Asphalt Overlay vs Replacement | The Boneyard

Asphalt Overlay vs Replacement

Reaction Score
Driveway not looking so good. I know that oil prices directly affect the price of asphalt, but neighbor patching his up and the contractor approached me.

He provided two options. 1 full replacement, which is what my other half wants.

2. 2 inch overlay

He said either way I went the end result would look the same.

1. Should I hold off until oil prices come down

2. Has anyone ever done a resurfacing? If do were you satisfied?

He also said the resurfacing would last about 7 years or so before I would start to notice any changes

The price for resurfacing was more than 50 percent lower than full replacement

Reaction Score
Driveway not looking so good. I know that oil prices directly affect the price of asphalt, but neighbor patching his up and the contractor approached me.

2. 2 inch overlay

He also said the resurfacing would last about 7 years or so before I would start to notice any changes

I'd do the overlay if your driveway is in decent shape. 7 years is a long time. If your driveway is a disaster, then replace it.

I don't expect construction materials to decline in price too much. Only lumber seems to go up and down dramatically with the market. Most stuff just goes up and stays up.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I typically patch mine but it's getting to point where I need to consider a resurface.

To me, answer seems simple - if resurfacing lasts 7 years, looks as good, and is 50% less, than resurfacing twice gets you 14 years for the same money as a full replacement. Will that last beyond 14 years? Do you think you'll sell before then?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
About 20 years ago I did a full replacement. It is still in decent shape, though had it has a few cracks now. It will likely need to be redone over the next five years. I don’t know if that’s useful information to you.

For what it’s worth, some of this is going to be dependent upon your situation. Is your driveway on an incline because that adds stress to it. Same thing if you park in your driveway. Until I bought cars for my kids, my driveway was in great shape. Most of the problems that it developed are underneath where they park. For whatever that’s worth.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
as always, all things construction revolve around one word - water. where is it and what is its impact?
if ur drive has obvious signs of water/drainage issues (cratering, mini canyons/gulches, etc.) then rip up, fix those properly, then put a new one in.
if not and the whole thing is stable but ugly, then patch it/overlay.
it'll look prettier than a pie delivered with sausage chunks as compared to one with sausage flakes.

Reaction Score
Our last house had overlay done and it was listed as a “new driveway.” It was in terrible shape within 18 mos
There is a common scam where guys drive around with a truck full of crap asphalt. They stop at houses and say "we have extra asphalt from a big job, want your driveway done for cheap?" They then do a terrible job with junk product and disappear. The driveway crumbles in no time.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
There is a common scam where guys drive around with a truck full of crap asphalt. They stop at houses and say "we have extra asphalt from a big job, want your driveway done for cheap?" They then do a terrible job with junk product and disappear. The driveway crumbles in no time.
Good point. That happened in our neighborhood, with a different contractor, right around the time we were doing our driveway. The guy got like three or four people to sign up and we heard nothing but horror stories.

@B1GEast , get three quotes for the job from three different contractors. Ask around and see who others used and what their experience was.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'paving with clif,' part deux deux.
anytime major repair/rebuild enters the drive conversation, it's a good time to see iffn an electric/solar powered snow and ice melt underlay grid deployment is appropriate.
bliss. and depending on ur winter management system (deere 410 or local kid with a shovel) it can be considered an 'investment' if ur cash outlay for that is significant. or the 'too lazy to shovel' one.
some folks even cheap out with just heated driving lanes.
52422d9beea7090cd9fe1c33e2a664a3.jpg

Reaction Score
About 20 years ago I did a full replacement. It is still in decent shape, though had it has a few cracks now. It will likely need to be redone over the next five years. I don’t know if that’s useful information to you.

For what it’s worth, some of this is going to be dependent upon your situation. Is your driveway on an incline because that adds stress to it. Same thing if you park in your driveway. Until I bought cars for my kids, my driveway was in great shape. Most of the problems that it developed are underneath where they park. For whatever that’s worth.
I was going to say, a full replacement should last 20 years.

Reaction Score

2. 2 inch overlay

ClifSpliffy is correct. If your driveway is deteriorating because of a bad subgrade then water is probably the reason why it’s falling apart. The freezing and thawing during the winter months exacerbates the problem.
You can tell by popping up some of the asphalt and digging down to see how bad the subgrade is.

You will need:
1. Firm,dry and compacted subgrade
2. Compacted stone base
3. Asphalt rolled in tightly.

The nicest,smoothest looking driveway will fail if it’s installed on top of a bad subgrade.

Reaction Score
Yup. Happened to my father in law. His driveway did need some work but not a complete redo

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
A somewhat related query: My driveway is still holding up after 30 years, developing some light surface cracks though. I have never had it sealed, it gets a ton of sunlight in winter so normally snow/ice melt right off. Should I ever bother with sealing or maybe just buy some filler/product to seal the cracks?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If there is alligator cracking or single line cracks that have opened up, replace it.

If there are divots, depressions or bumps, replace it

If it is just beginning to show fine cracks but still level, seal it.

I can't think of a legit reason I'd blow the money for a simple driveway overlay. Unless you just want your driveway to be 2 inches higher. It will still crack within a few years.

Reaction Score
I'm definitely not an expert, but I just did an overlay on my patio. The only reason I didn't have it fully replaced is because the cost isn't worth it because I'm planning on selling the house in the near future so it doesn't matter to me if it looks good 5 years or even 2 years from now as long as it looks good now. Do with that what you will :)

Reaction Score

2. 2 inch overlay

It depends on how many cracks or spallaing areas there are completely thru the existing asphalt... If minimal then overlay w/select full thickness repair of the damaged areas. If the damaged areas are excessive, then replace. Suggest finding and hiring a competent pavement engineer to do a visual inspection.

Reaction Score

2. 2 inch overlay

Make sure you get reliable paving company. You need 3 inches of asphalt on top of graded material

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

2. 2 inch overlay

ya know, upon further review yet without photos, are you sure that you even need to buy any asphalt and the expensive asphalt put'er downer people?

this is mostly how we roll, knowhaimsayin?
and oh, coming from Bridgeport, i learned to say the word as 'ash-phalt.'
apparently, the Darien types turned that into 'as-phalt.'

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
50 by 20? 50 by 20?!?!?!
sorry bud, but that's 'toddler' territory.
everbuddy sits around way too much, get off the couch! lol.
that chubby older guy in the vid nailed the whole job in khaki's and what looks like wingtips. im usually covered in the stuff.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I mean, do we really need to go beyond this?

Just picture, for a moment, her response if/when the thing starts to degrade after 18 months.
Obviously nothing about driveways, but all I had to do was put "couch" and "@Fishy" into the Search...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom