Asphalt Overlay vs Replacement | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Asphalt Overlay vs Replacement

Reaction Score
Driveway not looking so good. I know that oil prices directly affect the price of asphalt, but neighbor patching his up and the contractor approached me.

He provided two options. 1 full replacement, which is what my other half wants.

2. 2 inch overlay

He said either way I went the end result would look the same.

1. Should I hold off until oil prices come down

2. Has anyone ever done a resurfacing? If do were you satisfied?

He also said the resurfacing would last about 7 years or so before I would start to notice any changes

The price for resurfacing was more than 50 percent lower than full replacement

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
I'd get some test borings done to find out the quality, material and depth of the existing base. If it's lousy, uneven, too shallow, etc., you'll be better off in the long run getting everything redone. Also, nearby trees and shrubs, especially in shoreline CT, the clay soil forces roots to grow out, rather than down. That can easily cause cracks. You might want to look at the surrounding landscaping (I had that problem with a dogwood that was at least 10' from the driveway).

Reaction Score
I'd get some test borings done to find out the quality, material and depth of the existing base. If it's lousy, uneven, too shallow, etc., you'll be better off in the long run getting everything redone. Also, nearby trees and shrubs, especially in shoreline CT, the clay soil forces roots to grow out, rather than down. That can easily cause cracks. You might want to look at the surrounding landscaping (I had that problem with a dogwood that was at least 10' from the driveway).

Very large tree next to driveway

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I mean, do we really need to go beyond this?

Just picture, for a moment, her response if/when the thing starts to degrade after 18 months.
"Honey, I know what you wanted, but the Boneyard decided otherwise. You just can't argue with that deep a pool of knowledge and expertise".

I inquired a couple years ago, long steep driveway and they said they couldn't resurface. Something about the base and needing to regrade it. Slopes evidently mean some erosion of the under-layer. I balked at the time. Neighbor just did his, I should ask how many jewelry stores he had to rob to put it in. Mine is original from 1994, so pushing 30 years now.

Reaction Score
Very large tree next to driveway
So, are the roots of the tree lifting up the edge closest to the tree, and/or, causing the pavement to rise across the width of the driveway? If so, you have a larger issue to address, because that tree's root system will continue to expand and enlarge over time.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
"Honey, I know what you wanted, but the Boneyard decided otherwise. You just can't argue with that deep a pool of knowledge and expertise".
“So, you listened to your Internet friends instead of me? And don’t even get me started on why you are on an Internet site called The Boneyard…”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom