Asst Coach Job Posting | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Asst Coach Job Posting

Reaction Score
It wasn't that long ago that Uconn coaches were discussing a change in responsibilities and that they were no longer dividing the work by guards and posts. Not sure if anything has changed.
That was by necessity, since both Shea and Jasmine were guard coaches. CD could of course coach the post players, but she handles all the adm. minutiae for the team. It is no accident that once Jamelle came on board in 19-20, Liv’s play drastically improved in a very short period of time.

Reaction Score
I see some wild (but funny) names being thrown around. Why not think out of the box. Lots of Men’s Basketball coaches looking for jobs. For instance, Gregg Marshall, Sean Miller, Richard Pitino. Do you think it’s a coincidence that Roy Williams just retired from UNC?

Last edited:

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I see some wild (but funny) names being thrown around. Why not think out of the box. Lots of Men’s Basketball coaches looking for jobs. For instance, Gregg Marshall, Sean Miller, Richard Pitino. Do you think it’s a coincidence that Roy Williams just retired??
(sarcasm font) - Why yes, let's recycle mens' coaches that have been around forever, have significant baggage attached, instead of hiring someone that is truly qualified for the job.

(serious font) - I hope that WBB doesn't go down the path of MBB, NFL, NBA. There are too many good coaches in or coming up through the ranks, so to recycle/rehabilitate their career for yet another possible issue would be disappointing.

Reaction Score
Isn't the state required to make a post because this is a state job? I'll put my money on Sales if he is looking for a guard coach. If not, then Tamika. Hansmeyer was an assistant at one point. So was Paige Sauer.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Melanie Balcomb checks most of the boxes as well. Vandy (HC) , South Carolina ( Consultant in only Championship Season), Texas Tech (Assistant), Purdue (Assistant), Providence Assistant when the BE was better than any P5), Xavier (Elite 8 appearance). Good offensive mind that definitely elevate SC offense in that one season and good at coaching guards (Jasmine Lister & Christine Foggie) are two examples.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Isn't the state required to make a post because this is a state job? I'll put my money on Sales if he is looking for a guard coach. If not, then Tamika. Hansmeyer was an assistant at one point. So was Paige Sauer.
Yea I can see this job posting more as a CYA requirement than a true solicitation intended to draw many responses. I think Geno had a short list and this description was written to be very restrictive, but not rule out anyone he was interested in. If I remember correctly it also had a very short reply window like a week. He may have an agreement with someone right now, but still has to go thru the formal process of interviewing others even though he knows he won't hire them.

I suspect picking very restrictive criteria is also a strategy regarding compensation. I don't know how much influence Geno has there. Doesn't the university determine the salary not Geno, since it is taxpayers money. An assistant at Uconn expects to be paid far more than assistant elsewhere, and sometimes as much as a head coach at a mediocre school. When Geno wants to pay this new coach way more than assistants at other schools, he needs to come up with ways to justify the difference to the bureaucrats, beyond the obvious success of the program.

So head coaching experience at two Power 5 schools, going far in the tournament and all those other extreme requirements go a long way to justifying the ultimate salary. You note the posting refers to something like pay related to experience. So this may just be bureaucratic gamesmanship.

If that is the scenario, they will try to avoid leaks before the formal application process is over, but an announcement could come shortly thereafter, even if the decision was made well before that. We will see soon.

Reaction Score
I see some wild (but funny) names being thrown around. Why not think out of the box. Lots of Men’s Basketball coaches looking for jobs. For instance, Gregg Marshall, Sean Miller, Richard Pitino. Do you think it’s a coincidence that Roy Williams just retired from UNC?
Pitino was hired by either New Mexico or New Mexico st

Reaction Score
Sherri Coale?
D1282F0B-1398-4237-9506-D888B3EE67AE.jpeg

Reaction Score
Melanie Balcomb checks most of the boxes as well. Vandy (HC) , South Carolina ( Consultant in only Championship Season), Texas Tech (Assistant), Purdue (Assistant), Providence Assistant when the BE was better than any P5), Xavier (Elite 8 appearance). Good offensive mind that definitely elevate SC offense in that one season and good at coaching guards (Jasmine Lister & Christine Foggie) are two examples.
A true Rolling Stone.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
IMHO, Bascomb, Boyle, Coale w/b out of the pay range for this position. I'm still thinking a less experienced assistant coach or a head coach at some of the less visible conferences.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
IMHO, Bascomb, Boyle, Coale w/b out of the pay range for this position. I'm still thinking a less experienced assistant coach or a head coach at some of the less visible conferences.
Depends on what each is looking for next in their careers. UCONN is expect to contend for championships the next 3 years. An assistant coach looking to get back to be being a HC might be willing to take a pay cut to build a resume.

Reaction Score
So head coaching experience at two Power 5 schools, going far in the tournament and all those other extreme requirements go a long way to justifying the ultimate salary. You note the posting refers to something like pay related to experience. So this may just be bureaucratic gamesmanship.

If that is the scenario, they will try to avoid leaks before the formal application process is over, but an announcement could come shortly thereafter, even if the decision was made well before that. We will see soon.

Just coaching experience, not head coaching experience at P5 schools.

Reaction Score
Speaking of assistant coach, the weirdest thing to me, especially in this day and age of social media for younger people, is how Jasmine Lister seems to have vanished completely. No reason to speculate but it's a bit odd. Hope she is happy wherever she is and whatever she is doing.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Don't have a person in mind, but I would like to see a Young under 30 coach that played and/or coached Guards. I'm thinking this, so I might as well write it. The new ass't coach should be a minority candidate but only hired if she is the best candidate. I'm saying She as I don't think Geno would hire a male, but wouldn't care if he did. What we don't know is how long Jamelle will want to continue coaching. From all reports, Jamelle was happy in her new job at UConn and Geno talked her into going back to coaching. Will Jamelle in the next year or two, want to give up the Recruiting Grind and go back to a job that doesn't require the travel that an assistant coaching position requires?

Reaction Score
I guess my desire to have Sue Bird take the guard coaching position is out the window with the requirements. Tamika seems like the most obvious person to me. Wonder if this hasn't been in the pipeline for a while. She sure has proven she can recruit. I don't know for sure as I have not researched it but wonder what her husband does because there is certainly a job opening at UMass Lowell!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom