At Long Last- A Connecticut/Tennessee Match-Up? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

At Long Last- A Connecticut/Tennessee Match-Up?

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Could it be that after more than a decade (?) of Tennessee's sneering at UConn, denigrating Geno Auriemma, and refusing to schedule Connecticut, Tennessee might be matched up against Connecticut in the NCAA's?

:eek:

:confused:

So, what was Connecticut's part in this dispute? :cool:

Reaction Score
i'd much rather see the LVs win the SEC tourney and get to play at home in NCAAs as a 4 seed or higher. that will be so tough though given the fact that they did not get a 1st round bye and would have to win 3 games in 3 days with a very short bench. our big problem is we missed out on top recruits with our freshman and sophomore class. we are so limited if DD, Jaime, or Mercedes gets into foul trouble.

Reaction Score
But DD and MR will be gone next year
unless the LVs get to the FF, i don't see them leaving. they both want that so bad for the program and themselves. everyone else in WCBB should be hoping TN makes it to the FF (and no that's not a knock on UCONN. ha) if they come back, then add our freshman class and Cooper as PG, we will be VERY good next year. they would be the best LV team in a decade bar none.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
unless the LVs get to the FF, i don't see them leaving. they both want that so bad for the program and themselves. everyone else in WCBB should be hoping TN makes it to the FF (and no that's not a knock on UCONN. ha) if they come back, then add our freshman class and Cooper as PG, we will be VERY good next year. they would be the best LV team in a decade bar none.
We'll see. One thing to consider about DD - she definitely doesn't need the money. Life might be cushier at Tenn than the WNBA

Reaction Score
Charlie Creme has just listed Tennessee as a likely 6-seed in Connecticut's bracket.

Bracketology with Charlie Creme

Could it be that after more than a decade (?) of Tennessee's sneering at UConn, denigrating Geno Auriemma, and refusing to schedule Connecticut, Tennessee might be matched up against Connecticut in the NCAA's?

Were it to happen, it would be the game for a birth in the Final Four.

I for one would like to see this happen. It's time for Connecticut to show who's the class of basketball.

Hey.......bring 'em on. I would love to blow them out.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I don't see any big deal about playing them... Only Geno and CD are the only ones left in the same positions from 10 years ago...
From reading the other forum... there is a lot of respect for Geno and his coaching success, from a lot of people there.... a few still hate the North as of yet though..:).so for me , it's like just another game. Actually I would like to get those 2 pts back from Stanford more....:(
just keep in mind there's TWO LV forums... VolNation (FREE and fair), then there's The Summitt (pay per view) where all the drama started.

If you're a UConn fan and have a problem with VolNation... you're lucky you can't view what they say about Geno on the Summitt.

Reaction Score
For the past two years Tennessee has been the Jekyll and Hyde of women's basketball..........seems the better the opponent the better they play...........I have serious doubts that this trend would continue against UConn..........too much offense, too much defense, too much Geno................

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Tenn in UConn Bracket. Tenn facing UConn? Welcome to your Nitemare

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Mmm not entirely true. Pat cancelled the series and launched a smear campaign again Geno, the university, some players and their parents. Then once the became irrelevant, they wanted to play again. Geno has said that they need acknowledge that their claims were baseless and apologize to the university and the parents and players they wrongly accused prior to resuming the game. Tennessee has declined to do so.

In the words of the Randy Travis song, at the risk of "diggin' up bones, [and] exhumin' things that are better left alone", I'll remind some of the newer BYers of the history. Those of you who remember the details better, feel free to add or correct.

It was truly a smear campaign, both by innuendo in public by Pat "Ask Geno, he knows.." and back-channel, the Vols filing a complaint with the NCAA, through the SEC conference and through Vanderbilt (so's to not leave their rodent fingerprints on the complaint). The complaint was heavily composed of material lifted from this very forum. One of the moderators from The Summitt, Maria Cornelius, helped provide those excerpts. Specific members of the Boneyard were named in a complaint request to the FBI.

This wasn't just message-board crap. This was a direct attack on the integrity of UConn, Geno, and individual members of this forum, using posts from this forum. Aided and abetted by a moderator of The Summitt. And, Tennessee tried to avoid responsibility then, and continues to do so.

That's why some of us regard Tennessee the way we do.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
well it was "The Boneyard"... but under the "Scout Network"

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
So far we have Creme's thoughts on the brackets. Doesn't mean Tennessee winds up in the Bridgeport bracket. You never know what the selection committee will do because we have seen some crazy stuff over the years.

Reaction Score
I thought it was funny how the talk during the halftime show last night was about the brackets and they said teams are trying to play their way out of uconns bracket. IMO you should want to be in uconns bracket because beating them is the only way to a national championship.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I personally have no use for Tenn. After what they did to try and destroy everything and everybody associated with UConn I will never forget and I will never forgive that institution. Those of us who lived through it know how bad it was. It was ruthless. They did everything possible to destroy and discredit UConn. It was a terrible terrible thing and I have no use for their program. If we have to face them I hope Geno beats them so bad and UConn is so relentless to embarrass them and it wont be enough. Most of you know how I feel about what happened and all these years later its still a sore subject for me. The players at Tenn are not responsible for what Tenn tried to do to UConn and it backfired and it still is back fire-ring. I hope we never play them again.

Reaction Score
Be careful what you wish for. Tennessee has had an up and down season; however, when they're on, they could give the Huskies all they could ask for and more. They have size, athleticism and a potential super star if she could only be consistent, and there is the problem. Diamond, if anything, is not consistent. To LadyVols9, it doesn't matter who you have back next year because UConn will come at every team in waves. They will be so deep that they will run teams into the ground.

Reaction Score
Count me among those who would love to see UConn take on TN, because I think I know what would happen, and it would be all good. That said, there is one downside to playing TN is the distraction factor. Regardless of how much Geno and staff will tell the team that they should treat this game like any other, I suspect the players will have a hard time doing that. If they get too distracted by what I am dead certain will be a full-court publicity press by ESPN ( and everything that goes with it), they could be in rough shape for the Final Four.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom