Athletic Master Plan Update | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Athletic Master Plan Update

Reaction Score
Seeing the manner in which it was presented, Populous is strongly encouraging UConn to build a new arena. I am a little surprised at the renderings and how they move the fields around. The renderings look great. One thing I did notice is the potential of shutting down Jim Calhoun Way between Freitas and Alumni Dr. Also, I may have missed it but no mention of parking, which we all know is a UConn trademark. The new arena RIT just built for $40M looks great. Just tweak it a bit to make it "ours." If anyone is interested in my opinion, if a new arena is the result, do more than 20% chair backs. I understand funding is an issue. I'm in no means an architect but I would like to see something similar to RIT, maybe arch the roof, like Gutterson, or maybe pitched like Yost. Just out of curiosity, what is the life expectancy of Gampel? Is it time to think of replacing Gampel with a dual facility, like Conte?
There is a piece of land called The Separatist Tract that goes south from where Freitas and Morrone stadium are now towards South Eagleville Rd. It is owned by UConn and can easily be used to make a parking facility for the ice arena, baseball field, softball field, soccer stadium and Gampel.

Reaction Score
There is a piece of land called The Separatist Tract that goes south from where Freitas and Morrone stadium are now towards South Eagleville Rd. It is owned by UConn and can easily be used to make a parking facility for the ice arena, baseball field, softball field, soccer stadium and Gampel.
That's a good chunk of land. Just throwing this out there, but what about keeping the current Freitas as a practice facility and use the Separatist tract for a new arena and parking? Or is that the idea?

Reaction Score
That's a good chunk of land. Just throwing this out there, but what about keeping the current Freitas as a practice facility and use the Separatist tract for a new arena and parking? Or is that the idea?
That to me would be the ideal thing...take that facility, fold it into a new facility upgrading the ice making surface and machinery then only putting limited seating on one side...use that for public skating, intramurals, and youth hockey, practice facility (giving both teams equal practice time splitting time on main ice surface and practice surface) and have the main arena area with team facilities.

Reaction Score
Re: the PSU and RIT examples - it would make no sense to replicate RIT's arena at that cost as it would be obsolete in the league within 10 years. If you want to take the program seriously and be able to compete against the top of the league on the ice and in recruiting battles, you have to spend a bit more to get some bells and whistles. Now that doesn't mean you have to dump the money in that Penn State did, but a bare bones rink with no jumbotron, no video capability, no ribbon boards is going to only be a very minor overall improvement from XL. Building what ND has would be an excellent benchmark for UConn. Though the layout of that place is really bad, the general footprint, amenities, look, and cost are right in line with what UConn should aim for. You could probably build a similar version of that without their awful balcony sightlines for $50 million in today's dollars. And that facility includes an extra practice rink that local youth teams use so you could justify the cost as serving the local community as well.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
They should build on the adjacent parking lot and make Freitas their practice arena. Real simple. HE makes the rules here.

These improvements scream getting into a P5 conference. I am impressed.

Reaction Score
They should build on the adjacent parking lot and make Freitas their practice arena. Real simple. HE makes the rules here.

Exactly!!!! More I think about it the more I would like to see something like they introduced in the drawings about a year ago...that added to a practice rink that is Freitas now will be perfect. Still allows them to play in Hartford while not being held hostage to date availability

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

The problem as I understand it is those woods that line the lot are on the edge of a cliff/ravine drop, which makes it a tough plot of land to work with.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
regardless of what winds up happening with the arena back there they really should build a parking garage for athletic event parking and develop that back entry way from Separatist Rd or else it will be a nightmare.

Reaction Score
regardless of what winds up happening with the arena back there they really should build a parking garage for athletic event parking and develop that back entry way from Separatist Rd or else it will be a nightmare.
If they end up closing off Hillside to vehicle traffic like I have heard that will be a necessity.

Reaction Score
The problem as I understand it is those woods that line the lot are on the edge of a cliff/ravine drop, which makes it a tough plot of land to work with.
That's possible, though the parking lot area in and of itself is quite large. If they literally had the bounds of the parking lot to work with, an arena could fit there with some finagling. That said, just knocking down Freitas, and taking that land plus some of the I Lot land and make that the hockey facility with an adjacent parking garage for use by the whole complex back there and as basketball overflow.

Reaction Score

There is only one P5 conference that might find it attractive. Right?

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score

I feel like the hesitation to address the hockey arena is related to the hope that the B1G comes calling.

Reaction Score
I feel like the hesitation to address the hockey arena is related to the hope that the B1G comes calling.
I can't imagine how the B1G would prefer UConn playing in XL. A brand new on campus facility the program has to itself would be far more appealing to the B1G.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I can't imagine how the B1G would prefer UConn playing in XL. A brand new on campus facility the program has to itself would be far more appealing to the B1G.
Exactly, so better to hold off on any Freitas renovation work. There are enough athletic facility upgrades in the short term to show our continued commitment to being an elite AD. HE is fine with us playing in the XL center for now.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Exactly, so better to hold off on any Freitas renovation work. There are enough athletic facility upgrades in the short term to show our continued commitment to being an elite AD. HE is fine with us playing in the XL center for now.

Plus I have to imagine that the hockey team is part of the ROI calculation on a new arena, so as long as that is still under discussion I'd expect Freitas to drag.

Reaction Score

Do you guys have season tickets to football or do either of you go to games? If not I have a newsflash for you...there are no P-5 invites coming until Rentschler starts packing 38-40K per game again on a regular basis win or lose.

Reaction Score

Silly me, but I always thought that UConn athletic's glacial pace at upgrading athletic facilities including the ice rink was due to its chronic problems at raising the large amount of money that it takes to build these venues. It seems to me the P-5 view of this is that continuing to use out dated facilities such as J.O. Christian field, Morrone Stadium, and the current ice rink is that it indicates a lack of athletic commitment on the part of the school and its fans (the ones who support these endeavors through donations, ticket sales and such).

Reaction Score
Oh, I get your point now I thought you were saying don't build a new arena on campus until the B1G comes calling. Totally agree, this 2,500 seat Band-Aid is a terrible idea from a B1G perspective as well.

Reaction Score
Facilities Investment Together Surcharge/Fee:
FIT Email.jpg

Facilities Investment Together

>>However, to begin construction of state of the art facilities in the spring of 2018, we need everyone in UConn Nation to participate and invest. Beginning with the 2017-18 sport seasons, we have established a new and modest F.I.T. (Facilities Investment Together) fee on all Husky athletic tickets.

There will be a $5 surcharge on every football ticket, $2 for each men’s ice hockey and men’s/women’s basketball ticket and $1 for each men’s/women’s soccer ticket. .I.T. fee will be applicable to season, mini-plan and single-game purchases, but no assessment for UConn student tickets.<<

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Courant: With Feasibility Study And Ticket Surcharge, UConn Moving Forward On Plans For New Stadiums

>>The Freitas Ice Forum is a separate project, Benedict said, and the university is not at a point where it is ready to move on any proposal. Populous estimates renovation of the rink would run $25 million to $35 million, but adds that another option would be to demolish and build a new rink if it is to be used for competition. An estimate of the cost for a new rink is not included in the study. Benedict said it's unclear at this point which direction UConn might take on the hockey rink. For now, he said the focus is on the soccer, softball and baseball stadiums.<<

Reaction Score
Too bad we don't have a billionaire alum. Look at what Pickens does for Okla State and Pegula for Penn St. One can dream...

Reaction Score
Request for bids for a Construction Manager for the Athletic Complex Development was posted today. The Athletic Complex is now out of the planning stage and into the construction stage. Construction to start March 1, 2018 with a $45-50 million dollar budget and an 18-24 construction time frame. Doesn't appear that a hockey arena is included in this bid request.

http://media.procurement.uconn.edu/cpca/BID DOCUMENTS/201696-RFQ/Invitation-to-Prequalify-CM-1_31_17.pdf

February 22nd BOT agenda to release $4,759,000 of gift $$ for design and planning for new athletic complex. New potential hockey arena locations planning included.

http://boardoftrustees.uconn.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/1799/2017/02/Att.-19-Athletics-Stadia.pdf

Reaction Score
Long overdue. My question is to anybody who may know, the article in the Courant states $46M for 3 stadiums, baseball, softball and soccer. $25M of which was donated and the remaining from ticket surcharges. They will start charging $2/ ticket surcharge for hockey tickets. How long before the hockey arena is started, and what happens if an arena isn't built? Are the surcharges earmarked for their specific sport/facility or is it lumped into a general stadia account. My concern is being charged a surcharge and never seeing an arena.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom