Asking Boneyarders for a Favor | The Boneyard

Asking Boneyarders for a Favor

Status
Not open for further replies.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Geesh, my wife Cindy and I go out for a little walk and everything changes. The Boneyard's in a different place (not for the first time) and the Big East is in jeopardy (not for the first time either).

The "little walk" is a 5,000 mile, year long journey across the country, mainly along the American Discovery Trail, raising awareness for community involvement to address the issues of Housing, Health and Hunger. Community/civic involvement was at a low 13% in 1989 and is now just over 6%, as measured by the National Service Corporation. I trust I don't need to list some of the dismal Housing, Health and Hunger statistics. I speak mainly at Lions Clubs and colleges along the way, and collect "data" for some of the neat stuff communities are doing across the country.

I'm back in Connecticut for a few days to attend a wedding and teach a one day Elderhostel course. Now that I'm home briefly I'm joining the Boneyard (again, you can run but you can't hide) and would like to ask a few favors. I'm hoping the marvelous mods will leave this up near the top for a few days in order to garner those favors.

1. Can someone tape the UConn men's games this season for me? I'm a bit predisposed still for the next seven months. We finish our journey on May 24, 2012.

2. If you happen to be along our route, posted on the Hiking Humanitarian web site, please consider hosting us for an evening, particularly if there is a UConn game going on :) and/or there's a turn of bad weather :(. We will be in Lawrence, Kansas around Thanksgiving. Beakum?

3. We lined up talks with Lions Clubs before the journey. Certain events encouraged us to start talking to colleges once we entered Colorado, with good results. The young seek to do things FOR people, volunteerism is doing well, but are not inclined to roll up their sleeves WITH people while putting community first. As a former college instructor I can tell that college students are really taking this message to heart, but we are lining up these college gigs on the fly, er, walk. If you have a college contact along our route I would appreciate you sharing that with me.

4. If you support what I'm doing, consider subscribing to my web site and sharing with others. My web site focuses on people we meet, as the message behind our message is to "Believe in Humanity." I also have a facebook fan page with photo albums that focus on scenery. Occasionally I'll put up a podcast about one of the inspiring communities or people we've come across.

You can email me regarding any of these "favors" at hiking.humanitarian@gmail.com.

Thanks in advance,
Kirk Sinclair, aka
The Hiking Humanitarian
Web Site: http://www.hikinghumanitarian.com
Fan Page: http://www.facebook.com/hikinghumanitarian

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Really great endeavor. Keep up the good work. I'll pass your information to my son. If you head Southeast I live in SC.

Reaction Score
I admire your efforts and commitment. Do you have an itinerary?

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Thanks. We left off from Colorado Springs. Our next Lions Clubs talks are slated for Canon City and Olney Springs. I can't say when our college talks are ahead of time right now because we are contacting them while the journey is in progress. I write and sing about these issues. In a down economy we are not making much money but you don't spend much money on a journey like this, and it becomes another way to raise awareness. I did have to cash in a (very small) retirement account.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm impressed.

Good luck. I'll send enough along to buy you two dinner somewhere.

And to cover the karmic damage that I do to myself with what I'm going to say next.

The music that autoplays on your site makes me want to hunt the Bards of Balance down and strangle them. (As an environmentalist, I would, of course, compost their remains. We are but stewards of this earth, after all.) The music starts from scratch on that same song every time you go to a new page.

But the important part is - good luck.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Thanks, Fishy! When I saw a donation from (insert real name here) I wracked my brains at first to think "that name is familiar but I just can't place where I met him on this journey."

In regards to the music, there's a player on the sidebar where you can select different songs. I can't adjust the default through my site, meaning I'm too lazy/busy to do the multiple steps necessary to rotate songs on my end. Sorry about that. You could do what I do, which is to click the player shut as soon as it loads. If you do feel compelled to hunt the Bards down, I'm the only one hard to reach. The rest live around Norfolk, CT. Hey! They deserve to be hunted since only the old geezer in the band has the stones to walk across the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom