Assistant coaching news... | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Assistant coaching news...

Status
Not open for further replies.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
“@bvpssupt: Big News! My brother @WayneLineburg headed to UConn Huskies to coach special teams. http://ursports.blogs.timesdispatch.com/2014/01/02/lineburg-moves-ur-football-staff-uconn/ Go Huskies! @cwhite_charlie”

?? Special Teams/Recruiting Coordinator ??

Great link, Medic. It's always great to see multiple people talking about a new coach as being a "good man". It seems to be a trend with the guys that Diaco is picking up, which is giving me the warm fuzzies with this new coaching staff...

I like this young man's profile and I like the hire.

Teaching and leadership are in his DNA.

His father, Norman, is the long-time coach at Radford High and is a member of the Virginia High School Coaches Association Hall of Fame. Wayne played prep football for his father, earning All-District honors as a quarterback.

His brother Robert is the athletic director at Radford University, his brother Mark is the superintendent of schools in Bristol, Va. and his brother Paul is the assistant principal at William Byrd High School in Vinton, Va.

http://www.richmondspiders.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205207663&

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I like this young man's profile and I like the hire.

Teaching and leadership are in his DNA.

His father, Norman, is the long-time coach at Radford High and is a member of the Virginia High School Coaches Association Hall of Fame. Wayne played prep football for his father, earning All-District honors as a quarterback.

His brother Robert is the athletic director at Radford University, his brother Mark is the superintendent of schools in Bristol, Va. and his brother Paul is the assistant principal at William Byrd High School in Vinton, Va.

http://www.richmondspiders.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205207663&

Really like the deep family HS connections throughout the state.

Reaction Score
If you remember John Dorsey, then for the love of UConn you should remember Eric Torkelson and also remember that Mike Cummings has the Bama, FL and Western PA connections.;)
In my very novice look at the recruiting areas, this is what I came up with (through use of Rivals recruiting targets for each coach):

Patterson - NY, general Midwest (Iowa, Illinois, etc.)
Lineburg - VA mostly, southern NJ (almost exclusively Virginia)
Jones - NY, FL, GA (more southern than northern recruiting)
Cummings - IL, AL, FL, MI, PA, OH (very heavy in Illinois and in Alabama)
Diaco - NJ, NY, VA, MA (heavy New Jersey influence but went into Mass. a lot)
Foley - NY, MA, NH, MD, VA, Canada (he's the one that got Petrus, Delahunt, and Joseph)
Reardon - IN, MI, NE, ND, SD (Thanks, Medic!)

Also, there are two guys (Jones, Cummings) that seem to recruit heavily in Florida/Georgia and Alabama respectively. Patterson probably will help out in NY with Diaco / Jones, and maybe even leverage Midwest ties in Illinois along with Cummings. A nice balance of northeast, southeast, and midwest. Lineburg will likely focus on the mid-Atlantic, while Foley cleans house in New England and further north.

If anyone has any additional info to this, feel free to add on to it. I like what I'm seeing, with all of the recruiting coordinator experience and with the right geographical mix covered by the staff. Go get 'em, boys!!! :cool:
Torkelson was before my time, but that's a lot of quality insight from UConnDan97 and HuskyMedic. Extensive recruiting links in key areas by experienced, well connected recruiting coordinators is something UCONN's never experienced. Thank you!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In addition to the coaches that I put up in the recruiting area analysis, it is interesting to see that the missing piece to the puzzle might indeed be Van Malone. With heavy recruiting ties to Texas, as well as the surrounding areas (OK, LA), coupled with the fact that our league will have two teams in Texas (SMU, Houston), one in Oklahoma (Tulsa), and one in Louisiana (Tulane), and his addition might look even more tempting...

At this point I would love to see Van Malone be the DC for the sole purpose of having the Boneyard successfully predict one of Diaco's new coaches. That would be pretty awesome - especially since the name came up here and not through traditional media channels.

Reaction Score
At this point I would love to see Van Malone be the DC for the sole purpose of having the Boneyard successfully predict one of Diaco's new coaches. That would be pretty awesome - especially since the name came up here and not through traditional media channels.

I think Mets2323 might have first sighted in on Cummings as well...

Reaction Score
I called Zach Shay first!!!

Only problem is that he hasn't been hired and I have no idea what jobs are left that he might get hired for.

I do think I got Malone first, but the props have to go to the guy who listed out the name of 20 candidates - all I had to do was google those 20, ha.

I need a life.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Sticking with the Ansonia theme, for the love of Roger Ings the creation of the staff has been interesting to watch especially the experience factor and where on the compass new hires are coming from. Someday it would be very interesting if Coach Foley wrote a book on the transitions that he and the program have been through while coaching with different staffs at UConn. Other than Yarders I'd bet CoachFlood would buy a copy.

This is a great idea for a book honestly. Just the logistics are nuts let alone the drama.

Reaction Score
I called Zach Shay first!!!

Only problem is that he hasn't been hired and I have no idea what jobs are left that he might get hired for.

I do think I got Malone first, but the props have to go to the guy who listed out the name of 20 candidates - all I had to do was google those 20, ha.

I need a life.

Swung and missed here as well. Still like Van Malone, but Anthony Poindexter will do ;)

Reaction Score
Another couple of blurbs on the VA connections -

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/colle...3-9560-001a4bcf6878.html#.UseToxHJC4Y.twitter (This one has Lineburg as RB/ST coach). Guess we wait till the official announcement from UConn to see who goes where).

http://www.dailyprogress.com/cavali...cle_f6d2816a-74f0-11e3-8685-001a4bcf6878.html ("The loss of Poindexter means the Cavaliers will be without their main recruiter for the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area. Brown was responsible for parts of the Tidewater region.")

Reaction Score
In my very novice look at the recruiting areas, this is what I came up with (through use of Rivals recruiting targets for each coach):

Foley - NY, MA, NH, MD, VA, Canada (he's the one that got Petrus, Delahunt, and Joseph)

At a glance, we are obviously going to be heavy in the Northeast (which we should be and which makes the most sense from a staffing standpoint). Seeing how important NY, NJ, MA, and VA are in this graphic leads me to believe that it was a strategic plan with a lot of thought put into it by Diaco (*or just a great coincidence). Also, there are two guys (Jones, Cummings) that seem to recruit heavily in Florida/Georgia and Alabama respectively. Patterson probably will help out in NY with Diaco / Jones, and maybe even leverage Midwest ties in Illinois along with Cummings. A nice balance of northeast, southeast, and midwest. Lineburg will likely focus on the mid-Atlantic, while Foley cleans house in New England and further north.

If anyone has any additional info to this, feel free to add on to it. I like what I'm seeing, with all of the recruiting coordinator experience and with the right geographical mix covered by the staff. Go get 'em, boys!!! :cool:

We need to update w/ Poindexter, Brown and Wolthausen.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
We need to update w/ Poindexter, Brown and Wolthausen.

True. Give me 10 minutes, and I'll fire that up again with the updates...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
*Updated Version

*Poindexter - VA, MD, NC
*Brown - FL, GA
*Wolthausen - OH, West Coast (from ASU days, etc.)

With the new additions to the coaching staff, we have increased our mid-Atlantic influence to three recruiters, we have increased our Florida / Georgia influence to three recruiters, and we have increased our Midwest influence to three recruiters. In addition to that, Wolthausen gives us a coach that is familiar with the west coast. I'm not sure how much impact he could have there, but any experience there is better than none.

Damn, I'm psyched about the possibilities!!! :cool:

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Poindexter recruited Northern Virginia and Metro D.C. Area for #UVa

The problem wasn't the info, it was the typing! ;) I have three or four hand-written pages on my computer desk like I'm some crucial part of a war room! It's hilarious... (and sad, but I'm going with hilarious...)

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Your right nepotism by the strict definition is hiring relatives. I consider hiring your buddies a kind of nepotism. Can you really say that Mike Cummings is the best available man for the job? The fact that he is your friend and drinking buddy should mean nothing. In fact it is a negative. In the military, officers don't fraternize with enlisted men because they may slack off if they now their supervisors on a personal level. It is best to have a level a detachment from your subordinates. It keeps them on their toes because they may think you will fire them if they don't produce. Hire the best available man for the job, friend or no friend, that is the American way.

The whole point of hiring people who you have worked with before is that they are known quantities. You know if they are good or bad, strengths and weaknesses and you have a body of work to analyze that is very fulsome (as opposed to geniuses like us on the BY who think we can glean everything there is to know about a candidate based on google searches).

It's a smart way to move quickly and get your staff up and running as soon as possible. Do I think every single person that Diaco has hired was the absolutely best possible person for every single position? No but to expect that is completely unreasonable (and once again, very in-line with BY thinking).

And by the way, being coaches together at the same institution for a period of time does not make you a drinking buddy. Are you drinking buddies with every single person you have ever worked with? If so, I feel for your liver (or hope you are self-employed).

Reaction Score
I think everyone can be happy once again with the staff that has been put together. Seems Diaco has brought in some guys with some great resumes, been all over the country and are all solid recruiters. The latest editions seem great for the DC metropolitan area. I know I'm pumped.

Also, it appears coach Strong is headed to UT.

Reaction Score
Done deal?? Not sure how connected this guy is, but he seems to have accurate updates.

From 3 hours ago:
Jamie Oakes ‏@JamieOakes2473h
Anthony Poindexter to #UConn is completed. Contract signed … http://virginia.247sports.com/Board/16/The-latest-on-Anthony-Poindexter-24583857/1#a24583926…

From 16 hours ago:
Jamie Oakes ‏@JamieOakes24715h
Although I don’t expect Anthony Poindexter to be on the #UVa staff, he has not signed a contract with #UConn yet … http://virginia.247sports.com/Article/The-latest-on-Anthony-Poindexter-169390…

From 19 hours ago:
Jamie Oakes ‏@JamieOakes24719h
#UVa defensive line coach Vincent Brown has signed a contract to become a part of Bob Diaco’s staff at #UConn … http://virginia.247sports.com/Board/16/The-latest-on-Anthony-Poindexter-24583857/1#a24583926…

Reaction Score
Done deal?? Not sure how connected this guy is, but he seems to have accurate updates.

From 3 hours ago:
Jamie Oakes ‏@JamieOakes2473h
Anthony Poindexter to #UConn is completed. Contract signed … http://virginia. /Board/16/The-latest-on-Anthony-Poindexter-24583857/1#a24583926…

From 16 hours ago:
Jamie Oakes ‏@JamieOakes24715h
Although I don’t expect Anthony Poindexter to be on the #UVa staff, he has not signed a contract with #UConn yet … http://virginia. /Article/The-latest-on-Anthony-Poindexter-169390…

From 19 hours ago:
Jamie Oakes ‏@JamieOakes24719h
#UVa defensive line coach Vincent Brown has signed a contract to become a part of Bob Diaco’s staff at #UConn … http://virginia. /Board/16/The-latest-on-Anthony-Poindexter-24583857/1#a24583926…

Ha - just dumped the update in the Anthony Poindexter thread.

He's been pretty much spot on since it broke.

Reaction Score
Ha - just dumped the update in the Anthony Poindexter thread.

He's been pretty much spot on since it broke.

With two threads going on AP, I guess we have them both covered now with the great news! Keep up the good work Medic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom