Aubrey's Offensive Game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Aubrey's Offensive Game

Reaction Score
Regarding Aubrey and Anna, it seems to me that Aubrey's free throws have minimal rotation and appear flatter than most. Could be nerves, but seems more form to me. As for Anna, I noted after a few of the games that Anna's 3 pt shot arc is the lowest of all the players on the team and it's really not close, lower arc=lower opening to make. Crystal Dangerfield and Meg have the highest arcs on the team and their percentages reflect this. Molly, Kyla, CW all looked about the same arc trajectory. Then again, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...:rolleyes:
You are spot on regarding rotation. Not rocket science. Rotation starts with how you hold the ball. Relatively easy to predict if ONO and Aubrey will make foul shots. If they shoot the ball with their hand across the ball's lines, they and few others make foul or other shots. All due respect to Aubrey's basketball family but most kids learn this in grade school.

Reaction Score
Agree with Jingo!
I wonder if Kevinmac was watching the same game?
Kevinmac please elaborate more on your comment.....”Anna has no shot inside the three point line”.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Regarding Aubrey and Anna, it seems to me that Aubrey's free throws have minimal rotation and appear flatter than most. Could be nerves, but seems more form to me. As for Anna, I noted after a few of the games that Anna's 3 pt shot arc is the lowest of all the players on the team and it's really not close, lower arc=lower opening to make. Crystal Dangerfield and Meg have the highest arcs on the team and their percentages reflect this. Molly, Kyla, CW all looked about the same arc trajectory. Then again, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...:rolleyes:
Notably, the arc on Megan’s shot was all over the place as a freshman, much better last year and consistently good (high) this season. Obviously, she’s worked on it and became a much better shooter. Hopefully, the frosh will go through similar transformations.

Reaction Score
Do we need a "4" ? ... if so, probly Aaliyah
[
Not disagreeing just curious. If Megan doesn't play the 4 next year for UCONN, who does?
There will be times where we don't want to give up a height disadvantage at the power forward position such as having a 6'1" Meg cover a 6'4" opponent. It happened this year and it also effects who covers Meg on defense and I think therefore her offense . At the 3, I don't think anyone will be able to stay with her next year. I would think the options are either Aubrey at the 4(assuming a big Megan type leap over the summer)or Aaliyah at times as indicated astutely above by Jingo or maybe Piath plays the 5 and Liv moves to the 4 here and there or simply plays the 4. There are so many options next year to go big. Meg has been out of position all year but it has helped her because imagine her getting 20 and 8 from the 3 position next year. Perhaps it will be 22 and 5. Either way it should be an insurmountable problem for some teams. I also like Squeaks at the 2. That is her natural position also. Just some thoughts.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Do we need a "4" ? ... if so, probly Aaliyah
UCONN will definitely need a quality 4 against teams like South Carolina, Baylor, Oregon just like we needed one this year. I'm hopeful Aaliyah can be that quality 4.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
UCONN will definitely need a quality 4 against teams like South Carolina, Baylor, Oregon just like we needed one this year. I'm hopeful Aaliyah can be that quality 4.
If Aaliyah can earn the starting 4 spot that would allow Megan to move to the wing, which is really her natural position. A frontcourt if Liv, Megan & Aaliyah would be pretty formidable.

Reaction Score
Agree with Jingo!
I wonder if Kevinmac was watching the same game?
Kevinmac please elaborate more on your comment.....”Anna has no shot inside the three point line”.
Are layups considered "inside the three point line”? If so then Ania made a lefty and a righty layup(s) off of brilliant steals, eh? The two layups are in addition to her pull-up jumpers...

Reaction Score
One aspect of Aubrey's game that may be important going into the tournament is the ability to draw fouls. Some of the best teams have weak benches, like Oregon. If Aubrey could cause foul trouble for Hebard and Sabally, Oregon could be vulnerable.

As some have pointed out, Gabby was known for her shooting range of 2 feet from the basket as a freshman. She was also a poor free throw shooter, but she brought high energy and hustle when she came in. Aubrey is similar in these respects. With Stewie, Tuck, and Jefferson on the team, Gabby had some time to develop. We need Aubrey this year.

Reaction Score
I love Aubrey, her defense is so spectacular with her low wide stance and ability to move quickly. She brings so much energy to the team when out there, and her rebounding is fantastic too.

She definitely can run the break- wish she could show Makurat how to make a layup (Makurat releases the ball too hard & doesn't extend arm enough/use finger roll at end).

My question is: can she shoot the ball at all, or if not, can she learn how to shoot? Imagine how tough she becomes if she can hit the 10-15 foot in the lane shot. What was her game like in high school? Are her shooting mechanics flawed? I'm not a coach just a fan who is rooting for her. If she needs shooting help, is this something that can be learned?

No--- she can't shoot . The stats don't lie.

But there is no way anyone can say that she can't learn to shoot. Each year there is hope. Eventually Kelly Faris turned into a very good shooter and she couldn't shoot early on.

But for this year-- no -- she can't. Anyone that says she can -- is just wishing. I hope their wish (mine too!) comes true :)
. . . but . . .

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Candidly, next year might be another lost opportunity/season/championship if Megan is the main UCONN PF. Gabby and Napheesa played that position at an AA level and the team's season result was the same=below championship level. I don't envision Megan playing that position better than those two. To be clear I'm not saying you need AA play out of that position but you do need size, bulk and ruggedness and skill level comparable to Kylee Shook.
You do know they made it to the final four those years and basically lost on last second shot. I’m glad you cleared up that’s not the reason they didn’t win the championship

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm not disagreeing either but as of right now-- I don't see a 4. But that doesn't mean one can't emerge such as Aubrey or Edwards etc.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
It’s nice to see Gabby knocking down 3s in the euro league these days

Reaction Score
One aspect of Aubrey's game that may be important going into the tournament is the ability to draw fouls. Some of the best teams have weak benches, like Oregon. If Aubrey could cause foul trouble for Hebard and Sabally, Oregon could be vulnerable.

As some have pointed out, Gabby was known for her shooting range of 2 feet from the basket as a freshman. She was also a poor free throw shooter, but she brought high energy and hustle when she came in. Aubrey is similar in these respects. With Stewie, Tuck, and Jefferson on the team, Gabby had some time to develop. We need Aubrey this year.
Haha. I'm watching Oregon vs. Cal right now. From what I'm seeing I'm afraid Aubrey isn't going to cause trouble of any kind for Hebard and Sabally.

Reaction Score
I agree with you particularly on Anna's Shot and she has no shot inside the three point line.
She has taken only a few jump shots inside arc and made most of them. It is actually one of her best attributes and glad to see her take more and make them lately.

Reaction Score
So I looked up AG highlights from high school to see how she shoot the ball and I can't believe that someone who can shoot the ball with the form she shows in this video would have such bad FT shooting form. If she can regain her shooting form, she would be hard to defend.

Reaction Score
I stayed at the Hilton last night LOL!

Reaction Score
Kevinmac....
Did you see Anna’s non-three’s last game?
Listen to Geno's post press Conference on Anna yesterday. It sums up Anna honestly plus question on her from local paper.

Reaction Score
D1 basketball is not high school, freshman at this level are not the seniors they were the year before. Players are not robots, there are adjustments, many mental, as you go up the food chain. Physically, Griffin is adjusting to a completely different style of play than high school, as well as a completely different role. One of the biggest adjustments she has had to make is that in high school, she could never take a bad shot, here she is expected to “defer” for want of a better term. That is an incredibly difficult adjustment, a completely different on the court mind set which I am sure has her “thinking”, which can be a killer. Add in the extra pressure of having to step in and contribute immediately at UCONN and under the circumstances I think she has played quite well. In general terms the same applies to Makurat.

Reaction Score
Listen to Geno's post press Conference on Anna yesterday. It sums up Anna honestly plus question on her from local paper.
Yes, much of the presser was devoted to Anna, and Geno, as usual, had fun “more of a fast walk” in describing her drive, which he cited as play of the game, while stressing her improvement, and her play “really, really good.” As he said in an earlier presser “we went to Poland and struck gold.”

Reaction Score
I did listen Kevinmac......and quite frankly I guess you were watching another game!
Go Anna, we love you! That drive to basket yesterday......that one was just Superb! Keep growing on these last games! You have LOTS of fans here! Your potential is limitless!

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom