• Aubrey Griffin

Votes: 86 83.5%
  • Jordan Horston

Votes: 19 18.4%

• Total voters

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
About a year and a half ago we were all disappointed to learn that Jordan Horston, the #2 HS player in the country, arguably the star of the USA Under 19 World Championship team, was headed to TN. While we were happy to have #21 Aubrey Griffin, it felt a little like a consolation prize. Both players are long and athletic with Horston at 6'2" and Aubrey 1 inch shorter.

Last night they met for the first time in a college game. Horston's stat line = 32 minutes, 4 pts on 2/10 shooting, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal, 6 turnovers. Aubrey's stat line = 23 minutes, 13 pts on 5/8 shooting & 3/4 FT, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 block, 5 steals & 1 turnover. (Each player's stats are highlighted in BOLD where they exceeded the other player respectively,)

So it begs a simple question. Notwithstanding Geno & CD's incomparable ability to develop players, which player would you rather have on your team?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
If you have been following my conversation with Big Mick on the other thread, you will know that my view of this is that if Horston had come to UConn and Aubrey had gone to Rocky Top (not that she was ever going to do that), we might have seen Horston having Aubrey's stats last night and Aubrey having Jordan's.

I think that if Jordan Horston had come to Storrs, she would not have gotten more minutes than Aubrey has gotten, and possibly fewer. She would not play big minutes until she had some grasp of the system and what the team as a whole was trying to do. She would have made some highlight reel plays, and the Big Micks of the world would say she should be playing 30 minutes in every game, but she wouldn't be. Then, at some point, when she really knew enough so that it was reasonably likely that the good stuff would outweigh the bad, she would have a breakout game -- maybe against Tennessee.

I hate to think what would have happened if Aubrey had gone to TN, but I don't think she would have been very helpful against UConn last night.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I have much respect for steemed colleague @oldude and while Aubrey clearly outplayed Jordan last night, it was AG's best game by far as she was pressed into action by necessity due to Liv's 2 fouls. We need Aubrey to continue to play at this higher level each and every game going forward to truly compare the two. Horston has not had a great year by any stretch but she is a starter as freshman who is 3rd on her team in minutes, 3rd in scoring, 2nd in rebounding and is a player teams must scheme against. As KJH noted, teams do not scheme against Aubrey (yet). We all have seen AG's athleticism and defensive chops on display and she should be given more opportunities to evolve over these next 5 weeks leading into the AAC Tournament and NCAAT.
At the moment, Horston is still the more consistent player.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So a couple things to think about. I don't know what the TN WBB record is for turnovers, but Horston already has 84, and is averaging about 4.5 per game. There is something else that we know is extremely important to Geno when he evaluates recruits and that is attitude and all that entails: work ethic, teamwork, etc. By all indications, Aubrey works very hard (We don't teach effort at UConn) and she appears to be a wonderful young lady and teammate. For all I know, Horston may be similar in the way she approaches practice, her teammates and so on.

But the question I have is, all things being equal, who will become the better college and professional player? Of course that is an unknowable question, because all things are not equal. Aubrey is playing for the best coaching staff in WBB when it comes to player development. I suspect KJH is a big improvement over HW when it comes to player development, but I'm sure she has a ways to go to match Geno.

Reaction Score
About a year and a half ago we were all disappointed to learn that Jordan Horston, the #2 HS player in the country, arguably the star of the USA Under 19 World Championship team, was headed to TN. While we were happy to have #21 Aubrey Griffin, it felt a little like a consolation prize. Both players are long and athletic with Horston at 6'2" and Aubrey 1 inch shorter.

Last night they met for the first time in a college game. Horston's stat line = 32 minutes, 4 pts on 2/10 shooting, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal, 6 turnovers. Aubrey's stat line = 23 minutes, 13 pts on 5/8 shooting & 3/4 FT, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 block, 5 steals & 1 turnover. (Each player's stats are highlighted in BOLD where they exceeded the other player respectively,)

So it begs a simple question. Notwithstanding Geno & CD's incomparable ability to develop players, which player would you rather have on your team?
Azzi Fudd ;)

Reaction Score
Aubrey was clearly Vinnie (the microwave) Johnson last night.It was a whole nuther' game once she made her presence felt.The voles must have thought both her and her twin sister were in the game the way she was introducing herself to the Tenn.bigs underneath and a second later she would be stealin' stuff out on the perimeter. Great moments for the memory bank,albeit just a small neighborhood bank in my case.:)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One BY poster made an astute comment by stating that, “Aubrey reminds me of no one.” She is a force of nature, with the ability to do some things on a basketball court that would be a stretch even for the Gabulous one. Aubrey made play after play last night that just had me shaking my head in disbelief.

With Liv on the bench, UConn put Megan on 6’5” Tamara Key. For the most part, Megan did a great job battling the much taller Key. But there was one play when Key got good position in the low blocks on Megan, received a nice entry pass and turned for what should have been an easy layup. Aubrey left her man, shot across the lane and skied to block Key’s shot. Just amazing!!!

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Griffin clearly outplayed Horston yesterday, but Horston has been the more impactful freshman thus far and has more upside down the road. It's apples and oranges though.

Horston's been put in a role she doesnt appear to be ready for, and she likely wouldn't be in this spot if Green didnt tear her ACL or if Evina didnt transfer. She'll have better numbers on the year than Griffin and her game likely translates better at the next level being an athletic 6-2 guard, but I'm not sure carrying such a heavy load as a freshman is a good thing for her. Horston has been a turnover machine thus far but has the tools and skillset to be a great player once the game slows down for her. Might take until her sophomore year before that happens.

I do think Griffin is going to develop into a very good player for Geno. She reminds me a lot of Gabby Williams with her high energy, athleticism and ability to rebound. Gabby may be a generous comparison but I think Griffin may fill a similar role over her career as an impact support player for the Huskies. Someone who isnt going to score 15+ppg but will make the hustle plays, play stellar d, hit shots when she takes them and do the little things that dont always get recognition. She'll probably miss out on hardware in favor of Williams/Bueckers but she could fill the glue player role extremely well. She's had some really great performances so far and some where she looks lost out there, which is typical for freshmen. Yesterday was a great one. I think she'll continue to take Irwin's minutes and have more up and down success throughout the year but the goal will be to get her ready for post season where I think her impact can potentially make or break the Huskies.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Aubrey was clearly Vinnie (the microwave) Johnson last night.It was a whole nuther' game once she made her presence felt.The voles must have thought both her and her twin sister were in the game the way she was introducing herself to the Tenn.bigs underneath and a second later she would be stealin' stuff out on the perimeter. Great moments for the memory bank,albeit just a small neighborhood bank in my case.:)
I am not sure if you meant to pun, but "voles" are small hamster like rodents. That reference is cruel, even for an avowed enemy of UConn such as Tennessee. I for one am proud of you! ;)

bballnut90

Reaction Score
So a couple things to think about. I don't know what the TN WBB record is for turnovers, but Horston already has 84, and is averaging about 4.5 per game. There is something else that we know is extremely important to Geno when he evaluates recruits and that is attitude and all that entails: work ethic, teamwork, etc. By all indications, Aubrey works very hard (We don't teach effort at UConn) and she appears to be a wonderful young lady and teammate. For all I know, Horston may be similar in the way she approaches practice, her teammates and so on.

But the question I have is, all things being equal, who will become the better college and professional player? Of course that is an unknowable question, because all things are not equal. Aubrey is playing for the best coaching staff in WBB when it comes to player development. I suspect KJH is a big improvement over HW when it comes to player development, but I'm sure she has a ways to go to match Geno.

Collegiately, time will tell. Horston is a really unique player with her size, passing vision and ability to score in a variety of ways. Decision making is pretty bad right now though, doesnt always flow within the framework of the offense. Griffin has the makings of being a really good undersized 4 for the Huskies. Great leaper, nose for the ball and good finisher around the rim. Tremendous athleticism and capable of guarding taller defenders. Hasnt show much range on her shot. Her prototype can be extremely effective at the collegiate level.

Looking at the W, I think Horston is clearly the stronger prospect unless Griffin develops into more of a wing and picks up a stronger perimeter game. Undersized forwards usually dont make big impacts in the league unless you're Maya Moore or Sheryl Swoopes. Horston has all of the tools to be a really special player with her size, ball handling, passing and ability to score. She's got a long way to go but if she works hard and her decision making improves she could become a really good pro.

Reaction Score
Aubrey reminds me of a young Dennis Rodman. Can defend nearly any position well with elite athleticism. And is just an amazing rebounder for her size as Rodman was. Great defense at nearly any position and a tenacious rebounder - especially on offense - that was Rodman. That is Aubrey. Next year what a press we would be able to initiate. Giddy at the thought.

As of right now - I wish how I could see how her and ONO can play together but because neither is that much "skill proficient" they don't seem to mesh that well. - YET. :)

Reaction Score
After seeing last night's game I'd give Horston a pass on her turnovers. When a player passes to a team mate and the fall deflects off her hands or she misses it entirely the TO is awarded to the passer. Tenn has a number of players who just have bad hands.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not sure I want to make this decision based on one game early in their career.
Good point. But based on expectations prior to the season, isn’t it surprising that there is even a legitimate question as to who might be the better player?

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Horston looks like a very good player who needs more discipline to be great. Someone above said she's in a role she isn't ready for. Agree. She going to be a special player assuming the kind of coaching that holds her accountable and challenges her to be great. Geno wanted her for a reason.

Whether she ultimately becomes a starter or not, my crystal ball says Aubrey will be an impactful role player rather than a star. Kalana Greene and Kelly Faris come to mind. Terrific players, but not the big stars of their respective teams.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
:D Haley Jones.
I want the player at UCONN that wants to be at UCONN and that is definitively Aubrey Griffin. However not very long ago in a 7 game international tournament in 2018 at U17 Horston out assisted Paige had one less rebound than Boston and was named tournament MVP in a tournament that included Azzi Fudd. If we want to go back in time beyond last night let's go back all the way to 2018 and assume that both players wanted to attend UCONN and only 1 could. I would pick Horston over Aubrey knowing that Horston would have been a far better player than the one we saw last night.

Last edited:

bballnut90

Reaction Score
After seeing last night's game I'd give Horston a pass on her turnovers. When a player passes to a team mate and the fall deflects off her hands or she misses it entirely the TO is awarded to the passer. Tenn has a number of players who just have bad hands.

Last night the posts were awful about corralling the ball. Horston regularly overpasses though and passes to teammates who arent ready to receive the ball. Still has a long way to go in regards to understanding timing with teammates. The plus side is she doesnt play selfish basketball but she doesnt grasp what's a good pass and what isnt. Westbrook also really struggled in this area as a freshman and improved as a soph. Guessing we'll see that from Horston.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
:D Haley Jones.
I do believe there were only two players listed in my poll. :confused:

On a side note, while Stanford is pretty tight lipped on the situation, the word out west is that Jones may be out for the season, potentially joining Dodson and Carrington on the disabled list. The Cardinal are also dealing with injuries to Belibi & Fingall. Stanford seems to have displaced ND as the most snake bitten program in WBB when it comes to player injuries.

Reaction Score
Last night the posts were awful about corralling the ball. Horston regularly overpasses though and passes to teammates who arent ready to receive the ball. Still has a long way to go in regards to understanding timing with teammates. The plus side is she doesnt play selfish basketball but she doesnt grasp what's a good pass and what isnt. Westbrook also really struggled in this area as a freshman and improved as a soph. Guessing we'll see that from Horston.

What I saw last night were some Vols. who are never ready to receive the ball. Being open in the low post is useless when the ball bounces off your hands. There also seemed to be a lot of passes where the passer miss-read what their target was about to do, ending up with a lot of passes to no one.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Quick question. How much of that ( high turnover numbers) is a function of the lack of caliber teammates to catch some of those passes? Horston led the U17 team in assist but she was throwing the ball to Belebi and Boston.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom