OT: - Aubrey's little brother | The Boneyard

OT: Aubrey's little brother

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A.J. Griffin is a highly rated freshman on the Duke men's team. He is a 6'6" leaper and is projected as a top 15-20 draft pick this year, and his stock is rising. He has been in the starting lineup the last 6 games and is lighting up Louisville today, with 22 points. He is 5-5 from the arc today and 32-64 (.500) on the season from deep. Can Aubrey shoot like that? Please!!

BTW, Elizabeth Williams's little brother is also starring for Duke.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I approve this thread. The kid started the year on the sidelines recovering from an injury and was slowly integrated into the line-up. He has such a pretty and soft 3pt jumper, its surprising when he does miss. If he keeps it up and remains healthy..... I've seen/heard that he is a surefire top 5 pick. A joy to watch, and such a humble kid in interviews... easy to root for him.

And yeah... Elizabeth Williams little brother is a monster inside.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I approve this thread. The kid started the year on the sidelines recovering from an injury and was slowly integrated into the line-up. He has such a pretty and soft 3pt jumper, its surprising when he does miss. If he keeps it up and remains healthy..... I've seen/heard that he is a surefire top 5 pick. A joy to watch, and such a humble kid in interviews... easy to root for him.

And yeah... Elizabeth Williams little brother is a monster inside.

A.J. is quiet and humble, like his sister. He reminds me of David Thompson on the floor. He seems to have a great future.

Reaction Score
A.J. Griffin is a highly rated freshman on the Duke men's team. He is a 6'6" leaper and is projected as a top 15-20 draft pick this year, and his stock is rising. He has been in the starting lineup the last 6 games and is lighting up Louisville today, with 22 points. He is 5-5 from the arc today and 32-64 (.500) on the season from deep. Can Aubrey shoot like that? Please!!

BTW, Elizabeth Williams's little brother is also starring for Duke.
Aubrey has never been a shooter. She has unusual athletic skills which makes her a demon on defense, a rebounder and a player who can excel on fast breaks. She almost never took a shot as a freshman ( other than lay up or put back ). One could see that she was "working on a shot" from mid range and distance last season, with mixed results. And this year, of course is a total loss. But I still don't expect her to become known as an accurate shooter. It would be a pleasant surprise, off course.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Aubrey was actually a good shooter in high school, though mostly a slasher. She needs to get her confidence up.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It also helps to have Paolo Banchero (#1 draft pick IMO) on your team :D
True. I think Smith, Holmgren, and Banchero are the consensus top 3 in some order.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
A.J. is quiet and humble, like his sister. He reminds me of David Thompson on the floor. He seems to have a great future.

Thompson was before my time so I've only seen highlights of him. I do know he is widely acknowledged as the greatest ACC player of all time.. and that is saying alot.
It also helps to have Paolo Banchero (#1 draft pick IMO) on your team :D

As well as 3 other possible first round picks in the starting lineup.

Reaction Score
Thompson was before my time so I've only seen highlights of him. I do know he is widely acknowledged as the greatest ACC player of all time.. and that is saying alot.

Wendell Moore and maybe Keels are the only ones I can see leaving. Moore has paid his dues and Keels might be one of the best two way players in the country! Griffin obviously will be back(or should), Mark needs to get a little stronger, and Roach needs to work on his jump shot. With Whitehead, Mitchell, Lively, and Filipowski coming next year the potential will be limitless. I see a squad similar to 2015!

Reaction Score
Aubrey has never been a shooter. She has unusual athletic skills which makes her a demon on defense, a rebounder and a player who can excel on fast breaks. She almost never took a shot as a freshman ( other than lay up or put back ). One could see that she was "working on a shot" from mid range and distance last season, with mixed results. And this year, of course is a total loss. But I still don't expect her to become known as an accurate shooter. It would be a pleasant surprise, off course.
You seem to have incredible expertise as it pertains to Aubrey as a shooter. But I bet you know as much as all of us here, and that is a sample size of, what 10-20 jumpers spread over, what 50 games. Is it possible, that over 2 years or so, she has never gotten past the "should I shoot stage". Not everyone is Caroline, who overcame that in about 10 minutes. Azzi had one good game out of 4 coming out of the gates, and she is one of the purest shooters on the planet. IMO Aubrey was "pigeonholed" into a role on a traditional powerhouse team and I think we all agree she performed her role well, sometimes really well.
Note to self: maybe a disadvantage to signing with a top 5 team is that you are only needed to excel in certain aspects of the game. Remember when Aubrey came in, she was immediately compared to Tenn's Horston. IMO with Tenn as an upstart team, Horston had more freedom to develop as an all-around player.
Like many here, I'm a huge AG fan and I'd love to see her develop her whole game fully!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Aubrey was actually a good shooter in high school, though mostly a slasher. She needs to get her confidence up.

I can't say I'm very familiar with her game. Does she have the form on her jump shot like her younger brother?

Moore and maybe Keels are the only ones I can see leaving. Moore has paid his dues and Keels might be one of the best two way players in the country! Griffin obviously will be back(or should), Mark needs to get a little stronger, and Roach needs to work on his jump shot. With Whitehead, Mitchell, Lively, and Filipowski coming next year the potential will be limitless. I see a squad similar to 2015!

Griffin is a good as gone. His body is already pro-ready....and with his injury history, he needs to go ahead and head to the NBA. Too risky to come back to school and get injured again. I assume Williams is gone as well. I've seen him projected as a first round pick... if he comes back.. he would have to share minutes with Lively... can't see that happening.

Reaction Score

It was said that David could leap for a rebound, take a dollar off the top of the back board and leave change.

Reaction Score
Thompson was the Michael Jordan about 10 years earlier. And he had a shot.
1972-73- UMD had one of the top 5 basketball teams in CBB. Len Elmore, Tom McMillen, John Lucas, all eventually having long NBA careers and notoriety. UMD could not get by NC State, including an epic clash late in the season, Super Bowl Sunday 87-85. NC State was knocked off in the tournament that year but they avenged their defeat and beat UCLA for the national championship in 1973-74. At that time, to gain an NCAA bid, one had to win their conference tournament. Even a regular season conference championship did not ensure a bid. So, this UMD team was left out of the tournament. Imagine that today!

Reaction Score

David Thompson was certainly one of the most spectacular college players of all time.......when they say a player could jump out of the building, with Thompson that was almost true.........my daughter's best guy friend played with AJ at Stepinac and he said that AJ was a really wonderful and unassuming guy........of course you know what I really wanted to know from AJ before Aubrey committed............;)

Reaction Score
Btw, remember when most everyone on this board said that E Williams would be a bust in the WNBA?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Btw, remember when most everyone on this board said that E Williams would be a bust in the WNBA?
I don't recall that, but I do remember wondering whether medical school or professional basketball was the priority for her. She has had a solid career, but hasn't been a star. She's a very good defensive player and average offensive player.

Reaction Score
Watch the first 25 seconds of this:

my daughter's pal is the blonde haired kid in the first scene when AJ is at the foul line (#5).........solid player............played at Marquette, transferred to Albany.......

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom