach so far. Hopefully he figures it out. Shaka should benefit from a fresh start and being back at a school where hoops is king.

Reaction Score
Seven years seems an odd number to average. Could it be someone wanted to include UConn's last championship. Does a six year average change the rankings?

Reaction Score
Thus far, however, this concern has not been an issue. I recall seeing a college basketball expenditure database that reveals high financial commitments to basketball among most BE schools. I recall Marquette being in the top 10 nationally.

We really need Georgetown to get back to being a top 25 program. The Big East with a 3 headed monster of UConn, Nova, and Georgetown is as good as any conference.

It should really be a 4 team race at the top w/ Marquette in there as well as a consistent top 25 team. Marquette has among the highest expenditures in college basketball, top 20 in attendance every year, the history/facilities/resources/fanbase to make it happen... things just never quite materialized under Coach Wojo. Georgetown and Marquette need to get back to the level they've historically been at. Beyond those four teams, the entire conference outside of DePaul should be able to compete regularly to be tournament caliber teams and competitive with any school out there (which is already the case really).

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
After all the success that the PAC-12 saw last season I would expect them to benefit and climb a bit in stature - I just plain do not enjoy PAC-12 teams or the basketball
The NBE will benefit from Mike Anderson and St Johns - they are the definite sleeper team and may pull off some big surprises this season - I agree with the NBE being in the 4th position but could very well flip with the ACC very soon into #3

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Seven years seems an odd number to average. Could it be someone wanted to include UConn's last championship. Does a six year average change the rankings?
UConn was a member of the AAC for every year during the measured period except for 2020-21. Does that help or hurt your point?

Reaction Score
I'd imagine because that was after the last major realignment of schools in NCAAB.
I imagine is because it takes UConn's AAC NC and moves it into the BE column.

Reaction Score

#1: National Championships have no direct bearing on Kenpom analytics
#2: Overall UConn pulls down the average over this 7 year span
#3: Ken Pomeroy doesn't care about one school and how it changes the standings, especially in this tweet. Otherwise he would have mentioned it in the tweet. This was all about the changes happening with the B12.

Reaction Score

The AAC finished above the PAC one year (when UConn was in it) but it took a historically good AAC and historically bad AAC. The AAC has never been close to a major basketball conference and the Big East has always been, even without UConn

Reaction Score
The AAC finished above the PAC one year (when UConn was in it) but it took a historically good AAC and historically bad AAC. The AAC has never been close to a major basketball conference and the Big East has always been, even without UConn
But the AAC was in the final four last year and the BE wasn't. How do you explain that. The major difference between the conferences is that the AAC has some very lousy teams at the bottom of the conference that kills their ratings.

Reaction Score
#1: National Championships have no direct bearing on Kenpom analytics
#2: Overall UConn pulls down the average over this 7 year span
#3: Ken Pomeroy doesn't care about one school and how it changes the standings, especially in this tweet. Otherwise he would have mentioned it in the tweet. This was all about the changes happening with the B12.
WCC and AAC take big hits. Everyone else is pretty much the same.

Reaction Score
But the AAC was in the final four last year and the BE wasn't. How do you explain that. The major difference between the conferences is that the AAC has some very lousy teams at the bottom of the conference that kills their ratings.
What's to explain? The NCAA tournament is a single elimination tournament where UMBC can defeat Virginia in the first round. Anything can happen in March, which is what makes it so great, but that is why the tournament too narrow a lens with which you can judge how good a team/school/conference is. By your selective metric, you are saying the AAC is better than the ACC, B10, and BE. If you choose to view things in that light, more power to ya! :cool:

Meanwhile, if you really want to understand the quality of a team or conference, you have resources like Kenpom, T-Rank, Massey, Warren Nolan, and myriad of others that take the entirety of the season into account.

Reaction Score

The Big East is and has been a significantly stronger basketball conference than the AAC by every available metric. I really don’t understand what else needs to be explained.

Reaction Score
The Big East is and has been a significantly stronger basketball conference than the AAC by every available metric. I really don’t understand what else needs to be explained.
But this one time a team made the Final Four. Forget the National Championships the other conference won. Look the other direction there...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom