At UConn, Opportunity Whispers for the Coach Who Replaced Calhoun | The Boneyard

At UConn, Opportunity Whispers for the Coach Who Replaced Calhoun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Another day, another article highlighting the issue:

Ollie, who had never been a head coach, signed a one-year contract that expires in April. And Manuel’s coming decision — whether to extend Ollie’s deal or open a national coaching search for a replacement — has become the awkward and unavoidable story line trailing Ollie’s every move since, pinned to his blazer like a scarlet letter.
He added: “I love what I see. But I want to continue to watch him and watch the team. At the appropriate time, I’ll make a decision.”
Manuel’s wait-and-see approach has been criticized by some coaches, including Michigan State’s Tom Izzo and Louisville’s Rick Pitino, and seized upon by others. Ollie said his contract situation had already been used against him on the recruiting trail, where he must sell the program with no assurances he will still be manning it.
“Basically what it’s saying is Connecticut isn’t confident in him,” said Evan Daniels, the national recruiting analyst for Fox Sports. “They’re not providing him with stability. To be honest with you, I think that’s completely unfair to him.”
Ultimately, though, it is Manuel’s decision. He said he was well aware of the criticism and the potential for harm in recruiting (the early signing period began Nov. 14). But replacing Calhoun, who won 866 games and three national titles with UConn before retiring in September, is not a task simply anyone can step in and do.
“I had to weigh that possibility — it hurting us this year in recruiting, or maybe some kids delaying their decisions — with the fact that I’d never seen Kevin as a head coach,” he said.
Manuel added: “I understand the angst that a recruit would have. What I’ve said to them is we’re going to make a decision for UConn that we believe and I believe keeps us winning Big East championships and competing for national championships.”
The roster that is left for Ollie is devoid of the typically towering frontcourt presences of Connecticut’s past.

The sound you just heard was Huskymaniac's head exploding.

Reaction Score
I have to say "knowing" it will hurt recruiting is mind boggling.........as good as any coach is, he gets better with more talent. To but KO behind the 8 ball knowing kids are having a tough time heading his way because of uncertainty can set him back 1-2 years.........I get Manuel's focus here but at some point he will need to pull the trigger before it's too late. If he waits too long then extends but KO does not have the players he needs to compete his decision won't look all that good for a year or 2 either!!

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Can someone so far removed from the reality of recruiting actually be the Athletic Director at a big time University.

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
I read this as Manual saying, "I intend to hire one basketball coach in the next 25 years. If my due diligence hurts recruiting for 1 of those 25 years, I'm good with that."

No question in my mind that it hurts recruiting the '13 class. The question I have is how much it negatively impacts the '14 and even '15 classes even if he gets a long term dealt this winter or spring.

Reaction Score
I read this as Manual saying, "I intend to hire one basketball coach in the next 25 years. If my due diligence hurts recruiting for 1 of those 25 years, I'm good with that."

This isn't the NBA, there is no draft. The college hoops world is littered with schools that used to be champions.

This is such a cavalier approach to the world of college basketball. UConn has a lot more going for it than Oklahoma, Arkansas, UNLV and Houston, but why mess around? What would it have hurt to give the guy a 3 year 1.8m contract with a buyout?

Pennywise, pound foolish.

Reaction Score
This isn't the NBA, there is no draft. The college hoops world is littered with schools that used to be champions.

This is such a cavalier approach to the world of college basketball. UConn has a lot more going for it than Oklahoma, Arkansas, UNLV and Houston, but why mess around? What would it have hurt to give the guy a 3 year 1.8m contract with a buyout?

Pennywise, pound foolish.

You said it yourself, why mess around? Manuel needs to be sure that he makes the best decision.

I love Kevin Ollie, and want him to be the next coach here, but if Shaka or some other big time coach is available in the spring, Warde would be doing the school a major disservice to not even be able to explore that possibility.

We still don't know how good Ollie is as a coach.

Reaction Score
You said it yourself, why mess around? Manuel needs to be sure that he makes the best decision.

I love Kevin Ollie, and want him to be the next coach here, but if Shaka or some other big time coach is available in the spring, Warde would be doing the school a major disservice to not even be able to explore that possibility.

Shaka is a bigtime coach now?

I don't think you understood what I wrote. Read again. If Ollie has a bad year, you fire him. Simple as that.

I don't know why so many people here can't understand this simple point.

Reaction Score

I don't think you understood what I wrote. Read again. If Ollie has a bad year, you fire him. Simple as that.

Not sure how that would go over either. WM is between a rock and hard place, but your suggestion of a 3yr with a buyout is a good compromise.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
True. The question is whether we will know any better within the next few months, given the limited roster, post-season ban and recruiting handcuffs.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Not sure how that would go over either. WM is between a rock and hard place, but your suggestion of a 3yr with a buyout is a good compromise.

Manuel has been asked a lot of questions about his interim contract, wait-and-see approach. Upstater, me and many others have suggested this approach from the start. Obviously, I'm not expecting our AD or anyone else to look to this board for input, but I would love to hear someone from the media ask Manuel why he did not go this route. I simply cannot think of one valid reason not to do this.

Reaction Score
Ollie has it bad, even UConn fans aren't sure if he's the right coach. Legit but troublesome nonetheless. Not good for Coach, in fact I guess there will always be some wishing for greener grass.

He's true blood UConn, inexperienced as a coach but more experienced in basketball than many coaches. That alone should help some fans, but it won't. No matter what happens here, Ollie will be coaching somewhere, he's already got the attention of the college basketball community. I still wonder how fans say it hurts us with him as our coach and not Smart or others. Smart and others doesn't have a HOF mentor on speed dial.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
My suspicion is that Manuel knows he has to give Ollie the extension -- and that he always wanted to give Ollie the extension -- but that he didn't and doesn't want to look like a pushover. And I suspect that he wants to wait long enough to make it seem like he thoughtfully considered this. The bottom line is that what he and everyone else saw in the game against Michigan State was enough to give him a long-term deal, because at the end of the day the decision was never going to be based on Wins and Losses but rather on how professionally he conducts himself and if gets his kids to play hard. It's impossible for KO to show just how good a coach he is this year as far as what he can do with a really talented team, because this team isn't one (we have talent, but it's not sufficiently distributed between the back-court and the front-court).

WM needs to just make the call. You can tell from the opinions on this board that only a small minority of people will think he rushed it.

I happen to think that it hasn't really cost us all that much (had Facey reneged, I would be singing a different tune), but the longer it drags out, the more potential for greater damage.

p.s. I really like Shaka Smart a lot. I do think he has worlds of potential. And he has done what KO has not -- had success as a head coach in the NCAAs Tournament. But I think Kevin has worlds of potential, too. And I think it's nuts to consider alienating Kevin and the loads of people supporting him because of some potential we get Smart or someone else (the Stevens argument is a joke, IMO, and the notion that Sean Miller is rushing here is also a joke -- and that's not IMO, that's fact).

Reaction Score
My suspicion is that Manuel knows he has to give Ollie the extension -- and that he always wanted to give Ollie the extension -- but that he didn't and doesn't want to look like a pushover. And I suspect that he wants to wait long enough to make it seem like he thoughtfully considered this. The bottom line is that what he and everyone else saw in the game against Michigan State was enough to give him a long-term deal, because at the end of the day the decision was never going to be based on Wins and Losses but rather on how professionally he conducts himself and if gets his kids to play hard. It's impossible for KO to show just how good a coach he is this year as far as what he can do with a really talented team, because this team isn't one (we have talent, but it's not sufficiently distributed between the back-court and the front-court).

WM needs to just make the call. You can tell from the opinions on this board that only a small minority of people will think he rushed it.

I happen to think that it hasn't really cost us all that much (had Facey reneged, I would be singing a different tune), but the longer it drags out, the more potential for greater damage.

p.s. I really like Shaka Smart a lot. I do think he has worlds of potential. And he has done what KO has not -- had success as a head coach in the NCAAs Tournament. But I think Kevin has worlds of potential, too. And I think it's nuts to consider alienating Kevin and the loads of people supporting him because of some potential we get Smart or someone else (the Stevens argument is a joke, IMO, and the notion that Sean Miller is rushing here is also a joke -- and that's not IMO, that's fact).

Well well well :D hmmm... Not bad there Nomar.

I think the NY Times article was well written.

Reaction Score

He's a top 15 coach, which to me means that he is big time.

You're advocating for a 3 year contract. That means you're missing out on the possibility of knowing what's out there. And Manuel is not going to fire him for "having a bad year". How many guys out there have been fired because of one bad year?

Again, I think Ollie's going to be a good coach, but he's an unknown. And it would be a mistake to completely cut off the opportunity to know the other possibilities.

If that means we lose out on Brandon Austin, then so be it. This is a long term decision, not a 2013 recruiting class decision.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Shaka Smart isn't as good as advertised.

Reaction Score
Shaka Smart isn't as good as advertised.

In three years he's been to a final four, won 75% of his games, and was a shot away from going to the sweet 16 last year. And he's done all of that at VCU.

Reaction Score
He's a top 15 coach, which to me means that he is big time.

You're advocating for a 3 year contract. That means you're missing out on the possibility of knowing what's out there. And Manuel is not going to fire him for "having a bad year". How many guys out there have been fired because of one bad year?

Again, I think Ollie's going to be a good coach, but he's an unknown. And it would be a mistake to completely cut off the opportunity to know the other possibilities.

If that means we lose out on Brandon Austin, then so be it. This is a long term decision, not a 2013 recruiting class decision.

I can name 15 better off the back of my hand.

You're missing out on a lot more than Austin. You're missing on continuity of the UConn brand.

You fire him after 1 year if he's not capable of running a bigtime program. If he is capable, then he's the best candidate, for obvious reasons.

It's not a long-term decision.

You guys act like Manuel is going to find another Calhoun. He's not. Coaches are fired all the time.

Reaction Score
In three years he's been to a final four, won 75% of his games, and was a shot away from going to the sweet 16 last year. And he's done all of that at VCU.

So has Jim Laranagga!!! At GMU.

Reaction Score
I can name 15 better off the back of my hand.

You're missing out on a lot more than Austin. You're missing on continuity of the UConn brand.

You fire him after 1 year if he's not capable of running a bigtime program. If he is capable, then he's the best candidate, for obvious reasons.

It's not a long-term decision.

You guys act like Manuel is going to find another Calhoun. He's not. Coaches are fired all the time.

1. Name them.

2. I don't really know what that means. How does giving Ollie a 3 year contract vs a 1 year contract help out with the "continuity of the UConn brand"?

3. Wouldn't you want to have every option available to you before making a huge decision like this?

Reaction Score
So has Jim Laranagga!!! At GMU.

Uh, Jim Larranaga was 47-40 in his first three years at George Mason with one NCAA tournament appearance where they lost in the first round.

Larranaga didn't even have a career winning record until his 6th season as a coach.

Reaction Score
Uh, Jim Larranaga was 47-40 in his first three years at George Mason with one NCAA tournament appearance where they lost in the first round.

Larranaga didn't even have a career winning record until his 6th season as a coach.

I'm saying, Laranagga made the F4, had a good stretch there. This was not a BCS conference, so... is 75% all that impressive in such a conference?

Smart last year lost to Drexel, Georgia St., GMU, lots of bad losses the previous year as well. I give him credit, that's not a strong conference, but he did well that 1 year in the F4. But there have been lots of 1 hit wonders over the years. I wonder about his style of play, mostly. It seems gimmicky to me. That inside out stuff may work as an unorthodox style in the tourney, when teams aren't used to it, but what happens in a bigtime conference.

Reaction Score
1. Name them.

2. I don't really know what that means. How does giving Ollie a 3 year contract vs a 1 year contract help out with the "continuity of the UConn brand"?

3. Wouldn't you want to have every option available to you before making a huge decision like this?

1. Izzo, Donovan, K., Self, Dixon, Miller, Calipari, Pitino, Stevens, Ryan, Matta, Montgomery, Huggins, Beilein, Few, Crean, Brey, etc. I'm sure there are many more.

2. I was responding to this: "That means you're missing out on the possibility of knowing what's out there." By UConn brand, I was referring to Calhoun and all the NBA players.

3. See #2.

Reaction Score
I'm saying, Laranagga made the F4, had a good stretch there. This was not a BCS conference, so... is 75% all that impressive in such a conference?

Smart last year lost to Drexel, Georgia St., GMU, lots of bad losses the previous year as well. I give him credit, that's not a strong conference, but he did well that 1 year in the F4. But there have been lots of 1 hit wonders over the years. I wonder about his style of play, mostly. It seems gimmicky to me. That inside out stuff may work as an unorthodox style in the tourney, when teams aren't used to it, but what happens in a bigtime conference.

I agree that it may not work all the time in a big conference, but they just beat Memphis by 13 and they were right there with Duke and Missouri.

Mark Few, who is considered to be one of the great coaches in the game, has won about 79% of his games at Gonzaga, and the WCC is not as good as the CAA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom