Aubrey Griffin a perfect fit for UConn | The Boneyard

Aubrey Griffin a perfect fit for UConn

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I like this quote.

“When you watch her, you’ll see that she has a calm demeanor,” her father, Adrian, said. “Off the court, she’s just the sweetest little lady in the world. But when she gets on the court, and you push her buttons, she has another level to go to. I think that’s what’s going to surprise a lot of people.

When push comes to shove and her back’s against the wall, she comes out swinging.”

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Loving everything I read about this kid. She was so close to making the USA team she tried out for last year - I hope she makes it this year. I believe she's going to show she's much better than her 32 ranking on HG and 90 on Prospects Nation. :eek:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"Ossining ultimately lost in the New York Federation final to nationally ranked Christ The King, 81-76, despite 38 points and 18 rebounds from Griffin.

“When she came back, we had to take it easy,” Ricci said. “Some days was good, some days not so good, but she really turned it on in the playoffs. She ended the season seven straight games, I think, with 35 or more (points) against top-level competition.”

I don't get why some are so blase" about Aubrey. Maybe because she didn't make us hold our breath until we turned purpleblue?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'll say what I've been saying again. Aubrey has a tremendous upside. But UConn fans need to give her some space to develop her game at the college level and not expect immediate contributions from her the day she shows up at Storrs.

Reaction Score
Aubrey is definitely a contender for that 5th starting spot.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I defer to Oldude, who has seen Aubrey more than I have, but I liked what I saw in a loss to a really good, quick, and aggressive team from Baltimore at a December tourney at Paul VI in Virginia in December. It was just before the ankle injury.

Aubrey had about 38 points and double-digit rebounds. She's very athletic and smooth. She helped Ossining in Q3 go from about 6 down to about 6 up. In that stretch, Aubrey showed her potential, with a three-pointer, several layups, blocks, assists, and steals. It reminded me of high school videos of Maya. She absolutely took the game over for about 6 minutes. Of course, Geno would want that level of intensity for 40 minutes, not 6 minutes.

I respectfully disagree with Oldude about Aubrey starting. Of course, that depends on other acquisitions, such as Westbrook and Makurat. If we add no one else in 2019, I think Aubrey is the best option as the 5th starter, better than Batouly, Kyla, or Molly (or Mikayla, who appears to be leaving).

Perfect fit for UConn? I think that's close. She's a really sweet kid who is a dynamic player. She's not quite as athletic as Diamond, but close. Her genes, tenacity, and knowledge from her father will serve her well.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm am so curious as to what we are going to look like next year. Definitely positionless BB, plenty of ball movement, etc., in other words UConn basketball, but who are going to be the big scoring threats. Are we going to spread the floor and dump down to ONO or rely on our quick guards to cut? A lot of pick and rolls? How much does Aubrey play? It's exciting stuff.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Aubrey is definitely a contender for that 5th starting spot.
I defer to Oldude, who has seen Aubrey more than I have, but I liked what I saw in a loss to a really good, quick, and aggressive team from Baltimore at a December tourney at Paul VI in Virginia in December. It was just before the ankle injury.

Aubrey had about 38 points and double-digit rebounds. She's very athletic and smooth. She helped Ossining in Q3 go from about 6 down to about 6 up. In that stretch, Aubrey showed her potential, with a three-pointer, several layups, blocks, assists, and steals. It reminded me of high school videos of Maya. She absolutely took the game over for about 6 minutes. Of course, Geno would want that level of intensity for 40 minutes, not 6 minutes.

I respectfully disagree with Oldude about Aubrey starting. Of course, that depends on other acquisitions, such as Westbrook and Makurat. If we add no one else in 2019, I think Aubrey is the best option as the 5th starter, better than Batouly, Kyla, or Molly (or Mikayla, who appears to be leaving).

Perfect fit for UConn? I think that's close. She's a really sweet kid who is a dynamic player. She's not quite as athletic as Diamond, but close. Her genes, tenacity, and knowledge from her father will serve her well.
Here is why I don't think Aubrey will start, despite her significant talent. Aubrey has some bad habits that she must correct. She doesn't always hustle on defense. She drives into trouble on offense. Sometimes she doesn't move her feet on defense and gets caught with reaching fouls. Geno has made it clear in the past that if you allow players to get away with not doing the things you ask them to do, and still allow them to play, they will never listen to you and do the things you want. Geno is not going to put Aubrey in a position where she will almost certainly stumble.

My hope is that Aubrey will be a contributor for UConn sometime by the end of her freshman year. I envision this happening like Liv, more as a reserve off the bench. Assuming UConn doesn't bring in an eligible transfer or international player, with Mikayla now out of the mix, my next most likely starter would be Kyla, unless Batouly has some kind of a miraculous recovery.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I like this quote.

“When you watch her, you’ll see that she has a calm demeanor,” her father, Adrian, said. “Off the court, she’s just the sweetest little lady in the world. But when she gets on the court, and you push her buttons, she has another level to go to. I think that’s what’s going to surprise a lot of people.

When push comes to shove and her back’s against the wall, she comes out swinging.”
Dad would know how valuable those traits are

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I like this quote.

That's good, because most freshmen at UCONN end up with their backs against the wall. And Geno is definitely gonna push her buttons.

Reaction Score
Here is why I don't think Aubrey will start, despite her significant talent. Aubrey has some bad habits that she must correct. She doesn't always hustle on defense. She drives into trouble on offense. Sometimes she doesn't move her feet on defense and gets caught with reaching fouls. Geno has made it clear in the past that if you allow players to get away with not doing the things you ask them to do, and still allow them to play, they will never listen to you and do the things you want. Geno is not going to put Aubrey in a position where she will almost certainly stumble.

My hope is that Aubrey will be a contributor for UConn sometime by the end of her freshman year. I envision this happening like Liv, more as a reserve off the bench. Assuming UConn doesn't bring in an eligible transfer or international player, with Mikayla now out of the mix, my next most likely starter would be Kyla, unless Batouly has some kind of a miraculous recovery.

Reaction Score
I have seen Aubrey play several times and have been following high school basketball since the days of Connie Hawkins .. Aubrey is a scorer; she has so many ways to score .. unless she is put on a leash, she will lead the Huskies in scoring next year as I have stated twice before on this forum...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I have seen Aubrey play several times and have been following high school basketball since the days of Connie Hawkins .. Aubrey is a scorer; she has so many ways to score .. unless she is put on a leash, she will lead the Huskies in scoring next year as I have stated twice before on this forum...
It would be great if that were the case, but respectfully, the person most likely to lead UConn in scoring next year will be Christyn. Aubrey will have her hands full just figuring out where she is supposed to be on the court for the 1st half of the season.

Reaction Score
I like this quote.

Are we getting KIA back? Shea? BT ? DT? and others. They took a punch then found a way to pay back. Shea with a stiff hand to the ribs others with their scoring or punching anything Orange.
If this proves to be true is that a super great plus for UcWBB, Geno, us fans.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
If oldude's description of her bad habits is correct (and I find it quite believable), then she WILL (without question) be put on a "fix them or wait for garbage time" leash -- just like Megan, Mikayla, Kiah Stokes, and even Gabby were. Geno isn't going to change his approach.

The same goes for Westbrook if she comes, which I still think is unlikely. She in particular may be a tough pony to break for work.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

If we get Westbrook and/or Makurat, I see one of them starting. If we have no additions other than Aubrey, I see her as a better option for starting and major minutes than Kyla, despite her flaws. Aubrey may not be as good as Christyn or Liv, but Geno had to accept some freshman mistakes this past season. He may need to be accepting once again.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Nan,
Thanks for sharing!! I read this article earlier. It is a very good article. I am looking forward to watching Aubrey play.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
If oldude's description of her bad habits is correct (and I find it quite believable), then she WILL (without question) be put on a "fix them or wait for garbage time" leash -- just like Megan, Mikayla, Kiah Stokes, and even Gabby were. Geno isn't going to change his approach.

The same goes for Westbrook if she comes, which I still think is unlikely. She in particular may be a tough pony to break for work.
oldude's description is correct. Griffin won't be able to lead the team in scoring if she is not playing as many minutes as the starters will be. Being a prolific scorer is not enough for Geno. He let CW know that her defense was weak after she had the big game against ND. Once she learns and does what it takes to earn Geno's trust, she will be, imo, a very productive player. If one has not seen Griffin play, trust what oldude says.

Reaction Score
I'll say what I've been saying again. Aubrey has a tremendous upside. But UConn fans need to give her some space to develop her game at the college level and not expect immediate contributions from her the day she shows up at Storrs.
Thanks old pro

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom