Attention AG Bashers | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Attention AG Bashers

Reaction Score
DH has no choice but to protect his players, and he should. That doesn’t mean they are immune from criticism for poor play. It didn’t take a basketball PhD to know AG’s play is atrocious by any objective standard. That said, the level at which these players are expected to perform against other top level athletes is beyond our appreciation or experience. It’s not a video game. So, I say DH can defend and fans are free to attack, and so it goes.

Reaction Score
UConn fans are desperate for a winning men's basketball team. It has been too long and the frustration between conference realignment, losing football and basketball teams for such a long time, people are on edge and sometimes, especially when under the influence, things come out. I don't know anything about posting things directly to players on social media, but comments on the boneyard are simply observations of what fans see when they watch a game. It is no different for fans of any sport, not just UConn. Imagine being a rabid Knicks fan or Giants fan. If they had a boneyard, one could just imagine the comments.

Reaction Score
I read all the "bench AG" stuff on here assuming it was a bit of hyperbole after a tough loss. I think most people would agree that Gilbert should be the starter, but to me it was more the idea that he has to get the hook if he is making poor decisions over and over. Then put him back in and see if he gets the message. I also think he should play less minutes overall to try to give Gaffney/Bouk more run and he should be looking for the pass first on drives. I've got no problem with him or Vital taking good open shots, make or miss.

Gaffney and Adams entered the game pretty quickly today and Gilbert saw the bench earlier than usual. He was passing a lot more and not just driving into trees. He was better for it and we were better for it. He made the guys around him better today by running the offense as a facilitator. That should be his mindset. He doesn't have to try to carry this team on his back. He's not Kemba or Shabazz and he doesn't need to be.

And even though this point had been made already by all, anybody @'ing him on Twitter or Instagram to put him down is a clown.

Reaction Score
In all honesty, at what major program does this not happen at when a player or team isn’t doing well. Sure it’s not right and I’m not defending the direct messages to AG, but this ain’t Rhode Island.

Reaction Score
The problem for me is the fan hypocrisy when it comes to loyalty. We think down on the transfers that leave and don't stick with the program. Particularly J Dunham who ollie stuck with through injuries but left after one year. I don't blame the players for leaving as there was no development, but we call them out on lack of loyalty.
Who’s J Dunham? Lena’s brother?

Reaction Score
Love it. The kid has the talent, heart, and mind set to be a great college PG and leader. He just needs to get/ stay on the court gain confidence and get into a groove

Reaction Score
He wasn't talking about the BY. Nobody cares what's posted here, criticism and discussion (to a point) are fine. But tweeting at anyone to tell them they suck is dumb. Dumb when it's a HS kid, dumb when it's a college kid, dumb when it's a professional athlete

Reaction Score
Care to expand? It's fair to criticize a players game, especially if that player is playing hero ball while shooting 20% on the season. On the other hand, you are a if you @ the kid, emphasis on kid, and tell him he's a bum and so on.
Take a look at posts on here about AG and CV - people on here are brutal
'AG & CV 4-25 from the field'
'Time to bench AG'
'Gilbert and Vital'

Things said in the chat room
The way people have dumped on these kids is uncalled for, and I admire Hurley for calling them out and protecting his players. I just learned more about the type of person he is then I knew before and have much more respect for him. He chose to keep them and he has enough faith in them to continue to start them. For all the admiration on this board for Hurley I would think you would trust his judgement more.
I am sorry that this team has not lived up to your expectations over the last few years but in my view being a fan is being supportive through ups and downs and being patient throughout the rebuilding process. I've been there before and believe me it was worth the wait - hopefully it will be this time also.

Reaction Score
'Time to bench AG'
'Gilbert and Vital'

The way people have dumped on these kids is uncalled for, and I admire Hurley for calling them out and protecting his players. I just learned more about the type of person he is then I knew before and have much more respect for him. He chose to keep them and he has enough faith in them to continue to start them. For all the admiration on this board for Hurley I would think you would trust his judgement more.
I am sorry that this team has not lived up to your expectations over the last few years but in my view being a fan is being supportive through ups and downs and being patient throughout the rebuilding process. I've been there before and believe me it was worth the wait - hopefully it will be this time also.
Personally, the last week and a half is as much fun as I have had watching UConn in a long time. That's just me. I know I am not good enough to coach a men's D1 team....or a boys under 7 team.

Reaction Score
AG is the man. Screw the haters. Yeah he’s had a tough time shooting it this year, he’s still our best pure point guard by a wide margin. The fact that a McDonald’s All American didn’t transfer during the shitshow we’ve been the past 4 years deserves praise no matter his play on the court. He’s loyal to UConn. He’s also had 2 shoulder surgeries, give the dude a break. Also worth noting he adjusted his game today by taking only 5 shots and dishing out 7 assists - that shows maturity. It’s also still November. Chill out.

Reaction Score
Dan, I'm happy you're here and I'm in your corner my man. But let me correct something about what you said. Many of us "know what makes a championship program". We've been observing that stuff for 20 or more years.
We've observed 15 titles in total, so we know what it takes. Maybe that's our problem. :D

Anyhow, I think you're the right man to get us back into the mix, and I believe our short term success relies heavily on AG's play. Most of us do, ignore the noise. You can't have the passionate fan bash without the passion
giphy.gif

Reaction Score
I'd honestly be a little bit upset and confused if we didn't criticize AG's play after the X game... he made some terrible in-game decisions. We're all diehard fans and want to see our program succeed. Obviously there's a line we can't cross and we have to realize he is a kid and has been damn loyal to our program, but as long as we're talking hoops and not making personal attacks we can show our passion by criticizing a player's performance.

Reaction Score
Just pause for one moment and just think - imagine if Ag starts playing like we know he’s capable of? We cud be scary good by February. 10 deep with bouknight on draft boards(not that I want that part but....) Thinking about this in back of my mind

Reaction Score
It’s not that complicated. If your hating on a guy that has continually worked his tail off to get back on the court for us, for UConn, then don’t pretend that you somehow support the player. Too many people are ready to give up on a high character kid just because he didn’t get the results they want. They almost beat a top 20 team Friday, they played with heart and determination. AL’s character is a big part of the rebuild. You can’t replace real character, conversely you can easily replace fake fans cause when your finally winning there will be plenty of people filling those empty seats. If you don’t have AL’s back you ain’t part of the family.

Reaction Score
Nobody here is rooting against AG, we all want him to succeed. And I'm sure Hurley's conversation with him wasn't just that all the people on social media are idiots. Hint: Look how he played the first 5 games, and look how he played tonight

Reaction Score
'Time to bench AG'
'Gilbert and Vital'

Those threads are filled with reasonable critiques of Alterique's form so far this season. Has Alterique had to overcome some of the worst injury luck we've seen? Yes. Does Alterique deserve credit for the team's improvement thusfar as the alpha dog in the squad? Yes. All that being said, if our point guard continually makes dumb decisions and insists on playing hero ball when he can't buy a bucket our fans are allowed to discuss it on this forum. You can root for Rique while at the same time acknowledging when he stinks out loud.

Also, I have to say, I don't think for a second Hurley meant the boneyard when he was talking about fan abuse. I assume Al was getting abuse over dm on Twitter and other forms of social media. Unfortunately that is the life of an athlete, or really anyone with any clout in 2019. Penn State was just in the news for abuse their QB got after they lost to Minnesota. It's even feasible that you could have trolls posing as UConn fans harassing him. Social media is a cesspool

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Nobody here is rooting against AG, we all want him to succeed. And I'm sure Hurley's conversation with him wasn't just that all the people on social media are idiots. Hint: Look how he played the first 5 games, and look how he played tonight
It’s obvious we should all be motivational speakers.

Reaction Score
'Time to bench AG'
'Gilbert and Vital'

[/
It was “brutal” to give the shooting stats of AG and CV in the Chat room during the Xavier game? I made that comment.
Anyone who believes that AG should not have been critiqued in how he played the first 5 games need only look at how effectively AG played today. It was a 180 change on what he had been doing.
No more empty drives into the lane getting your shot swatted. Finding open teammates with nice passes instead of always looking to score yourself. Playing team ball instead of hero ball. And guess what Kathy? The team won going away.

This is what all of us fans on the board have been saying. Play to your strengths instead of your weaknesses.

I mean, what if instead it was Josh Carlton hoisting up 13 three pointers a game and making 1 or 2? Are you supporting Josh? How about after Josh misses ten 30 footers in a row against Xavier because he’s a “warrior” and wants so badly to win the game? You still cheering for Josh to keep shooting those 30 footers? The team is battling Xavier, trying to stay in the game, trying to win, and Josh has decided he doesn’t need his teammates to win the game. He’ll do it himself. Jacking up 30 footer after 30 footer, missing badly every time. Killing the valiant effort that the rest of the team put into winning the game.

Today AG played within his abilities. This is what us “brutal” fans have been asking for. Hopefully AG continues this, especially if a game is close, late. Will he revert to doing things he can’t do in a vain attempt to win the game by himself? Or will he be a team player and get his teammates involved? I’m hopeful we will never see AG again playing as if he’s the only UConn player on the court. He can be so much better than “that” AG.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom