Asia Durr Decision Date

Status
Not open for further replies.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
If she chooses Notre Dame, the match up with UCONN could be pretty epic:
2015-16 UCONN Starting 5:
C-Natalie Butler/Other vs. Taya Reimer (top 5 recruit)
F-Breanna Stewart (#1 recruit) vs. Brianna Turner (top 2 recruit)
F-KLS (top 2 recruit) vs. Jewel Loyd (top 5 recruit)
G-One of UCONN's soph guards vs. Asia Durr (top 2 recruit)
G-Moriah Jefferson (top 2 recruit) vs. Lindsay Allen (top 25 recruit)

Bench:
UCONN-Collier (top 5 recruit), Boykin (top 10), Williams (top 2o), Edwards (top 20), Ekmark, Chong and Nurse
Notre Dame-Westbeld (top 20), Mabrey (top 20), Michaela Mabrey

Notre Dame will start 4 top rated recruits, UCONN starts 3 top 2 recruits...both teams will be loaded with talent at all positions and have great coaching staffs on the bench.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
I like your style, Alex. I am right there with you.
All I can say is if it happens ( I am on the record as not willing to celebrate or declare victory) , I am so happy and excited for this coaching staff and program.
Walz has put us not only on the map, but in the discussion every year as a T10 team. A commitment from a recruit of Durr's caliber will only help to continue to push our program further.
I have long believed Walz would be the one to get us to an eventual net cutting ceremony. We are not there yet, and one recruit does not make it so. However, it is one more nudge in the right direction. Hopefully my fellow Louisville Cardinal fans and I can celebrate and breathe a collective sigh of relief come Tuesday afternoon.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
L'ville's problem, IMHO, is that they have all guards and wings and barely any forwards or posts.

in 2012, they landed one guard and one forward
2013 - 3 guards
2014 - 1 guard, 4 wings (none over 6'1")
2015 - 2 guards and they just landed 6'4" Degrate

If they land Durr to 2015, that's great, but they are so thin and small up front that I don't see it as a recipe to cut down the nets. Sure they have made it to NC games, but the mismatch against UCONN (and really beating Baylor and Griner was a miracle too) is very evident. If they land Durr in 2015 and are done in that class they will have something like...

9 guards
4 wings
1 forward (Walton)
1 post (Degrate)

I know on L'ville's roster, they list most of the wings as forwards, but they really do lack some serious size to be sure...

Reaction Score
L'ville's problem, IMHO, is that they have all guards and wings and barely any forwards or posts.

2013 - 3 guards

If they land Durr to 2015, that's great, but they are so thin and small up front that I don't see it as a recipe to cut down the nets. Sure they have made it to NC games, but the mismatch against UCONN (and really beating Baylor and Griner was a miracle too) is very evident. If they land Durr in 2015 and are done in that class they will have something like...

9 guards
4 wings
1 forward (Walton)
1 post (Degrate)

I know on L'ville's roster, they list most of the wings as forwards, but they really do lack some serious size to be sure...

You're right. L'Ville does not have great balance. I think that this is a result of Walz's recruiting style—he casts a wide net and gives out scholarship offers pretty early on an first come first serve basis regardless of position. However, L'Ville still has 4 spots left for 2015 and they are still in the mix for 6'5" Kalani Brown, 6'4" Beatrice Mompremier, 6'7" Teaira McCowan, 6'3" Samantha Fuehring, and 6'2" Troyian Brooks who is ranked the lowest of the group at #34 by ASGR. Granted Brown and McCowan have been rumored to be leaning elsewhere for a while. And DeGrate's commitment might steer Mompremier elsewhere since they are both centers. But Fuehring is ranked #26 by PN and seems like she could be a great college player and a perfect successor to Sara Hammond while Brooks could be a sleeper type. But it is indeed a bit bizarre that L'Ville was runner-up for 6'5" Mercedes Russell from '13 then went on a bender of landing strictly guard/wing players until finally getting DeGrate.

It would be huge if L'Ville gets Durr but I think Jeff's lack of priority on recruiting for balance position wise will ultimately keep Louisville in the Elite 8/Final 4 range and not a national championship contender, similar to how McCoughtry and Schimmel were superstars but only able to get them so far as runner-up. Also, you can bet some guards/wings will not be happy and transfer out.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

2013 - 3 guards

9 guards
4 wings
1 forward (Walton)
1 post (Degrate)

Eh they are about the same size as UCONN.
They have listed on their roster this year
Vails 6-4
Hammond 6-2
Walton 6-3
Hines Allen 6-2

UCONN is
Stokes 6-3
Stewart 6-4
Tuck 6-2

UCONN picks up some size 2015/2106
Stewart 6-4
Tuck 6-2
Butler 6-5
KLS 6-3
Boykin 6-2

vs Louisville
Walton 6-3
Hines Allen 6-2
Degrate 6-4

Not a lot, but about the same as UCONN this year.

Reaction Score
I wonder if Durr commits to Baylor (I have no inside info), will that increase their chances at Cox? From what I've been hearing, as of now Cox is leaning towards Texas or Baylor (though a few schools may still be in the mix). A Durr-Cox is scary.

Louisville's problem isn't size, but that don't have a single very good/elite post. All of their best players are guards/wings.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
Louisville still has officials with S. Fuehring and K. Brown on the horizon. We could take up to 6 kids in this class, though I do not think we would want to. Right now we have 3 verbals, and a potential 4th, in Durr. If we could get one of two aforementioned post players, I would be happy.
I think the likelihood is higher for Fuehring over Brown, but just my opinion based on chatter, no real knowledge.

Reaction Score
Prospects Nations reports to Louisville. Wow. Pretty cool.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Good get for Louisville. Congrats to them.

I did a double take at this line from Swish Appeal's article: "With the success he's had with elite guards in the recent past, Angel McCoughtry and Shoni Schimmel, it's no wonder Durr figured that Louisville would be the best place to hone her skills."

Certainly Walz can coach guards, but Muffet has a pretty good track record with Diggins, McBride, and Loyd. And Mulkey did ok with Sims. Lots of reasons to choose Louisville but I'm not sure that one makes Louisville the clear choice.

Reaction Score
ACC with 13 of the top 50 players
SEC and B10 with 8.
All other conferences combined = 10.

Still available = 11.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

I did a double take at this line from Swish Appeal's article: "With the success he's had with elite guards in the recent past, Angel McCoughtry and Shoni Schimmel, it's no wonder Durr figured that Louisville would be the best place to hone her skills."

Certainly Walz can coach guards, but Muffet has a pretty good track record with Diggins, McBride, and Loyd. And Mulkey did ok with Sims. Lots of reasons to choose Louisville but I'm not sure that one makes Louisville the clear choice.
Best to see what her reasons were - "It was the family environment, the fan base, the support, the players and the coaches," she said. "It felt like home as soon as I got on campus."

Jim

Reaction Score
Best to see what her reasons were - "It was the family environment, the fan base, the support, the players and the coaches," she said. "It felt like home as soon as I got on campus."
You have to know that no recruit is going to say, "It was Jeff Walz buying beers at the Yum Center!"

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Yes, just to be clear I wasn't criticizing her logic; I was criticizing the logic of that Swish Appeal article.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I would have preferred her be in the Black and Blue.... but at least she stayed in the ACC and not the Big 10 or Big 12. I'll get to see her in person a few times a season.... I wish her well.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Have to say I did a double-take with that sentence as well.

It'll be interesting to see how Walz does with higher expectations. He's shown he can get to the FF by capturing lightning in a bottle (Angel, Shoni and 3-point shooting, gimmick defenses). It's different when recruiting raises the expectations. The expectations last season were higher after the 2013 FF run and I thought his team was largely undisciplined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom