AT YOUR DOORSTEP | The Boneyard

AT YOUR DOORSTEP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't understand for the life of me how a major network (ESPN) have the national champions men's and women's at their doorstep and not talk about us the same as they do for Duke or Kentucky. What other school can claim to have won both titles in two separate years. Their right here in our state (CT.).Damn it we're Uconn dual National Champions. Show some respect.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Bourbon? Ive made this disrespect thread numerous times under the influence. You're right thought. It makes no sense. Its something that we have to embrace I guess. Its helped in the past.

Reaction Score
As long as we keep winning, I'm cool with it.
This, forever.

I asked the same question a while back and the one thing that stood out the most was that ESPN has a large number of Syracuse alumni (School of Journalism) who live/work in our state and have to watch Syracuse do what Syracuse does every BB season. I'm sure there is a laundry list of other reasons, but as intlzcster said...

Reaction Score
I guess one consolation is if we got the attention that dook, UNC and Kentucky get, many hoops fans would hate our program. I think the disrespect from ESPN combined with our 4 recent NCs, actually earns our program more respect from knowledgeable hoops fans. I've run into a lot of fans from of other programs that seem to feel this way. There are those hard core fans of some ol' big east programs that hate us because he we stomped the shiitake out of them for years, or at least battled them fiercely, but I'm fine with ESPN's disrespect since IMO, our program makes them look kinda stupid not talking us up. Makes it all the more fun when we kick the crap out of the dooks, MSU's, Kensucky's that are pimped 24-7 on ESPN.

Reaction Score
Perhaps we are boring. No controversies, small town Storrs, likeable 'nice person' coach, no rivalry, team concept first, AAC (nuff said), scholarly players, etc...

Just sayin. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Reaction Score
I don't like it but I understand it. KY and Duke have bigger fan bases. ESPN is a worldwide sports network. People in Texas, LA, Chicago, etc don't want to hear about UConn basketball. We'll get the coverage when we win. They're concerned about nationwide ratings through coverage of all sports, this isn't the local NBC CT affiliate.

Reaction Score
All of you guys are right in your response to this thread. When we're under appreciated, make us prove everyone wrong. That's what happens when you're looked at as a mid-major (AAC).

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
DogMania said:
I guess one consolation is if we got the attention that dook, UNC and Kentucky get, many hoops fans would hate our program. I think the disrespect from ESPN combined with our 4 recent NCs, actually earns our program more respect from knowledgeable hoops fans. I've run into a lot of fans from of other programs that seem to feel this way. There are those hard core fans of some ol' big east programs that hate us because he we stomped the shiitake out of them for years, or at least battled them fiercely, but I'm fine with ESPN's disrespect since IMO, our program makes them look kinda stupid not talking us up. Makes it all the more fun when we kick the crap out of the dooks, MSU's, Kensucky's that are pimped 24-7 on ESPN.
I don't know. I think we are pretty hated. Success breeds contempt. Combine that with the legacy of JC and uniformed people thinking we are cheaters in the Jc era and I don't see much love for the huskies outside our fanbases.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score

Hit the nail on the head here.

Reaction Score
I blame Malloy. He gave ESPN hundreds of millions, did he even mention UConn?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Perhaps we are boring. No controversies, small town Storrs, likeable 'nice person' coach, no rivalry, team concept first, AAC (nuff said), scholarly players, etc...

This might be the first time I've ever heard this about UCONN. The NCAA will find something. Just give it time.

Reaction Score
I don't like it but I understand it. KY and Duke have bigger fan bases. ESPN is a worldwide sports network. People in Texas, LA, Chicago, etc don't want to hear about UConn basketball. We'll get the coverage when we win. They're concerned about nationwide ratings through coverage of all sports, this isn't the local NBC CT affiliate.

I love hearing about UConn Basketball :D

Reaction Score
I started a recent thread that was yawned at about us deserving to get an ESPN special for the dual second time around as Duke, Kansas, or Kentucky would surely have. Unless we're playing someone big we are not on the A list as they would be.
What seems to be important for us though is that recruits and their coaches know what's really going on with our program. The underdog and disrespect thing can work to a point but as we keep piling on championships it gets tougher to sell.

Reaction Score
I don't understand why people beg ESPN for attention, or feel like ESPN's headquarters in CT has anything to do with how they should cover our school.

If they were located in New York, would you think Syracuse should get more attention than they already get? DC and Georgetown?

What if they were headquartered in Providence?

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I know of at least 1 'yarder who makes content decisions for ESPN, is a UConn alum and loves when he gets the opportunity to direct UConn content. We do get our fair share of coverage even if it pales in comparison to say the dedicated UNC Blog. It is a business after all.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I don't understand why people beg ESPN for attention, or feel like ESPN's headquarters in CT has anything to do with how they should cover our school.

If they were located in New York, would you think Syracuse should get more attention than they already get? DC and Georgetown?

Your point stand, but do people in NY really care about Syracuse?

I kid, I kid.

Reaction Score

What if they were headquartered in Providence?

In Providence? They would've folded by now.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom