Astros Punishment Handed Down | The Boneyard

Astros Punishment Handed Down

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Hinchey and Luhnow suspended for a year. Team loses draft picks in 2020 and 2021. Says Cora's punishment is still being decided but it will be severe.

Reaction Score
I'm assuming they'll appeal, but MLB had no choice but to come down hard after drawing a line in the sand on this type of activity a couple of years ago.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
No time to read this yet but did Cora invent this scheme? If so...must get more than a year I would think.

Reaction Score
No time to read this yet but did Cora invent this scheme? If so...must get more than a year I would think.
Cora was the mastermind behind it and then got caught again in Boston. He's getting more than a year

Reaction Score
I don't typically root for people to lose their jobs, but Hinch was such a defiant jerk when it came out that Yankees thought Houston was stealing signs. Hard to feel too badly for him. It will be interesting to see how quickly he finds another managing job as he seemed to be regarded as one of the top managers in MLB. It's not like there's a show-cause situation once his suspension is up.

Reaction Score
In the words of William Shakespeare - "Much Ado About Nothing".

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Cora was the mastermind behind it and then got caught again in Boston. He's getting more than a year
At least 5. Maybe life like Taubman.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I don't get why the Astros team or any other teams would do this where players regularly change teams....how do you not expect to get caught?

In this case an ex-P Mike Fiers spilled the beans.

Reaction Score
Cora is a deadman walking after MLB handed down a yearlong suspension to two gusy who were not directly involved in this fiasco. Boston media is already talking about replacement canidates. I'm not even sure if Cora will be the Red Sox manager when MLB releases that report. Of even greater concern for the Red Sox, espeically with their inetrnal mandate to get under the payroll tax ceiling, is that Houston have also lost 1st and 2nd round draft-picks over the next two seasons. That can really hit a team hard down the road.

Reaction Score
I don't get why the Astros team or any other teams would do this where players regularly change teams....how do you not expect to get caught?

In this case an ex-P Mike Fiers spilled the beans.

Based on the fact that Fiers seems to be catching grief, in some quarters, over spilling the beans on his teammates, I'm guessing the Astros never thought anyone would dime them out.

Reaction Score
Cora's suspension is going to be the most severe. The Commissioner's Statement confirms he was the mastermind behind the whole operation: "Alex Cora began to call the replay review room on the replay phone to obtain sign information... Cora arranged for a video room technician to install a monitor displaying the center field camera feed immediately outside of the Astros dugout."

But not only that, he took the scheme he developed with the Astros and brought that to the Red Sox, as the Statement outlines the same exact Apple Watch testing scheme was used for some time with the Astros, as was exposed in the NYT article last season. This only underscores the fact that he led the scheme and carried it with him as he moved to the Red Sox.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Cora get two+ year suspension, considering he was not just an active participant (something Hinch and Luhnow were not and both got a year), but the mastermind behind it all. Would be extremely hypocritical to see the Commissioner dish out anything equal or less than a year.

Reaction Score
Cora's gone. No surprise there.

I don't often agree with a lot of what ESPN published; but, I do agree that MLB is targeting who they are going after without spreading the blame to those who really ran it - the players, in part due to fear of the Players' Union, and the owners, who continue to profit from these type of actions without taking any of the blame.

Take (vacate) the 2017 World Servies from the Astros and potentially the Red Sox and this stuff stops.

Reaction Score
IMHO what Cora did was much worse than what Pete Rose did. He should be banned for life.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Well the third casualty has happened. Beltran out as Mets manger.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Altuve called his agent to announce he (Altuve) never were an electronic signaling device in a game.

Whew.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom