Aubrey Griffin Making an Early Impression | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Aubrey Griffin Making an Early Impression

Reaction Score
Jingo, I know you’ve been promoting that idea for some time. While, I would love to see Aubrey explode onto the scene this season, just like Christyn last season, I think it will take her some time to learn to play at the college level. Personally, I would be ecstatic if Aubrey could establish herself as a member of the regular rotation by the back end of the season.
Mebbe i have been promoting AG, sorry .. but i m just calling it as I see after many year's of coaching and watching girls' & women's hoops .. i think Evelyn A is going to surprise as well .. i m really looking forward to this season with all the X factors - FUN!

Reaction Score
I'd be really happy if she can come in as a freshman sometime in the 3rd, let a starter sit, and hold or extend the lead. I think over the last couple years the stsrters have racked up too many minutes because the bench has been unreliable.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Ha this made me chuckle because I have never in my life seen a player lose her balance and fall down while driving more frequently than Tiffany Hayes did while at UConn. Holy mackerel with the out-of-control drives.

She's finally learned how to stay vertical in the W , though !!!!!!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
DD was an academic junior when she first played for Tenn. Try and find a complete UNC game from her freshman year and you'll see a totally self-absorbed player, obvious talented and athletic but lacking in "team skills". She was a gunner who shot a mediocre 30% from 3 during her college career and the only shot she hit with any regularity was her mid range shot, which was excellent. She left college with basically the same game she came with. She has done well in the W and I have to wonder if she ever really took college ball seriously.
  1. Dec 2014 UNC beat South Carolina in Myrtle Beach
  2. Feb 2014 Freshman DD took her squad to Duke and beat #3 Duke DD had 30 points.
  3. A Month later Duke came into Chapel Hill and also left with a L.
  4. DD team beat Alyssa Thomas Maryland team March 2014 in ACC tournament.
  5. DD UNC team beat #1 seed South Carolina in Stanford March of 2014 in the NCAA tournament her Second victory over South Carolina that season.
What was remarkable about this run of games was that DD was playing with a severely injured hand.
Yes she was a gunner and a volume shooter but she was not nearly as unaccomplished as you are making her out to be, otherwise she would not have been named NFOY. If Aubrey's game can match Freshman DD, Geno will take care of the rest and Aubrey will be an AA.

Last edited:

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
As I said before, Aubrey is a natural scorer from every part of the court, inside and outside, and I believe she will lead the Huskies in scoring. She can score in so many ways and the numbers will add up, eh? I have seen her in action, up close.

i like the confidence !!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I remember DD's freshman year as a lot of shots for not so many points and a lot of standing around without the ball, zero defense and an attitude that screamed entitlement. And it continued at Tenn. Talented? Athletic? To an extreme. Much netter suited to the pro game. I never wanted her on my team when she was in college. A poor choice as a comparison to Griffin, who Geno says "goes and goes".
Physically they are similar. Not in terms of attitude.

Reaction Score
  1. Dec 2014 UNC beat South Carolina in Myrtle Beach
  2. Feb 2014 Freshman DD took her squad to Duke and beat #3 Duke DD had 30 points.
  3. A Month later Duke came into Chapel Hill and also left with a L.
  4. DD team beat Alyssa Thomas Maryland team March 2014 in ACC tournament.
  5. DD UNC team beat #1 seed South Carolina in Stanford March of 2014 in the NCAA tournament her Second victory over South Carolina that season.
What was remarkable about this run of games was that DD was playing with a severely injured hand.
Yes she was a gunner and a volume shooter but she was not nearly as unaccomplished as you are making her out to be, otherwise she would not have been named NFOY. If Aubrey's game can match Freshman DD, Geno will take care of the rest and Aubrey will be an AA.

Yes, I remember now. DD was a different player in the NCAA's, looking for team mates, rebounding, playing defense. Even I at the time admitted that she was playing great. But this was after a season of what I thought was selfish and immature ball. No one, especially freshmen shouldn't be arguing with an official while the play goes the other way. And again, that is the main reason I don't want Griffin to emulate her. Nothing to do with talent.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Right now .. this year,,,

giphy.gif

Reaction Score
As I said before, Aubrey is a natural scorer from every part of the court, inside and outside, and I believe she will lead the Huskies in scoring. She can score in so many ways and the numbers will add up, eh? I have seen her in action, up close.

That's not happening!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
This coming year or some vague time in the future?
Yea Jingo has brought this up before. (He's not willing to back it up though.) As I've replied to him before, IF Griffin is leading UCONN in scoring, that's gonna be a very, very bad thing. At the very, very best Griffin is going to be the 5th scoring option. That would mean Westbrook didn't get her waiver and Makurat is struggling. And if our 5th option is leading the scoring, that means options 1-4 (Williams, Walker, ONO, Dangerfield) are either having very bad years or are injured.

So, hopefully, it will not happen.

Reaction Score
Yea Jingo has brought this up before. (He's not willing to back it up though.) As I've replied to him before, IF Griffin is leading UCONN in scoring, that's gonna be a very, very bad thing. At the very, very best Griffin is going to be the 5th scoring option. That would mean Westbrook didn't get her waiver and Makurat is struggling. And if our 5th option is leading the scoring, that means options 1-4 (Williams, Walker, ONO, Dangerfield) are either having very bad years or are injured.

...and not to mention from which player(s) will Griffin's minutes come from to be the "high scorer" on this team?

All I know that white Cockatoo on his shoulder is not talking. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Collier's best season was arguably her sophomore season. It did not take her long to get going once she was out of Tuck's shadow. She was always going to be great no matter what school she went to or what coach she played for.
I'm pleased you said "arguably". Could she have ever topped the final season as a Soph, hell no. What may be arguable is: Comparing Walker to Phee at the same year equal or better??? Since numbers dont tell the real story my opinion is and was Phee was not Phee as a senior as a soph or she'd have started every game. KLS got a lot of minutes as a frosh and soph. I only use STATs when I want to lie.

Reaction Score
Jingo, I know you’ve been promoting that idea for some time. While, I would love to see Aubrey explode onto the scene this season, just like Christyn last season, I think it will take her some time to learn to play at the college level. Personally, I would be ecstatic if Aubrey could establish herself as a member of the regular rotation by the back end of the season.
As another of my 10, I defer to your words on Aubrey. @HuskyNan, often states: Starting for Geno is not a Freshman thing--or words that mean the same. While often true, it not a given and certainly not something Griffin or Ania can count on--but--should all the words written on them be true and I hope they are--we could see some wonderous things . The factor that separates CW and Aubrey (so far) is Confidence. Ego, drive, desire. Ego without talent shows quickly (before now)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
With due respect to one of my 10! I use Spud, Tater, Mickey , spouse uses POE Taa Toe
I prefer mine with butter Mashed or baked please.

Reaction Score
I prefer mine with butter Mashed or baked please.
Probably the Irish tiny bit of blood--I like Pa-tot too's --almost any way but preferably baked with the works.

Reaction Score

Hard to follow your logic. How does AG scoring well mean that Westbrook didn't get her waiver or that AM is struggling? Don't follow. Also like to know what options 1-5 are? Do you have some secret inside info? If so, the rest of us would like to know. Again, IMO, AG's rebounding, superior skills, and athleticism will result in her being a prolific scorer. She's a rare talent, eh?

Reaction Score
...and not to mention from which player(s) will Griffin's minutes come from to be the "high scorer" on this team?

All I know that white Cockatoo on his shoulder is not talking. :rolleyes:
The wise white Cockatoo - Elsie[age 22] - has spoken: she sez that on this year's team, scoring will be dictated by rebounding and inside play. High scorers will be 1) AG 2) EA and 3) ONO

Reaction Score
The wise white Cockatoo - Elsie[age 22] - has spoken: she sez that on this year's team, scoring will be dictated by rebounding and inside play. High scorers will be 1) AG 2) EA and 3) ONO

Sir are you feeling alright? Should we call for help?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Hard to follow your logic.
Not really. Laid it out pretty straight forward for you. If you are not grasping it, I don't know if I can help you.

How does AG scoring well mean that Westbrook didn't get her waiver or that AM is struggling? Don't follow.
If Westbrook has her waiver, she will be at least the 5th if not higher scoring option. Pushing Griffin further down the pecking order. If Griffin is the leading scorer, then Westbrook didn't get the waiver. Similar for Makurat.

Also like to know what options 1-5 are?
Well if you read my post I listed 1-4. (Williams, Walker, ONO, Dangerfield) . 5th will be Westbrook/Makurat/Griffin/Adebayo. And if Westbrook gets the waiver, she'll probably be 3/4 option. Being the 5th/6th/7th option is not gonna get Griffin enough shots to be leading scorer this year. If she does become the 1st/2nd option and can get enough shots to be leading scorer, then something went terribly wrong. That would mean our 1-4 options are not being used (injury/horrible shooting slump/academic problems/broke team rules/etc.)

IF Griffin is our leading scorer, UCONN is in a world of hurt.

Again, IMO, AG's rebounding, superior skills, and athleticism will result in her being a prolific scorer. She's a rare talent, eh?
She may become a prolific scorer, in the future. But she won't (hopefully) be leading scorer this year. Which was your conjecture.

Rare talent?? Eh, seems to be a rare athlete. As of yet, I don't think she's shown any rare basketball talent. (Maybe "raw" talent, as Geno said neither they or she knows how good she could/might be...down the road.) Moore and KML have been the only FR that have led the team in scoring (least since the 90's). I don't think she's shown those levels of talent, as yet. They came in a #1 HS players in the nation. Griffin's not even a consensus top 10. She wasn't even our top recruiting target. Hopefully she turns out really good. But there's nothing to suggest she'll come in and be the leading scorer as a FR. Nothing.

And again, if you truly believe that she will, I'd be more than happy to collect $100 from you at the end of the year, when she isn't the leading scorer.

Reaction Score
I'm just stirring the pot for fun but there is a pathway for Aubrey to be leading scorer. If the starters get after it, play good swarming defense, and get a hefty lead by half time each game then Aubrey could come in after half time and light it up as the first option and rack up some points in the AAC.

Reaction Score
Not really. Laid it out pretty straight forward for you. If you are not grasping it, I don't know if I can help you.

If Westbrook has her waiver, she will be at least the 5th if not higher scoring option. Pushing Griffin further down the pecking order. If Griffin is the leading scorer, then Westbrook didn't get the waiver. Similar for Makurat.

Well if you read my post I listed 1-4. (Williams, Walker, ONO, Dangerfield) . 5th will be Westbrook/Makurat/Griffin/Adebayo. And if Westbrook gets the waiver, she'll probably be 3/4 option. Being the 5th/6th/7th option is not gonna get Griffin enough shots to be leading scorer this year. If she does become the 1st/2nd option and can get enough shots to be leading scorer, then something went terribly wrong. That would mean our 1-4 options are not being used (injury/horrible shooting slump/academic problems/broke team rules/etc.)

IF Griffin is our leading scorer, UCONN is in a world of hurt.

She may become a prolific scorer, in the future. But she won't (hopefully) be leading scorer this year. Which was your conjecture.

Rare talent?? Eh, seems to be a rare athlete. As of yet, I don't think she's shown any rare basketball talent. (Maybe "raw" talent, as Geno said neither they or she knows how good she could/might be...down the road.) Moore and KML have been the only FR that have led the team in scoring (least since the 90's). I don't think she's shown those levels of talent, as yet. They came in a #1 HS players in the nation. Griffin's not even a consensus top 10. She wasn't even our top recruiting target. Hopefully she turns out really good. But there's nothing to suggest she'll come in and be the leading scorer as a FR. Nothing.

And again, if you truly believe that she will, I'd be more than happy to collect $100 from you at the end of the year, when she isn't the leading scorer.

If Westbrook is eligible and healthy, she is as good of a scorer as ANYBODY in the country!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom