Auriemma discusses players who transfer | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Auriemma discusses players who transfer

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Crazy to equate academic only students with athletes who get free ride scollies.
Free ride scollies but who also help to bring in billions of dollars for the corrupt NCAA. How much do the academic students bring in?

Reaction Score
While some think at times Geno takes things too far with his sarcasm, he is self aware and understands the trade offs he is making (i.e. "not everyone should come to UConn").

The recruiting process is not a single one on one situation--usually over a few years. When recruiting a player it is talent of course but then it's will that personality mesh with our players or coaches, will this player work within our system, can we get the parent to exclude themselves. AS in all human relations--nothing is perfect--and the kids, parents, and Uconn coaches make mistakes.
There should be less soul searching from Geno or any kid that transfers--it is what it is. You do your best in the selection process--the kids are never ever going to know what they are getting into until they are up to their ears in Uconn.
So Geno--you are the Boss--the buck stops with you--HOWEVER--by now you know you can't win (each recruit) them all--a transfer is not an insult to your abilities or your methods. Kids shall always be kids--you win some you lose some--MOVE ON..You Geno and the By has wasted too much print on the transfer.

Reaction Score
Free ride scollies but who also help to bring in billions of dollars for the corrupt NCAA. How much do the academic students bring in?
Football, I read brings in dollars --WBB not so much. No insult --it is what it is. But these UConn kids earn every scholarship penny.
WCBB --isn't the great fun game, it's work, almost 24/7---with some fun with friend thrown in.\
Some of those Academic students become Alum's look around what buildings are name for alums at Uconn?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Football, I read brings in dollars --WBB not so much. No insult --it is what it is. But these UConn kids earn every scholarship penny.
WCBB --isn't the great fun game, it's work, almost 24/7---with some fun with friend thrown in.\
Some of those Academic students become Alum's look around what buildings are name for alums at Uconn?
You have to include men's basketball when talking about scholarships. They bring in the big dollars. Also, there are some women's teams that bring in a lot of money. Don't think that the NCAA is not making money off of female basketball players images whenever they want to use them.

Reaction Score
A free ride for many athletes that would not have been accepted on their academics alone. How many schools would offer an academic scholarship to a person with knuckle dragger SAT scores?
Not really following you guys here.
My post was referring to transfers. Don't equate academic transfers the same way as athletic transfers

Reaction Score
You have to include men's basketball when talking about scholarships. They bring in the big dollars. Also, there are some women's teams that bring in a lot of money. Don't think that the NCAA is not making money off of female basketball players images whenever they want to use them.
Most of the money is TV contracts. Football gets the largest TV dollars I believe.

Reaction Score

I wasn't thinking NCAA use of images, but you are probably right in that regard. You too are right that Men's BB , in most or some cases are making sufficient dollars. Women's CBB not so much. --Women's BB s Scholarships for UConn, ND, Baylor, USC--brings in "side" money - -the winning gives them name recognition which brings in FB and MBB players, and students. Not an easy thing to quantify but real nevertheless.

Reaction Score
The recruiting process is not a single one on one situation--usually over a few years. When recruiting a player it is talent of course but then it's will that personality mesh with our players or coaches, will this player work within our system, can we get the parent to exclude themselves. AS in all human relations--nothing is perfect--and the kids, parents, and Uconn coaches make mistakes.
There should be less soul searching from Geno or any kid that transfers--it is what it is. You do your best in the selection process--the kids are never ever going to know what they are getting into until they are up to their ears in Uconn.
So Geno--you are the Boss--the buck stops with you--HOWEVER--by now you know you can't win (each recruit) them all--a transfer is not an insult to your abilities or your methods. Kids shall always be kids--you win some you lose some--MOVE ON..You Geno and the By has wasted too much print on the transfer.
I think I read somewhere that there is approx 700 college athletes who transfer every year.

Reaction Score
I think I read somewhere that there is approx 700 college athletes who transfer every year.
So obviously--kids are like kids forever---not knowing what they are getting into--changing their minds--wanting to be with friends in other schools, emotionally unfit for college--etc. This is not a knock on GENO, UConn, UCWBB--it is life before our eyes.
If they want to go--give them a pep talk--then wish them well. And always recruit one or tw0 more in numbers than you'd like.

Reaction Score
The academic students that work on research and are involved in creating patentable technology bring in a lot more money compared to athletics for a university engaged in those activities. What's the net take for sports? Tens of millions of dollars? A university might bring in that amount for licensing a patent to a single licensee, now multiply that by the hundreds of patents some of these large universities might hold, and we know how big the research grant business is.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
never sudden? how about EDD?

the one year waiting period is unique to athletes and doesn't apply to any other type of student. It further marks athletes as different from other students and indicates that that student is there largely for a different purpose. If Juliard had aggressively recruited (say) a virtuoso violinist, who then decides to transfer to the Curtis, do you think that student shouldn't be in the orchestra for a year? Well, violinists of that calibre are a lot rarer and more valuable than a d-1 athlete.

yes, there'd be more rule-breaking by coaches, but these kids have rights, too, and the current system favors the institution over the kids.
And don't forget the hypocrisy of the Coaches who immediately jump at the next job opportunity for a better payday. The naivity the NCAA tries to place solely on the student that it's about the school they attend and not the program but yet say-go ahead coach, ignore the 4 year contract you just signed and eschew the school you have been touting.
For me, I would like to see the non-compete clause be implemented by the NCAA to avoid the coaching carousal that occurs in all sports and make a coach also sit out a year if they "transfer". It would make both schools and coaches think twice about the contracts, terms and clauses.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Your memory is extremely close to mine on the EDD comments after leaving Uconn. I think the year to play Volley ball was predicated on the NCAA requirement to sit a year away from BB.

I believe you are correct.

cabbie191

Reaction Score
Bottom line, I despise the NCAA which I think exudes rank hypocrisy and something akin to corruption.

However, I don't object to the current transfer rules for major sports in Div 1, particularly the provisions that allow for exceptions to the one-year sit rule. Though I agree in theory that it would be nice if everyone is treated equally (and I'm referring to both athletes across the board and the coaches who now can jump ship without consequence), the reality is that in any sphere of life circumstances within that sphere vary dramatically.

Take for example the current threat of deportation to immigrants who have been here a long time. One could make an argument, as does the current administration, that it doesn't matter if someone has lived here for decades and has been an exemplary citizen, the fact that they started here without the proper paperwork and permissions makes them fair game for deportation.

One could also argue, and I am on this side, that situations should be adjudicated on a case by case basis. IMO, it's more humane for both the immigrant and for society at large. If someone has been a contributing member to society (working, paying taxes, no legal problems, etc.,) then how does society benefit by sending them to their country of origin and breaking up families, destroying business, and so forth, just to satisfy the whims of an ironclad law?

As regards athletes transferring, circumstances vary so I think it is reasonable that the rules have some variability to them. And I think it is also fair to consider that like it or not, athletics at Div 1 schools are a big business (again, NCAA hypocrisy here), even in sports that are not top tier or money makers. At the University of Wisconsin, there are only three head coaches who make less than $100,000 - the men's and women's golf coaches and the women's tennis coach ($95,000 this year). Volleyball and hockey coaches all make several hundred thousand dollars.

Given the amount of money involved, again like it or not, the fact is that a high school student's commitment to play for a school can have a major impact on the school's athletic program, not to mention impacting other high school athletes who might have wanted to play for a particular team but wasn't offered a scholarship because someone else was.

So granted that a high school student contemplating multiple scholarship offers (and his/her parents) may not have the wisdom to properly judge what school would be best for their child, I think there ought in most cases to be some consequence if they decide they made a poor decision and want to go elsewhere.

Last, I love the clip and not only what Geno had to say, but how he said it.

Reaction Score
Bottom line, I despise the NCAA which I think exudes rank hypocrisy and something akin to corruption.

However, I don't object to the current transfer rules for major sports in Div 1, particularly the provisions that allow for exceptions to the one-year sit rule. Though I agree in theory that it would be nice if everyone is treated equally (and I'm referring to both athletes across the board and the coaches who now can jump ship without consequence), the reality is that in any sphere of life circumstances within that sphere vary dramatically.

Take for example the current threat of deportation to immigrants who have been here a long time. One could make an argument, as does the current administration, that it doesn't matter if someone has lived here for decades and has been an exemplary citizen, the fact that they started here without the proper paperwork and permissions makes them fair game for deportation.

One could also argue, and I am on this side, that situations should be adjudicated on a case by case basis. IMO, it's more humane for both the immigrant and for society at large. If someone has been a contributing member to society (working, paying taxes, no legal problems, etc.,) then how does society benefit by sending them to their country of origin and breaking up families, destroying business, and so forth, just to satisfy the whims of an ironclad law?

As regards athletes transferring, circumstances vary so I think it is reasonable that the rules have some variability to them. And I think it is also fair to consider that like it or not, athletics at Div 1 schools are a big business (again, NCAA hypocrisy here), even in sports that are not top tier or money makers. At the University of Wisconsin, there are only three head coaches who make less than $100,000 - the men's and women's golf coaches and the women's tennis coach ($95,000 this year). Volleyball and hockey coaches all make several hundred thousand dollars.

Given the amount of money involved, again like it or not, the fact is that a high school student's commitment to play for a school can have a major impact on the school's athletic program, not to mention impacting other high school athletes who might have wanted to play for a particular team but wasn't offered a scholarship because someone else was.

So granted that a high school student contemplating multiple scholarship offers (and his/her parents) may not have the wisdom to properly judge what school would be best for their child, I think there ought in most cases to be some consequence if they decide they made a poor decision and want to go elsewhere.

Last, I love the clip and not only what Geno had to say, but how he said it.

In a perfect world I would agree with case by case reviews. But my experience with cumbersome organization when allowed that latitude will in time slide to the preferential treatment of some and dis regard those that really should have the benefit of the doubts.
So until Humans become perfect--fixed solid rules--usually are more fair to all, and have less potential to abuse. Now here is my take on those jumping into waters deeper than they can handle (Freshmen).
Unrestricted transfers should be allowed until the day before the first game is played. Then no transfers until the next June. Somewhat more fair to all.
Emotionally I like most of what you say--practically I have reservations as above.

Last edited:

cabbie191

Reaction Score
In a perfect world I would agree with case by case reviews. But my experience with cumbersome organization when allowed that latitude will in time slide to the preferential treatment of some and dis regard those that really should have the benefit of the doubts.
So until Humans become perfect--fixed solid rules--usually are more fair to all, and have less potential to abuse. Now here is my take on those jumping into waters deeper than they can handle (Freshmen).
Unrestricted transfers should be allowed until the day before the first game is played. Then no transfers until the next June. Somewhat more fair to all.
Emotionally I like most of what you say--practically I have reservations as above.

And I agree with what you state at the beginning - the possible slide toward preferential treatment. Although I don't think this applies as much to issues of transfer, one of the most glaringly hypocritical aspects of the NCAA is what I think most on this forum would agree is their preferential treatment of colleges, turning a blind eye to the massive fraud at a money maker like UNCheat, and hammering a school like UConn for what we believe are relatively minor infractions.

Reaction Score
And I agree with what you state at the beginning - the possible slide toward preferential treatment. Although I don't think this applies as much to issues of transfer, one of the most glaringly hypocritical aspects of the NCAA is what I think most on this forum would agree is their preferential treatment of colleges, turning a blind eye to the massive fraud at a money maker like UNCheat, and hammering a school like UConn for what we believe are relatively minor infractions.

As stupid as the NC NCAA decision was--it was valid and fair (so shoot me) on another plain it cause shiver up my spine. If a super non course is available to all--it is not preferential treatment for just Jocks. The answer for this is for all schools to create these courses. However, some on the board have said Uconn and other schools already have like courses. If that is even close to being true--UNC is only an equal cheat.
The punishment given to Calhouns Mens team appears excessive and punitive. I do admit I am Uconn biased. So I don't see all the warts I probably should see.

Reaction Score

the one year waiting period is unique to athletes and doesn't apply to any other type of student. It further marks athletes as different from other students and indicates that that student is there largely for a different purpose. If Juliard had aggressively recruited (say) a virtuoso violinist, who then decides to transfer to the Curtis, do you think that student shouldn't be in the orchestra for a year? Well, violinists of that calibre are a lot rarer and more valuable than a d-1 athlete.

yes, there'd be more rule-breaking by coaches, but these kids have rights, too, and the current system favors the institution over the kids.

Hi Bags, always find your post both insightful and thoughtful. I am curious because I sincerely do not know, but do these music schools compete against each other in music? Is there an overall league tournament?

My perspective is that most kids do not become pros, so getting a 200k education is a pretty good deal plus some of these programs help fund other programs (although football is by far the biggest contributor.) Actually the majority of WCBB is not generating money at all. All this to say the current system offers a lot to those fortunate enough to get a scholarship.

I also think it would be much harder to coach if there was not a one year wait period. Sometimes you have to live with your decisions, or at the least the consequences. Let's remember these kids are just out of high school and can be very immature (I am much older and still am immature : - ), so making an easy out when things are not going there way is not favorable in my eyes. However, if things are going bad enough, then they can sit a year and sacrifice on such an important decision. The coaches and programs also invest a lot into them outside of the free education. Anyway my 2cents.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score

And, ironically, the violinist can transfer with no strings attached. ;)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Hi Bags, always find your post both insightful and thoughtful. I am curious because I sincerely do not know, but do these music schools compete against each other in music? Is there an overall league tournament?

My perspective is that most kids do not become pros, so getting a 200k education is a pretty good deal plus some of these programs help fund other programs (although football is by far the biggest contributor.) Actually the majority of WCBB is not generating money at all. All this to say the current system offers a lot to those fortunate enough to get a scholarship.

I also think it would be much harder to coach if there was not a one year wait period. Sometimes you have to live with your decisions, or at the least the consequences. Let's remember these kids are just out of high school and can be very immature (I am much older and still am immature : - ), so making an easy out when things are not going there way is not favorable in my eyes. However, if things are going bad enough, then they can sit a year and sacrifice on such an important decision. The coaches and programs also invest a lot into them outside of the free education. Anyway my 2cents.

You said: "I also think it would be much harder to coach if there was not a one year wait period. Sometimes you have to live with your decisions, or at the least the consequences." I agree to a certain extent. There is a lot of rhetoric on both sides of the aisle on this topic. Perhaps a policy that would allow transfers to play right away might work. The question is work for whom? I'm very cynical when it comes to trusting and relying on the integrity of some college basketball coaches. Any policy change that would allow a player to transfer to another program of his/her choice the next year without having to sit out a year, must also include severe penalties for tampering, such as a loss of scholarships and being exempt from accepting any transfers for a year or two (or three). That penalty would also follow that coach if he/she were to relocate to another division one program in any capacity for the remainder its duration.

I'd like to think that no coach would "TAMPER" with, or try and "coax" a player from another program to come play for him/her. The Cynic in me does not believe this would never happen. I can see claims by coaches that another coach TAMPERED with one or more of his/her players in any given year. I'm not impugning the integrity of coaches (people) I don't know and have never met, however, I'm not quite convinced that this sort of thing would/could never happen either. With the pressure these coaches are under to recruit the best players available, win games, and go deep into the tournament every year (to try and keep their jobs), it would be very tempting for them to push the envelop almost to its breaking point, to get as many of the best players they can.

This rule would not affect the one and dones for obvious reasons. But it would the rest of the players (in men's basketball). They may also wish to include a caveat that a team could not accept more than 1 transfer player per season. Other wise you'd have wholesale changes and movement among the top 40? men's programs. Of course there would be movement throughout division one teams, but the most significant would be among those teams vying to win the national championship every year. The rich would get richer. The lower tier programs could set their sights on the WNIT /WBI in November because those will be the only post season tournaments most of them would have a chance of qualifying for.

It would be very interesting to see how a change of this nature would effect the women's game. It's possible there would be a lot more movement than there has been, but not to the extent of the men's game. Unless and until they can come up with something fair (equitable) and almost "foolproof", I like the system the way it is. After all, the rule is designed to prevent indiscriminate movement between teams by players.

For those that think the current system is unfair, it could be worse. What if they said you can't get that 5th year if you sit out? What if the rule was: You have 4 years to complete your 4 years of eligibility. If you transfer and sit out a year, you lose that year, now you have only 2 left (if you leave after your freshman year, 1 if you leave after your sophomore year), and you can't leave after your junior because your 4 years would have expired. That rule would significantly cut down on the transfers. The only exception for this rule being for medical reasons. Thoughts?....................................

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Your memory is extremely close to mine on the EDD comments after leaving Uconn. I think the year to play Volley ball was predicated on the NCAA requirement to sit a year away from BB.
I don't think Elena played volleyball because the NCAA wouldn't let her play basketball. She was burned out from basketball. Her return to basketball was a gradual one, only after she did a lot of soul-searching.

Reaction Score
You said: "I also think it would be much harder to coach if there was not a one year wait period. Sometimes you have to live with your decisions, or at the least the consequences." I agree to a certain extent. There is a lot of rhetoric on both sides of the aisle on this topic. Perhaps a policy that would allow transfers to play right away might work. The question is work for whom? I'm very cynical when it comes to trusting and relying on the integrity of some college basketball coaches.

..............(shortened for reply)

For those that think the current system is unfair, it could be worse. What if they said you can't get that 5th year if you sit out? What if the rule was: You have 4 years to complete your 4 years of eligibility. If you transfer and sit out a year, you lose that year, now you have only 2 left (if you leave after your freshman year, 1 if you leave after your sophomore year), and you can't leave after your junior because your 4 years would have expired. That rule would significantly cut down on the transfers. The only exception for this rule being for medical reasons. Thoughts?......

Part of my thinking for saying that is many kids today are soft. Not all but some. Much like being a parent sometimes coaches have to be direct (not abusive) at times when kids are "me first," fail to comply through ignorance (they think they are right with limited experience,) or just struggle to shed a troublesome issue/habit. By giving them an easy out it will provide good coaches that are trying to not just win games but help coach to win at life tougher obstacle of a player just saying I am out of here because I want to do it my way or not listen.

There are times I wish I was pushed and did not take the easier route, having someone invest in you is one of the greatest gifts in life, but often not recognized or appreciated while its happening. I acknowledge there are different reasons for leaving but most I would guess (maybe incorrectly) is out of convenience or preference. So again, they can learn if you take the wrong job or move to the wrong city, you have to sacrifice to get out of that circumstance. So you better give it your all first. If there are family emergencies or health issues then I do support your view on exceptions.

Reaction Score

I don't know if the process has changed dramatically since I was involved with the process. But in the dark repressive days of the past. When a student transferred ; typically they lost credits or had to do a great selling job on the accepting professors. Not an easy process.
Not near as easy as an athlete making the move. Of course, since money is involved in the receiving school, that student is not required to "sit-out" a year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom