• Aubrey Griffin

Votes: 86 83.5%
  • Jordan Horston

Votes: 19 18.4%

• Total voters

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Quick question. How much of that ( high turnover numbers) is a function of the lack of caliber teammates to catch some of those passes? Horston led the U17 team in assist but she was throwing the ball to Belebi and Boston.

Probably a combination of poor hands and unnecessary overpassing. Tennessee's posts have awful hands, especially compared to Boston so that's part of it for sure. Opposing defenses are strong too, as U17 competiton is pretty weak compared to playing top 25 D1 ball.

At Tennessee, players arent always set up in a good position to catch the ball so Horston passing to them too early puts them in a bad spot. Horston just needs to wait for them to get position, call for the ball and then make the play instead of rushing it. Not passing related, but last night there was a good example of Horston operating too quickly when one of the posts came out to set a screen but hadn't fully stopped when Horston used it, so it ended up being a moving screen on the post even though Horston was really the one to blame. Something to watch for in future games. Once she slows down her assists will continue to rise and TOs go down.

Reaction Score
So a couple things to think about. I don't know what the TN WBB record is for turnovers, but Horston already has 84, and is averaging about 4.5 per game. There is something else that we know is extremely important to Geno when he evaluates recruits and that is attitude and all that entails: work ethic, teamwork, etc. By all indications, Aubrey works very hard (We don't teach effort at UConn) and she appears to be a wonderful young lady and teammate. For all I know, Horston may be similar in the way she approaches practice, her teammates and so on.

But the question I have is, all things being equal, who will become the better college and professional player? Of course that is an unknowable question, because all things are not equal. Aubrey is playing for the best coaching staff in WBB when it comes to player development. I suspect KJH is a big improvement over HW when it comes to player development, but I'm sure she has a ways to go to match Geno.
LV Nation didn’t hesitate to show their disgust in Horston. She might look to friendlier pastures.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
After seeing last night's game I'd give Horston a pass on her turnovers. When a player passes to a team mate and the fall deflects off her hands or she misses it entirely the TO is awarded to the passer. Tenn has a number of players who just have bad hands.
84 turnovers? That is too many to blame on just her teammates. I've watched a number of her games and some of her passes are just careless and her decision making needs to improve and probably will. No one knows how good Griffin will be. She has an outside shot but said she was told to do things that did not include shooting outside shots. Horston plays a lot more than Griffin does so some things should not be compared. I'm glad we have Griffin. She has a better chance of becoming a starter than some of you think. Thanks oldude for starting this thread. I was thinking of starting one myself.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
84 turnovers? That is too many to blame on just her teammates. I've watched a number of her games and some of her passes are just careless and her decision making needs to improve and probably will. No one knows how good Griffin will be. She has an outside shot but said she was told to do things that did not include shooting outside shots. Horston plays a lot more than Griffin does so some things should not be compared. I'm glad we have Griffin. She has a better chance of becoming a starter than some of you think. Thnks oldude for starting this thread. I was thinking of starting one myself.

Not 84. If Horston was tossing passes to Collier (the human vacuum cleaner) instead of Key, Kushtakuah, et al her to's would be under 50, which isn't so bad for a freshman.

Reaction Score
About a year and a half ago we were all disappointed to learn that Jordan Horston, the #2 HS player in the country, arguably the star of the USA Under 19 World Championship team, was headed to TN. While we were happy to have #21 Aubrey Griffin, it felt a little like a consolation prize. Both players are long and athletic with Horston at 6'2" and Aubrey 1 inch shorter.

Last night they met for the first time in a college game. Horston's stat line = 32 minutes, 4 pts on 2/10 shooting, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal, 6 turnovers. Aubrey's stat line = 23 minutes, 13 pts on 5/8 shooting & 3/4 FT, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 block, 5 steals & 1 turnover. (Each player's stats are highlighted in BOLD where they exceeded the other player respectively,)

So it begs a simple question. Notwithstanding Geno & CD's incomparable ability to develop players, which player would you rather have on your team?
Too easy, @oldude, Aubrey...Ms Excitement!

Reaction Score
Horston was clearly the best player on a team that also started Boston, Jones, Bueckers and Fudd. I would take her in a heartbeat.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Horston was clearly the best player on a team that also started Boston, Jones, Bueckers and Fudd. I would take her in a heartbeat.
If you're talking about the U18 World Championships, then why did Paige walk away with the MVP?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

If you're talking about the U18 World Championships, then why did Paige walk away with the MVP?
@Jordy was talking about U17 in 2018. You are talking U19 in 2019 when Horston DID NOT play because she enrolled at TN early to play with them overseas.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I would take Jordan Griffin. Sorry, Aubrey Horston. Either one is good for me. Horston is a wonderful player, and coming out of the U's I became a big fan. Aubrey is faster and has more spring in her legs. Horston sees the floor better, is a natural floor general, and is almost as fast as Aubrey. Horston also has better basketball instincts, a better handle, and at this point, is mentally a bit more mature. Aubrey is a natural rebounder. Both have those long arms and are deadly on defense. When Horston develops a shot and cuts down on her TO's she's going to be a real handful at the 2. When Aubrey develops a shot she's going to be a real handful at the 3. To me it's a pick 'em. Aubrey though just seems to have a bit more on the upside and she really doesn't know what her capabilities are. Horston has a better handle on her capabilities. During this game it was clear to me that AG was the best athlete on the floor, and that's not going to change.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm shocked at the results of this poll.

*snigger*

Looking forward to the next poll - "Which coach would you rather have at UConn - Geno or Muffet?"

In all seriousness I like Aubrey a lot and am glad to have her on the team. Haven't seen Horston play much, but she's got impressive results in her pre-college history and I'm sure she will again in college.

Reaction Score
Looking at the W, I think Horston is clearly the stronger prospect unless Griffin develops into more of a wing and picks up a stronger perimeter game. Undersized forwards usually dont make big impacts in the league unless you're Maya Moore or Sheryl Swoopes.

WNBA rookie of the year Napheesa Collier says hello.

Aubrey's potential on the defensive end is unlimited. I think she could be a peak Kawhi Leonard , NDPOY level dominator.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
So a couple things to think about. I don't know what the TN WBB record is for turnovers, but Horston already has 84, and is averaging about 4.5 per game. There is something else that we know is extremely important to Geno when he evaluates recruits and that is attitude and all that entails: work ethic, teamwork, etc. By all indications, Aubrey works very hard (We don't teach effort at UConn) and she appears to be a wonderful young lady and teammate. For all I know, Horston may be similar in the way she approaches practice, her teammates and so on.

But the question I have is, all things being equal, who will become the better college and professional player? Of course that is an unknowable question, because all things are not equal. Aubrey is playing for the best coaching staff in WBB when it comes to player development. I suspect KJH is a big improvement over HW when it comes to player development, but I'm sure she has a ways to go to match Geno.

I was one of those fans that was disappointed that Horston (and Aaliyah Boston) chose not to come to Storrs. We’ve lost out on several high profile recruits recently. I believe that things happen for a reason. Sometimes the things we want are not necessarily good for us, or be in our best interest to have in the long run.

It appears UConn has bottomed out, and is now on an up swing in recruiting.

I’m going on record right now stating unequivocally that I am a huge Aubrey Griffin fan and supporter. I’m elated to have Aubrey on our team. Until she learns the system and becomes fully functional, there are still things she can do to help the team win as she did Thursday.

Remember what Geno said about her recently: “this is the worse you’ll ever see her play while she’s here.” She’s a playmaker. She was in the game less than a minute when she stole a pass and scored.

Instant energy. The rest of the players on the floor fed off of that play. Geno wants to get her ready for tournament play. He’s got about 5 weeks to do so. I expect to see her play at least 20-25 minutes a game the rest of the season. You can’t grow and develop on the bench. She’ll get help from everyone, coaches and teammates.

Who knows, the light may come on for her by the end of the season. Let’s hope so. In the meantime, she sure is fun to watch.

Last edited:

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
The poll question is worded in such a way that a vote for Horston feels like a vote against Aubrey who has already entered our hearts.

Yup I won't cast this vote. Aubrey is a Husky and Jordan is a Vol. The vote was cast as they were signing their NLIs. In their first appearance on the same Div I court, Aubrey was terrific and Jordan was kind of a hype-train wreck. Of course this one data point says very little about their relative futures in the game.

Reaction Score
I do believe there were only two players listed in my poll. :confused:

On a side note, while Stanford is pretty tight lipped on the situation, the word out west is that Jones may be out for the season, potentially joining Dodson and Carrington on the disabled list. The Cardinal are also dealing with injuries to Belibi & Fingall. Stanford seems to have displaced ND as the most snake bitten program in WBB when it comes to player injuries.

Has the NCAA ruled yet on whether Jessica Shepard still has any eligibility left?

Reaction Score
In the first half Tennessee played on adrenaline. In the second half the Huskies showed as much intensity as any of Geno's previous teams. Lots of skinned elbows and knees. I think Geno smiles every time he opens a new box of band aids.

Reaction Score
Griffin clearly outplayed Horston yesterday, but Horston has been the more impactful freshman thus far and has more upside down the road. It's apples and oranges though.

Horston's been put in a role she doesnt appear to be ready for, and she likely wouldn't be in this spot if Green didnt tear her ACL or if Evina didnt transfer. She'll have better numbers on the year than Griffin and her game likely translates better at the next level being an athletic 6-2 guard, but I'm not sure carrying such a heavy load as a freshman is a good thing for her. Horston has been a turnover machine thus far but has the tools and skillset to be a great player once the game slows down for her. Might take until her sophomore year before that happens.

I do think Griffin is going to develop into a very good player for Geno. She reminds me a lot of Gabby Williams with her high energy, athleticism and ability to rebound. Gabby may be a generous comparison but I think Griffin may fill a similar role over her career as an impact support player for the Huskies. Someone who isnt going to score 15+ppg but will make the hustle plays, play stellar d, hit shots when she takes them and do the little things that dont always get recognition. She'll probably miss out on hardware in favor of Williams/Bueckers but she could fill the glue player role extremely well. She's had some really great performances so far and some where she looks lost out there, which is typical for freshmen. Yesterday was a great one. I think she'll continue to take Irwin's minutes and have more up and down success throughout the year but the goal will be to get her ready for post season where I think her impact can potentially make or break the Huskies.
Looking at Aubrey as a HS player, the REAL potential was there...and she is now beginning to get her feet wet and playing her game...She has the speed, the quick eyes, hands, a good understanding of the game. a variety of shots especially the foul line fall away jumper, and with her elevation the ball looks to be on a downward path to the basket..We have yet to see this. Geno has yet to give her the Green light...But will in time for the "Dance"
Impressive was on rebounding: Aubrey hands were above the 6'5" opposition...
I predict that when she graduates she will be in the UConn top 10 player list....

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Looking at Aubrey as a HS player, the REAL potential was there...and she is now beginning to get her feet wet and playing her game...She has the speed, the quick eyes, hands, a good understanding of the game. a variety of shots especially the foul line fall away jumper, and with her elevation the ball looks to be on a downward path to the basket..We have yet to see this. Geno has yet to give her the Green light...But will in time for the "Dance"
Impressive was on rebounding: Aubrey hands were above the 6'5" opposition...
I predict that when she graduates she will be in the UConn top 10 player list....
From your mouth....

Reaction Score
Good point. But based on expectations prior to the season, isn’t it surprising that there is even a legitimate question as to who might be the better player?
Good and valid point. When surrounded by strong talent (i.e. international play), Horston has done very well. Griffin has had two exceptional games - most other games not a factor. Two different players on two very different teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom