Asia Durr to Louisville | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Asia Durr to Louisville

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Huh???Take the top 25 girls with the highest SAT scores who are good enough for D1. Give them a choice of 3 schools UC, Stanford or LLC. Assuming they all would play , how many would pick LLC? Point made. A girl who can enroll at UC Duke or ND chooses LLC? MIND BOGGLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(:(:(

Umm, they probably like Jeff Waltz more than MM, JPM, or Tara. I know I do.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
just making the relative point that one school is way better academically than the other so the academics were not the driving factor. UConn at 58 is 14.5* the numerical academic ranking of Stanford in the example above. Let's say she didn't want to go to Duke because she wasn't comfortable with the coaching caliber, then her best option was Notre Dame at 16. Multiply that by 14.5 and you get -- 232...so relatively speaking she gave up LESS academically with her decision than KLS did.

Which do you think is a greater differential when applying for a job or having on your resume OUTSIDE OF BBALL: Notre Dame vs. Louisville, or Stanford vs. UConn?
I know people here are UConn basketball fans but the point mentioned was an ACADEMIC comparison. Besides, Shoni apparently was a good student but she wanted a particular situation so chose Louisville.

Just saying we should not throw stones....
I can't disagree about the fact that academics were not a factor in her decision. But I wholeheartedly disagree with how you are trying to calculate a differential. Why use a multiplier? Why not just look at the difference in the two numbers?

Stanford 4 vs Uconn 58 is a 54 differential in their rankings.
ND 16 vs UL 161 is a 145 differential. And a 103 differential with Uconn. And Uconn is investing millions on upgrading the university, working towards AAU status.

It's clear that the poster that called it a wasteland hit a nerve.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I can't disagree about the fact that academics were not a factor in her decision. But I wholeheartedly disagree with how you are trying to calculate a differential. Why use a multiplier? Why not just look at the difference in the two numbers?

ND 16 vs UL 161 is a 145 differential. And a 103 differential with Uconn. And Uconn is investing millions on upgrading the university, working towards AAU status.

Could care less about the wasteland comment, but the way the rankings go, I'd think there'd be a much bigger difference between the top schools and everyone in the middle. A school ranked 100 probably doesn't differ all that significantly to one that's ranked 150. But the gulf between number 1 and number 50 appears to be wide. UCONN has had a lot of nice upgrades and advancements, but it is outclassed by Stanford on most levels (academically speaking).

All that said, these rankings are extremely subjective anyway. None of this matters much, as you can get a great education at most places if you put the effort into it.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Because the objective was to make 54 > 145. The multiplier is nonsensical as shown by the earlier post.

Reaction Score
Asia Durr should be a great college player, but her committing to Louisville does not affect UConn in the least. To Notre Dame or Tennessee, yes. But to Louisville, no.

Reaction Score
Yeah this academic talk..... I could write a thesis on it..... that ACC conference..... billing itself as the academic giant to rival the Big 10, gladly accepting #161 LVille.... it is where college sports have gone..... having said that LVille is a fine school and Asia will do well there.... Jeff has been there .....what 7 or 8 yrs now..... this is the time when he should be starting to really make his mark and i am sure he will..... like the other posters I am a jeff fan and i think he will find great success.....

With the Dolson talk back and forth, I think I remember Geno saying he admired her hustle and grit....apart from others...... and we all know that with any incoming player, especially a post player.... it is a crapshoot as to whether they will develop, or if they do, how well they do......

With LVille in ACC, ND also, and UNC Duke etc.... that should be a good conference to watch.... I would want to watch them before USC/UT/KY?LSU, I think......

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
multiplier vs absolute difference because a difference of 20 is far more meaningful going from 4 to 24 than from say 141 to 161.
that's the key. not worth discussing anymore for those who don't agree with the subtlety here.

just trust the point that insulting Louisville can bring the same insult on nearly anyone else relative to other schools' academics and call it a day. I do find it interesting that Jeff is having incredible success recruiting in this class. Is it something about the school? his charisma? his being a male coach that brings comfort to some parents or kids? -- which of course opens a whole big can of gender discussion worms.

Reaction Score
multiplier vs absolute difference because a difference of 20 is far more meaningful going from 4 to 24 than from say 141 to 161.
that's the key. not worth discussing anymore for those who don't agree with the subtlety here.

just trust the point that insulting Louisville can bring the same insult on nearly anyone else relative to other schools' academics and call it a day. I do find it interesting that Jeff is having incredible success recruiting in this class. Is it something about the school? his charisma? his being a male coach that brings comfort to some parents or kids? -- which of course opens a whole big can of gender discussion worms.

Not worth discussing because it's absurd. Turning down the #1 school (Williams) for the #6 school (Yale) academically is the same as turning down the #40 school (UVA) for the #240 school ?? Surely, you can't mean that.
http://www.forbes.com/top-colleges/list/

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Not worth discussing because it's absurd. Turning down the #1 school (Williams) for the #6 school (Yale) academically is the same as turning down the #40 school (UVA) for the #240 school ?? Surely, you can't mean that.
http://www.forbes.com/top-colleges/list/
I disagree that it's absurd, as Gate's premise is that a difference of 20 means more when comparing #5 and #25 than it does when comparing #150 and #170. That much is true. But his multiplier method is not correct either, as it exaggerates the difference more than is reasonable. The correct model lies somewhere in between the two extremes, similar to vowelguy's method of determining class rankings. The difference between a recruit ranked first and a recruit ranked 21st is far more significant than the difference between a recruit ranked 70th and a recruit ranked 90th. But clearly the multiplier does not work either. There is a happy medium, but the math would be fuzzy and debatable. (I think that's why vg's method is mostly proprietary. :))

Reaction Score
The difference means more from #5 to # 21 then #150 to #166 (I made the spread 16 instead of 20) ? That's the point ? There's a greater difference between (#5) MIT vs (#21) Caltech ? As opposed to say Caltech (#21) vs Connecticut College (#84) ? Surely you jest. Is there a huge difference (though it's times 7) between Williams (#1) and Harvard (#7) ?
And don't call me surely.;)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I sorta forgot she was going to Louisville... thanks for the link

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Shoni wasn't a game changer? How quickly they forget!

Great player, but too limited athletically to truly be a game changer imo. Nor a top shelf defender. Angel McCaughtry was a game changer. Not Shoni.

Reaction Score
Great player, but too limited athletically to truly be a game changer imo. Nor a top shelf defender. Angel McCaughtry was a game changer. Not Shoni.

I thought of Angel too..... figured I'd use the most recent example for how quickly they forget...:)

Reaction Score
I thought of Angel too..... figured I'd use the most recent example for how quickly they forget...:)
Plus, Jeff Walz did not land / recruit Angel McCaughtry. She was already with Louisville when he took the program over. But I completely agree with your main point.

Reaction Score
This may sound crazy but if had to choose I wish Louisville picked up Irike Ogunbowale. She is a beast. Even better than Durr.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
This may sound crazy but if had to choose I wish Louisville picked up Irike Ogunbowale. She is a beast. Even better than Durr.

They're still in the running for Arike unless you know something we don't.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
They're still in the running for Arike unless you know something we don't.

Did you see that she was at UCLA this past weekend? She returned from her trip and someone released a statement from her, she will decide in the next couple of weeks. She visits Louisville this upcoming weekend. ( we are her last official visit). The statement that she will commit in the next few weeks is not too surprising, as her 5th and final visit is this upcoming weekend.

Reaction Score
Choosing Louisville was a great choice for Durr basketball-wise. Her family must know what they want her to pursue academically so the school must be adequate in their eyes.

Looking forward to subscribing to WCBB on Verizon again this season.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Did you see that she was at UCLA this past weekend? She returned from her trip and someone released a statement from her, she will decide in the next couple of weeks. She visits Louisville this upcoming weekend. ( we are her last official visit). The statement that she will commit in the next few weeks is not too surprising, as her 5th and final visit is this upcoming weekend.

I don't think there was a statement released per se, she just tweeted it. Not really news given that she was expected to sign in November. Selfishly, I'd like her to decide as soon as possible. The suspense is (figuratively) killing me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom