Auriemma on Collier: | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Auriemma on Collier:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Did EDD call Geno "the best coach in the world"?

Yes. This tickles me, so I always have it handy.

“There are so many great coaches out there but there aren’t always great teachers,” she said, “and that’s something that’s always struck me about him -- how great he is at getting his point across, and just continuing to teach. We’re all pros and we’ve heard so many different things. But he kind of explains things in a different way. And it’s been great. I feel like he’s the sun and I’m just trying to soak in all that knowledge. It’s been fun.

“I’m thrilled that I’m able to have him as my coach right now.”

Delle Donne Fits In With the Best

images

Reaction Score
She was moving beautifully last night around the hoop, very efficient, and like Gabby totally comfortable using her left inside. She seemed to have a quickness and bounce that for whatever reason was not always easy to discern at times earlier this year. Another good sign as UConn moves forward.

If those are her plays of choice, what about Walker and Coombs? Les Miserables?

Ha ha. Good one.

Reaction Score
Napheesa is having a fantastic year; she's finally finding her groove. However, if you figured the averages per game, Katie Lou would be much higher in every category.

Mister2

Looking for Mister1
Reaction Score
Don't kid yourself , Napheesa is the bomb!!

Can score from anywhere and like s the ball. Simply awesome.

Pheesa is deadly around the basket, but she needs to improve her mid-range jumper and develop a more credible perimeter shot to become an all around offensive threat.

On this team, however, she may not need to do so (aside for her own self achievement), as UCONN is fortunate enough to have not one but two elite 3-pt. scorers (currently ranked 1st and 2nd in the entire D1 WCBB) to open up the space in the paint.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Pheesa is deadly around the basket, but she needs to improve her mid-range jumper and develop a more credible perimeter shot to become an all around offensive threat.

On this team, however, she may not need to do so (aside for her own self achievement), as UCONN is fortunate enough to have not one but two elite 3-pt. scorers (currently ranked 1st and 2nd in the entire D1 WCBB) to open up the space in the paint.

I keep seeing that Pheesa needs to improve her mid-range shot. I think she's pretty good from 15 feet and long enough and with enough hop to shoot over most defenders. Plus her fallaway jumper is as good as there is in the NCAA. Her three-point percentage is up to 0.347, which is more than adequate for a stretch-four at this level. I agree that she'll need to improve some to have a greater chance of success in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
View attachment 28784

Napheesa's stats through the Tulane game. Having another great season...:)

Points - 426 (#1 on the team)
Rebounds - 204 (#2)
Blocked shots - 52 (#1)
Assists - 85 (#4 to KLS by one assist)
Steals - 48 (#2)
Shooting % - 62.4% (inside the arc)
3 pt shooting - 34.7% (17-49)

Pheesa has started all 27 games and averaged 28.7 minutes per contest. Geno can pencil in 15 pts and 8 rebounds every game, but there is so much more to her game. Her defense and shot blocking are catching up to her offensive skills. :cool:

Go Huskies..!!
Some people can say the numbers don't lie and that's typically the case but the EYE TEST regarding the quality of play for Napheesa, particularly earlier in the year, belie the reality of her play this year. To suggest that there is some kind of bias or prejudice against Napheesa that numerous people on this board are showing is silly. They've spoken up because it was quite obvious that she hadn't played as well as she was expected to play and who knows if there wasn't some unreported health issue contributing to it but SHE HADN'T PLAYED as expected, numbers or no numbers. It seems as her play has more recently risen to where most peoples expected entering this season.

Mister2

Looking for Mister1
Reaction Score
Some people can say the numbers don't lie and that's typically the case but the EYE TEST regarding the quality of play for Napheesa, particularly earlier in the year, belie the reality of her play this year. To suggest that there is some kind of bias or prejudice against Napheesa that numerous people on this board are showing is silly. They've spoken up because it was quite obvious that she hadn't played as well as she was expected to play and who knows if there wasn't some unreported health issue contributing to it but SHE HADN'T PLAYED as expected, numbers or no numbers. It seems as her play has more recently risen to where most peoples expected entering this season.

I have no idea whether there has been some unreported health issue. Assuming not, I believe Z's insertion has had a major impact on the dynamics of the functioning of the whole team this season, and in turn impacted on Pheesa more than anyone else. There are, however, recent signs that the perturbations are smoothing themselves out, as each makes the necessary adjustments to her role from game to game.

What is also interesting is that, along with the working out of the Z-Pheesa dynamics, another new set of team dynamics has evolved over the current season, involving KLS and Gabby. There seems to be a heightened implicit understanding of each other's court movements and tendencies between these two players this season, compared to the last, resulting in some spectacular plays that are pure poetry in motion.

If the above developments continue into tournament play, it would take a perfect storm of events for UCONN to be defeated: possible, yes, but highly improbable.

Reaction Score
Napheesa is having a fantastic year; she's finally finding her groove. However, if you figured the averages per game, Katie Lou would be much higher in every category.
Collier may be leading the team in scoring. Her remaining statistics may also average out better than the rest. Just some recent numbers I thought I saw.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom