Aubrey Griffin: Target | The Boneyard

Aubrey Griffin: Target

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"In the stands watching it all unfold was Griffin’s future coach, Geno Auriemma.

He was interested in recruiting Griffin to UConn when she was a freshman despite her only playing two seasons of basketball her entire life."

“You know, she’s… one of these kids who by the time she’s finished playing she’s going to be 100 times better than she is right now and she’s pretty good as it is because she’s long and athletic and loves to guard people and gets to the rim all the time,” Auriemma said. “And it’s kind of like a relentless kind of player. She reminds me of Christyn Williams, but she’s not as good offensively as Christyn. Not yet. But she’s longer — she’s 6-foot-1 — and she’s exactly what we need. We need somebody like that, and she’s going to be terrific for us. She’s the nicest kid in the world, too.”

Her HS Coach: “What she did at USA basketball by walking on and making it to the final 18 proved what kind of a player she is,” Ricci said. “And [Auriemma] said to me the other day that she’s going to surprise a lot of people. I agree with him. The athletic ability that she has is going to translate into college really well just because you can’t teach that kind of athleticism."

“She just knows that he’s the coach that gets kids to the next level and that’s what she wants,” Ricci said. “She wants to play professionally, she wants to play for USA and she knows that he’s got the track record to get that kid there.”

Through injuries and inexperience, UConn recruit Aubrey Griffin has long been a Geno Auriemma target

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Hopefully, the 3rd time’s a charm, at least when it comes to Ossining WBB players. Saniya eventually became a solid player as a senior and, unfortunately, AEH didn’t pan out for UConn. Aubrey’s upside is tremendous. I would not be surprised if she leapfrogs more experienced players to become a starter at some point next season as a freshman.

Reaction Score
Hopefully, the 3rd time’s a charm, at least when it comes to Ossining WBB players. Saniya eventually became a solid player as a senior and, unfortunately, AEH didn’t pan out for UConn. Aubrey’s upside is tremendous. I would not be surprised if she leapfrogs more experienced players to become a starter at some point next season as a freshman.

don't worry, they'll be plenty of court time available for her next season whether she starts or not............

Reaction Score

She may not start from Day 1, but I can definitely see a her starting mid season.

1 Dangerfield
2 Williams
3 Griffin
4 Walker
5 Nelson-Ododa

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I saw Aubrey last weekend when she put up 42 points in a losing effort. She was the second best player I saw, behind only Azzi Fudd. Aubrey has good size, speed, and athleticism. She gets to the basket easily, and has nice form on her shot. I think she shot about 7-8 on FTs. She needs to play hard a little more consistently and improve her defense, as is true of all players coming to UConn. She had a 3-minute stretch when she took over the game with a steal, a block, and several baskets from inside and out.

A friend asked me for a player comparison. I'm still working on that, but, for now, I would compare her to a young Angel McCoughtry, though maybe not quite that uber-athletic. She reminds me of Haley Jones, though not quite as versatile or not the same level of defender. On the offensive end, they seem similar. I'd say she's comparable to or better than Natalija Marshall, Malu Tschinge-Mutombo, and Ashley Owusu (all of whom were in the same tourney).

Reaction Score

If Griffin is athletic AND is good on defense AND willing to learn-I'll take that. That (if it works out) is what I've been moaning about for the 7 8 9th off the bench. When that kind of kid goes in the game changes for Uconn.
AEH, can play basketball and can shoot the 3--we'll see how well at Ms St not Uconn.
Saniya wasn't ever expected to replace, Maya, Dt or even Rene. When the chips were down she gave Uconn what they needed and Uconn's only option. So, if Griffin is as good as AEH and/or Saniya Uconn next season shall be in better shape than I thought.

Geno has had more than his share of limping incoming recruits more often they never become what was offered. Geno is compassionate. Compassionate is good if you have a bench of 8 deep that can mix and match. In recent times the 8th, 9th options haven't offered enough to win.

Reaction Score
Will she be allowed to wear #44? I thought I heard of a rule that guards couldn’t wear big numbers, Ann Strother #43 is the biggest number I’ve seen a guard wear at Uconn.

Reaction Score
I saw Aubrey last weekend when she put up 42 points in a losing effort. She was the second best player I saw, behind only Azzi Fudd. Aubrey has good size, speed, and athleticism. She gets to the basket easily, and has nice form on her shot. I think she shot about 7-8 on FTs. She needs to play hard a little more consistently and improve her defense, as is true of all players coming to UConn. She had a 3-minute stretch when she took over the game with a steal, a block, and several baskets from inside and out.

A friend asked me for a player comparison. I'm still working on that, but, for now, I would compare her to a young Angel McCoughtry, though maybe not quite that uber-athletic. She reminds me of Haley Jones, though not quite as versatile or not the same level of defender. On the offensive end, they seem similar. I'd say she's comparable to or better than Natalija Marshall, Malu Tschinge-Mutombo, and Ashley Owusu (all of whom were in the same tourney).

If Aubrey is all that is written and as you say: Will she be an 8th off the bench next season? I trust your analysis. The question is : What was the competition?
Thanks.
Aubrey sounds like a CW type clone. The YOUNG Angel I remember was good on D and maybe good sometimes bad some times great on offense. A "volume" shooter. With a very bad disposition (that was coraled by Walz) in her senior year. That last bit Geno and us fans don't need to read about.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One advantage for a good athlete in learning a sport later in her life is that with good coaching they learn how do everything the right way, the first time. Between Aubrey’s dad, her coach and a lot of practice, she’s developed a textbook jump shot. Aubrey’s athleticism allows her to elevate well and her release and follow through is a thing of beauty.

Dare I say, Aubrey’s jumper reminds me of DD, presumably without the associated drama. With UConn’s greater emphasis on players putting the ball on the floor to get their own shot, Aubrey will fit right in.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I thought about Diamond, but Aubrey is about 1” shorter and not as athletic. But Diamond may be the most athletic player in the W, so that is not criticism. Envision a slightly smaller and slightly slower version of Diamond, with a better shot. As with Diamond, Aubrey has at least one parent who was a professional athlete. Good genes!!

Where do I see Aubrey on the depth chart next year? One can never be sure, especially this early. Kyla, Mikayla, and even Molly have shown some improvement. Batouly hopefully will be healthy—and back. Absent any foreign help, I see Olivia taking Pheesa’s spot and Aubrey having the unenviable task of replacing Lou. She is a killer in the press and transition.

Reaction Score
I thought about Diamond, but Aubrey is about 1” shorter and not as athletic. But Diamond may be the most athletic player in the W, so that is not criticism. Envision a slightly smaller and slightly slower version of Diamond, with a better shot. As with Diamond, Aubrey has at least one parent who was a professional athlete. Good genes!!

Where do I see Aubrey on the depth chart next year? One can never be sure, especially this early. Kyla, Mikayla, and even Molly have shown some improvement. Batouly hopefully will be healthy—and back. Absent any foreign help, I see Olivia taking Pheesa’s spot and Aubrey having the unenviable task of replacing Lou. She is a killer in the press and transition.
Aubrey will be playing January 4th at the Westchester county Civic center in White plains against Christ the King high School. It should be a good game

Reaction Score
She may not start from Day 1, but I can definitely see a her starting mid season.

1 Dangerfield
2 Williams
3 Griffin
4 Walker
5 Nelson-Ododa
I have to agree with this... It's possible that it won't be game 1, but I'd bet come conference play that would be the lineup unless a grad transfer beats her out. Go Huskies!

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Reminder: Aubrey is coming to Springfield College on Friday January 18.....7:30...as Ossining
plays Springfield Central.....they are always good..

In the other game CTK with UConn target [?] Marshall plays a California team...maybe Mater Dei.

Reaction Score
Lourdes has a couple of Breanna Stewart clones, especially #21 (also #14). This was more entertaining than TN-TX--and better played.
Aubrey looked good, easy to spot, in this clip. But, when you watch a clip for one player in particular and your eye keeps going to another, #20, #21 & #14. I saw a lot of fire in those players. A fun thing to do no ?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Hard for me to believe anyone is a Breanna Stewart clone!
That's what some people thought about Della Donne and then Stewart came along soon after.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Will she be allowed to wear #44? I thought I heard of a rule that guards couldn’t wear big numbers, Ann Strother #43 is the biggest number I’ve seen a guard wear at Uconn.
As far as I know, there's no rule about guards vs post players regarding the numbers. The only limitation I know of is that no digits used can be over 5 because the refs indicate the player numbers by using their fingers. The ref in the picture below is indicating player #22.

pixel.gif
Hobson,%20Tony_0107.JPG

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
As far as I know, there's no rule about guards vs post players regarding the numbers. The only limitation I know of is that no digits used can be over 5 because the refs indicate the player numbers by using their fingers. The ref in the picture below is indicating player #22.

pixel.gif
Hobson,%20Tony_0107.JPG

If they used the same system as "Deadliest Catch" deck hands do - fingers up - 1 - 5, fingers pointing down 6-10.

You could have number up 1010!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom