Asst Coach Job Posting | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Asst Coach Job Posting

Reaction Score
Way off.
Way, way off.
Why would an {unnamed} head coach leave their position of privilege, respect and security and uproot their life to become a assistant coach for a couple of years?
No upside for the {unnamed} candidate.
None.
Especially at the age of 73.

Reaction Score
OK then.

Those are unique schools, she had huge success at Tufts (not Division I) and Princeton has a history as a successful performer in basketball, probably could be called a solid mid-major.

If you want to suggest experience at a school with scholarships and different pressures than in a lower division or the Ivy League, that is a valid statement.

The way you phrase it is seems to downplay the success she has done in those locations.
Not trying to downplay anything...Its like in baseball..a manager can be good at AA or AAA..but can he manage at the MLB level? Tufts and Princeton are fine schools but not the Major League.

Reaction Score
There are hundreds of people who would love a chance to be an assistant for Geno and Uconn and there are plenty of good candidates out there. The Geno coaching tree isn't necessarily a requirement of course but I'm sure it helps.

I would caution against viewing this hire as the heir apparent. There is literally no way to know how long Geno will coach nor what direction the school would go in after his departure. Whoever the coach is, I have confidence the pick will be made thoughtfully and carefully.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I’ve never seen a coaching position listed before so I may be all wet here, but I’m surprised that for a coaching vacancy at a premier school, the position is only open for a week.

I’m also surprised a bit at the P5 requirement.

Which makes me wonder if someone has already been pegged for the job and the university is going through legal requirements.

Reaction Score
I’ve never seen a coaching position listed before so I may be all wet here, but I’m surprised that for a coaching vacancy at a premier school, the position is only open for a week.

I’m also surprised a bit at the P5 requirement.

Which makes me wonder if someone has already been pegged for the job and the university is going through legal requirements.
You should read the first 11 pages of this thread.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I must say this thread has been BY FAR the most interesting and at times humorous thread to read since She's departure. Some interesting and far reaching names have been mentioned, i.e., Jim Calhoun. I want to see if anyone called it after the basketball office makes the official announcement this week. From Diana Taurasi and Sue Bird to Jim Calhoun and Carla Berube. With brief mentions of Doug Bruno, Muffet McGraw :confused:, Holly Warlick :confused::confused:, Joanne P. McCallie and of course Coach Jumper. It's obvious none of us have a clue. SMH. :D

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hire this guy #shegone

Attachments

• EzLnQ8KVUAYeGtg.jpg
    EzLnQ8KVUAYeGtg.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 123
Reaction Score
I must say this thread has been BY FAR the most interesting and at times humorous thread to read since She's departure. Some interesting and far reaching names have been mentioned, i.e., Jim Calhoun. I want to see if anyone called it after the basketball office makes the official announcement this week. From Diana Taurasi to Sue Bird to Jim Calhoun, with brief mentions of Doug Bruno, Muffet McGraw, Holly Warlick, Joanne P. McCallie and of course Coach Jumper. SMH. :D

In another thread, I said Roy Williams ?‍♀️

Reaction Score
I must say this thread has been BY FAR the most interesting and at times humorous thread to read since She's departure. Some interesting and far reaching names have been mentioned, i.e., Jim Calhoun. I want to see if anyone called it after the basketball office makes the official announcement this week. From Diana Taurasi and Sue Bird to Jim Calhoun and Carla Berube. With brief mentions of Doug Bruno, Muffet McGraw :confused:, Holly Warlick :confused::confused:, Joanne P. McCallie and of course Coach Jumper. It's obvious none of us have a clue. SMH. :D

I fully expected someone to also mention Pat Summitt...

Reaction Score
Hey, If Jim Calhoun made anyone laugh then you should scroll back and give me a "like". Otherwise I will accept another cocktail, thanks.

Reaction Score
...Carla Berube...
She is a proven winner, at Tufts & Princeton an

She coached 1 season at Princeton.

Her becoming an assistant is absolutely terrible/never gonna happen idea. This ranks up there with Paige staying for a 5th year.

Reaction Score
As usual.

Reaction Score
Wonder what the buyout #'s, if any, are from Hartford ?
Probably no buyout because she would go from HC to AC. Buyouts are usually when you go from one HC position to another.

Reaction Score
I would agree that if I was interviewing a job applicant in the business world, frequent job changes would be a red flag. But coaching is an entirely different profession, where job changes are the norm. Rick Pitino has changed jobs 11 times in his career. Larry Brown had 15 different coaching jobs before finally retiring. Both are HOF coaches.

Morgan Valley strikes me as an ambitious young coach who is willing to accept increasingly greater challenges in order to advance in her profession. I don’t see anything wrong with that.
We all saw what happened to the men's program for trying to hire from within. Lets get a proven high end recruiter, It is too competitive now days to hire a newbie without high end D1 experience>

Reaction Score
Probably no buyout because she would go from HC to AC. Buyouts are usually when you go from one HC position to another.

One of Geno's previous contracts did indeed limit a buyout to him taking another Head Coach position. But Dan Hurley's URI contact called for him to pay a buyout if he terminated the agreement to "accept other employment as a college basketball coach" - not necessarily a head coaching position. And many D1 contracts call for a buyout ("liquidated damages" or "separation payment") if the coach terminates the contract for any reason - regardless of whether they take a new coaching position. For example, look at the contacts at Ohio State, Tennessee, Wichita State, and Nevada for their men's coaches:

It's harder to find published contracts for mid-major coaches. However I am aware of the terms of two, and in both cases a buyout would be applied if a head coach left for a D1 assistant job. I would guess Valley's contract calls for a buyout - but likely not a huge one.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Sherri Coale..Sherri Coale.....This former head coach at OU has entered my flawed brain. She may not quite fit all criteria, but is respected by Geno. She sure has the experience and could ultimately take over. Yes, she is not a youngie, but has a good ten years, assuming good health, left to coach, She appears to be respected almost everywhere and can come in and command respect, just on her name and resume. If she still has the fire in her gut, and Geno and CD believe in her....yes, yes yes. It is just a thought after reading all BY comments. If she wants to work with the great kids on the floor.....perfect.
By my consensus, it appears that the majority of BY'ers expect Morgan Valley to get the job.....fine with me....just think a little about Sherri and what she would bring to the elite progarm. Very impt. decision here!
If Coale is blessed with the “Vivian Stringer longevity gene”, then she’s got at least 25 years left in the tank. But based on her comments when she retired, I don’t expect her back coaching in the near term.

Reaction Score
Sherri Coale? Lord NO.

I mean, I like Sheri.
But the current coaching staff is 67, ~61, and ~47. A 56-year old does not help. They've got wisdom and experience covered. What they lack is someone who can better relate to HS kids.

Under 40 is a near requirement.

Reaction Score
Sherri Coale? Lord NO.

I mean, I like Sheri.
But the current coaching staff is 67, ~61, and ~47. A 56-year old does not help. They've got wisdom and experience covered. What they lack is someone who can better relate to HS kids.

Under 40 is a near requirement.
While I agree with the ability to connect/relate to players- I strongly disagree with your age parameter. I’ll defer to UCONN’s decision regardless of age.
I believe that in addition to relating to the coaching staff, players also want stability in the program, the potential to develop as players and the possibility of playing in big games.
JUST AS IMPORTANT are the parents feeling that their daughters will be safe, respected, and taken care of while away. And that many doors may be opened post basketball.
In this regard, the UCONN Woman’s Basketball program has never let them down.
Based on the incoming freshman class and those that have committed for the future, the staff still has “it” (despite geriatrics?).
UCONN is the pre eminent brand in NCAA woman’s basketball for more reason than wins and losses. But that certainly helps.
JMHO

Reaction Score
Based on the incoming freshman class and those that have committed for the future, the staff still has “it” (despite geriatrics?).
You missed my point.
Obviously UConn has an excellent staff.

When your youngest coach is 43, you don't replace her with a 56 year old.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom