Aubrey's Offensive Game | The Boneyard

Aubrey's Offensive Game

Reaction Score
I love Aubrey, her defense is so spectacular with her low wide stance and ability to move quickly. She brings so much energy to the team when out there, and her rebounding is fantastic too.

She definitely can run the break- wish she could show Makurat how to make a layup (Makurat releases the ball too hard & doesn't extend arm enough/use finger roll at end).

My question is: can she shoot the ball at all, or if not, can she learn how to shoot? Imagine how tough she becomes if she can hit the 10-15 foot in the lane shot. What was her game like in high school? Are her shooting mechanics flawed? I'm not a coach just a fan who is rooting for her. If she needs shooting help, is this something that can be learned?

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Couldn't agree more! I love this kid. When she's in the game "stuff" happens. Opponent's offense is disrupted, crashing of the boards, etc. My wife hears me say "guess who" when plays are made, steals, rebounds etc. and finally says to me "I'm watching too".
I wait with anticipation, to see her enter the game. Does she do "dumb" stuff? Sure, show me a freshman who doesn't. Can't figure why Geno doesn't play her more. However, I trust Geno and believe he knows better than I and am willing to be patient as Aubrey is coached and developed. I get very excited when I think of her future years on our team.
Go Huskies!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I watched Aubrey put up 30+ in each of her last 4 HS games, while her team won the NY state championships and finished 2nd to powerhouse CTK in the Federation Cup. Aubrey scored from everywhere, driving to the basket, knocking down 3’s and pulling up for mid-range jumpers.

The main difference between then and now, is that Aubrey basically had the ball in her hand all the time and was able to create her own offense. Now she’s still trying to understand how to fit into a motion offense where her shots will come in the flow of that offense. In addition, I think she’s suffering through a lack of confidence in her shot, something we’ve seen this season with both Anna & Christyn.

Aubrey also has some mechanics issues with her shot that need to be cleaned up. Her hands never seem to be in the same place when she shoots the ball. In HS, she was a high volume shooter and a much superior athlete, so if she hit a cold patch, she could just shoot her way out of it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I love Aubrey, her defense is so spectacular with her low wide stance and ability to move quickly. She brings so much energy to the team when out there, and her rebounding is fantastic too.

She definitely can run the break- wish she could show Makurat how to make a layup (Makurat releases the ball too hard & doesn't extend arm enough/use finger roll at end).

My question is: can she shoot the ball at all, or if not, can she learn how to shoot? Imagine how tough she becomes if she can hit the 10-15 foot in the lane shot. What was her game like in high school? Are her shooting mechanics flawed? I'm not a coach just a fan who is rooting for her. If she needs shooting help, is this something that can be learned?
She comes from a basketball family. Her father Adrian played at Seton Hall and in the NBA for 9 years and is an assistant coach with the Raptors. Her brother AJ is a top 10 Class of 2021 recruit going to Duke and her other brother is at Illinois. She can shoot although her shot is under developed probably because she didn't need it in high school to dominate. You can bet that she will be getting intense training this off season and working on a pull up jumper and a 3 point shot. I was at the Seton Hall game this year and maybe because it was her father's old gym and there was a comfort level there for her she was extraordinary. Geno has said that she is a very "young" player. If you listen to her talk you can sense that but it isn't a stretch to say that she is a future All-American in the making. As Geno says, she has certain "gifts" that very few people have. She plays defense like her father did and is a similar type of floor player. Her body has to develop also and as she gets stronger her shot will also. She has a very quick first step which will aid her drive moves. If she can learn to stop and pull up no one will be able to shut that move down.

Reaction Score
I watched Aubrey put up 30+ in each of her last 4 HS games, while her team won the NY state championships and finished 2nd to powerhouse CTK in the Federation Cup. Aubrey scored from everywhere, driving to the basket, knocking down 3’s and pulling up for mid-range jumpers.

The main difference between then and now, is that Aubrey basically had the ball in her hand all the time and was able to create her own offense. Now she’s still trying to understand how to fit into a motion offense where her shots will come in the flow of that offense. In addition, I think she’s suffering through a lack of confidence in her shot, something we’ve seen this season with both Anna & Christyn.

Aubrey also has some mechanics issues with her shot that need to be cleaned up. Her hands never seem to be in the same place when she shoots the ball. In HS, she was a high volume shooter and a much superior athlete, so if she hit a cold patch, she could just shoot her way out of it.
I just saw this and I think you have hit on a very important point. You indicate that Aubrey had the ball all the time in high school. The same was true also for Meg and CW and Anna too in the professional league she played in. Since they always had the ball, they didn't move enough without it. Meg will screen at the high post now or beyond and rarely roll to the basket. It makes the pick ineffective and easy to defend. CW will just stand there at times watching the ball. A motion offense means everyone is in motion not just if you have the ball. I think this has been the problem with our terrible starts this year. We just stand around and it makes it easier to defend and get deflections or steals and forces turnovers because we try to force passes. It also has effected our shooting. The coaching staff has said that Aubrey has had a hard time with the offense so they have simplified her role for her with defense, crashing the offensive glass, and looking for steals. She also does have great natural instincts because she will find a seam in the defense and cut to the basket when there is an opening. She is going to be fun to watch develop and she really has no ceiling.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I just saw this and I think you have hit on a very important point. You indicate that Aubrey had the ball all the time in high school. The same was true also for Meg and CW and Anna too in the professional league she played in. Since they always had the ball, they didn't move enough without it. Meg will screen at the high post now or beyond and rarely roll to the basket. It makes the pick ineffective and easy to defend. CW will just stand there at times watching the ball. A motion offense means everyone is in motion not just if you have the ball. I think this has been the problem with our terrible starts this year. We just stand around and it makes it easier to defend and get deflections or steals and forces turnovers because we try to force passes. It also has effected our shooting. The coaching staff has said that Aubrey has had a hard time with the offense so they have simplified her role for her with defense, crashing the offensive glass, and looking for steals. She also does have great natural instincts because she will find a seam in the defense and cut to the basket when there is an opening. She is going to be fun to watch develop and she really has no ceiling.
The fact is that just about every player that UConn brings in had the ball in their hands all the time in HS. Some learn more easily than others how to share the ball and cut hard. Think of Lou & Gabby. Also, if you watch any Hopkins HS games, Paige also has the ball in her hands all the time, but what she does with it involves everyone else on her team.

Reaction Score

She's a lot like Gabby in that respect, not a great shooter in the beginning.

Reaction Score

I think Anna makes far more of her layup attempts than Aubrey who misses a lot. She just seldom works in close. Making layups is also about positioning.

Reaction Score
As a coach, you need players to be predictable in order to set your game plan. Against the better teams, must be difficult for Geno to know how and when to use Aubrey. These teams have athletic players as well, negating some (not all) of Aubrey's defense. Her offense is so inconsistent other teams are leaving her open and doubling on the hot UConn shooters.

Reaction Score
at the game last night, had a very different seat, almost right behind the basket. Her foul shots went every which way, once in a while in the basket. Foul shots are not about not getting the ball in the right position on the court. It is just shooting. Aubrey and Liv need to stay for an hour after every practice. 30 minutes shooting free throws until they make 10, make that 5, in a row. Would not hurt for Williams to join them. Then 30 minutes just shooting 10 to 12 footers. If we are in a close game at the end, and the other team fouls to get the ball, everyone on the floor has to be at least a 70% shooter, and 75 to 80 would be even better. Last night was a 40 point win, but one of our really good teams from the past would have been way over 100 points of offense.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

I was going to say many of the same thing with this addition. Aubrey is not shot ready when she catches the ball regardless of where she is on the court. In the UCONN offensive she is a wing. UCONN wings and guards ALL have got to be a threat when they catch the ball especially from distance. Regardless of how good her defense becomes if she does not become a threat to shoot when open she will risk becoming this version of Mikayla Coombs: reluctant shooter with bad mechanics whose defender will double up on a "real" threat.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
at the game last night, had a very different seat, almost right behind the basket. Her foul shots went every which way, once in a while in the basket. Foul shots are not about not getting the ball in the right position on the court. It is just shooting. Aubrey and Liv need to stay for an hour after every practice. 30 minutes shooting free throws until they make 10, make that 5, in a row. Would not hurt for Williams to join them. Then 30 minutes just shooting 10 to 12 footers. If we are in a close game at the end, and the other team fouls to get the ball, everyone on the floor has to be at least a 70% shooter, and 75 to 80 would be even better. Last night was a 40 point win, but one of our really good teams from the past would have been way over 100 points of offense.
When Coach Girls Basketball just work on form, we t

Her Dad and brothers need to help form on foul shot (six missed) and her jump shot within 15 feet basket this summer. Can Shea Ralph spend time with her now before NCAA as it might be a minor adjustment from foul line?

Reaction Score
Neither Aubrey nor Paige are/were the point guards on their teams .. so no, they did not have the ball in their hands all the time. The point guard for Aubrey's team [Strippoli something] was good and went to Army. I have seen Aubrey play several times in high school and like Old Dude says, Aubrey can shoot and do LOTS of other things. She scored upwards of 30 every time I saw her play. Plus her father is a professional coach.
So what's the answer to her scoring woes? I have no idea... :confused:

Reaction Score
My take on Aubrey and Anna is that both are going to be special players. I think they both have a case of freshman nerves. Wanna do everything right and not disappoint Geno.
Hey, their freshman the nerves will improve with each and every game. I hope both stay in Storrs this summer to work on the specifics of their games. I love both of our A’s! They are good players who are destined to be really special at UCONN! Just give them some time!

Reaction Score
Poor FT is often a case of nerves. You make them in practice, but cant shoot with the same easy motion in real games vs. practice. Most of the team looks that way, not just Aubrey.

Reaction Score
and a great point by you, re "moving without the ball". I don't know if that's something that is coachable, is rather a skill that comes naturally for a few, but not for most. the best I think I've ever seen at UConn was Napheesa; she was so gifted at getting to the right spot, and seemed to do it effortlessly. she has carried that right into the WNBA. and I think one of the weakest at moving without the ball was Maya. for the top players, having the ball in their hands so much in high school may just develop habits that are hard to break.

Reaction Score
and a great point by you, re "moving without the ball". I don't know if that's something that is coachable, is rather a skill that comes naturally for a few, but not for most. the best I think I've ever seen at UConn was Napheesa; she was so gifted at getting to the right spot, and seemed to do it effortlessly. she has carried that right into the WNBA. and I think one of the weakest at moving without the ball was Maya. for the top players, having the ball in their hands so much in high school may just develop habits that are hard to break.
Agree completely. Pheesa found the "slot" all the time. She made the shots look so easy because she had done the work before she even got the ball. The defender was done. Liv is starting to do that. I just wish Meg would work on that more as well with her inside game and mid range pull ups.. Next year she will be a 3 and not a 4 and she is a "big guard" to quote both Kara and Lobo.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Agree completely. Pheesa found the "slot" all the time. She made the shots look so easy because she had done the work before she even got the ball. The defender was done. Liv is starting to do that. I just wish Meg would work on that more as well with her inside game and mid range pull ups.. Next year she will be a 3 and not a 4 and she is a "big guard" to quote both Kara and Lobo.
Not disagreeing just curious. If Megan doesn't play the 4 next year for UCONN, who does?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Neither Aubrey nor Paige are/were the point guards on their teams .. so no, they did not have the ball in their hands all the time. The point guard for Aubrey's team [Strippoli something] was good and went to Army. I have seen Aubrey play several times in high school and like Old Dude says, Aubrey can shoot and do LOTS of other things. She scored upwards of 30 every time I saw her play. Plus her father is a professional coach.
So what's the answer to her scoring woes? I have no idea... :confused:
While Aubrey wasn’t technically the pg on her team, she had the ball in her hands, initiating the offense, a lot more than Strippoli. Strippoli was a very good player for Ossining, but Aubrey also had considerably more assists.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Not disagreeing just curious. If Megan doesn't play the 4 next year for UCONN, who does?

Not that I think any of them will start, but I think that Aaliyah, Aubrey, and Mir will all have minutes at the three and four positions. So while Meg may start at the four, I would bet quite a bit that she doesn't stay there the whole game.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not that I think any of them will start, but I think that Aaliyah, Aubrey, and Mir will all have minutes at the three and four positions. So while Meg may start at the four, I would bet quite a bit that she doesn't stay there the whole game.
Candidly, next year might be another lost opportunity/season/championship if Megan is the main UCONN PF. Gabby and Napheesa played that position at an AA level and the team's season result was the same=below championship level. I don't envision Megan playing that position better than those two. To be clear I'm not saying you need AA play out of that position but you do need size, bulk and ruggedness and skill level comparable to Kylee Shook.

Reaction Score
While Aubrey wasn’t technically the pg on her team, she had the ball in her hands, initiating the offense, a lot more than Strippoli. Strippoli was a very good player for Ossining, but Aubrey also had considerably more assists.
Point taken .. :)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Regarding Aubrey and Anna, it seems to me that Aubrey's free throws have minimal rotation and appear flatter than most. Could be nerves, but seems more form to me. As for Anna, I noted after a few of the games that Anna's 3 pt shot arc is the lowest of all the players on the team and it's really not close, lower arc=lower opening to make. Crystal Dangerfield and Meg have the highest arcs on the team and their percentages reflect this. Molly, Kyla, CW all looked about the same arc trajectory. Then again, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Regarding Aubrey and Anna, it seems to me that Aubrey's free throws have minimal rotation and appear flatter than most. Could be nerves, but seems more form to me. As for Anna, I noted after a few of the games that Anna's 3 pt shot arc is the lowest of all the players on the team and it's really not close, lower arc=lower opening to make. Crystal Dangerfield and Meg have the highest arcs on the team and their percentages reflect this. Molly, Kyla, CW all looked about the same arc trajectory. Then again, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...:rolleyes:
I agree with you particularly on Anna's Shot and she has no shot inside the three point line.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom