August 2019 WNBA Discussions, scores, game info, pictures | Page 7 | The Boneyard

August 2019 WNBA Discussions, scores, game info, pictures

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Los Angeles has completely collapsed in the second half. I swear, Candace Parker sometimes treats defense like a deadbeat dad treats child support.

Sparks led by 10 in the 3rd quarter but now Dallas is up 6 with 2:30 to play. Arike is having an outstanding game, leading all scorers with 28, further shoring up the inevitability of her ROY selection. After all, how can you not vote for a player who leads her team to an 8-17 record?

Honestly 8-17 is extremely impressive for Dallas. They have no one good on their roster. They have no business being ahead of anyone in the standings, especially the likes of Atlanta or the Liberty (who at this point they may catch and pass). They lost 2 All-WNBA players without any replacement and they weren't even good last year (15-19). Arike is quite literally their only playmaker and is playing incredibly well as of late. Last 5 games Dallas is 3-2 and Arike is averaging 23.4 ppg and shooting 47.6% from the floor and 48% from deep. If she keeps up her elevated play to finish the year she likely will (and should) win ROY.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Interesting stat....7 of the top 15 scorers right now are shooting under 40% from the floor:
Bonner-38.1
Charles-37.9
Arike-37.0
Deshields-37.4
Sims-39.9
Nurse-38.4
Hayes-39.5

And only 2 of the top 15 are shooting over 50% (Griner at 54% and EDD at 51.5%)

Compare that to last year where the top 24 players all shot over 40% from the floor, and 4 of the top 15 shot 50% or higher.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
But she had no assists :p. Haha joking. Her teammates weren't exactly hot aside from Glory. If they can't guard you, they can't guard you. Plus all those free throws. She's going to be a big time scorer in this league.

Hey, she did have 6 rebounds, so she was pitching in on the boards. And she played all but 54 seconds of the game, so I'd expect turnovers given her propensity to head to the hoop hard and often (although 6 is still too much). Kara Lawson once commented that Ogunbowale accelerates very quickly (particularly from the wings inward) and her strength allows her to get layup attempts off and/or get fouled. When she's also hitting threes and getting to the line -- as in this game -- that's optimal for her and Alger.

As for the turnovers, well...Skylar and/or MoJeff can take care of the rock next year in the half-court sets...Arike will want it on the break. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hey, she did have 6 rebounds, so she was pitching in on the boards. And she played all but 54 seconds of the game, so I'd expect turnovers given her propensity to head to the hoop hard and often (although 6 is still too much). Kara Lawson once commented that Ogunbowale accelerates very quickly (particularly from the wings inward) and her strength allows her to get the layups off and/or get fouled. When she's hitting threes and getting to the line, that's optimal for her and Alger.

As for the turnovers, well...Skylar and/or MoJeff can take care of the rock next year in the half-court sets...Arike will want it on the break. ;)
I watched the game and she would've at least 3 or 4 assists if her teammates had made their shots. It is what it is.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Interesting stat....7 of the top 15 scorers right now are shooting under 40% from the floor:
Bonner-38.1
Charles-37.9
Arike-37.0
Deshields-37.4
Sims-39.9
Nurse-38.4
Hayes-39.5

And only 2 of the top 15 are shooting over 50% (Griner at 54% and EDD at 51.5%)

Compare that to last year where the top 24 players all shot over 40% from the floor, and 4 of the top 15 shot 50% or higher.

I was curious as to the respective true shooting percentages of those players. They are:
Nurse - 54.0
Bonner - 51.0
Hayes - 49.4
DeShields - 48.3
Sims - 47.8
Arike - 47.1
Charles - 44.0

Charles' shooting percentage is especially hideous when you consider that she isn't making it up for it with 3s as much as the other.

By the way, #1 in true shooting percentage for those with 5 or more FGA/game? Stef Dolson at 66.1. Allie Quigley is #2 at 63.7.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Honestly 8-17 is extremely impressive for Dallas. They have no one good on their roster. They have no business being ahead of anyone in the standings, especially the likes of Atlanta or the Liberty (who at this point they may catch and pass). They lost 2 All-WNBA players without any replacement and they weren't even good last year (15-19). Arike is quite literally their only playmaker and is playing incredibly well as of late. Last 5 games Dallas is 3-2 and Arike is averaging 23.4 ppg and shooting 47.6% from the floor and 48% from deep. If she keeps up her elevated play to finish the year she likely will (and should) win ROY.
I don't think it's that impressive, especially that awful road record. The quality of play in the league overall is markedly down this year. Last year the Liberty were 7-27 and the Fever were 6-28. Dallas may not have the superstars that some other teams have, but they have a very good coach and a lot of "serviceable" players. Kayla Thornton, Allisha Gray, Glory Johnson and others are capable of big games on any given might. Arike is for sure their best playmaker but I wouldn't say she's all alone.

There's almost no doubt they'll name her ROY; I said this at the start of July. Whether she should get it is a whole other debate.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Practically tripped over Muffet and Beth Cunningham on the way into Wintrust Arena. Naturally I was too chicken to say hello.

Probably get another shot on Sunday when Jackie, KMac and the Aces are in town.

My other pregame observation is that Kalani Brown has tree trunks for legs. There are "bigs" and then there are BIGS.

Plebe

Reaction Score
My other pregame observation is that Kalani Brown has tree trunks for legs. There are "bigs" and then there are BIGS.
I'll never forget seeing Kalani in person for the first time when Baylor played at UCLA in fall 2017. Her giantness does not translate through the screen. At her side Monique Billings, an uber-athletic but thin 6'4", looked like a Lilliputian who was maybe a third her body mass.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Lou with some quality minutes in the second as the Sky are on a bit of a run.

Chicago up 35-18. Lou has 5.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Not breaking any news here but Candace Parker is *easily* the biggest complainer in the league.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Four very competitive games. :eek:

Sun steal one from the Storm and Liberty about to upchuck one to Dallas.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Not breaking any news here but Candace Parker is *easily* the biggest complainer in the league.
Amen to that. If only she put as much effort into playing defense as she does to complaining to the refs.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Practically tripped over Muffet and Beth Cunningham on the way into Wintrust Arena. Naturally I was too chicken to say hello.
Word is she tried her hardest to start a militant chant of:
"What do we want?! Fire all the male head coaches! When do we want it?! NOW!"

But for some reason it didn't catch on.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Word is she tried her hardest to start a militant chant of:
"What do we want?! Fire all the male head coaches! When do we want it?! NOW!"

But for some reason it didn't catch on.

It's a bit wordy, tbh.

They came in from Indiana just for a Mabrey DNP-CD. And to chat with Dev Peters, I guess.

Reaction Score
I'll never forget seeing Kalani in person for the first time when Baylor played at UCLA in fall 2017. Her giantness does not translate through the screen. At her side Monique Billings, an uber-athletic but thin 6'4", looked like a Lilliputian who was maybe a third her body mass.

I attended the final SEC game between SC and Miss St last year and during warmups I was court side watching the ladies warm up and I would have to say McCowan is huge in person as well! I’m 6’3” and I have stood next to A’ja Wilson on multiple occasions and could look her square in the eyes but McCowan makes me feel like I’m a midget and very few people can do that!

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
It's a bit wordy, tbh.

They came in from Indiana just for a Mabrey DNP-CD. And to chat with Dev Peters, I guess.

Or, maybe take her out to dinner for a pep talk.
She's been riding tides with Coach Derek recently: playing steadily (almost splitting minutes with Wiese); then seeing cutback and playing behind elder Samuelsson; getting more minutes (again) after Samuelsson's seven-day contract is not renewed; and, now a DNP. I see Brown was also a DNP. Time to plot best overseas locations to get minutes. And maybe the two fledgling fashionistas can come up with some joint ideas/designs. :rolleyes:;)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Sky's Lavender to have surgery for broken foot -

CHICAGO -- Sky center Jantel Lavender will undergo surgery on Wednesday to repair a fracture in her left foot.

She suffered the injury last week in Chicago's game against Las Vegas in the third quarter.

The procedure will be performed by Dr. Kelly Hynes at the University of Chicago Medicine, and recovery time is expected to be two months.

[LINK]

Reaction Score
Indiana should just hire the best High School coach they can find. Pokey is killing her team again with horrible player management. Not sure how she keeps her job.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Washington with a total beatdown on Indiana, 107-68. The Fever won 2Q by 24-19, but in the other three quarters the scores were 24-10, 36-19 and 28-15 for the Mystics. Yikes.

Elena Delle Donne with another masterpiece: 25 points on 7-10 FG and 8-8 FT, plus 9 rebounds, 4 assists, and 0 turnovers. What's really scary is that this was the 4th straight game missed by Kristi Toliver; I'm not sure what her timetable is. Mystics again showing tremendous balance behind EDD: Powers had 19, Atkins 14, Meesseman 11, Cloud 9. Powers has been coming on strong lately, averaging 16.6 ppg in her last 5 games.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Washington with a total beatdown on Indiana, 100-67. The Fever won 2Q by 24-19, but in the other three quarters the scores were 24-10, 36-19 and 28-15 for the Mystics. Yikes.

Elena Delle Donne with another masterpiece: 25 points on 7-10 FG and 8-8 FT, plus 9 rebounds, 4 assists, and 0 turnovers. What's really scary is that this was the 4th straight game missed by Kristi Toliver; I'm not sure what her timetable is. Mystics again showing tremendous balance behind EDD: Powers had 19, Atkins 14, Meesseman 11, Cloud 9. Powers has been coming on strong lately, averaging 16.6 ppg in her last 5 games.
I saw 107-68?

Delle Donne is so good, as is her supporting cast.

McCowan was also really good, a 14-10 double double and -1 in 19:15 in a game where they lost by 39 is pretty good.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
McCowan was also really good, a 14-10 double double and -1 in 19:15 in a game where they lost by 39 is pretty good.
She’s really impressed me this summer. She will be a force. Indiana would do well to pair her and Achonwa up in the paint more often.

Kia, Tina and the Liberty are up against Phoenix in a couple of minutes!

ETA: I forgot Bria!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom