Auburn OC | The Boneyard

Auburn OC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
This is the kind of coach UConn needs. A successful young offensive mind with major conference experience. With Benedicts Auburn roots, you would think he might be able to make this happen. Lashlee is young enough that he would take a HC job at a g5 school. And he wouldn't break the bank.

How Rhett Lashlee helped save Gus Malzahn's job at Auburn

I have concluded during today's game that BD isn't fixable. I know I am late to the party on this. He might get better down the road, but it doesn't appear to be happening here. I love how he runs the program, hate how he runs the games. I was hopeful before today...now I am not.

Time to look forward. Benedict needs to make a bold move. Lashlee is the kind of hire they need.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Diaco is here for another year, as painful as it is to accept. He's not going anywhere.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Diaco is here for another year, as painful as it is to accept. He's not going anywhere.
I don't know now. I agreed with that thinking until today. I think the team has quit on him. And that's the first time I have felt that with BD.

The AD didn't hire him and has no loyalty to him. I think this will be a very telling decision for UConn administration. If they let it ride with BD that tells me that this will be a financial decision and turning around the football program isn't a priority. Which also means they probably have given up on gaining p5 status.

If they do make a move then you know that hiring Benedict was an indicator that football success was a priority and they need to figure out the short term financial issue because long term p5 viability is more important.

Reaction Score
Time to look forward. Benedict needs to make a bold move. Lashlee is the kind of hire they need.

You're 100 percent right but because of Benedict's first bold move his hands are tied.

The only thing UConn fans can hope for is that Diaco pulls a Lou Holtz Jets 1976 and quits.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I don't want coordinators coming in. I want a proven FCS coach who is experienced with managing games.

That would work also. ND St coach for example. I say lashlee because of the auburn ties and I worry without a personal connection it will be difficult to attract top talent to the current bad state of UConn football.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I would take TJ at this point. He knows us and can implement a fun offense. He will be cheap to make Diaco's buyout reasonable.

Just can't take this Diaco crap anymore.

Maybe that's the answer too. To make a change you have to get a cheap hire. Not sure Weist is the answer but cheap works.

Just thinking about another year of soft defense with soft offense with a soft headed head coach, is going to kill this program.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Shaky, if you are willing to cover Disco's buyout I'm sure I can get you a meeting with Benedict to discuss this.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Shaky, if you are willing to cover Disco's buyout I'm sure I can get you a meeting with Benedict to discuss this.

So you are saying that for financial reasons, UConn should let the football program sink further into obscurity.

Of course this is not an easy decision, but they put themselves in this position. If they don't move on from BD, they can save a few bucks but they risk further erosion of the fan base.

It's a tough trade off. You say keep him and save the cash. I say find a way to get the cash and try to save the football program.

Reaction Score
TJ is a very viable option. Unfortunately, I can't see Benedict making the bold move to fire Diaco and pay the buyout only to hire another unproven head coach. If I were in his shoes, I'd feel more comfortable with a guy like Moorhead because he definitely knows how to run a football program.

What I like about TJ is that he has a very powerful presence, he just seems like a head coach. He is also very positive and upbeat. He doesn't make excuses for anything, ever. He's a nice blend of new school (composure, optimism, offense) and old school (love the short sleeves).

Reaction Score
This may not even be Bendicts decision. Herbst is such a hard charger she will put a lot of pressure on Benedict. He better have some options to offer when she and he meet next week

Reaction Score
If you're firing Diaco with the plan of making a "cheap" hire, you're asking for trouble. I agree seriously evaluating making the financial commitment to fire him at this point and make a change, but if you're going to do that, you can't half-ass it and go for the cheap hire, you have to make the investment in the right hire.

Reaction Score
So you are saying that for financial reasons, UConn should let the football program sink further into obscurity.

Of course this is not an easy decision, but they put themselves in this position. If they don't move on from BD, they can save a few bucks but they risk further erosion of the fan base.

It's a tough trade off. You say keep him and save the cash. I say find a way to get the cash and try to save the football program.
Well, UConn can manage some extended obscurity now. Now that we are stuck in the AAC for at least the next 6 or so years, we have time to ride Diaco out and bring in someone fresh who gets their own chance of turning us around before the next round of realignment.

UConn absolutely does need to be financially conservative because of that extended stay in purgatory.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
This may not even be Bendicts decision. Herbst is such a hard charger she will put a lot of pressure on Benedict. He better have some options to offer when she and he meet next week

If its important enough to a school strategy, they can creatively find money for times like this. The state of Louisiana is broke but still found 10mm to buy out Miles. I know that is a different situation, but it shows that sometimes you have to take the short term hit to achieve your long term objectives.

Reaction Score

Suzie will offer suggestions after consulting with the Rock Star, who will suggest sending Don Brown back east in exchange for UConn opening at the Big House for 5 straight years without a return trip to East Hartford.:confused::(Head bang

Reaction Score
Give him next year. No one could ever say he wasn't given a fair shot. Just put a muzzle on him. No one wants to hear his stupid quotes anymore. Its not cute.

Reaction Score
Give him next year. No one could ever say he wasn't given a fair shot. Just put a muzzle on him. No one wants to hear his stupid quotes anymore. Its not cute.
Fine, he can start next year, but I want Benedict to start his search for his replacement now, acting as if Diaco won't last all season next year (he won't).

Reaction Score
Another year of this? What is preventing more season ticket holders from defecting? There has to be some hope, and who has any right now?

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score

Really? Keep him so he gets a fair shot? And if he fails again you have a further damaged football program but you will be happy because he got a fair shot?

Here is the issue. BD at his best is still boring football. He will never play an exciting offense and he will always play bend don't break defense. So you give him another year and say he goes 7-5. Will that bring fans back when those wins were 10- 7? Nope. But now you don't fire him because he won 7 games and you got to a bowl. So then you have another year. Meanwhile...attendance further dwindles and any hope of p5 is completely gone. I am being overly dramatic but I really think one more year will be bad for the school.

He wasn't the right guy to energize the fan base. Cut your losses now.

Reaction Score
Really? Keep him so he gets a fair shot? And if he fails again you have a further damaged football program but you will be happy because he got a fair shot?

Here is the issue. BD at his best is still boring football. He will never play an exciting offense and he will always play bend don't break defense. So you give him another year and say he goes 7-5. Will that bring fans back when those wins were 10- 7? Nope. But now you don't fire him because he won 7 games and you got to a bowl. So then you have another year. Meanwhile...attendance further dwindles and any hope of p5 is completely gone. I am being overly dramatic but I really think one more year will be bad for the school.

He wasn't the right guy to energize the fan base. Cut your losses now.
I dont want him back. But he is expensive to fire, and we fired a coach after 2 years and 4 games prior to him. Don't want a reputation as a school that won't give a coach a chance. But whatever, if they want to fire him go ahead. If they want to bring him back, go ahead.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

I didn't say 'keep him' nor did I say 'replace him'. I do however find it curious how easy it is for some people to throw things around (such as canning the current coach who is under contract and bringing in an assistant to replace him). Today sucked. I get the frustration and I see little to believe Diaco can turn this around quickly. I do know that the last time I felt like this after a loss was when TJ took the team to Orlando. Somehow, today TJ is the savior in some posters' eyes.

Many act as if replacing a head football coach is no different than buying a new pair of dress shoes. The decision needs to be a bit more deliberate than that.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I didn't say 'keep him' nor did I say 'replace him'. I do however find it curious how easy it is for some people to throw things around (such as canning the current coach who is under contract and bringing in an assistant to replace him). Today sucked. I get the frustration and I see little to believe Diaco can turn this around quickly. I do know that the last time I felt like this after a loss was when TJ took the team to Orlando. Somehow, today TJ is the savior in some posters' eyes.

Many act as if replacing a head football coach is no different than buying a new pair of dress shoes. The decision needs to be a bit more deliberate than that.
I agree. I am just saying that I hope they are looking for ways to overcome the financial hurdle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom