Austin Reaves Leaving Wichita State | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Austin Reaves Leaving Wichita State

Reaction Score
wish we could just rotate the 12th member every year. think nevada returns everyone next year, they should be top 15 good (trust me on this one). let's boot wichita and add them.

Nevada could lose most of their team, Stephens was a senior and 3 of the juniors have thrown in for the draft but haven't hired an agent.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Nevada could lose most of their team, Stephens was a senior and 3 of the juniors have thrown in for the draft but haven't hired an agent.

And Mussleman's not likely to stay around either.

Reaction Score
I agree with you about Wichita, which both makes me happy and concerned at the same time. Happy because I want to have an easier time beating conference mates. Concerned because I really wonder about their long-term quality and the fact that we may have added them to our conference for nothing...
I told someone from day 1. They were a bad addition and may not have continued success. I still hope that i am wrong.

Reaction Score
OT: I wonder if Gonzaga would join the American given the chance. I would love to have 1 more powerhouse; scoop up like Zaga and SDSU/Nevada Split the conference into 2 divisions east and west. That would make our conference just as good from a basketball perspective as the “Big East”. We’re already a national conference. Flights to Spokane aren’t that much longer than flights to Dallas.
We would long for the travel of the good old days of theAAC

Reaction Score
That’s exactly the advise I gave TL as a Post Grad
His NBA stock would have increased if surrounded by a bunch of real good shooters.
I suspect his alleged bad handle magically becomes a lot better with spacing..
His handle improves when he fully recovers from his injury.

Reaction Score
If you guys want some perspective on Reaves’ departure, I will tell you that it was totally unexpected for Wichita State fans. That being said, we will be fine. Next year will be tough because we will have 9 new guys, and 2 of the returnees hardly played (1 was a redshirt), but after that we should be fine. Marshall is bringing in higher caliber athletes than we have ever had before. This is our best class ever. And the biggest thing is the new guys are hungry. Last year our players seemed complacent with the success they had achieved. Also, everything that I’ve heard indicates Marshall is still ten toes in at WSU and very likely, barring Duke or Kentucky calling, is a shocker for life. Just give us next year as a pass lol. I hope, and really believe we’ll be a good addition to the conference going forward. Exciting times for the league with you and Memphis coming back.

C

Chief00

If you guys want some perspective on Reaves’ departure, I will tell you that it was totally unexpected for Wichita State fans. That being said, we will be fine. Next year will be tough because we will have 9 new guys, and 2 of the returnees hardly played (1 was a redshirt), but after that we should be fine. Marshall is bringing in higher caliber athletes than we have ever had before. This is our best class ever. And the biggest thing is the new guys are hungry. Last year our players seemed complacent with the success they had achieved. Also, everything that I’ve heard indicates Marshall is still ten toes in at WSU and very likely, barring Duke or Kentucky calling, is a shocker for life. Just give us next year as a pass lol. I hope, and really believe we’ll be a good addition to the conference going forward. Exciting times for the league with you and Memphis coming back.

That ten toes in stuff after the KO era.

Reaction Score
Not concerned at all what Wichita State. Marshall been around the block before. Program has many years of elite history with him, and as the OP stated, short of small handful of schools, he’s not going anywhere. He’s being paid top and loyal fan base.

Reaction Score
Marshall is recruiting relentlessly the last couple of weeks and the team he is assembling right now will be our biggest, fastest, and most talented since back in the 80's when we had multiple NBA draft picks on our squad. If we can nab this Abdou N'Diaye (Stock Risers: Rapidly Improved Prospects | Prep Hoops), we. will. be. set.

Worry not about the Shox. Our ascension to the AAC, Gregg Marshall, and Shocker Nation will ensure our national relevance for years to come. A win over the Shox will be a good win for the foreseeable future.

Once Marshall retires, then we become like everybody else with hands folded in prayer...

But we won't pull any stunts hiring his replacement a la Memphis + Penny; we will hire the exact same type of coach you just hired. The hot up-and-comer from the junior ranks of DI. This is what we did with Gregg Marshall and his predecessor Mark Turgeon. In fact, if Marshall were gone tomorrow we'd likely hire his top assistant currently at NMSU, Chris Jans. He's a chip right off the old block and Shocker fans were secretly hoping that you guys didn't nab him. We seriously did not want to face an elite UConn roster coached by Chris Jans.

T

...:cool:

Reaction Score
Chris Jans can stay in Las Cruces for awhile, thanks.

-NMSU alum

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Marshall is recruiting relentlessly the last couple of weeks and the team he is assembling right now will be our biggest, fastest, and most talented since back in the 80's when we had multiple NBA draft picks on our squad. If we can nab this Abdou N'Diaye (Stock Risers: Rapidly Improved Prospects | Prep Hoops), we. will. be. set.

Worry not about the Shox. Our ascension to the AAC, Gregg Marshall, and Shocker Nation will ensure our national relevance for years to come. A win over the Shox will be a good win for the foreseeable future.

Once Marshall retires, then we become like everybody else with hands folded in prayer...

But we won't pull any stunts hiring his replacement a la Memphis + Penny; we will hire the exact same type of coach you just hired. The hot up-and-comer from the junior ranks of DI. This is what we did with Gregg Marshall and his predecessor Mark Turgeon. In fact, if Marshall were gone tomorrow we'd likely hire his top assistant currently at NMSU, Chris Jans. He's a chip right off the old block and Shocker fans were secretly hoping that you guys didn't nab him. We seriously did not want to face an elite UConn roster coached by Chris Jans.

T

If Jans does indeed replace Marshall, I hope your AD sends out warnings to all local bars.

Reaction Score
I told someone from day 1. They were a bad addition and may not have continued success. I still hope that i am wrong.

Don't worry, you are wrong, they are a great addition for the AAC.

For what its worth, last fall Francessa said the new Big East screwed up by not adding the Shockers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

For what its worth, last fall Francessa said the new Big East screwed up by not adding the Shockers.

For what it's worth (x2) I wanted the AAC over the Big Pee from the very beginning. I love the large public research university flavor and have mucho respect for borderline blueblood (with respect to Natty's) UConn.

Guys, if you get your chit together (likely), and Memphis goes back to being Memphis (hopefully), and we get back to Playing Angry, and Cincy, SMU, and Houston maintain, while UCF, Temple, Tulsa, and Tulane continue improving... we're looking at 5-6 bids every year easy. And those bids are coming straight out of the Church League's pocket. We WILL be a power conference in football and basketball and there will be nothing anybody can do about it.

T

Reaction Score
For what it's worth (x2) I wanted the AAC over the Big Pee from the very beginning. I love the large public research university flavor and have mucho respect for borderline blueblood (with respect to Natty's) UConn.

Guys, if you get your chit together (likely), and Memphis goes back to being Memphis (hopefully), and we get back to Playing Angry, and Cincy, SMU, and Houston maintain, while UCF, Temple, Tulsa, and Tulane continue improving... we're looking at 5-6 bids every year easy. And those bids are coming straight out of the Church League's pocket. We WILL be a power conference in football and basketball and there will be nothing anybody can do about it.

T

"borderline blue bloods" isn't a good start coming over here. Minus the debacle of the last 2-3 years we are arguably the most successful program in college basketball since 1990 relative to NC's, elite 8's etc etc.....do you r homework we have landed in the blue bloods world but now need to prove we can get back to where we belong.

I do like your confidence in the league although I can't share it, but one can hope and dream. If football doesn't make a positive move in the near future and basketball does, we may very well end up the new BE anyway at some point. For basketball reasons alone I hope we do at some point if no P5 cares about us. Rivalries are huge for fans, attendance and even the players/coaches. We may never have an actual rivalry in the AAC and after all those great ones in the Big East it does suck. We will see, first things first and that's Hurley getting us back to winning as expected.

Reaction Score
I do like your confidence in the league although I can't share it, but one can hope and dream. If football doesn't make a positive move in the near future and basketball does, we may very well end up the new BE anyway at some point. For basketball reasons alone I hope we do at some point if no P5 cares about us. Rivalries are huge for fans, attendance and even the players/coaches. We may never have an actual rivalry in the AAC and after all those great ones in the Big East it does suck. We will see, first things first and that's Hurley getting us back to winning as expected.

Having confidence in the league is tantamount to having confidence in UCONN, Sir... Cause UCONN and Memphis playing poorly has been all the difference.
Rivalries are a byproduct of history and time. That will come regardless of where UConn is, as long as UConn is competitive enough for there to be high stakes.
The AAC is good in football and basketball. (baseball as well). The notion of quitting a major revenue sport because the team hasn't performed well enough lately is the stupidest idea there ever was. That's cancerous, and not a mentality I ever want UConn to be associated with.
Overall I'm pleased with how the conference is developing. It's far surpassed in football (3 Top 25 teams last year) and in basketball there was 3 Top 25 teams as well (NBE had 2 and one of those had their coach poached), without UConn and Memphis performing up to snuff.
I root for UConn and the AAC. In basketball there are no more excuses. This program will never be in a catholic hoops league. That would be throwing everything else under the bus.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Totally disagree. Lol. And Francesca? No comment.

Reaction Score
Having confidence in the league is tantamount to having confidence in UCONN, Sir... Cause UCONN and Memphis playing poorly has been all the difference.
Rivalries are a byproduct of history and time. That will come regardless of where UConn is, as long as UConn is competitive enough for there to be high stakes.
The AAC is good in football and basketball. (baseball as well). The notion of quitting a major revenue sport because the team hasn't performed well enough lately is the stupidest idea there ever was. That's cancerous, and not a mentality I ever want UConn to be associated with.
Overall I'm pleased with how the conference is developing. It's far surpassed in football (3 Top 25 teams last year) and in basketball there was 3 Top 25 teams as well (NBE had 2 and one of those had their coach poached), without UConn and Memphis performing up to snuff.
I root for UConn and the AAC. In basketball there are no more excuses. This program will never be in a catholic hoops league. That would be throwing everything else under the bus.
The idea isn't that football isn't playing well enough nearly as much as it is that football is absolutely hemorrhaging money

Reaction Score

I really like this^^ post.

The only downside to UConn being in the American is their relative seclusion geographically. That makes no difference to casual sports fans however who will be tuning into our games via ESPN or CBS. And hey, if you guys miss playing the dregs of the old Big East so much you are more than welcome to fill your OOC with 'em. Just make sure you crush them when you do. Seeing jokers like Providence and Seton Hall gain any kind of upper hand on your basketball program literally makes my skin crawl.

You guys take care of Villanova (or at least keep it close); Cincy needs to handle Xavier; and we'll dispatch those at Bug'aha Creighton BJ's if they'll ever schedule us again rofl. We did our part in flushing the Big Pee by slapping Marquette around like a rag doll last season.

T

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom