Auburn OC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Auburn OC

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Well, UConn can manage some extended obscurity now. Now that we are stuck in the AAC for at least the next 6 or so years, we have time to ride Diaco out and bring in someone fresh who gets their own chance of turning us around before the next round of realignment.

UConn absolutely does need to be financially conservative because of that extended stay in purgatory.

If our administration allows money to be the sole factor in determining how to extinguish the flames from this three alarm fire, then we deserve to be small time and we belong in a conference commensurate with that status.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I think he will be back but his staff needs a serious shake up on both sides of the ball. I think we will see a new offensive and defensive coordinator after the season along with at least another position coach

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I think he will be back but his staff needs a serious shake up on both sides of the ball. I think we will see a new offensive and defensive coordinator after the season along with at least another position coach

Hopefully Diaco hasn't worked with any of them in the past.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
This is the kind of coach UConn needs. A successful young offensive mind with major conference experience. With Benedicts Auburn roots, you would think he might be able to make this happen. Lashlee is young enough that he would take a HC job at a g5 school. And he wouldn't break the bank.

How Rhett Lashlee helped save Gus Malzahn's job at Auburn

I have concluded during today's game that BD isn't fixable. I know I am late to the party on this. He might get better down the road, but it doesn't appear to be happening here. I love how he runs the program, hate how he runs the games. I was hopeful before today...now I am not.

Time to look forward. Benedict needs to make a bold move. Lashlee is the kind of hire they need.

Lashlee makes almost as much as Diaco, and will likely be at about $1.5mil as a coordinator next year. No chance.

Go get Todd Orlando as HC, and see if he can get TJ Weist back here.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
If its important enough to a school strategy, they can creatively find money for times like this. The state of Louisiana is broke but still found 10mm to buy out Miles. I know that is a different situation, but it shows that sometimes you have to take the short term hit to achieve your long term objectives.

Not one cent of public money was used to pay Miles as the LSU coach or for his buyout. Boosters straight up pay that through TAF (Tiger Athletic Foundation)

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Not one cent of public money was used to pay Miles as the LSU coach or for his buyout. Boosters straight up pay that through TAF (Tiger Athletic Foundation)

Maybe the LSU boosters can buy out BD ;)

This is where Benedict earns his money. Can he find the money internally or externally to make this happen.

Reaction Score
So you are saying that for financial reasons, UConn should let the football program sink further into obscurity.

Of course this is not an easy decision, but they put themselves in this position. If they don't move on from BD, they can save a few bucks but they risk further erosion of the fan base.

It's a tough trade off. You say keep him and save the cash. I say find a way to get the cash and try to save the football program.
Agree, we'd be penny wise and pound foolish if BD stays.

Reaction Score
Anyone know what the buyout would have been without the extension?

Original contract:

12/12/13 to 12/31/14 = $4.2m
1/1/15 to 12/21/15 - $2.8m
1/1/16 to 12/31/16 = $1.4m
1//1/17 to 12/31/17 = $800k
1/1/18 to 12/31/19 = $800k

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I think people here don't understand how much 5 million dollars really is. For reference, only 6 coaches make anything more than Diacos buyout. To pay Diaco 5 million to not coach our football team would be worse than keeping him around.

Reaction Score
Call Art Briles. He's as desperate as we are. We need to swing for the fences.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I think people here don't understand how much 5 million dollars really is. For reference, only 6 coaches make anything more than Diacos buyout. To pay Diaco 5 million to not coach our football team would be worse than keeping him around.

It's much easier and cheaper to bump up the pay scale for a new OC and DC (and other assistants) than it is to pay $5M to buyout a coach...then hand a new coach in the necessary $2-$2.5M/yr range.

Dooley

Reaction Score

I want a better offense and more wins as much as the next guy, but if we ever hired a slime bucket like Briles to be our next coach, I'm tapping out for good. I'd even prefer paying Jim Tressels' "show clause" penalty for a few years than hire Briles. I don't want his football culture anywhere near Storrs or Connecticut. We already have a fragmented fanbase as it is. Hiring Briles would 100% guarantee that all WBB fans and just about everyone who has a daughter, niece, cousin, girlfriend, wife, aunt, grandmother, etc to not buy a single ticket to any football game.

Reaction Score

I'll choose to believe you were going for the shock value effect but just in case you weren't --- UConn's Title IX history and $$million+ settlements make that a non-starter more now than ever.

From yesterday: Baylor Details ‘Horrifying’ Alleged Sexual Assaults by Football Players (You may need to google the title (Baylor Details ‘Horrifying’ Alleged Sexual Assaults by Football Players) to get past WSJ paywall.)

>>The sexual-violence scandal at Baylor University that cost its celebrated football coach his job involved 17 women who reported sexual or domestic assaults involving 19 players, including four alleged gang rapes, since 2011, according to Baylor regents.<<

Dooley

Reaction Score
I'll choose to believe you were going for the shock effect but just in case you weren't --- UConn's Title IX history and $$million+ settlements make that a non-starter more now than ever.

From yesterday: Baylor Details ‘Horrifying’ Alleged Sexual Assaults by Football Players (You may need to google the title (Baylor Details ‘Horrifying’ Alleged Sexual Assaults by Football Players) to get past WSJ paywall.)

>>The sexual-violence scandal at Baylor University that cost its celebrated football coach his job involved 17 women who reported sexual or domestic assaults involving 19 players, including four alleged gang rapes, since 2011, according to Baylor regents.<<

Absolutely sickening what kind of program Briles runs.

C

Chief00

TJ is a very viable option. Unfortunately, I can't see Benedict making the bold move to fire Diaco and pay the buyout only to hire another unproven head coach. If I were in his shoes, I'd feel more comfortable with a guy like Moorhead because he definitely knows how to run a football program.

What I like about TJ is that he has a very powerful presence, he just seems like a head coach. He is also very positive and upbeat. He doesn't make excuses for anything, ever. He's a nice blend of new school (composure, optimism, offense) and old school (love the short sleeves).

At the time he was my pick. An organization needs to reward success and he won the last 3 games after the Coach P mess.

Reaction Score
The public view on a hire such as Briles is a polar opposite compared to Diaco in the INTEGRITY department. Would never and will never happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom