Aubrey Griffin article | The Boneyard

Aubrey Griffin article

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Some great quotes in the article. I think every Husky fan with a pulse is rooting for Aubrey as hard as they can. Ankle, back, and leg injuries? Yikes. But...

If you’d asked me five months ago, ‘Do you see Aubrey playing?’, I would say I don’t know. Well, if we played tomorrow, she’d definitely play,” Auriemma said in September. “How many minutes? How effective? (I don’t know) but least I have confidence that we can put her on the floor and she’ll be able to contribute.”

Right now, she’s 100 percent healthy physically and hopefully she can remain that way for the rest of the year,” Jamelle Elliott said in September.

Go Aubrey! Husky nation is behind you 100%!!!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Aubs does things that no one else does. She needs a little confidence, especially on the offensive end, but she wreaks havoc on defense.
I'll agree that up to this point, she hasn't displayed a lot of confidence. IMO she would too often defer to upperclassmen on the floor instead of taking what the defense was giving her. Teams knew Kiah Stokes was not an offensive threat, so they would often sag off of her at times leaving her wide open. There were several instances when I saw teams do the same thing to Aubrey. On one occasion, Aubrey got a pass and never looked at the basket. She was wide open at the elbow. There was not a defensive player between her and the basket. She passed the ball. She never looked for a shot during that possession. She hadn't learned the system yet, but was out there playing hard and doing the best she could.

“Aubrey’s biggest struggle since she’s been at UConn has never, never been physical. It’s been more trying to understand mentally: ‘What am I good at? Where’s my confidence level at today? Where is it relative to where it needs to be?" UConn head coach Geno Auriemma said. “Some days, that confidence level is extremely high and some days, it’s frustratingly low."

I hope those days are gone forever. Aubrey missed her sophomore season in high school due to an ACL injury. She was a prolific scorer in high school. I'm pretty sure she has not forgotten how to shoot. You know she wants very much to get back in the mix, and help her team win some games. She's a mature 21 year old (born in 2002) now that's been in the program for 3 years, not a young inexperienced 18 year old freshman. Except for the graduate transfers, Aubrey will be one of the oldest and most experienced players on the court at any given time.

I've been a BIG Aubrey fan from day one and continue to be. I'm excited, anticipating seeing her on the court when the season begins.
Only 4 more days to first night!! :) When I read that she was now 100% healthy from her surgery and working out without any restrictions, it put a huge smile on my face.

We've had several glimpses of what she can do. "On Dec. 5, 2019, freshman Griffin had the best game of her young career, scoring 25 points and grabbing 12 rebounds off the bench, leading the undefeated No. 4 ranked Huskies to a high-paced 92-78 victory on the road over Seton Hall. UConn head coach Geno Auriemma applauded the way Griffin played."

"She made a lot of unbelievable plays," Auriemma said. "She's a unique player. She's different than what we've had in a long time. I don't know if we'll get 25 and 12 every night, but this is what we liked in her." Griffin, who came off the bench that night had a previous high of nine points and eight rebounds against Temple on Nov. 17."
Aubrey has grown, matured and evolved. She should be able to have nights that on a more consistent basis as a 21 year old red-shirt junior.

"It’s impossible to know what UConn will get from Griffin until the season begins and even then, she might need time to knock the rust off. But if she can regain her old form — even if the consistency still isn’t there — she’ll provide a big boost for the Huskies."

I suggested the same thing in an earlier post. I said that Griffin and Amari DeBerry were the two biggest question marks on the team because right now, we have no idea how either one of them will perform in a regulation game. That question will be answered in the first 5 games of the season. I'm hoping BOTH OF THEM will be the "talk of the team", and have the media buzzing with written articles about them and seeking personal interviews. Fingers crossed. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
After the Tennessee game, her freshman year at the postgame podium, Auriemma said "we don't win this game without Aubrey," Still can not comprehend how you equate Griffin with DeBerry. Aubrey is a proven talent coming back from an injury. DeBerry is a never was. She should be compared to the incoming freshmen with no playing time at U Conn.

Carnac

Reaction Score
After the Tennessee game, her freshman year at the postgame podium, Auriemma said "we don't win this game without Aubrey," Still can not comprehend how you equate Griffin with DeBerry. Aubrey is a proven talent coming back from an injury. DeBerry is a never was. She should be compared to the incoming freshmen with no playing time at U Conn.
It's very easy to equate them together. Aubrey HAS NOT proven anything yet. She has not played in a game since being cleared to participate in team activities by the medical staff. At this point, all she has done is participated in drills and pickup games. We do not know to what degree her previous level of skills and athleticism has returned, or how much rust she needs to shake off. You can have back surgery (as a non athlete) and never be the same again. Can she sustain the pushing, bumping and body contact that she's going to get in a game? Will she be on a minutes restriction or count? Right now for those reasons, she's a question mark. We'll have to wait and see which Aubrey takes the floor.

Amari spent 99% of the season on the bench last season. Aubrey spent 100% of the season inactive. Practice is one thing, playing in a regulation game against other players your equal in size, strength, talent and experience that you don't know in an arena with thousands of spectators and referees and live TV cameras is something else.

They haven't done any these things yet THIS season. We don't know how Amari is going to perform this season yet. She's been working hard over the summer improving her strength, game and physical conditioning, and vowed to return this year with a different approach and attitude. We haven't seen any of those attributes in a game yet. THAT'S why I say she's a question mark.

Which Amari will we see? A new Amari 2.0, or the old one? We won't know until their first game. I can't see into the future, although some think I can. I'll just have to wait along with everyone else for the season to start and watch both of them perform in an actual game before I know the answers to these questions.

Reaction Score
Upfront if Aubrey is completely back she could keep players like Ice and Ayanna on the bench if they don't fit in quickly. Any one of those three on paper would appear to be a great backup at the 4, with Ice being a candidate at the 5 as well. With plenty of quality depth at the 4, she might wind up being the best candidate B for the wing.

We can sustain an injury upfront and have a quality replacement, but for positions 1-3 we are vulnerable. It is possible with tight substitution patterns to have our main four players handle all but maybe 5 or 6 minutes there. Those minimal minutes right now look like a choice between a true guard (Inez) or a someone like Aubrey or Ayanna that might be more talented but playing a little out of position at the 3.

But that is if everyone is healthy, when any of the main four are out, one from Inez, Aubrey and Ayanna becomes the main backup for three positions getting maybe 15-20 minutes a game, and another getting probably 5 or 6 in a limited role. Of course if it is Inez she would be used at the 1 or 2, and if Aubrey or Ayanna mostly the 3, with the other healthy players moving to cover the other two positions.

So while initially she is in a battle for the most competitive position (4), there is a pretty high likelihood minutes will open up at the wing at some point during the season, making her development on the perimeter more important than if we were very deep there.

Carnac

Reaction Score
It's very easy to equate them together. Aubrey HAS NOT proven anything yet. She has not played in a game since being cleared to participate in team activities by the medical staff. At this point, all she has done is participated in drills and pickup games. We do not know to what degree her previous level of skills and athleticism has returned, or how much rust she needs to shake off. You can have back surgery (as a non athlete) and never be the same again. Can she sustain the pushing, bumping and body contact that she's going to get in a game? Will she be on a minutes restriction or count? Right now for those reasons, she's a question mark. We'll have to wait and see which Aubrey takes the floor.

Amari spent 99% of the season on the bench last season. Aubrey spent 100% of the season inactive. Practice is one thing, playing in a regulation game against other players your equal in size, strength, talent and experience that you don't know in an arena with thousands of spectators and referees and live TV cameras is something else.

They haven't done any these things yet THIS season. We don't know how Amari is going to perform this season yet. She's been working hard over the summer improving her strength, game and physical conditioning, and vowed to return this year with a different approach and attitude. We haven't seen any of those attributes in a game yet. THAT'S why I say she's a question mark.

Which Amari will we see? A new Amari 2.0, or the old one? We won't know until their first game. I can't see into the future, although some think I can. I'll just have to wait along with everyone else for the season to start and watch both of them perform in an actual game before I know the answers to these questions.
One more additional dynamic here in equating Amari and Aubrey. The fact that Amari played 83 minutes over 16 games cannot be discounted. She has scored 9 more points in regulation games than any of the incoming freshmen. And the major difference in Amari and the incoming freshmen is that she attended and participated in EVERY official practice last year from October to April, the same as all of her other teammates.

She also saw all of the games up close from the bench or the floor. Attended all of the team meetings/functions. Listened to each time-out instruction briefing by Geno during games. None of the incoming freshmen have had that pleasure yet. Last difference....Amari is 19 years old. A year older and wiser than the incoming 18 year old freshmen. She's been around the block once already. They haven't. For those reasons she should not be compared to the incoming freshmen.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was at the road game at Seton Hall when Aubrey had that incredible night. It wasn't just her points and boards, it was also her defense that turned that game around. If she is only 85% of what she was two years ago at the beginning of this season, I'll take it because she creates an entirely different dimension to the defense whenever she is out there. I have a feeling we are going to be surprised by her, maybe not right away, but soon. And yes, I totally agree that her contributions were forgotten by many last year. She is our best "floor player", and has been since the day she arrived on campus. Instant chaos.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Last year just before she sat down for the year Geno said she was still trying to find where she belonged on the floor. Some of us talk like she's a returning starter. More often than not her minutes were a product of an injury ridden team. She has had more weaknesses than strengths which explains her minutes. I hope things are different this year, but it's just hope.

Reaction Score
The rhetoric surrounding Aubrey on here is interesting. People tend to forget she’s helped us win in a lot of games. We probably are more competitive in those matchups with South Carolina last season if she’s available. Her athleticism and defense alone is an added benefit to this roster and would’ve IMO pushed us over the hump last season. You guys talk as though she was just getting mop up minutes she was and is a major contribution to our team. It is interesting though because, when you look at her and nika for instance, they offer the same thing, gritty defensive players with limited offensive capabilities but we seem to only talk about Aubrey ineffective ability to score.

Reaction Score
The rhetoric surrounding Aubrey on here is interesting. People tend to forget she’s helped us win in a lot of games. We probably are more competitive in those matchups with South Carolina last season if she’s available. Her athleticism and defense alone is an added benefit to this roster and would’ve IMO pushed us over the hump last season. You guys talk as though she was just getting mop up minutes she was and is a major contribution to our team. It is interesting though because, when you look at her and nika for instance, they offer the same thing, gritty defensive players with limited offensive capabilities but we seem to only talk about Aubrey ineffective ability to score.
Game changing defense (I remember one game in which she made steals on consecutive perimeter plays), drives to the basket, shot blocks on the perimeter, rebounds and put backs. There is nothing incidental about her game. The game is not all about 3 pt shooting, although she can put one down. I hope she stays well.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yea, that's NOT what some of us are saying. Griffin's limited offensive capabilities had to do with how she facilitated the offense. Not necessarily her ability to score. Although her scoring is mostly from layups, putbacks, etc. She hasn't really shown herself to be a great shooter either, yet.

While Mulh's offensive capabilities actually help facilitate the offense. It just runs better when she's in. Yes, she's not a great scorer or shooter either...yet. But brings energy and defense.

Griffin was looking better in the offense before she went out with the back injury. So hopefully, that will continue. She does bring a lot of defense, rebounding and energy to the team. I think everyone would love to have that. We'll have to wait and see how well she looks in the offense this year.

sun

Reaction Score
IIRC Aubrey averaged 16 minutes per game each year that she was active.
I'm sure that any UConn player would be happy to be awarded that amount of PT in any UConn game this year whether it's against a Big East or out of conference opponent.
We'll know Aubrey's status compared to the freshmen when UConn plays the tougher out of conference games.
There's bound to be some bumps in the road regarding PT and disappointments with some game results as the season progresses.
It's better to be disappointed near the beginning then at the end.
Geno will also be on a learning curve regarding how his new players react to the pressure of having a really tough game on the line.
No one can predict if the tough games are going to end up with a win or a loss or who the heroes will be.
All of the UConn players will always do their best because that' comes with the UConn uniform.
If each player puts out 100% in practice and in games then it comes down to Geno making decisions about what he & the team needs to do to win.
Maybe it will end up being better if UConn suffers some losses at the beginning of the season so the team will become smarter, more efficient & try harder.
UConn won't be ranked #1 from the beginning to the end of the season anyway, but being in the top #10 should be good enough to get a decent seeding in the new NCAAT format.
How far UConn goes will be based on an entire team effort and not just on how well any single player performs.
IMO every UConn player is going to need to exceed expectations to win a NC.
A NC is not going to fall into UConn's lap by wishful thinking, they will all need to prove that they deserve it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One more additional dynamic here in equating Amari and Aubrey. The fact that Amari played 83 minutes over 16 games cannot be discounted. She has scored 9 more points in regulation games than any of the incoming freshmen. And the major difference in Amari and the incoming freshmen is that she attended and participated in EVERY official practice last year from October to April, the same as all of her other teammates.

She also saw all of the games up close from the bench or the floor. Attended all of the team meetings/functions. Listened to each time-out instruction briefing by Geno during games. None of the incoming freshmen have had that pleasure yet. Last difference....Amari is 19 years old. A year older and wiser than the incoming 18 year old freshmen. She's been around the block once already. They haven't. For those reasons she should not be compared to the incoming freshmen.
DeBerry and the Freshmen are KNOWN quantities to Geno, us Fans, a lot less.
I have reservations on DeBerry. But the fact that she is here says something that I haven't deciphered.
Does Uconn need a young aggressive lady about 6 ft 5 inches? You bet. But she (that hypothetical lady) must contribute on both ends. Score her share, make defensive stops when needed. A really Great (Hypothetical) shall lead when required. Does anyONE fill that bill? I sincerely hope Ayanna, ICE and DeBerry take turns being my Hypothetical player.

Reaction Score
Aubrey's up side is through the roof.
Who shall be the first to disclaim her when she isn't? I hope she is all you say, injuries are terrible trauma to the Body and mind. Practice is one thing, big time opponents are clearly another. We have basically one month to wait. By November 25 we'll have a better view to use for objectivity.

Reaction Score
IIRC Aubrey averaged 16 minutes per game each year that she was active.
I'm sure that any UConn player would be happy to be awarded that amount of PT in any UConn game this year whether it's against a Big East or out of conference opponent.
We'll know Aubrey's status compared to the freshmen when UConn plays the tougher out of conference games.
There's bound to be some bumps in the road regarding PT and disappointments with some game results as the season progresses.
It's better to be disappointed near the beginning then at the end.
Geno will also be on a learning curve regarding how his new players react to the pressure of having a really tough game on the line.
No one can predict if the tough games are going to end up with a win or a loss or who the heroes will be.
All of the UConn players will always do their best because that' comes with the UConn uniform.
If each player puts out 100% in practice and in games then it comes down to Geno making decisions about what he & the team needs to do to win.
Maybe it will end up being better if UConn suffers some losses at the beginning of the season so the team will become smarter, more efficient & try harder.
UConn won't be ranked #1 from the beginning to the end of the season anyway, but being in the top #10 should be good enough to get a decent seeding in the new NCAAT format.
How far UConn goes will be based on an entire team effort and not just on how well any single player performs.
IMO every UConn player is going to need to exceed expectations to win a NC.
A NC is not going to fall into UConn's lap by wishful thinking, they will all need to prove that they deserve it.
There are so many sentences I could highlight as reasonable or outstanding or understanding.
I particularly like---Geno too is on a learning curve;. I.E with the frosh, the injured, and the mixing and matching, and the returning (what did they lose from April)

Reaction Score
Last year just before she sat down for the year Geno said she was still trying to find where she belonged on the floor. Some of us talk like she's a returning starter. More often than not her minutes were a product of an injury ridden team. She has had more weaknesses than strengths which explains her minutes. I hope things are different this year, but it's just hope.

I don't remember that. I agree that she had gaps in her game at the offensive end. But IMO she played mostly because she was the best defender and best offensive rebounder on the roster.

Reaction Score
Who shall be the first to disclaim her when she isn't? I hope she is all you say, injuries are terrible trauma to the Body and mind. Practice is one thing, big time opponents are clearly another. We have basically one month to wait. By November 25 we'll have a better view to use for objectivity.
Do you hold the same reservations with Paige, Azzi, Caroline, and Dorka coming back from injury? I’m just curious.

Reaction Score
No one should "disclaim her" obviously. If she falls short of high expectations it won't be for lack of trying.

Reaction Score
Do you hold the same reservations with Paige, Azzi, Caroline, and Dorka coming back from injury? I’m just curious.
YES. INJURIES ARE INJURES. They seem to seep into bodies and brains differently, but in all they are NOT immediate recovery. However, the type of injury, i.e. where they are injured has an impact of time. If you are asking am I biased by whom may be injured. To a degree but this is My team for a lifetime I have favorites but on game day, I love em all.

Reaction Score
I like your defense of Griffin. Keep it up. Every player deserves a protector of your nature.
However, don't expect everyone to have your view of her or of any Uconn player. She's a NY lady and I'd be trashed by in-laws if I didn't at least cheer a NY lady.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom