Assistant Football Coach/QB Coach/Pass Game Coordinator > Brad Robbins | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Assistant Football Coach/QB Coach/Pass Game Coordinator > Brad Robbins

Reaction Score
Orlovsky averaged 233yds/game and 22tds/yr. , that's projecting his first year out to 12 games. The unfortunate reality is if the offense produces what Free would take, the coordinator and the qb will both be gone the following year or the next.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I just want the O to move the ball, score and win. Anyway they do that is beautiful to my eyes.

Nothing wrong with running the ball if you can do it effectively (like last year and many of our better teams). I love watching a team I root for run it down their throat. I thought they could have used more play action in the passing game off of their strengths up front and at running back last year.

Having a philosophy that builds off your strengths and a good O-line are still the keys to moving the ball.

Reaction Score
I just want the O to move the ball, score and win. Anyway they do that is beautiful to my eyes.

Nothing wrong with running the ball if you can do it effectively (like last year and many of our better teams). I love watching a team I root for run it down their throat. I thought they could have used more play action in the passing game off of their strengths up front and at running back last year.

Having a philosophy that builds off your strengths and a good O-line are still the keys to moving the ball.
My big want is increase the amount of deception that our offense (and defense) subjects the opponent to on each play and flexibility to make pre snap adjustments. On offense seemed like opponent could tell point of attack based on down, formation and who was in (which TE, running back, WR or combo of those). Also, when opponent cheats to fill box and run/pass blitz need to have way to make them pay.

Doesn't accomplish anything to have QB fake keeping ball on roll out if never actually keep it or are so poor a runner that DE can catch you on the few times you keep it.

Reaction Score
Orlovsky averaged 233yds/game and 22tds/yr. , that's projecting his first year out to 12 games. The unfortunate reality is if the offense produces what Free would take, the coordinator and the qb will both be gone the following year or the next.
You can’t use Orlovsky as your marker for 2 reasons. 1. He was an NFL caliber guy. 2. The game has changed. 233 yards passing in todays game is probably average

Reaction Score
You can’t use Orlovsky as your marker for 2 reasons. 1. He was an NFL caliber guy. 2. The game has changed. 233 yards passing in todays game is probably average
For sure. The run game back then was much more prevelant to the game plan than it is in college today. From quick look it looks like the average for passing yards across FBS was roughly 250-260 yards/game. So Orlovsky still is the best QB we've had, but, as you said, he'd be very middle of the road in todays game.

Reaction Score
His numbers developed over time. 250 yards and 35 tds? People have left here for presumably better over comparably less.

Reaction Score
For sure. The run game back then was much more prevelant to the game plan than it is in college today. From quick look it looks like the average for passing yards across FBS was roughly 250-260 yards/game. So Orlovsky still is the best QB we've had, but, as you said, he'd be very middle of the road in todays game.
Orlovsky was pushing 300yds a game his last two years. Do you think we would be able to keep someone who passes for 300 yds and 33 tds for the following year today? Any development unfortunately will be rewarded by going to some other program.

Reaction Score
In todays game he’d pass for 400/game.

Reaction Score
Orlovsky was pushing 300yds a game his last two years. Do you think we would be able to keep someone who passes for 300 yds and 33 tds for the following year today? Any development unfortunately will be rewarded by going to some other program.
Could we keep them? Sure. Would we keep them? Probably not with our current schedules.

Reaction Score
In todays game he’d pass for 400/game.
Could we keep them? Sure. Would we keep them? Probably not with our current schedules.
Free is throwing numbers out there cavalierly . He will "take" 250 and 35. 250-260 yds a game gets you in the top 40-50 of 133 and 35 tds is a big number, top ten number today . 3000 yds and 35 tds are going to get interest which we may not be able to afford in todays environment. Thats all.

Reaction Score
Yes, I’m throwing out numbers. Im saying I would love us to have a passing attack that puts up average numbers. I didn’t look closely but I think that is 250/game based on a quick scan. If we are pounding the ball against someone, like we did against UMass a few years ago, that’s great. Throw for 150, but that shouldn’t be the goal. It should be the exception.

Reaction Score
Free is throwing numbers out there cavalierly . He will "take" 250 and 35. 250-260 yds a game gets you in the top 40-50 of 133 and 35 tds is a big number, top ten number today . 3000 yds and 35 tds are going to get interest which we may not be able to afford in todays environment. Thats all.
I would take a QB that averages 250 per game right now. We were averaging 189 last year.

Reaction Score
Yes, I’m throwing out numbers. Im saying I would love us to have a passing attack that puts up average numbers. I didn’t look closely but I think that is 250/game based on a quick scan. If we are pounding the ball against someone, like we did against UMass a few years ago, that’s great. Throw for 150, but that shouldn’t be the goal. It should be the exception.
We disagree a bit and I appreciate your long-standing relationship and support to/for the program.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom