Attention So. Carolina UConn fans | The Boneyard

Attention So. Carolina UConn fans

Reaction Score
Pretty Cool for Geno to speak with these young ladies. I’ve seen the North Augusta girls play a couple times this year and they dominated everyone. They are very disruptive on defense and everyone on the flor could drive or shoot it. Outstanding coaching in that area. They rank as one of the best in SC history along with Spring Valley, Goose Creek, and Dutch Fork.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Is it business or pleasure?
Maybe a little of both. There are 3 young post players on the North Augusta team, all of whom are 6’2” or better: 2 freshmen (twin sisters) and an 8th grader. Then of course, if Geno knows one of the members at Augusta National, I’m certain that as an avid golfer, he would relish the opportunity to play on a golf course that is almost sacred to golfers around the world.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Even if you are Geno, you don't just get on Augusta. You have to be accompanied by a member. A member can't just make a call and get you on. No one can play the course for the 3 months before the tourney, So maybe there are a bunch around planning to play this week.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Even if you are Geno, you don't just get on Augusta. You have to be accompanied by a member. A member can't just make a call and get you on. No one can play the course for the 3 months before the tourney, So maybe there are a bunch around planning to play this week.
You are correct that you can only play Augusta when accompanied by a member. There are approximately 300 members at Augusta National. I’ll venture a guess that Geno knows one or more of them.

As for when you can actually play Augusta, the 3 month period immediately after the Masters, until they close down the course during the heat of the summer is the absolute best time possible. The course is in A1 shape after the Masters and springtime in GA is fantastic.

Reaction Score
You are correct that you can only play Augusta when accompanied by a member. There are approximately 300 members at Augusta National. I’ll venture a guess that Geno knows one or more of them.

As for when you can actually play Augusta, the 3 month period immediately after the Masters, until they close down the course during the heat of the summer is the absolute best time possible. The course is in A1 shape after the Masters and springtime in GA is fantastic.
I suspect that even if Geno doesn't know anyone at Augusta, several arms would go up if it was known he wanted to play a round.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I suspect that even if Geno doesn't know anyone at Augusta, several arms would go up if it was known he wanted to play a round.
One other issue is that many of the members at Augusta are no longer golf playing members. I believe the average age of the members is well into the 60’s. In addition, Augusta is one hilly golf course where golf carts are not allowed, so if you’re going to play, you walk the course. A lot of current members are not up to walking 18 holes at Augusta, even with a caddie toting their bag.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
One other issue is that many of the members at Augusta are no longer golf playing members. I believe the average age of the members is well into the 60’s. In addition, Augusta is one hilly golf course where golf carts are not allowed, so if you’re going to play, you walk the course. A lot of current members are not up to walking 18 holes at Augusta, even with a caddie toting their bag.
The course looks fairly hilly on TV, but it’s much hillier than it looks.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
"almost sacred" ??????? There was a time when I would have donated a left body part to play there.
Man I'm curious. Which one precisely?

Reaction Score
There was a well known jockey named Chris McCarron, who was once asked to ride a horse in the Kentucky Derby by some rich Oklahoma oilman. He declined until the owner tossed in a weekend at Augusta. McClarron said he must have played 9 rounds in the 3 days. The horse is still running.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It would have to be one that didn't affect (or is it effect??) my swing.
For me it would have to be something that doesn't affect my conjugal visits or watching the last season of GOT. Doc says I'm doing well though

Reaction Score
Augusta, Georgia is right on the state line. North Augusta appears to be on the South Carolina side of the Savannah River, which is border.
And I’ve never been there. Used to go to plants scattered in the central and western areas of SC.

Reaction Score

Sounds like local knowledge. Played TPC just a few weeks after the Travelers and the greens were like concrete. Wasn’t fun. Used to play Torrey Pines before the tournament. Had to use temp tees, but regular greens. Didn’t play it for a few months afterward. It got beat up by the tour and the crowds.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score

Almost as fantastic as Springtime in Carolina.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Years ago...after the UConn men won their first championship in 1999 I was in Storrs planning to try to see the women practice. In town I saw Jim Calhoun entering a convenience store. I said "Congratulations" on the championship. A rather subdued 'thanks' was the reply. I knew he had played Augusta after winning the ring...and I asked him about how fast the greens were. Boom! He stopped and we had a minimum 10 minute chat about his round....no more 'subdued'..he clearly remembered every blessed shot he had taken and went into detail about many of them. As an avid golfer I knew every hole and it took only an occasional question for JC to wax poetic about the entire round.

I hope we hear about Geno merrily three putting his way around Amen Corner.

Trivia bar bet: What UConn player waited on table during the Masters...Ricky Moore...he is from Augusta. Dad...Buck Moore....was/is a caddie at Augusta and an occasional caddie on the PGA tour...he never has had a really good player's bag....I think.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Membership to Augusta National is pretty elite.

Off topic, but South Carolina used membership to Augusta National to entice Steve Spurrier to take the SC job I’ve heard.

That place is the crown jewel of PGA golf.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom