Autry Gets First Major Commitment | The Boneyard

Autry Gets First Major Commitment

Reaction Score
A number of major schools pursued him but Starling decided on Syracuse because of Autry. Just shows it will pay for us to pursue players we really like even if we suspect they might be looking to go elsewhere. Like with Hopkins, they'll know us and will look to us when they want to transfer.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
A number of major schools pursued him but Starling decided on Syracuse because of Autry. Just shows it will pay for us to pursue players we really like even if we suspect they might be looking to go elsewhere. Like with Hopkins, they'll know us and will look to us when they want to transfer.

Shrugs. You have to wonder why Syracuse. I guess if he had a strong relationship with Autry, and he says as much, it makes sense.

Reaction Score
The "why Syracuse" is easy....it is his home town and ample opportunity to be the primary point guard . Add in that he can hopefully play some man-to-man to prep for the next level and it makes sense. All indications are that Mintz and most of last year's class are going to stay and play for Autry. A Sterling/Mintz back court is formidable Should be a decent foundation for him to have some initial success. Syracuse is hurting in the front court, but a couple of portal guys could make a difference. Making the tourney would be a success as Boehiem lowered the bar in his last few years.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Landing a guy like that always makes it easier for a snowball effect to get good momentum on the recruiting trail.

I thought they'd continue trending towards a dumpster fire. But with the way the portal is, Syracuse can become pretty good again pretty quickly. We'll see. And if they do become good again quickly, boy does that not look good for the picker.

Reaction Score
Potentially a very good backcourt with Mintz if he sticks around
It's certainly a no brainer for Cuse. Their roster is somewhat a disaster, and he's a former McD's AA who's local and has 3 years of eligibility remaining. He'll need to really improve though, because he shot like Andre Jackson this year without Andre's ability to defend, rebound, and facilitate.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's certainly a no brainer for Cuse. Their roster is somewhat a disaster, and he's a former McD's AA who's local and has 3 years of eligibility remaining. He'll need to really improve though, because he shot like Andre Jackson this year without Andre's ability to defend, rebound, and facilitate.

Their roster is not awful - if they keep what they have.

The ACC is pretty weak…it would not take much for a school to get to the top of it.

Reaction Score
Their roster is not awful - if they keep what they have.

The ACC is pretty weak…it would not take much for a school to get to the top of it.
Yeah, that's what I thought, but then this guy told me everyone would be leaving, so....

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Yeah, that's what I thought, but then this guy told me everyone would be leaving, so....

Until they go, they’re there.

The PG is probably going pro, though.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Mintz and Starling are a good backcourt, assuming both aren’t sub 30% 3pt shooters. They both got great experience as their teams best players as freshmen, which will pay dividends. I’d take either if they wanted to be here.

Good start for Autry if we’re being honest.

caw

Reaction Score
Mintz and Starling are a good backcourt, assuming both aren’t sub 30% 3pt shooters. They both got great experience as their teams best players as freshmen, which will pay dividends. I’d take either if they wanted to be here.

Good start for Autry if we’re being honest.

Mississippi State just made the play in game with a starting backcourt that shot sub 30% from three.

Mississippi St is now aspirational for Cuse.

Reaction Score
If they continue to run the 2-3 zone, they're doomed

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I would argue this would be Autry's biggest commitment to date ;)

He was my public enemy #1 during my times at UConn.

Wow. Not sure how this is going to work
McNamara only knows the zone and probably played man to man in Europe and his one year as an AC at Virginia Tech.
You would think that they might want some new blood with fresh ideas
Oh well not my problem

Reaction Score
Why, it was never the problem, personel was the problem.

It's a dinosaur of a scheme. Don't know why on earth would Autry would want to keep it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom