Aubrey Griffin - A difference maker? | The Boneyard

Aubrey Griffin - A difference maker?

Reaction Score
One role: creating mayhem in opponents' offense
Exactly. We have a thin bench, but lots of firepower from the perimeter. What teams might not expect from us is a ferocious team defense, and that starts with Nika and Aubrey. We could really shut opponents down with those two firing on all cylinders.

Reaction Score
While I take Aubrey's strong defense as a given, I am also interested in how her offense has improved. In the past, she didn't move well within the UConn motion offense, often slowing it down. I suspect that with a year+ of watching, she will be more able to use her quickness to get to the basket, pulling defenders off of the other UConn players.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
When healthy Aubrey is capable of defending 1 through 5, an excellent rebounder and a player who runs the floor and fills the lane on the break. Any baskets she knocks down from outside are a bonus. In her sophomore year Aubrey was a “difference maker” in UConn wins over Seton Hall, TN & SC. Really hoping to see her back and healthy for this coming season.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Aubrey could well be the biggest difference maker this year.
I sure hope so. She came off the bench to have her 25 point breakout game at Seton Hall her freshman year, so we know what she’s capable of. NOTHING would please me more than to see Aubrey display the skills and leadership we know are inside of her. Go Aubrey. :)

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
I absolutely loved this woman's entry into a game. I would exclaim to the wife; it's Aubrey time! She definitely always made a difference. Scoring would be a definite plus, but this kid made such a difference, in the game. I put Caroline in the same conversation, as far as being "a shot in the arm", for our team. Needless to say, the "stars" are who they are but these 2 women put me on the edge of my seat, just looking to see what they will accomplish.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While I referenced 3 regular season games when Aubrey was a difference maker, I neglected to mention her impact during the incredible 19-0 run in the Elite-8 game vs Baylor. While Paige & Christyn were handling most of the scoring load for the Huskies, Aubrey forced 3 Baylor turnovers by effectively switching to become an on-ball defender: 2 charging calls & 1 traveling call. Dijonai Carrington probably still has nightmares of Aubrey jumping out to take charge on her. :cool:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We need "The Griff" more then anything this season with our shortage of guards. She's been out of action for quite a while and I hope she's healthy enough to come back. It will take her time to get up to speed because of the lack of playtime she's had and being laid up for so long. She may have to be brought along slowly too and Azzi and Caroline will have to be brought along slowly not only in games but in practice too.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Aubrey’s little brother A.J. was drafted in the first round of the NBA draft as a freshman out of Duke. He is known as an uber-athletic knock-down shooter. If Aubrey can boost her confidence on the offensive end, she can be really, really good. Remember that she has up to 3 years of eligibility remaining.

Reaction Score
Aubrey has suffered and had corrected some very serious back injuries. The subsequent operation may have improved much of her mobiliy and eliminate a lot of pain. However, not all her mobility may be restored and maybe also not all of her pain has gone away. If she can get on the floor to play, it will be with whatever physical limitations she has. For those of us who have had back and spinal injuries resulting in surgery, know what this means.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Call me jaded but I opened this thread expecting bad news regarding Aubrey. Maybe I'm the only one. Can one of the moderators please change the title to something like Aubrey Griffin could be key to the season.

Reaction Score
If Aubrey hasn't improved on offense from 2 years ago then she won't see much time. Two years ago the roster didn't have the talent they do now.

Reaction Score
When healthy Aubrey is capable of defending 1 through 5, an excellent rebounder and a player who runs the floor and fills the lane on the break. Any baskets she knocks down from outside are a bonus. In her sophomore year Aubrey was a “difference maker” in UConn wins over Seton Hall, TN & SC. Really hoping to see her back and healthy for this coming season.
I recall Aubrey taking any number of charges to "energize" the UCONN defense/offense! Nice
backdoor cuts!

Carnac

Reaction Score
I absolutely loved this woman's entry into a game. I would exclaim to the wife; it's Aubrey time! She definitely always made a difference. Scoring would be a definite plus, but this kid made such a difference, in the game. I put Caroline in the same conversation, as far as being "a shot in the arm", for our team. Needless to say, the "stars" are who they are but these 2 women put me on the edge of my seat, just looking to see what they will accomplish.
Aubrey is our “Vinnie Johnson“ (Detroit Pistons ‘89-‘90). Vinnie was an “instant offense“ for the Pistons upon entering the game. That’s what Aubrey is for us, usually scoring a basket, getting a rebound or a steal immediately upon entering the game. She brings immediate energy to her teammates on the floor.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Aubrey is our “Vinnie Johnson“ (Detroit Pistons ‘89-‘90). Vinnie was an “instant offense“ for the Pistons upon entering the game. That’s what Aubrey is for us, usually scoring a basket, getting a rebound or a steal immediately upon entering the game. She brings immediate energy to her teammates on the floor.
I am sure you recall Johnson’s nickname: “The Microwave” because of how fast he would heat up…

Carnac

Reaction Score
Un
Aubrey has suffered and had corrected some very serious back injuries. The subsequent operation may have improved much of her mobiliy and eliminate a lot of pain. However, not all her mobility may be restored and maybe also not all of her pain has gone away. If she can get on the floor to play, it will be with whatever physical limitations she has. For those of us who have had back and spinal injuries resulting in surgery, know what this means.
Brother, you are preaching to the choir. I can give you chapter and verse on back pain and the mobility limitations it puts on you. :confused:

Reaction Score
We can only hope. The potential, like for everyone, is there. I am just hoping that she is fully recovered and is able to contribute whatever she is able to contribute. Points, hustle plays, rebounds, whatever and wherever she can contribute. I just want her at 100% and playing her game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What you guys are saying about back injuries reminds me of a Celtics game in which Larry Bird, nursing a back injury, dove for a loose ball. He was afraid to use his hands to cushion his fall for fear of hurting his back even more, and ended up smashing his face against the floor. He got the ball, of course. But I hope Aubrey is never put in that position.

Reaction Score
Call me jaded but I opened this thread expecting bad news regarding Aubrey. Maybe I'm the only one. Can one of the moderators please change the title to something like Aubrey Griffin could be key to the season.
After what appears to be a significant back injury, my expectations for AG are pretty low.............any strong defensive presence that she might be able to provide would be helpful............everything else is gravy..........

Reaction Score
If Aubrey hasn't improved on offense from 2 years ago then she won't see much time. Two years ago the roster didn't have the talent they do now.
I think it depends on the position. At her most natural position PF she has huge competition with Ice and Ayanna joining Aaliyah, so they are 4 deep there with very good players. But the door is open for quite a few minutes at SF, with only 4 players covering 1-3. That probably means very limited minutes there if all the guards are healthy, but if one is out, she could get big minutes out of necessity.

Reaction Score
I think it depends on the position. At her most natural position PF she has huge competition with Ice and Ayanna joining Aaliyah, so they are 4 deep there with very good players. But the door is open for quite a few minutes at SF, with only 4 players covering 1-3. That probably means very limited minutes there if all the guards are healthy, but if one is out, she could get big minutes out of necessity.
The problem with putting Aubrey at SF is that leaves us with only 2 serious perimeter shooting threats on the floor. I know some of our bigs can hit the occasional 3 pointer, but not with the proficiency of Azzi, Caroline, and Lou. It could fine, however, if we're in "pound it into the paint" mode. I can picture a lineup for that mode like this: Azzi, Lou, Aubrey, Aaliyah and Dorka, with Ice, Ayanna, Amari subbing in for Aaliyah and Dorka. In the Stewie years, we sometimes had Stewie, Steph and Kiah in the front court for stretches.

I think we are not likely to play for long in that mode. For one thing, it could prove to be too slow. I know, I harp on team speed a lot.

But even with that qualm of mine, I can see such a lineup being useful for some stretches -- we switch from a 4-out-pressing-D lineup to the 3-bigs-pound-the-paint lineup and force opposing teams into one set of mismatches or another. it could be exhausting for other teams to deal with.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom