Men - At what point ... we have got to stop Benedict puffery | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Men At what point ... we have got to stop Benedict puffery

Reaction Score
He said out FIRST most renowned program. He would be correct in that statement. The '81 team was considered America's team. I remember watching it on ESPN.
As for the product, I think it's more than a drought but not quite a dumpster fire. My brother has been a season ticket holder since college (81 grad) and he is very disillusioned with the product and does not attend games like he once did. Teams can never afford to alienate their core fan base. The results haven't been good for what seems like forever (they had a good record in 2018). The transfer numbers are way up and there is very little development going on. I have always disliked his reliance on foreign players, but I guess that's because I remember when UConn was stacked with CT players. The time for a change has come. We need someone to rebuild our program and with the facilities and history we have, it should be an easy sell.
We've had 1 tournament appearance and 1 tournament win in the last 6 years (2014-2019).
His 20+ year run needs to come to an end.
Foreign players used to a joke at UConn. I remember games at UConn where the announcer would introduce kids like Joe Smith from Albany, NY United States of America...All players were US citizens. They would introduce the other teams players the same way. Big boo or something when a player was introduced Joe Smith from Liverpool. England.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Foreign players used to a joke at UConn. I remember games at UConn where the announcer would introduce kids like Joe Smith from Albany, NY United States of America...All players were US citizens. They would introduce the other teams players the same way. Big boo or something when a player was introduced Joe Smith from Liverpool. England.
Alabama A&M was in a way the model for what we became, mostly foreign. That's part of the reason, I believe, that we were considered America's Team at the time.

Reaction Score
1977 Hartwick NCAA champs, goalie - Aly Anderson from England. his backup - Mike Blundell, Wilton, CT

Reaction Score
Alabama A&M was in a way the model for what we became, mostly foreign. That's part of the reason, I believe, that we were considered America's Team at the time.

San Francisco. I swear they had a totally African + South American forward and midfield ... and Norwegians in the back.

This points out - to Benedict - what we have missed and why this is important. It is no longer Hartwick, San Francisco, Saint Louis, Alabama AM&N leading the NCAA soccer ... it is Virginia, Clemson, UCLA. We belong. We have the great facilities now ... we should recruit at the top level. Like hoop - WBB and MBB

Reaction Score
San Francisco. I swear they had a totally African + South American forward and midfield ... and Norwegians in the back.

This points out - to Benedict - what we have missed and why this is important. It is no longer Hartwick, San Francisco, Saint Louis, Alabama AM&N leading the NCAA soccer ... it is Virginia, Clemson, UCLA. We belong. We have the great facilities now ... we should recruit at the top level. Like hoop - WBB and MBB
I didn't realize how successful UConn has been in men's soccer until I looked at the following link.

They are among only 11 schools who have won 2 or more championships. Besides 1981 and 2000, they also won prior to the NCAA in 1948. They are in the top 5 with 35 appearances in the tournament.

Reaction Score
I didn't realize how successful UConn has been in men's soccer until I looked at the following link.

They are among only 11 schools who have won 2 or more championships. Besides 1981 and 2000, they also won prior to the NCAA in 1948. They are in the top 5 with 35 appearances in the tournament.

And under Ray Reid UConn men's soccer until recently had a long run of making the NCAA tournament. I believe the team made the NCAA tourney every season from 1998 to 2013, with additional appearances in 2015 and 2018. And many would also point out that the team often was an upset victim in the NCAA tournament during this time as well.

However, post season tournament appearances for UConn men's soccer have been drying up under Reid since the end of the consecutive NCAA tournament runs in 2013, with only those two further appearances in 2015 and 2018. UConn men's soccer has high standards that have not been met in recent seasons. One could definitely argue from this track record that Reid's better days seem to be behind him at this point in his career.

Reaction Score
I thought women’s basketball was UConn’s most renowned program? 11 National Championships. It put Storrs on the map. What planet do you live on? Men’s soccer has seen better years, but come on. They were strong in the early 80’s IIRC, and the 2000 NC, and did well for several years after. They do have nice facilities though. Men’s soccer not doing well is not a dumpster fire, I would just call it a drought.

Jim Calhoun put Storrs on the map and it isn't even close.

Reaction Score
The Daily Campus used to keep a broken clipboard count. The stands would be full of high school soccer teams.

1629481756734.png

Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun put Storrs on the map and it isn't even close.

Close your eyes. It is the 1970s and disco is just starting. As a college student, sports minded guys rarely went to UCONN Football in the Fall; UCONN MBB was not a religion & UCONN WBB was just for family and friends ... and maybe a cute girl you'd like to date (which I did in 1979).

No Brand School. And we had just joined the Big East. We weren't outclassed the first 2 years; but soon would be under Perno. OUR sports identity was Soccer. We packed cars and went to Providence (to see us beat Brown) or Oneonta (to see us and Hartwick).

It wasn't a surprise to me when someone mentioned that UCONN Soccer had led the nation in attendance in an incredible number of years. All that is gone ... probably for over 10 years. That is the lack of energy in the HC. Benedict has no reference point to those days. Until someone gave him a check.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I thought women’s basketball was UConn’s most renowned program? 11 National Championships. It put Storrs on the map. What planet do you live on? Men’s soccer has seen better years, but come on. They were strong in the early 80’s IIRC, and the 2000 NC, and did well for several years after. They do have nice facilities though. Men’s soccer not doing well is not a dumpster fire, I would just call it a drought.
I remember when the old soccer field faced east to west, no stands just team benches. Cars pulled up to the side lines.
UConn soccer was a force and was awarded the NC in 1948 and won the 1st NC in UConn athletic history in 1981
Too bad so many of you youngsters don't understand the history of UConn athletics - there's more that Geno, JC and the basketball programs
Snarky people ask what planet people reside

Reaction Score
I believe they were a few games with over 9,000 fans in the late '70s before the stadium was reconfigured.

p. 56 of the 2020 Media Guide highlights more recent attendance, https://s3.amazonaws.com/uconnhuski.../1/22/2020_UConn_Men_s_Soccer_Media_Guide.pdf, ranking first in total and average attendance in 2017 and 2018

I distinctly remember a game versus National Power - Saint Louis University (who had a famous coach named Harry Keough) - where they played in Memorial Stadium. It was packed. So ... I don't think they announced ticket sales to regularly back then. I would opine that was a 14,000 or so crowd. While I get off my Hurricane Henri watch ... I will google around

EDIT - September 14, 1975 - lost in OT 2-1. Was in the NY Times for one of the first interregional soccer games ever

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I remember when the old soccer field faced east to west, no stands just team benches. Cars pulled up to the side lines.
UConn soccer was a force and was awarded the NC in 1948 and won the 1st NC in UConn athletic history in 1981
Too bad so many of you youngsters don't understand the history of UConn athletics - there's more that Geno, JC and the basketball programs
Snarky people ask what planet people reside

Actually, to be perfectly technical about it, field hockey won the first NCAA national championship for UConn 1981, about two weeks before UConn men's soccer won the national championship.

Reaction Score
Actually, to be perfectly technical about it, field hockey won the first NCAA national championship for UConn 1981, about two weeks before UConn men's soccer won the national championship.
I actually went to that game. Could not and still don’t understand all the rules of Field Hockey. Seemed like the referees were blowing their whistles every 2 minutes.
The game was in field on side of Memorial football stadium. Boy has UConn facilities changed since then.

Reaction Score
I actually went to that game. Could not and still don’t understand all the rules of Field Hockey. Seemed like the referees were blowing their whistles every 2 minutes.
The game was in field on side of Memorial football stadium. Boy has UConn facilities changed since then.

I was a student at the time, and I recall walking down the street and seeing the game going on. I had read the Daily Campus the day before, so I knew it was the national championship game. I ended up watching the second half from the hill across the street from the field. At the time, I had no idea I was watching UConn win its first NCAA national championship in any sport. And to this day it remains the only field hockey game that I have ever seen in person.

Reaction Score
I was a student at the time, and I recall walking down the street and seeing the game going on. I had read the Daily Campus the day before, so I knew it was the national championship game. I ended up watching the second half from the hill across the street from the field. At the time, I had no idea I was watching UConn win its first NCAA national championship in any sport. And to this day it remains the only field hockey game that I have ever seen in person.

Reaction Score
I basically had same experience. Lived off campus and knew about game by reading the Daily Campus ( loved that newspaper). Could not convince anyone to come with me. That is the one and only field hockey game I ever attended.
Actually next day they had a picture of team celebrating in the Daily Campus. The picture was taken as I was walking away to my car. So I made the paper for our First national championship. So I got that going for me. LOL

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I basically had same experience. Lived off campus and knew about game by reading the Daily Campus ( loved that newspaper). Could not convince anyone to come with me. That is the one and only field hockey game I ever attended.
Actually next day they had a picture of team celebrating in the Daily Campus. The picture was taken as I was walking away to my car. So I made the paper for our First national championship. So I got that going for me. LOL
My roommate and I are in that picture as well. We were just coming back from the gym and saw the crowd so we stopped to watch what turned out to be the least few minutes. When the game ended and the players ran out on the field, we looked at each other for a second and then ran out in the middle of it jumping up and down hugging players and cheering. We had no idea what had happened saw the article in the paper the next day.

By the way, that was the first NCAA women’s championship in any sport. Small world that the three of us were there.

Reaction Score

Boy, does this bring back memories. Living in the DC area at the time (following graduation in '72) and still an avid UConn soccer fan, I kept my eyes open for talent in that area for Coach Morrone (not Moreno as the video says). Two players in that game were Northern Virginia guys I turned him on to - Eric Myren (game MVP) and Jim D'Orsaneo (GWG). Matt Addington was another recruit from the area, but he might have been a year away. Since ESPN was in its infancy at the time and cable was pretty much non-existent in the Washington area, the D'Orsanseo's, the Myren's and myself tried to find a bar or restaurant that had a dish and a wide TV (projector) screen to watch the game. We finally found one - I think in Arlington) who agreed to let us watch the game there (I think it was on a Sunday) as long as we promised to order food and drinks there. The picture was horribly fuzzy and, as I recall, the announcer kept mispronouncing Jim D'Osaneo's name as door-sa-NAY-oh, rather than door-SAH-knee-oh. But, oh what a feeling when Jim D scored that goal. His folks didn't even realize it was him until a few seconds later. What a happy room of friends and family.

Reaction Score
My freshman year (1968) was the final year as head soccer coach for the legendary John Squires, who had been there since 1937, except one year during WWII (1942) and the 1943-45 seasons, which were cancelled. Squires had to stand on a platform and use a megaphone to be heard during practice. He seemed so much older to a 17 year old freshman, but he was only 56 when he retired. Games were played on the field in front of Hawley Armory before a few family and friends. Joe Morrone took over for the 1969 season and many thought he wouldn't last. He was demanding, loud and required short haircuts in the hippie days. (As did baseball coach Larry Panciera, for that matter.) Fast forward to 2021, and the UConn soccer program has had a total of three head coaches in 84 years (except the war years). I don't think many college programs in any sport can claim that kind of longevity. The baseball program isn't far behind - four coaches since 1936 (85 years) - JO Christian (1936-61), Larry Panciera ('62-79), Andy Baylock ('80-2003) and Jim Penders (2004-date).

Reaction Score
My roommate and I are in that picture as well. We were just coming back from the gym and saw the crowd so we stopped to watch what turned out to be the least few minutes. When the game ended and the players ran out on the field, we looked at each other for a second and then ran out in the middle of it jumping up and down hugging players and cheering. We had no idea what had happened saw the article in the paper the next day.

By the way, that was the first NCAA women’s championship in any sport. Small world that the three of us were there.

Plus, we have determined in past discussions on the Boneyard about being at the1981 field hockey national championship game that I am not your roommate from that time.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Plus, we have determined in past discussions on the Boneyard about being at the1981 field hockey national championship game that I am not your roommate from that time.
I was going to refer to you as "Ed" but I feel like it annoyed you. ;)

[shrugs]

Reaction Score

Jumping in and celebrating is a great move. What is the chances, we can find that picture

Reaction Score
Jumping in and celebrating is a great move. What is the chances, we can find that picture

There is a chance to find that picture, not sure how good. The UConn library used to have microfilm copies of old newspapers of that time period, including editions of the Hartford Courant and the Daily Campus. I know because many, many years ago I spent a little time going through that microfilm of both the Courant and Daily Campus looking up events from that time. I have no idea if this microfilm still exists, but I suppose there is a chance that this microfilm might have also been digitalized. Obviously, someone would need to have the time to check this out with the library. I think the date of the field hockey national championship game was November 22, so based on what was said before, the photo was in the following Monday edition of the Daily Campus.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom