Aubrey Griffin - A difference maker? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Aubrey Griffin - A difference maker?

Reaction Score
I think it depends on the position. At her most natural position PF she has huge competition with Ice and Ayanna joining Aaliyah, so they are 4 deep there with very good players. But the door is open for quite a few minutes at SF, with only 4 players covering 1-3. That probably means very limited minutes there if all the guards are healthy, but if one is out, she could get big minutes out of necessity.
No outside shot and unless it's a layup. I don't see her playing much 3 unless it's a low scoring game and they need her D or a blowout.

Reaction Score
No outside shot and unless it's a layup. I don't see her playing much 3 unless it's a low scoring game and they need her D or a blowout.
She defends the 3/perimeter player but on offense plays like the 4/5.

Reaction Score
If we had one more good guard on the roster I wouldn't expect Aubrey to play much at the 3 either. In that case I think she could be a situational substitute for defense or rebounding. What I think some are missing is that we likely will have to play Aubrey there out of necessity.

Right now, a very tight rotation of four players for 3 positions will consume most of the minutes at 1-3. I say most, because it is very hard to manage a 4 player rotation for 3 positions. Usually some minimal use like 5 minutes a game is needed from a fifth player. With that assumption, even if our four guards never miss even one game during the whole season, someone who is not a perimeter player will have to play a limited number of minutes at the 3.

Maybe somebody else is better at that role, but your other choices are all bigs, Ayanna, Aaliyah, Amari etc. So in my opinion, one of them plays a few minutes there whether it is a good fit, or strategic or not, we have no choice. That is the most optimistic scenario because it assumes that the four guards play all of 150 or more player games between them.

I don't know what the over and under would be on how many games those four guards would miss during the season, but I would estimate maybe in the 5-10 range. Of course any serious injury to any of them would result in blowing by that figure. My point is that whenever one of those guards is out, the use of a big to play guard goes from minimal to major. That big then becomes the fourth guard, and the substitute for all three starters at 1-3. Now that big would be used mostly at the 3, but you could easily be talking about Aubrey or some other big playing 20 minutes a game out of position. Since you are back to a 4 player rotation for 3 positions, you also probably need to bring in another big on the wing for a small 5 minutes a game or so, maybe Ayanna.

Minimal use of Aubrey at the 3 if we don't have additional guard injuries, is baked into the cake, not by choice but by necessity, unless you think another big would be better at the wing. Anything approaching normal, not good luck on further injuries, would mean Aubrey (or another big) would have to play a major portion of a half dozen or so games on the wing.

The bottom line is we have no insurance or cushion anymore at 1-3. It is highly likely we need to play a big at the wing for more than minimal minutes for multiple games this season. Aubrey is mentioned most often, despite her perimeter issues, because she seems to be the best available option when you have to use a big at the 3. I wouldn't be shocked if Ayanna showed enough perimeter skills to challenge Aubrey for that role, but realistically you are looking at those two.

Reaction Score
I don't know what the over and under would be on how many games those four guards would miss during the season, but I would estimate maybe in the 5-10 range. Of course any serious injury to any of them would result in blowing by that figure. My point is that whenever one of those guards is out, the use of a big to play guard goes from minimal to major. That big then becomes the fourth guard, and the substitute for all three starters at 1-3. Now that big would be used mostly at the 3, but you could easily be talking about Aubrey or some other big playing 20 minutes a game out of position.
It's hair raising, but you have to be right about this, maybe even optimistic about the 5-10 game estimate. So, yes, Aubrey and Ayanna are likely to do time at the 3.

If we manage to avoid major injuries to the guards, I think we can count on at least 30 mins/game from Azzi, and something similar from Caroline. With Nika, it's only injuries and her offense that could reduce her minutes, but 30 is not unrealistic. That leaves Lou with 30 mins, if her lack of D doesn't keep her off the court. That's the 120 mins we need from 1-3. Of course, this is much too tidy to be realistic, and it doesn't account for times when we'll want all 4 of them on the floor for a 4-out scheme. So even under my hyper-optimistic scenario, Aubrey and Ayanna are likely to be needed to cover the 3 for at least some mins.

As far as I can see, the primary differences between Aubrey and Ayanna concern size and speed. Ayanna is bigger and stronger, and Aubrey is likely to be a bit quicker and more experienced. Ayanna showed a perimeter shooting ability in high school, and if that translates to D1, then there's that too. But on D, I expect each of them to be fierce and intimidating.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
I simply have no expectation in regards to Aubrey this season.

I have tremendous hope for her, especially if it's playing basketball. I think/feel basketball is important to her so I'm hoping, hopefully, hopeful.

Back issues are complex. I'm hoping she is able to return and play at a high level, as her fan. If she can't play at a high enough level I hope she can continue being a part of the team going forward with a valuable degree and education.

I don't even know if she is cleared to practice, scrimmage and if so, at what level.

I will be ecstatic if Aubrey is having 1-2 productive minutes a game, per half, or per quarter.

Reaction Score
I simply have no expectation in regards to Aubrey this season.

I have tremendous hope for her, especially if it's playing basketball. I think/feel basketball is important to her so I'm hoping, hopefully, hopeful.

Back issues are complex. I'm hoping she is able to return and play at a high level, as her fan. If she can't play at a high enough level I hope she can continue being a part of the team going forward with a valuable degree and education.

I don't even know if she is cleared to practice, scrimmage and if so, at what level.

I will be ecstatic if Aubrey is having 1-2 productive minutes a game, per half, or per quarter.

I don't know what she is cleared to do, but was in the weight room with the rest of the team. And I believe she stayed on campus with Amari, Caroline, etc.

Reaction Score
Aubrey could well be the biggest difference maker this year.
We are all hoping for a " magic bullet" to replace the unfair and tragic loss of Paige. But Aubrey is Aubrey. If she can play and stay healthy it will be wonderful. She is a fine defender and rebounder. A terrific teammate, I am sure. But not a magic bullet.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
We are all hoping for a " magic bullet" to replace the unfair and tragic loss of Paige. But Aubrey is Aubrey. If she can play and stay healthy it will be wonderful. She is a fine defender and rebounder. A terrific teammate, I am sure. But not a magic bullet.
Aubrey is not Paige, but no one is. Here’s a big “if,” but if Aubrey is healthy and back to where she was as a sophomore, that’s a huge help. If she adds a little more offense, even better. Fingers crossed.

Reaction Score
I love Aubrey’s game just like I love Nika’s game. They’re each limited players, but they’re tremendous at what they do. Aubrey can shut down the opposing team’s best scorer and entirely change the architecture of the other team’s game plan. Nika can do this too. I love this!

Reaction Score
If we had one more good guard on the roster I wouldn't expect Aubrey to play much at the 3 either. In that case I think she could be a situational substitute for defense or rebounding. What I think some are missing is that we likely will have to play Aubrey there out of necessity.

Right now, a very tight rotation of four players for 3 positions will consume most of the minutes at 1-3. I say most, because it is very hard to manage a 4 player rotation for 3 positions. Usually some minimal use like 5 minutes a game is needed from a fifth player. With that assumption, even if our four guards never miss even one game during the whole season, someone who is not a perimeter player will have to play a limited number of minutes at the 3.

Maybe somebody else is better at that role, but your other choices are all bigs, Ayanna, Aaliyah, Amari etc. So in my opinion, one of them plays a few minutes there whether it is a good fit, or strategic or not, we have no choice. That is the most optimistic scenario because it assumes that the four guards play all of 150 or more player games between them.

I don't know what the over and under would be on how many games those four guards would miss during the season, but I would estimate maybe in the 5-10 range. Of course any serious injury to any of them would result in blowing by that figure. My point is that whenever one of those guards is out, the use of a big to play guard goes from minimal to major. That big then becomes the fourth guard, and the substitute for all three starters at 1-3. Now that big would be used mostly at the 3, but you could easily be talking about Aubrey or some other big playing 20 minutes a game out of position. Since you are back to a 4 player rotation for 3 positions, you also probably need to bring in another big on the wing for a small 5 minutes a game or so, maybe Ayanna.

Minimal use of Aubrey at the 3 if we don't have additional guard injuries, is baked into the cake, not by choice but by necessity, unless you think another big would be better at the wing. Anything approaching normal, not good luck on further injuries, would mean Aubrey (or another big) would have to play a major portion of a half dozen or so games on the wing.

The bottom line is we have no insurance or cushion anymore at 1-3. It is highly likely we need to play a big at the wing for more than minimal minutes for multiple games this season. Aubrey is mentioned most often, despite her perimeter issues, because she seems to be the best available option when you have to use a big at the 3. I wouldn't be shocked if Ayanna showed enough perimeter skills to challenge Aubrey for that role, but realistically you are looking at those two.

There are enough players. I am fairly certain that Patterson has all the tools to play the 3. She is athletic enough and has the quick feet to guard the perimeter.

How much will she and Brady contribute? Unproven freshmen? That was the case for Bueckers, Edwards, Mühl, Fudd and Ducharme too. More and more freshmen are coming to college with the skill level to step right in and from what I have seen of them I expect the freshmen to continue the pattern of UConn freshmen. Patterson will be given every opportunity to play the 3. She's only an inch taller than Ducharme and may be faster too.
Everything is speculation. Who emerges from the summer? I expect everyone to be cleared for practice whenever it starts. And if Griffin is ready to give 15/game by New years UConn will be fine.

Reaction Score
Patterson is intriguing for sure, as for comparison to Ducharme, Caroline is much better shooter, and without Paige this year, we need Caroline’s shooting more than ever. I love Aaliyah, and I hope she has a phenomenal season- she is a lock to start at the 4. Patterson (and Deberry and Ice) are all looking at the 4 spot too- our front court is loaded!

Reaction Score
Temper expectations. She’s coming off major back surgery, which would be tough for anyone nevermind a player who thrives with their athleticism. I wish her the best but I think it may take a fair bit of time to shake the rust off.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
My one word when thinking about Aubrey is Hope. You've got to love this kid. Think about her passion and action on the floor. Think about her tenacity and instinct. Those are all innate characteristics – she has them no matter what. So I hope that she she is recovered and that she can add some offense to a stellar defense and court presence. That would be a game changer. I hope for a season of Aubrey plays that we're talking about in here after games. Go Aubrey!!!1

Reaction Score
Aubrey is best when defending 1-4. I do not want to see her guarding the likes of Boston , Brink , or Key .

Reaction Score
The only issue is the extent of her recovery. She was forgotten last year by many fans with all the other injuries, ailments, and sicknesses of our active players. Imagine what she would have brought to that team. She is her father's daughter and her game is eerily similar. Instantly the best "floor player" on the team, an older phrase to describe a solid defender who steals and deflects, plays help defense as well, rebounds, and scores on put backs, from the line and running the break.

We don't need her to be anything more than a healthy Aubrey. One of the key reasons why I still am optimistic about keeping the FF streak alive is her. I often feel that the intangibles she brings to the team are not highlighted enough. Above all else, she is the front court version of Nika but with more dimension, a total pain in the ass to the opponent's offensive flow and a very opportunistic player under the basket.

Reaction Score
If I remember correctly, Audrey's shooting touch improved near the end of her playing time. She's coming back a year wiser, and no doubt
having practiced a good deal. Given her natural athleticism and quickness, she may give the team more than A plus defense.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I wish we would hear updates on how Aubrey is feeling, rehabbing, etc. We haven’t heard anything in awhile.
Those should come once official practice begins, and the beat writers can talk to Geno and associate head coach Christine Daley on a regular basis. Then we should get regular updates on Aubrey and everyone else. :cool: Remember the old TV game show "To Tell the Truth" that debuted in 1956? After the 3 guests where done answering questions from the panel, and they had made their guesses as to who the REAL person was, the original host Bud Collyer, who hosted the show during its CBS years from 1956–1968.John Daley would say: Will the real (what ever the person's name was) please stand up. We've yet to see the real Aubrey Griffin. So, I d like to see the real Aubrey stand up, and have a season to remember.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Aubrey is best when defending 1-4. I do not want to see her guarding the likes of Boston , Brink , or Key .
Aubrey also did not do well guarding super quick point guards (nor has anyone else on UConn the past two years). If she can rehab her back and do well against the 2-4's, we have a great asset.

Reaction Score
I think it is hard to assess where Aubrey will be this year. Forget last season as she was probably never herself with injury. We can look at her freshman year with a lot games where she made a considerable contribution. I would say the game never really slowed down for her. Very consistent with a lot of really good freshman. Some sophomores ground and make the sophomore leap. We will have to see with Aubrey. So much unknown. I know I loved to watch her play as a freshman. I would say to my wife - "when she gets comfortable watch out". My wife agreed. We use to call her Bambi as she reminded us of a young deer. If and when she gets in the flow she will make significant contributions.

I see a lot of people have seemed to write her off offensively. I hope to see her fully realize her potential. Not sure when this will be but am hopeful. I am pulling for her.

Reaction Score
Aubrey could well be the biggest difference maker this year.
That's a wait and see. Until her injury she was still in the "potential" stage.

Reaction Score

And with the players around her why would she? But then no one could guard Boston. I think Griffin could guard Brink.

Griffin was a spark player. She could come in and in 2 minutes have a steal 2 offensive rebounds and a putback and a blocked shot. She also had troubles, like fouls, and usually only played a few minutes at a time. That type of player's game stats look unimpressive but in those short stretches they carried the team. I'm hoping that Patterson is also that type. UConn has several players who have carried the team for stretches of a game. Mühl was like that as a freshman but had to cool it to stay out of foul trouble and play long minutes.

Reaction Score
I love Aubrey’s game just like I love Nika’s game. They’re each limited players, but they’re tremendous at what they do. Aubrey can shut down the opposing team’s best scorer and entirely change the architecture of the other team’s game plan. Nika can do this too. I love this!
I think Nika is a far bigger threat offensively. We have seen her drain several threes in a row. Aubrey maybe made one in her entire career. Aubrey often misses easy, " put back" baskets, Nika rarely missed those opportunities. The ceiling for Nika on offense seems far higher than for Aubrey.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom