Asst Coach Job Posting | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Asst Coach Job Posting

Reaction Score
I believe they had to post the job opening. I also believe they "intentionally" worded it so that they would not receive a flood of of applications. Geno (with the blessing of the AD) can hire anyone he wants to. He probably already had someone in mind once Shea informed him of her desire to apply for the Vandy HC position. They don't have to have all of the qualifications described in the posting. The last assistant he hired (Jasmine Lister) did not have half of those requirements. I'm not saying, I just saying. :rolleyes:

The job description for the job that Jasmine got was very different. Hence the conclusion that this job description was written for a specific individual.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
The job description for the job that Jasmine got was very different. Hence the conclusion that this job description was written for a specific individual.
The job description for Jasmine was also very specific and why she was hired, it was written for her.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Part of creating a job description like this also addresses potential lawsuits from applicants that feel they were better qualified, but were not hired or given a chance to interview. I'm sure as soon as news of Shea leaving hit, there were lots of interested parties reaching out/applying. With this job description it makes it much easier to say why one person was hired over another as all of these are very hard criteria (hard in the sense that they are not vague or fuzzy - you either have or have not done these things).

• five years of coaching experience working within a women’s collegiate Division I basketball program
  • coaching experience at two or more universities that are members of Power 5 conferences
  • Division I head coaching experience
  • coaching experience on team(s) that have advanced to at least the regional round of the NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball Championship
  • demonstrated experience coaching players who have achieved conference and/or national honors
  • former playing experience at the Division I collegiate level

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I believe they had to post the job opening. I also believe they "intentionally" worded it so that they would not receive a flood of of applications. Geno (with the blessing of the AD) can hire anyone he wants to. He probably already had someone in mind once Shea informed him of her desire to apply for the Vandy HC position. They don't have to have all of the qualifications described in the posting. The last assistant he hired (Jasmine Lister) did not have half of those requirements. I'm not saying, I just saying. :rolleyes:
I guess I am curious if the posting that brought us Lister was worded in such a discouraging limited and narrow manner like the currant post is. In todays crazy litigious frenzy, does this kind of post leave UCONN in potential legal jeopardy? I want Geno to get the asst. he wants, however it is a State Univ. as I said just curious.

MdStang

Greetings From Geezerville
Reaction Score
The important section of the posting is the "preferred qualifications". That will be used to effectively justify the candidate that Geno prefers.

I worked for 35+ years in education, at a public college and a private university and hired many individuals over my career. This is a certainty: at the highest levels of any educational institution (which includes a highly compensated hiring manager with 11 national championships) job postings that are tailored to certain individuals are common. Geno will get the person he wants.

Reaction Score
First off, I was sad to see Shea go like everyone else, but am very happy for her. She will always be one of my favorite Husky's!

That being said, after reading more about Morgan Valley and all of the glowing things being said about her from other programs shes been at (and obviously from our own Uconn coaches an alums), I have to say I am very impressed with her.

If we do in fact hire her (like some of us are starting to believe will happen), I think it will be an outstanding pickup for the staff. Not only does she know exactly what it takes to play at Uconn, but she also has the unique knowledge of working first hand in programs with top coaches like Mike Neighbors, Adia Barnes and highly skilled players like Kelsey Plum. She can bring in some other ideas and styles shes experienced from them. I think she'd be the perfect fit for Uconn right now, getting some fresh new perspective from someone whose been out of the UConn program for awhile.

So who knows, maybe it won't be Morgan, however I'm starting to get excited by the idea of it happening!

Reaction Score
I guess I am curious if the posting that brought us Lister was worded in such a discouraging limited and narrow manner like the currant post is. In todays crazy litigious frenzy, does this kind of post leave UCONN in potential legal jeopardy? I want Geno to get the asst. he wants, however it is a State Univ. as I said just curious.
judging by the specificity of the demanding prerequisites of the job posting, I'd say the selection has already taken place........this is just a necessary formality

Reaction Score
This was not the job description that was posted when Jasmine was hired. She met every requirement in that description, mainly because it was written to fit her.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This was not the job description that was posted when Jasmine was hired. She met every requirement in that description, mainly because it was written to fit her.
Understood. Then may we assume this was written for the person(s) on their short list?

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Part of creating a job description like this also addresses potential lawsuits from applicants that feel they were better qualified, but were not hired or given a chance to interview. I'm sure as soon as news of Shea leaving hit, there were lots of interested parties reaching out/applying. With this job description it makes it much easier to say why one person was hired over another as all of these are very hard criteria (hard in the sense that they are not vague or fuzzy - you either have or have not done these things).

• five years of coaching experience working within a women’s collegiate Division I basketball program
  • coaching experience at two or more universities that are members of Power 5 conferences
  • Division I head coaching experience
  • coaching experience on team(s) that have advanced to at least the regional round of the NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball Championship
  • demonstrated experience coaching players who have achieved conference and/or national honors
  • former playing experience at the Division I collegiate level
These are the PREFERRED qualifications, but the MIMIMUM qualifications are much less stringent. We have all been looking at the former, but the latter may open the door for someone we have not considered.

Reaction Score
These are the PREFERRED qualifications, but the MIMIMUM qualifications are much less stringent. We have all been looking at the former, but the latter may open the door for someone we have not considered.
The minimum requirements include 5 years of D1 coaching experience plus having coached in 2 power conferences.

Reaction Score
As a fan, I would be disappointed if it were Morgan Valley. There. I said it. Having said that, I'm open to being convinced that she's the right choice. Not that Geno nor CD owe me any explanation, but there is absolutely ZERO on her resume that is impressive (to me).

She has literally had 8 jobs in the past 16 years. She has stayed at NO job more than 2 years except for UMASS as an assistant. She was at Va Tech, Washington, and Arizona, so she spent some time at P5 schools. Ok that's nice but name one single top player she was the lead recruiter on (I'm asking - like I said, open to being convinced). I get that she may have coached Kelsey Plum for a year or 2, but she joined Washington after Plum was already on the team so did not recruit her.

She took over for Kim McNeil, who was at Hartford for 3 years and was 23-11 in her 3rd season, making it to the WNIT. Kim had a winning record all 3 seasons. Morgan then took over and promptly went 1-28. She was 3-9 this season before Hartford shut down due to Covid. Is she just an awful coach, or was the cupboard left completely bare when McNeil left? Or something in between?

Has she even coached guards before? I know she was a versatile player hampered by plantar fascitis, but she was never a PG or SG. She was more a wing/forward. So this is potentially who would be the lead coach will be for possibly the greatest 2 guards to ever play for the same team at the same time in the history of women's college basketball (following in the footsteps of Sue and Diana)?

I'm NOT trying to be a Debbie Downer. I have no idea if she is THE candidate that Geno and CD are looking for. But when you look at the list of people who fit the ENTIRE job description, it's something like Morgan Valley, Gail Goestenkors, Joanne McCallie. I haven't seen anyone else put forward a name who meets all the criteria. So please - tell me why she would be the right person for the job. And saying "If Geno wants her, it's fine by me" is obvious. Give me something else. PLEASE.
I don't think Morgan is the right person at this time. She needs to be better known by recruits before she can assume this job. If CD doesn't plan on sticking around after Geno then they should hire the person that Geno wants. Uconn needs a big name to assume Geno's legacy . We all saw what happened to our Men's team.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don't think Morgan is the right person at this time. She needs to be better known by recruits before she can assume this job. If CD doesn't plan on sticking around after Geno then they should hire the person that Geno wants. Uconn needs a big name to assume Geno's legacy . We all saw what happened to our Men's team.
Until two years ago, she was recruiting for Washington (a FF team) and AZ (now a FF team) in the Pac12. And Uconn recruiting is about Uconn and Geno and CD and recruits, their coaches and their parents and their friends know them. She just becomes another in a long line of 'gatekeepers' to the King and Queen. This idea that Shea and Jamelle were the magnet that got recruits to commit is silly.

As for it being Morgan ... maybe TN just stole a march on CT by reportedly hiring Samantha Williams - she was an assistant at Duke and Louisville, and a HC at EKU so she meets the minimum.

We are maybe over-focused on Uconn connections. There may be others with all the required experience out there.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Until two years ago, she was recruiting for Washington (a FF team) and AZ (now a FF team) in the Pac12. And Uconn recruiting is about Uconn and Geno and CD and recruits, their coaches and their parents and their friends know them. She just becomes another in a long line of 'gatekeepers' to the King and Queen. This idea that Shea and Jamelle were the magnet that got recruits to commit is silly.

As for it being Morgan ... maybe TN just stole a march on CT by reportedly hiring Samantha Williams - she was an assistant at Duke and Louisville, and a HC at EKU so she meets the minimum.

We are maybe over-focused on Uconn connections. There may be others with all the required experience out there.

Williams certainly checked all the boxes for the UConn job though I suspect she’ll be recruiting coordinator at Tenn — effectively CD’s position. UConn is looking to fill a regular ‘ol AC position with someone who was once a head coach. That itself limits the pool of candidates.

GG

Reaction Score
I am sort of kidding but Kevin Freeman?

Kevin Freeman is leaving his job as UConn assistant coach, but not leaving the university.

Reaction Score
I heard Mufft McGraw and Doug Bruno are being considered.......

Reaction Score
While everyone may feel it’s Morgan Valley something in my gut is telling me it’s someone outside of the program I think we’re going to be shocked (in a good way) about the new hire

Reaction Score
Best Recruiter Needed....Shea is a great recruiter and coach. Coach G needs a great rep to get around the country and world to get the best young ladies. Yes, she or he has to be a very good coach and not necessarily an heir to the thrown. Geno probabley has known for a long time what is out there. Coach is unbelievable on the phone.....I know that from back in the day.
As has been said, today's kids are sooo different and great care has to be taken by the university. We may be surprised and wind up with a current head coach who would love to finish their career with a NC. The betting odds say Morgan Valley, but, but, but. This decision is huge!

Reaction Score
I am sort of kidding but Kevin Freeman?

Kevin Freeman is leaving his job as UConn assistant coach, but not leaving the university.
Kevin is switching into Jamelle’s original job when she came back.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
The important section of the posting is the "preferred qualifications". That will be used to effectively justify the candidate that Geno prefers.

I worked for 35+ years in education, at a public college and a private university and hired many individuals over my career. This is a certainty: at the highest levels of any educational institution (which includes a highly compensated hiring manager with 11 national championships) job postings that are tailored to certain individuals are common. Geno will get the person he wants.
That individual is probably being flooded with spreadsheets and film to digest so they can hit the ground running. they probably have a call list of prospects and are mapping an itinerary for June 1.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom