Aubrey Griffin Making an Early Impression | The Boneyard

Aubrey Griffin Making an Early Impression

Reaction Score
We got a good one

“She is athletic as s—t. She is a member of her family, let me tell you,” Auriemma said. “That kid goes, and goes, and goes. I don’t know what position she is, she’s a guard, she’s a forward, I don’t know. But that sucker rebounds the ball, she plays defense -- I’ve been really impressed by her. Really impressed.”

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
as important as Geno's reaction, I like her even keeled nature and the fact that she does not seem to have the freshman yips.

Griffin herself was more humble when discussing her beginning weeks with the team. She did note that she didn’t feel lost, as many freshmen do.

“I just try to soak in information and try to understand it as well as I can, and then try to do it.”

and if you are not in love yet, :D

Ultimately, as the summer winds on, Griffin is confident that she knows what it takes to be at Connecticut: “Keep working hard and be a great teammate.”

Reaction Score
very true and maybe that's a good thing for her development....
Aubrey from her former HS teammates knows what it take to be a Husky and to play for Geno. Kids don't want to stand out too early but STANDOUT they must if they have any hopes in starting. Griffin is a leaper, if she a go go go go kid and plays half way decent defense her hopes of starting are good. Her competition is rugged: Westbrook, Ania, Evelyn, a healthy Touly, etc. Geno, like some of us, must see GABBY-ish from Aubrey that's a huge plus for Uconn and us fans.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That article contains links to 4 other articles, on Aubrey, Evelyn, Anna, and Meg. Megatron has lost 10 pounds since last season and is looking lean and mean.

I saw Aubrey at a tourney in Virginia in December. Her team lost, despite her 38 points or so. In terms of ability and potential, the only better player I saw there was some local kid named Azzi. Anyone heard of Azzi? ;)

Aubrey reminds me of Diamond, maybe only slightly less tall and athletic. She is long, glides, and elevates. She fits the UConn system so well.

Reaction Score
[QU
I saw Aubrey at a tourney in Virginia in December. Her team lost, despite her 38 points or so. In terms of ability and potential, the only better player I saw there was some local kid named Azzi. Anyone heard of Azzi? ;)

MIL: Yeh. Her last name is Fudd, I think. Has a brother named Elmer who is a star in his own realm.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
[QU

MIL: Yeh. Her last name is Fudd, I think. Has a brother named Elmer who is a star in his own realm.
Yep, only Azzi's game is no joke! One of the best shooters--EVER. ;)

Reaction Score
As I predicted in March, Aubrey will lead the Huskies in scoring next season .. she just has so many ways to score esp in transition .. at the time, I also mentioned Longwood junior point guard Janelle Brown, a Lorin Dixon clone w/ blazing speed; even Aubrey couldn't contain her, eh?

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Still wonder what kept her from making the U19 team.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
very true and maybe that's a good thing for her development....

Exactly!! No one will try to put any pressure on her this year. Next year however, the expectation quotient goes up. ;)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Geno is one articulate S.O.B. :cool:

After watching Aubrey play 4 times in the State Championships & the Fed Cup, there is no doubt in my mind that she will be very good once she figures out what’s required to succeed at the college level.

You've got a leg up on the rest of us, having seen her in person multiple times. I for one respect your powers of observation, and will take those observations to the bank. The rest of us have only seen bits and pieces of her on video. I join with you and others here that think Griffin is a "can't miss" recruit, who in short order, will begin to begin her assault on some of the career records of those greats who came before her; just like Collier and Samuelson did (3rd & 5th on the women's career scoring list). Moore & Stewart are 1/2, Charles is 4th.

What's good about her situation is that she (unlike Williams) can come in and learn at her own pace. Geno won't need her like he needed Christyn her freshman year. It would not surprise me if Christyn has not already taken Griffin under her wing and will bring her along month by month to where she needs to be come March.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You've got a leg up on the rest of us, having seen her in person multiple times. I for one respect your powers of observation, and will take those observations to the bank. The rest of us have only seen bits and pieces of her on video. I join with you and others here that think Griffin is a "can't miss" recruit, who in short order, will begin to begin her assault on some of the career records of those greats who came before her; just like Collier and Samuelson did (3rd & 5th on the women's career scoring list). Moore & Stewart are 1/2, Charles is 4th.

What's good about her situation is that she (unlike Williams) can come in and learn at her own pace. Geno won't need her like he needed Christyn her freshman year. It would not surprise me if Christyn has not already taken Griffin under her wing and will bring her along month by month to where she needs to be come March.
Griffin has a tremendous upside, but as you indicate, we all need to be patient while she figures things out.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
October update:

But he has no idea what to think about Aubrey Griffin. The Huskies’ sole American freshman is an enigma that even Geno is struggling to figure out.

“If you ask me how good a basketball player is Aubrey, I would tell you I don’t know and she doesn’t know,” he said.

“I don’t think there’s anybody that’s been a better athlete,” he said. “Let’s put it that way. I’m not going to say she’s the best athlete we’ve ever had. But I don’t think there’s a lot — if any — that are way more athletic than her.”

That isn’t going to happen overnight. Auriemma knows that well enough. So he’s given her a small lists of things to focus on take advantage of her athleticism without giving her too much to think about.

“Just to play hard, cut to the basket, offensive rebound and play defense,” Griffin said when asked what Auriemma’s asked of her so far.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom