Auriemma discusses players who transfer | The Boneyard

Auriemma discusses players who transfer

Reaction Score
Enjoyed Geno's discussion. He acknowledges that for all (WBB) coaches it will be getting increasingly more difficult to retain all the players he/they recruit.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Thanks first for the link. I find Geno's comments always educational. When he speaks to reporters "off the cuff" there are no holds barred and he gets his point across. IMHO I do not believe he speaks with malice, ever, when it comes to his players. When we get his comments, such as this one, in this context, he is so good at expressing himself and he understands the human element that none of us are perfect. My wife thinks I am, but that's another conversation. I am safe here because she doesn't come to the BY.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
just imagine if the NCAA was to eliminate the one year waiting period between transfers....
That might not be so bad, at least for UConn. I don't think it would adversely impact the team. Other programs might not fare as well.

Reaction Score
never sudden? how about EDD?

the one year waiting period is unique to athletes and doesn't apply to any other type of student. It further marks athletes as different from other students and indicates that that student is there largely for a different purpose. If Juliard had aggressively recruited (say) a virtuoso violinist, who then decides to transfer to the Curtis, do you think that student shouldn't be in the orchestra for a year? Well, violinists of that calibre are a lot rarer and more valuable than a d-1 athlete.

yes, there'd be more rule-breaking by coaches, but these kids have rights, too, and the current system favors the institution over the kids.

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
the one year waiting period is unique to athletes and doesn't apply to any other type of student. It further marks athletes as different from other students and indicates that that student is there largely for a different purpose. If Juliard had aggressively recruited (say) a virtuoso violinist, who then decides to transfer to the Curtis, do you think that student shouldn't be in the orchestra for a year? Well, violinists of that calibre are a lot rarer and more valuable than a d-1 athlete.

yes, there'd be more rule-breaking by coaches, but these kids have rights, too, and the current system favors the institution over the kids.
And seeing how it doesn't pertain to all sports (only the money makers for the NCAA????) makes the NCAA seem even more hypocritical.

Reaction Score

Enjoyed the comparison of the student athlete to the virtuoso violinist. Broad thinking.

Reaction Score

Yes you are correct these kids, I thought kids were under 18 years old) draft age once. They get to choose to leave, choose to accept scholarships worth hundreds of thousands,get an education, while possibly furthering their basketball opportunities in Europe and the WNBA. A lesson about life and the choices offered. I bet there are many who wish they had those choices.

Reaction Score
Yes you are correct these kids, I thought kids were under 18 years old) draft age once. They get to choose to leave, choose to accept scholarships worth hundreds of thousands,get an education, while possibly furthering their basketball opportunities in Europe and the WNBA. A lesson about life and the choices offered. I bet there are many who wish they had those choices.
Many today do. At almost all "elite" private institutions, there is need-blind admission and full or close-to-full scholarships for those needing them. A great student can accept a full scholarship from (say) Amherst and then transfer to (say) Stanford, which has a stronger CompSci dept. Study right away, go on to be a computer scientist and live a very comfortable life in Silicon Valley, with far less trouble and making a lot, lot, lot more money than a female professional basketball player. No one tells that student to "sit out a year" from classes.

Reaction Score
just imagine if the NCAA was to eliminate the one year waiting period between transfers....
The progression of the "transfer" regulations --appears ambiguous , confusing, fair and unfair. .Kids have to be able to get out of bad choice--few do indepth analysis of what they may be entering into (that's not exclusive to kids)-- As the "season" starts, coaches/teams should have the expectation of a year of availability of any given player. These "rash (if it can be called that) of waivers to me is just wrong. If one is allowed to avoid some sitting time--then all must have that option. I never liked "selective" benefits--i.e. what is right for one is right for all, no special treatment.

Reaction Score
Many today do. At almost all "elite" private institutions, there is need-blind admission and full or close-to-full scholarships for those needing them. A great student can accept a full scholarship from (say) Amherst and then transfer to (say) Stanford, which has a stronger CompSci dept. Study right away, go on to be a computer scientist and live a very comfortable life in Silicon Valley, with far less trouble and making a lot, lot, lot more money than a female professional basketball player. No one tells that student to "sit out a year" from classes.

Yes--in terms of "near full " scholarships--MIT, Harvard, Cal Tech, I know provide scholarships to nearly or more than 60 percent of all students. I'm not sure all those in Silicon Valley are making top dollar (my son in law has been doing Artificial Intelligence programming for 30 years has lived outside Palo Alto (Los Altos), Cal) an MIT grad. He and about 30 friends have been working AI since grad work at MIT. Some are filthy and rich, some are filthy rich, some just work for a living. Computer science does not guarantee wealth. Nor does WNBA or Europe or China. I had a Uconn Grad student that opted to teach at SUNY in Computer Science, I doubt he is filthy rich, but happy.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
That little 2.5 minute snippet on transfers didn't just roll out by pure coincidence. I like that Geno owns it: every transfer is on us because it is our job to get it right. Voyeur that I am I wonder who he was referring to in his practice aside to Shea and CD : "It's not going to work . Nothing is going to change. Not for the foreseeable future."

On an more positive note: I continue to be impressed with Kyla's ongoing body transformation. Have always been high on her, but never thought I could use lithe and Kyla in the same sentence. Super impressed.

Reaction Score
That little 2.5 minute snippet on transfers didn't just roll out by pure coincidence. I like that Geno owns it: every transfer is on us because it is our job to get it right. Voyeur that I am I wonder who he was referring to in his practice aside to Shea and CD : "It's not going to work . Nothing is going to change. Not for the foreseeable future."

On an more positive note: I continue to be impressed with Kyla's ongoing body transformation. Have always been high on her, but never thought I could use lithe and Kyla in the same sentence. Super impressed.
I'm friends with a former dean of admission who tells me that he has turned down many rich applicants (whose parents have suggested they would become benefactors) because he just couldn't see them doing well at his (so-called) elite institution. There's a responsibility to get the "right fit" and Geno is owning up to the fact that it's an art, not a science.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The decision may have seemed sudden, but IMHO, as Geno said, the events leading up to it were not. She was tired of basketball. She didn't feel the drive or desire or love for it. I forget her exact quotes, but she not only transferred to be closer to her family/sister, but actually took a year off and played volleyball at Delaware...

Reaction Score
Phil---You hit on a pet peeve of mine. Some speak of the 50,000 or hundreds of thousands of dollars these 18 year old young athletes obtain. THEY EARN every penny. Rarely do they get to complete their education in the allotted 4 years. They, unlike those attending on grants, academic, hardships scholarships, are up at 5 am in practices by 7, on call on demand, travel 2 or 3 times a week during seasons (if you traveled for business you know real rest isn't in hotels), who attend personal appearances with the team, out to hospitals, civic events --how many on "hardship" or academic scholarships are forced to lead this demanding life. You cannot tell me that kids like: Katie Lou (damaged foot), Gabby (damaged hip), Danger (shin), nearly all Uconn greats have physical issues, playing and practicing with pain that would put a Marine Sgt on the side lines--are NOT earning more than 100,000's of dollars in education??? It is far more than insulting to them to make people think--they are getting a real gift.

Reaction Score

I think there is a difference between academic transfers and those of elite athletes...............if Amherst loses five excellent students who decide to transfer to other schools, the school will still function as it had before with little to no effect.............if five recruits from the Amherst basketball team decide to transfer the team will most likely be seriously effected to the detriment of the remaining team members.............

Reaction Score
The decision may have seemed sudden, but IMHO, as Geno said, the events leading up to it were not. She was tired of basketball. She didn't feel the drive or desire or love for it. I forget her exact quotes, but she not only transferred to be closer to her family/sister, but actually took a year off and played volleyball at Delaware...
Your memory is extremely close to mine on the EDD comments after leaving Uconn. I think the year to play Volley ball was predicated on the NCAA requirement to sit a year away from BB.

Reaction Score
The nay sayers should all listen to this interview. Often criticized for his frankness but not afraid to admit his mistakes as few as they may be.
There too he is speaking the obvious.

Reaction Score

Interesting analogy. I think the rule does help provide some necessary stability for the top Div. I schools. Kids can be pretty naive and impulsive at that age, and are always susceptible to " wooing." The grass, as we all have learned, is always greener somewhere else. But so many of the players ( at UCONN, at least ) who have " rough" freshman seasons ( and perhaps are tempted to leave ) wind up loving the place like den mothers. And the tough transfer rule may have often been the difference maker in a player staying or leaving. In the case of Elena, there was an exiguous circumstance which cried out for , " exception." I understand. As long as the transferees maintain their scholarships ( at their new schools ), it does not seem an egregious price to pay (even if the edge goes to the school selected by the player in the first instance). There is also some odd rule, is there not, about a player getting an extra year if they enroll in graduate work? Anyway, I always feel badly when someone like AEH leaves. And, clearly, the one year rule did not impact her decision. Sorry to blather on.

Does anyone know why she left? I watched Gens's show and he implied that sometimes the "fit" wasn't right, but he didn't elaborate ( of course ).

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Crazy to equate academic only students with athletes who get free ride scollies.

A free ride for many athletes that would not have been accepted on their academics alone. How many schools would offer an academic scholarship to a person with knuckle dragger SAT scores?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom