At Mr. Rexs Birthday this afternoon and some thoughts on Todays game | The Boneyard

At Mr. Rexs Birthday this afternoon and some thoughts on Todays game

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
My daughter had a Birthday party for her chiwawa Mr Rex. He was 15 today and Im the grandpa so me and grandma attendedrand I taped the game. My priorities in life are in this order God Family Work Play. So I was there for her and her/our dog. Now some thoughts on the game. We had alot of rust in the first qtr but we've got Paige and OMG she is the spitten image of Diana. Geno made some adjustments and we were fine. How many other teams could sit 4 starters and run up the score. Aubrey was terrific. Anna looked really good off the bench. Nika is a really really good at the point and when her shot comes around and it will shes gonna be better then special. Evina is coming around and looking like there is alot more in her tank then what we see right now. Dont forget she was hurt and its been a while. Liv is getting better game by game and if we can keep playing without cancellations this team is gonna be a monster. With that said I think we're gonna see alot of close games in WCBB that we wouldnt necessarily see due to cancellations and Covid layoffs. Its hard to start and stop and build continunity and your team with that. You saw that in our first qtr. CW had an off day and you know what she will be fine. Shes too good Edwards looked like she had the jitters starting her first game at UConn and thats expected. She was fine later in the game. Mir is gonna be really good and Piath is coming along fine.

Paige can get her shot anytime she wants. I will repeat myself she is so much like Diana by making everyone around her better and its catching on with other players. We can refer to it as the Paige Flu meaning everybody is catching on to it and making passes like Paige. She looks like a senior out there and I can only imagine how good shes gonna be. With that said Azzi Ive been told by people close to her is like Maya Moore. Azzi can do it all too. So Im thinkin we've got Diana and Maya playin together next season and for the next 3 seasons. Now ain't that somethin. Guys and Gals I gotta tell ya now that we're playing a few more games without much time off we're going to mature as a team and when we do we will be back on top of WCBB. We're not there yet and Im kinda glad with all the time off and the rust we've gathered on us that we're not playing a top 5 team yet. We need more games under our belt.

We've got unselfish leaders handleing the ball and theyre unselfish to the point where at times they shouldnt be. Paige is a coach/leader on the court. She can do almost anything she wants to out there. Shes the leader of the pack. She makes passes as the plays develp, and she can get her shot anytime she wants.

Next I would like to see more players shoot better from the floor. We were really good today shooting over 50% again. However we need more 3 pt shooters on a consistent basis. Anna came around today. Evina looked good to. One last thing I would like to see Geno set up a play or two to get Nika some points. I think it would do alot for her confidence. So we'''ve got a bunch of games coming up over the next couple of weeks. That should sharpen us up until then GO HUSKIES

Reaction Score
One observation relative to Nika; I thought she ”just played” today for the first time; a personal, totally subjective opinion gleamed from playing, coaching, scouting, and watching basketball for 6 decades, so I could be way wrong. I think she is going to see more time going forward. You could see her ability to see the floor and opportunities as they develop offensively and her intensity on the defensive side. I will acknowledge her stats were ok, not great, for those who judge players primarily that way.

Reaction Score
Good post, Tony. You are on target. Unfortunately, I fell asleep during the game. Postive posts about Nika, I think, are correct. Once her shot starts falling, she will be a more complete Guard as she does see the floor very well. This team has tremendous potential and next year even more.

Reaction Score
One observation relative to Nika; I thought she ”just played” today for the first time; a personal, totally subjective opinion gleamed from playing, coaching, scouting, and watching basketball for 6 decades, so I could be way wrong. I think she is going to see more time going forward. You could see her ability to see the floor and opportunities as they develop offensively and her intensity on the defensive side. I will acknowledge her stats were ok, not great, for those who judge players primarily that way.

If the season runs its full course the player who will look the most different at the end, IMO, will be Nika. Part of this is getting healthy, which is happening, but wow does her motor run, and she plays with an edge and a toughness that coaches love. Don Meyer (wonderful person & coach) believed that a player always either brought energy to a team, or sucked it away, and Nika is definitely an energy giver. She will be a tough, hard nosed, physical defender and be an unselfish distributor of the ball. Obviously she is pressing at the offensive end, and right now the goal looks like a thimble to her, but that will solve itself in time. She won’t be a high volume scorer, but she won’t have to be to become an integral part of where this team ends up. In my estimation, at season’s end, her stats won’t jump off the page at you, but take her off the team and it would be a major loss.

Reaction Score
If the season runs its full course the player who will look the most different at the end, IMO, will be Nika. Part of this is getting healthy, which is happening, but wow does her motor run, and she plays with an edge and a toughness that coaches love. Don Meyer (wonderful person & coach) believed that a player always either brought energy to a team, or sucked it away, and Nika is definitely an energy giver. She will be a tough, hard nosed, physical defender and be an unselfish distributor of the ball. Obviously she is pressing at the offensive end, and right now the goal looks like a thimble to her, but that will solve itself in time. She won’t be a high volume scorer, but she won’t have to be to become an integral part of where this team ends up. In my estimation, at season’s end, her stats won’t jump off the page at you, but take her off the team and it would be a major loss.

I agree wholeheartedly!!

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
My daughter had a Birthday party for her chiwawa Mr Rex. He was 15 today and Im the grandpa so me and grandma attendedrand I taped the game. My priorities in life are in this order God Family Work Play. So I was there for her and her/our dog. Now some thoughts on the game. We had alot of rust in the first qtr but we've got Paige and OMG she is the spitten image of Diana. Geno made some adjustments and we were fine. How many other teams could sit 4 starters and run up the score. Aubrey was terrific. Anna looked really good off the bench. Nika is a really really good at the point and when her shot comes around and it will shes gonna be better then special. Evina is coming around and looking like there is alot more in her tank then what we see right now. Dont forget she was hurt and its been a while. Liv is getting better game by game and if we can keep playing without cancellations this team is gonna be a monster. With that said I think we're gonna see alot of close games in WCBB that we wouldnt necessarily see due to cancellations and Covid layoffs. Its hard to start and stop and build continunity and your team with that. You saw that in our first qtr. CW had an off day and you know what she will be fine. Shes too good Edwards looked like she had the jitters starting her first game at UConn and thats expected. She was fine later in the game. Mir is gonna be really good and Piath is coming along fine.

Paige can get her shot anytime she wants. I will repeat myself she is so much like Diana by making everyone around her better and its catching on with other players. We can refer to it as the Paige Flu meaning everybody is catching on to it and making passes like Paige. She looks like a senior out there and I can only imagine how good shes gonna be. With that said Azzi Ive been told by people close to her is like Maya Moore. Azzi can do it all too. So Im thinkin we've got Diana and Maya playin together next season and for the next 3 seasons. Now ain't that somethin. Guys and Gals I gotta tell ya now that we're playing a few more games without much time off we're going to mature as a team and when we do we will be back on top of WCBB. We're not there yet and Im kinda glad with all the time off and the rust we've gathered on us that we're not playing a top 5 team yet. We need more games under our belt.

We've got unselfish leaders handleing the ball and theyre unselfish to the point where at times they shouldnt be. Paige is a coach/leader on the court. She can do almost anything she wants to out there. Shes the leader of the pack. She makes passes as the plays develp, and she can get her shot anytime she wants.

Next I would like to see more players shoot better from the floor. We were really good today shooting over 50% again. However we need more 3 pt shooters on a consistent basis. Anna came around today. Evina looked good to. One last thing I would like to see Geno set up a play or two to get Nika some points. I think it would do alot for her confidence. So we'''ve got a bunch of games coming up over the next couple of weeks. That should sharpen us up until then GO HUSKIES
@Tonyc , your post was full of info and observations. But I was left wondering what you got Mr Rex for his birthday.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score

For canines, chihuahuas have long lifespans so, hopefully, Rex will be around for a few more UConn national championships.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom