Men - At what point ... we have got to stop Benedict puffery | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Men At what point ... we have got to stop Benedict puffery

Reaction Score
There is a chance to find that picture, not sure how good. The UConn library used to have microfilm copies of old newspapers of that time period, including editions of the Hartford Courant and the Daily Campus. I know because many, many years ago I spent a little time going through that microfilm of both the Courant and Daily Campus looking up events from that time. I have no idea if this microfilm still exists, but I suppose there is a chance that this microfilm might have also been digitalized. Obviously, someone would need to have the time to check this out with the library. I think the date of the field hockey national championship game was November 22, so based on what was said before, the photo was in the following Monday edition of the Daily Campus.
here you go, 11/23/81 - Connecticut Digital Archive | Connect. Preserve. Share

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Jumping in and celebrating is a great move. What is the chances, we can find that picture
Ask and you shall receive:

1629854791297.png

That's Ed and me in the back looking at each other right before we ran out on the field.

Link - this is a great resource

Reaction Score
I attended soccer games in the Franz Innocent, Hunter brother days. While I agree with the sentiment of the original post, I think Reid gets a couple of more years. But he should be on a short lease.

Reaction Score
Your right, I must have walked right by you. Thats crazy. Who would have thought we would be discussing that day or specifically that picture almost 40 years after.
I thank God everyday for “The Boneyard “.
Tried to post a sarcasm emoji with my last sentence, but it didn’t work

Reaction Score
Ask and you shall receive:

View attachment 69418

That's Ed and me in the back looking at each other right before we ran out on the field.

Link - this is a great resource
That is a great resource. Look on page 9 where Huskies is advertising a new 25 inch screen to watch Monday Night Football. And the concerts (page 5) at ROTC for $3 with bands like the Good Rats and beer. Brings back great memories. I can't really make out the pictures in the photo of you and Ed but nice to have that memory. Hard to believe they played a National Championship game on that field.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I attended soccer games in the Franz Innocent, Hunter brother days. While I agree with the sentiment of the original post, I think Reid gets a couple of more years. But he should be on a short lease.
I think a couple years might be too many. The transfers are concerning as is the recent record. Much like with RE, there needs to be progress this year. Our facilities are too good to have a mediocre coach at the helm, and that's what RR is at the moment.

Reaction Score

I've been under the impression that Ray Reid wanted to coach a full season at the new soccer stadium before retiring. I don't have any inside info on this, I'm just guessing on this one. Last year wouldn't really count, especially since he was away from the team dealing with family issues, plus the UConn soccer season was rather truncated.

Reaction Score
He has a dumpster fire in our first most renowned program ... UCONN Men's Soccer ... and he doesn't seem to care. yeah yeah Ray Reid is a respected National Coach yada yada. But, Morrone had a Program ... a Plan ... I was eager to see the incoming player and the transition through the years. The mix of athletes made sense ... not throwing a net in world circles and taking transfers. Where is the development ... where is the formerly strong alumni and former player buzz ... and how many years can we take BS

So ... no. I am not interested in another podcast with Benedict on all things mbb wbb football etc. Fix the fire.

How about, nobody gives a crap about college soccer. It’s a developmental dead end with few and far between pro prospects. The MLS draft is a non event. You can literally get a first round draft pick for a box of condoms.

Reaction Score
How about, nobody gives a crap about college soccer. It’s a developmental dead end with few and far between pro prospects. The MLS draft is a non event. You can literally get a first round draft pick for a box of condoms.

How many pros come out of MBB? I mean top level NBA? How many go to the NFL from UCONN?

We ARE college sports fans. Who cares about your wormy little concerns; we can all hope the best Connecticut child soccer players go to some Barcelona or Leicester City development program at age 8. Perhaps the silliest post in awhile from you

Reaction Score
How many pros come out of MBB? I mean top level NBA? How many go to the NFL from UCONN?

We ARE college sports fans. Who cares about your wormy little concerns; we can all hope the best Connecticut child soccer players go to some Barcelona or Leicester City development program at age 8. Perhaps the silliest post in awhile from you

I can’t think of a team sport more inconsequential. Sure college soccer doesn’t send people to Barcelona, but they aren’t sending anyone to Columbus either.

Reaction Score
I can’t think of a team sport more inconsequential. Sure college soccer doesn’t send people to Barcelona, but they aren’t sending anyone to Columbus either.
The best goalie in the MLS is a Husky.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I didn’t know Tim Melia went to UConn.

Matt Turner would like a word.
Meanwhile @CL82 has a point
Ranking the Top 7 MLS Goalkeepers in the 2021 Season | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

UConn soccer was a huge part of the campus experience when I was there 1984-88. Don Donigan was the man. Still had all American players back then, although our chief rival, Seton Hall, used a lot of Irish players (some of whom were very good). Morrone's reluctance to change his recruiting or tactics spelled his eventual decline. UConn soccer should be better than this, there is no reason we can't be a top 25 team again.

Reaction Score
Matt Turner would like a word.
Meanwhile @CL82 has a point
Ranking the Top 7 MLS Goalkeepers in the 2021 Season | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

UConn soccer was a huge part of the campus experience when I was there 1984-88. Don Donigan was the man. Still had all American players back then, although our chief rival, Seton Hall, used a lot of Irish players (some of whom were very good). Morrone's reluctance to change his recruiting or tactics spelled his eventual decline. UConn soccer should be better than this, there is no reason we can't be a top 25 team again.

UConn men's soccer was one of the top college soccer programs in the country for many years, even under the much maligned Ray Reid. The combination of a long stretch of making the NCAA Tournament plus always being among the leaders in college soccer attendance for many years as well is a worthy heritage to be quite proud of if you are a Husky fan.

Reaction Score
I noticed our women's soccer team got pasted by BC 4-1 Sunday. This would have been unheard of 15 years ago. With all these big fancy athletic facilities on campus now this slog backwards needs to stop. We are living off basketball and field hockey the last 10 years with little help elsewhere. We hired Auriemma and Calhoun in a span of year. Ask yourself, what truly great coaching hires are we making the last 20 years across the department? Umass won an men's hockey title this past year. BC won a women's lacrosse. Northeastern played for the women's hockey championship. We will soon have better facilities. Why not aim for higher in these sports and fix the men's and women's soccer deep slide?

If we are going to raise the white flag and field an incomprehensibly bad football team for going on a decade, you better make sure historically strong programs that made us one of the top 20 athletic programs in the country didn't go in the sh *tter. Or build new top programs across the department. We are doing neither.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I noticed our women's soccer team got pasted by BC 4-1 Sunday. This would have been unheard of 15 years ago. With all these big fancy athletic facilities on campus now this slog backwards needs to stop. We are living off basketball and field hockey the last 10 years with little help elsewhere. We hired Auriemma and Calhoun in a span of year. Ask yourself, what truly great coaching hires are we making the last 20 years across the department? Umass won an men's hockey title this past year. BC won a women's lacrosse. Northeastern played for the women's hockey championship. We will soon have better facilities. Why not aim for higher in these sports and fix the men's and women's soccer deep slide?

If we are going to raise the white flag and field an incomprehensibly bad football team for going on a decade, you better make sure historically strong programs that made us one of the top 20 athletic programs in the country didn't go in the sh *tter. Or build new top programs across the department. We are doing neither.

Best UConn head coaching hire in the last 20 years has got to be baseball and Jim Penders. I doubt anyone else comes close. He really turned the baseball program around, and before last season the team played on a field that was pretty below standard for a quality college baseball program.

Reaction Score
4212 attended the Bryant game last week! 5300 seating capacity at the new stadium.

Reaction Score
it's all kind of things. Marketing? Not producing a reliable schedule until weeks before the first game; no announcements or twitter on recruiting; no engagement with the community - which is in stark contrast to Morrone; and just the general diminishment of our place Nationally. 5000 can be regular attendance. We need new energy and focus. Like? Yeah ... baseball or hockey where they scramble for fans and built a damn fanbase.

Reaction Score
Another stellar weekend in David Benedict's Connecticut.

Field Hockey: Rutgers- 2 UConn- 1
Men's Soccer: Rhode Island- 1 UConn- 0

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom