Athletic District Development | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Athletic District Development

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is this because of the increasing weight of Americans?
After unfortunately passing through Tennessee recently, it's challenging at best to believe increasingly overweight does not characterize too many Memphis fans. Massive, yet on par with Kentucky.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I find it somewhat interesting, intriguing and risky that UConn is seemingly throwing more and more money at athletics without a seemingly readily available increase in TV revenue.

I read on here daily that we won't be able to survive much longer without an increase in revenue, and while that is probably true someday and while the P5/G5 distinction will kill us as well, it doesn't seem like anyone has told the administration.

In a time of a huge athletic subsidy in a poor conference we have plans to upgrade all of our non revenue sports facilities?

Reaction Score
I find it somewhat interesting, intriguing and risky that UConn is seemingly throwing more and more money at athletics without a seemingly readily available increase in TV revenue.

I read on here daily that we won't be able to survive much longer without an increase in revenue, and while that is probably true someday and while the P5/G5 distinction will kill us as well, it doesn't seem like anyone has told the administration.

In a time of a huge athletic subsidy in a poor conference we have plans to upgrade all of our non revenue sports facilities?

Upper level educational bureaucrats ignore economic realities. Public sector bureaucrats do the same. Put them together you have a public university administration. That means they ignore economic reality squared.

Reaction Score
These are the kinds of athletic upgrades that should have been envisioned and built by several past administrations at UConn. The key is pushing forward in the face of government bureaucrats and political office holders who don't appreciate either the need or the tangible rewards of moving UConn to a higher place. They yap about budgets and shortfalls while wasting tax dollars left and right. The key requirement to getting things done is courageous leadership, as we see everyday from SH.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Fwiw it looks like theyre just asking for proposals on the design and architecture of it all. Nothings been bought or sold yet but someones thinking about it, or at least pretending to.

Reaction Score
Fwiw it looks like theyre just asking for proposals on the design and architecture of it all. Nothings been bought or sold yet but someones thinking about it, or at least pretending to.
Design and architecture make plans concrete. That allows them to figure out what each project will cost. You don't spend that kind of
$ on architecture/design work and not complete the projects.

Reaction Score
The OP indicated a budget of up to $90,000,000 with development to start Spring 2018.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Im saying no ones drawn anything yet. Theyre asking how much to design and draw. They could sit on drawings for years before putting it out to bid. Dont get me wrong, i love the thought and early look of it all. My 4 year old is about ready to attend events with me and it would make me very proud to walk him from the north lot to gampel and up through the newly developed athletic center.

Reaction Score
Im saying no ones drawn anything yet. Theyre asking how much to design and draw. They could sit on drawings for years before putting it out to bid. Dont get me wrong, i love the thought and early look of it all. My 4 year old is about ready to attend events with me and it would make me very proud to walk him from the north lot to gampel and up through the newly developed athletic center.
I guess you and I are interpreting it 2 different ways. I will say this..as far as the Freitas upgrade is concerned those plans need to be submitted to HE by April of 2017. That date falls in line with the dates in the RFP. This puts the final upgrades on paper. Those drawings will be the accepted project for the campus planner's office and will be used to show recruits as projects are financed and green lighted.

Reaction Score

They are specifically fundraising for it. Maybe they don't hit spring 2018 for shovels, but I think the chances are good.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Benedict was on the job barely a month when he mentioned what a priority new baseball, softball, and soccer stadiums were... Makes me think these have been in the plan for a while.

Reaction Score
Benedict was on the job barely a month when he mentioned what a priority new baseball, softball, and soccer stadiums were... Makes me think these have been in the plan for a while.

They have been - they were working on this when we lost out to Lousiville to the ACC. But at that point it was a dream and they hadn't even finalized funding the BB facility. Not having top flight facilities for all sports is an issue - and to that note Louisville was way ahead of us. I saw their facilities this week - impressive. This level of commitment and being able to actually raise the money for these sorts of things matters to people looking at expansion candidates, or so I'm told.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom