Available $$ for new coach? | The Boneyard

Available $$ for new coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With 2 years left PP gets $3.2-$3.3MM to go home.

Beginning next year UCONN gets $2MM per from the TV contract. I know many have referred to exit fee $$ but I have never seen anything that clearly says what UCONN will get & over what period of time.

I read a few months ago on an ACC board (think it was Ga Tech) that if ACC gets $50mm from UMD it does not get split among member schools but just goes into the conference warchest.

Obviously a totally different situation between ACC & AAC from a $$ perspective but what can UCONN realistically expect to pay a new coach?

Reaction Score
We can pay whatever we want. Exit fee money is coming in. Hopefully, Herbst feels the urgency and pays for a great coaching staff.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Paqualoni's buyout is $600k. There is no financial reason to keep him. Warde just hates us.

Reaction Score
We can pay whatever we want. Exit fee money is coming in. Hopefully, Herbst feels the urgency and pays for a great coaching staff.

I have never seen anything that says how much exit fee money is really coming. I don't trust Aresco for 1 second. The only think I remember seeing was Blauds saying there was a fight over the fees but don't remember seeing any resolution

Reaction Score
I have never seen anything that says how much exit fee money is really coming. I don't trust Aresco for 1 second. The only think I remember seeing was Blauds saying there was a fight over the fees but don't remember seeing any resolution

It is resolved. No matter what is is, it will be enough to pay a great coach for a few years.

Reaction Score
Paqualoni's buyout is $600k. There is no financial reason to keep him. Warde just hates us.

If they wait till the buyout is $600k - UConn will get the leftovers again.

"In the event that the University terminates the contract for any other reason than just cause as defined by the contract, the coach shall be entitled to continue to receive the following payment in full satisfaction of the university's obligation to the coach:

January 14, 2011-December 31, 2011: $1,250,000 January 1, 2012-December 31, 2012: $1,000,000 January 1, 2013-December 31, 2013: $750,000 January 1, 2014-December 31, 2014: $600,000 January 1, 2015-December 31, 2015: $400,000"

http://articles.courant.com/2011-01...tract_1_summer-camps-clinics-coach-pasqualoni

Reaction Score
So firing him today would cost $150,000 more than waiting until January? That's it?

I know it won't happen immediately but if we get to 0-4 or 0-5, no one can point to the costs of the buyout as a reason to finish to the season.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If things become completely unspooled (not out of the realm of possibility) P gets canned somewhere around game 10. Otherwise, he'll last until the Sunday (or Monday) after we face Memphis.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Gonna be a little more difficult now to find a really good coach with Texas and USC at the front of the line.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Simple question: will the school lose $150,000 in gameday revenue because PP remains the coach for the rest of the season?

If so, then they really should just do it.

Reaction Score
Gonna be a little more difficult now to find a really good coach with Texas and USC at the front of the line.

Not really... Lot of jockeying/upheavals/turnover with coaching staffs causes opportunities to be leveraged.

Reaction Score

Right, because uconn is going to be picking from the same pool that USC and Texas will be picking from. Keep holding out for Mark Richt as someone intelligently said the other day.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Right, because uconn is going to be picking from the same pool that USC and Texas will be picking from. Keep holding out for Mark Richt as someone intelligently said the other day.

The first part, I agree with fully. There is no way that anyone (as Richt would not be part of the equation) considered for Texas or USC would even give us a sniff if we called.

As for Richt, that was me and it would have been a possibility (remote yes, but still a possibility) but yesterday ended any chance of his hitting the market after this season ends (unless somehow the Bulldogs completely collapse).

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I think it's $750,000.

It's $600,000 after 1/1....if we fire him on 12/8, he basically makes an extra $150,000 for Christmas presents.

Reaction Score
The $250,000 they "saved" but not canning him last year will be lost in ticket/parking/concession revenue by . . . . a lot. Figure the 10,000 empties at Towson at 30 per seat is $300K to start. Maryland, Michigan and Rutgers will be close to full houses, so minimal losses there. (That its uncertain Michigan will be a sellout less than 2 weeks before the game is mind-boggling). Chickens really come home to roost for USF, Louisville and Memphis. Could easily be looking at seven figures in lost ticket revenue. All predicted last December. Larry-Sue-Warde reaping what was sown.

Heres a fun thread from last December debating the merits of keeping/canning P.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Those guys are fishing in a different lake, they won't effect our search.

It still causes a ripple effect. UConn isn't looking for coaches from the same places that Texas and USC will be, but whichever school loses coaches to those 2 teams will now need coaches too. Let's sat Texas hired Pat Fitzgerald....then UConn could very well be competing with a B1G Northwestern team for the up and coming MAC HC.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Last Thursday should be defined as just cause.

Reaction Score
The $250,000 they "saved" but not canning him last year will be lost in ticket/parking/concession revenue by . . . . a lot. Figure the 10,000 empties at Towson at 30 per seat is $300K to start. Maryland, Michigan and Rutgers will be close to full houses, so minimal losses there. (That its uncertain Michigan will be a sellout less than 2 weeks before the game is mind-boggling). Chickens really come home to roost for USF, Louisville and Memphis. Could easily be looking at seven figures in lost ticket revenue. All predicted last December. Larry-Sue-Warde reaping what was sown.

Heres a fun thread from last December debating the merits of keeping/canning P.

We wouldn't have sold out for Towson if Vince Lombardi was coaching. But yes, on a net basis not firing him will cost is more if we continue to lose like this.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
We wouldn't have sold out for Towson if Vince Lombardi was coaching. But yes, on a net basis not firing him will cost is more if we continue to lose like this.

Agreed. The Towson attendance isn't relevant. MD and UM should be near sellouts in this "best home schedule ever". Every seat not sold is attributable to the losing which most put to the poor coaching.

As an aside, can we get a start time for Michigan? I know TV windows, blah blah, but c'mon this game isn't making network.

Reaction Score
Agreed. The Towson attendance isn't relevant. MD and UM should be near sellouts in this "best home schedule ever". Every seat not sold is attributable to the losing which most put to the poor coaching.

As an aside, can we get a start time for Michigan? I know TV windows, blah blah, but c'mon this game isn't making network.

With regards to the Michigan game the through process was probably "the place should be full even if UCONN is playing terrible - just who is it full of?" - Michigan should be a top 10 team which should be a sellout even if we get killed Saturday night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom