Availability of Players for Friday. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Availability of Players for Friday.

Reaction Score
With only 12 days remaining of the regular season, the phrase when we get healthy is becoming the question will we get healthy?

I’m hopeful we will see Caroline this weekend. The status of Paige and ONO is much less clear. I’d be very happy to see both back for the BET, but who knows. Paige is 10.5 weeks out from the injury, and 9.5 weeks post surgery. It’ll be interesting to follow the updates from here.

This has been a very unique season, and I won’t be surprised by anything that happens down the stretch.

Reaction Score
It was not just the injuries and illness that cost the bench minutes. It was also because the starters could not build a lead big enough to allow the coaches to take a chance on playing them although there were a couple of games in which the lead was big enough to play them the last two minutes. Yes, I know the injuries contributed to the starters not building a comfortable lead but, there was enough talent on the floor to do so, as in the Villanova game, imo.
Our positions are not mutually exclusive. The starters certainly often did not produce enough of a lead to risk taking them out. My contention is that it was caused by lack of playing time together to gel, especially in the Villanova game, and that need robs the non-starters valuable minutes.

Reaction Score
I read this in a Holiday Inn Express last night: Caroline probably, Paige, if she's doing more and more basketball things every day, maybe some court time, Liv if she damaged a groin muscle, probably not.

If Caroline doesn't get any playing time, I fear whatever the problem is it's serious.

Reaction Score
If you have Hulu, YouTube TV, of fubo you can stream Kung
Hadn't thought about the Grasshopper for a long time before today. But, yeah, I can do that. Good idea, thanks.

Reaction Score
Just throwing this out there. Could an injury to Caroline’s eye possibly keep her out this long ?

Reaction Score
I read this in a Holiday Inn Express last night: Caroline probably, Paige, if she's doing more and more basketball things every day, maybe some court time, Liv if she damaged a groin muscle, probably not.

If Caroline doesn't get any playing time, I fear whatever the problem is it's serious.
Boy if that’s not a ‘no, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night’ commercial waiting to happen, I don’t know what is.

Reaction Score
I look at this totally differently than you. While It not critical for a win, it certainly is for team chemistry and lineup success, especially with all the injuries and not being able to fully prepare the team in practice. Like, when Geno said that Dorka doesn't practice a lot, it's important for as many players as possible to play in as many games as possible.
If you push players to preform when they are not 100% you risk losing these people later...Team chemistry is great, but will only be achieved when everyone is running on all cylinders.

Reaction Score
It is not critical to have Liv or Caroline against Xavier...
While the game is not expected to be close, it is critical that both get some playing time prior to the playoffs. Do not want to rush either, but also don't expect that either will be able to come back and immediately have their wind or coordination. Based on a little knowledge of head injuries, Caroline in particular will likely get a lot of benefit from 3+ low pressure games.

Reaction Score
If you push players to preform when they are not 100% you risk losing these people later...Team chemistry is great, but will only be achieved when everyone is running on all cylinders.
Where in my post did I say I wanted to them to play when they're not ready? If they're ready, play them. Period. The end.

Reaction Score
Yes, definitely a loooooong way to go, but I feel your desperation.... ;)
I'm fairly certain Geno may be available for Friday. But just in case: CD is running sprints and yelling at fake Refs. My hope is CD, Nika, ONO and all others save Paige and Griffin are available.

Reaction Score
Xavier and Georgetown ( our next 2 games ) have won a total of 5 Big East games so far so we could give Liv and Caroline another week off with no problem at all. They would still then have 3 more games to get ready for the Big East tournament. They will play based on medical assessment and if there is any question at all in the decision it would be prudent to wait another week. NWIH we see Paige for another week and probably longer than that.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see Amari and Piath get some time but find it so hard for people to understand that the problem is that UConn can't get the same starting lineup together to play in every game so they can get their chemistry in shape either. It is far more important to get your main lineup ready to play than getting time for the bench. The bench is also important but secondary. This years illness and injuries have cost the bench minutes in games but I would be willing to bet it got them far more quality time working into the system in practice.
I see the inability to field the same 5 each game a huge plus. Chemistry isn't for just the "starters" it is for 12 or 15 on the team. Admittedly, the more players play together the more they know each other's idiosyncrasies, tiny movements, looks, etc. However, mixing and matching creates a chemistry. When Uconn gets down to the final 4 I was not happy with only 5 getting time together because chemistry is BUILT every day in practice, in playing time together, not necessarily 40 minutes each game. Having readily available subs as Geno has recently been doing and rotating players in and out--he now has CHEMISTRY WITH THE 10 or so he has used. Yippee!

Reaction Score
I look at this totally differently than you. While It not critical for a win, it certainly is for team chemistry and lineup success, especially with all the injuries and not being able to fully prepare the team in practice. Like, when Geno said that Dorka doesn't practice a lot, it's important for as many players as possible to play in as many games as possible.
Chemisty! Isn't it odd that Dorka worked so well with the team on the floor, regardless of who was with her, If this group doesn't have Chemistry, then I've never seen it.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Where in my post did I say I wanted to them to play when they're not ready? If they're ready, play them. Period. The end.
Yet everyone agrees that Geno decides if they are ready, until another game goes by without their participation and quite a few posters will ask why didn't they play. Or state before the next game that Geno needs to give them some playing time, game after game.
Very interesting.

Reaction Score
I'm fairly certain Geno may be available for Friday. But just in case: CD is running sprints and yelling at fake Refs. My hope is CD, Nika, ONO and all others save Paige and Griffin are available.
Wouldn't Nika be more suited to running sprints and yelling at fake refs?

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Yet everyone agrees that Geno decides if they are ready, until another game goes by without their participation and quite a few posters will ask why didn't they play. Or state before the next game that Geno needs to give them some playing time, game after game.
Very interesting.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I'm fairly certain Geno may be available for Friday. But just in case: CD is running sprints and yelling at fake Refs. My hope is CD Nika, ONO and all others save Paige and Griffin are available.
Hmm...you cite CD twice and I hope you are referring to two different people :)

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
It was said she had symptoms that mimicked a concussion, I don't think it's an injury to her eye.
it's amazing how varied concussion like injuries can be. you see many NFL players back within a week to play again. then you see someone like Clint Frazier who has a whole season+ taken away due to his head issues

Reaction Score
It’s Wednesday. The game is Friday. Why would we know who is playing? The line up is only announced just prior to tip unless the media finds out earlier.

Reaction Score
This is silly! There is no possible way on God’s green earth that they will let Paige (or any player for that matter) play if she is not completely cleared by medical experts! I understand that has happened in the past or in the case of unscrupulous coaches trying to rush their star back on court, but this is not that.

Aside from the fact that this staff, university, her parents et al are decent, moral, ethical people, they (UConn) wouldn’t take any chances with a player who is likely to be the best, or certainly one of a very few best players in the country for two or three more years! We are talking about a player who is likely to bring all sorts of glory to this University over the next few years! Why would they jeopardize that to have her play in a few games we can easily win without her?

I’m actually more concerned about ONO and Caroline! According to what I have read and observed, (no expert knowledge) groin injuries are notoriously difficult injuries, and often linger on longer than other types of muscle injuries while, as someone said earlier in this thread, head injuries can be problematic as well. I don’t think there’s a chance in hell that any one of them would be allowed to play til they are ready! Of course, we all may have our own opinions as to whether or when they should play, but worrying that they are being pushed to return to the court is simply foolish. Imo, of course!

Reaction Score
This is silly! There is no possible way on God’s green earth that they will let Paige (or any player for that matter) play if she is not completely cleared by medical experts! I understand that has happened in the past or in the case of unscrupulous coaches trying to rush their star back on court, but this is not that.

Aside from the fact that this staff, university, her parents et al are decent, moral, ethical people, they (UConn) wouldn’t take any chances with a player who is likely to be the best, or certainly one of a very few best players in the country for two or three more years! We are talking about a player who is likely to bring all sorts of glory to this University over the next few years! Why would they jeopardize that to have her play in a few games we can easily win without her?

I’m actually more concerned about ONO and Caroline! According to what I have read and observed, (no expert knowledge) groin injuries are notoriously difficult injuries, and often linger on longer than other types of muscle injuries while, as someone said earlier in this thread, head injuries can be problematic as well. I don’t think there’s a chance in hell that any one of them would be allowed to play til they are ready! Of course, we all may have our own opinions as to whether or when they should play, but worrying that they are being pushed to return to the court is simply foolish. Imo, of course!
Please read my original post and the re-think your response. I am not talking about Paige, so you answering that it's silly is a moot point. What you did here is not research all the facts before giving us your opinion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom